Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Does anything different happen if you don’t wash yourself after doing the autopsy?

There's some dialogue about it in the ending. Guess I should've explored the bathroom more thoroughly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

The key thing is to not be terrible at any particular skill. There are no dump stats.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/DiscoExcerpt/status/1306924948355715074

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Hwurmp posted:

They say "People are more likely to tolerate weird behavior from cops" at some point early on, I forget when

Loading screen.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I wonder if the idea to make the main character a cop started as some sort of explanation as to why you can say all this absolutely crazy poo poo and nobody calls health services or throws you out of their store.

This had to be part of it.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

My character managed to say a lot of fascist and antifascist things, and Kim was impressed that he held both ideologies.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Xander77 posted:

Still things I've never seen in this game. Garte's love quest, sure, but how do you bring it up to the HB's?

I said it a few times to Garte and then it came up as an option when I was talking to the Hardies.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

The moment that really sold the game for me was a failed check early on. I attempted to sneak away from Garte after he demanded that I pay for my hotel room. Failing the check had me run away at full speed, turn, extend both middle fingers, and pause to go through several dialogue options that made it clear I was about to crash into Lena. Apparently you can die of a heart attack there, and I'm honestly not sure whether that would've been better than surviving and having to explain myself.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Doesn't he stop if you bring him a replacement?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Some copotypes lead to thoughts. Once you've internalized those thoughts, they provide stat modifiers.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Based on the description Inland Empire isn't the perfect fit for that, but I can't think of anywhere else it'd fit better.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

The conversation with the corpse that you get from passing an Inland Empire check is pretty essential to understanding just how supernatural the skill is.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I did encyclopedia, logic and physical instrument which made for an interesting character. Couldn't catch anything thrown at me, though.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Apparently the Palerunner achievement is for glitching the game, which definitely feels in line for DE.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Time only passes when you make choices during conversations and other interactive segments.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Animal-Mother posted:

There was a phone in the Whirling. Evrart has a phone or two at his disposal. If Klaasje called him for advice, we have to ask why she knows him and his number. Did he bring her to Martinaise in the first place? Did he instruct the deserter to shoot the mercenary, as he'd done with other people before?

Why would the deserter take orders from Evrart? Did I miss something?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

nurmie posted:

Eh, I'm not too sold on that, personally. I don't think the pieces line up, really - Evrart didn't know about Klaasje's past, I'm pretty sure, and the logistics of the situation wouldn't allow him to plan it all that well, or react to it in any reasonable way, imo. He definitely used the situation to his own end though - further escalating the feud and pushing the conflict to become violent.

Also, I don't think it would work all that well thematically speaking - if Evrart arranged the murder of the merc, that really takes the agency and the character depth away from the Deserter. The whole story works much better if the Deserder killed the merc on his own volition, at least that's what seems to me. Furthermore, Klaasje's strength as a character suffers as well - plus, there are several witness statements that corroborate each other pointing towards Klaasje being the sole source of the lynching plan, *and* that makes much more sense narratively speaking.

:same:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I think you have to talk to Evrart to get your gun, but that's not necessary to finish the game. I don't think anything else is locked behind him.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

He's almost certainly talking about himself at that age.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It works out if you pretend 2020 just never happened.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Disco Elysium: you have much to learn about the ways of disco, friend

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

...Harry running around half naked, taking a ton of drugs, and ignoring everything everyone says.

That is definitely a way you can play Harry.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Who would play Kim?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Any characters from Disco Elysium aren't the blank slate you'd need to make a game like Disco Elysium work.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

If that were actually revealed at some point, you wouldn't be the only one who remembered it.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It'd be nice if they threw in a "you're not fooling anyone", but phrased the way Kim would say it.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Hawkperson posted:

I wouldn't say no to just a hair of a tick down in volume tho. just a hair

gently caress does Cuno care?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

If they haven't put out a date yet that's not a great sign for us getting it in March, but who knows?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Sierra Madre posted:

Bad news if you're Australian and expecting to play this game on consoles.

It will be interesting to see how the devs react. I
can almost see them reacting the same way Devolver did with Hotline Miami 2, even if that means they don't appeal the decision and the game can no longer be sold here, which would be tragic.

Did they classify the original release? No shortage of drugs there.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Think of conversations in DE as taking the role of combat in more traditional RPGs. Not in the sense that every conversation is conflict, but in the sense that it's an encounter and you have to finish it before you can do anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Brosnan posted:

Hey folks, I was thinking I'd write a new OP and make a new thread for the Final Cut release, partly with the intention of letting new players come in for what they need without fear of the minefield of spoilers. Any objection?

I think that's a good idea.