Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I was a radical feminist for a bit but it wasn’t clear to me that it was creating more dialogues choices. Whenever there were options to say a feminist thing there were also options to say the non-feminist thing. So I opted to forget that thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Is Inland Empire just supposed to be a less reliable of Shivers then?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I had trouble believing they could come up with a balanced amount of content for all of the stats. The result was I spent like 10 whole minutes at the initial stat screen, speculating what stats were most likely to present ~ content ~.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Encyclopedia, inland Empire, shivers, what else?
In the end I went hard for the intellect branch: logic, encyclopedia, rhetoric, drama, conceptualization and visual calculus. For the longest time I had next to no points in psyche, physique and motorics (except Perception).

Of the ones I picked, I'd say logic and encyclopedia had the most "content." Visual calculus was rare, but when it does get used, it creates those sick crime scene simulations which are totally worth it.

Would be good to hear from someone with experience in Suggestion, Endurance, Pain Threshold, Physical Instrument, Half Light and Savoir Faire. Those, it seemed to me, have few applications.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Cuno is by some distance my favorite voiced character ever and I'm sad I can't find any videos of the actor doing the voice. It's stuck in my head.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Vichan posted:

gently caress DOES CUNO CARE?
so glad this exists

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoGlE4G8DyE

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

You don’t need endurance, you just need to use a potion or whatever by clicking the health icon at the bottom left. Took me multiple runs of that exchange to figure this out. I, too of no endurance, kept dying.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

They should have a quicksave button

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The gently caress, I had no idea there was a quicksave button. I swear I clicked through the hotkeys menu specifically looking for it. I've been saving and loading by going through the loving menu

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

RPS's review was glowingly positive, let's not mischaracterize it. The only major complaint Bell had was that the game throws a fuckton of worldbuilding text at you, and if you don't care for that world then the game really holds no appeal for you.

The implicit contrast, I think, is that other RPGs have mechanics like combat and stealing and whatever. Those things tide you over when the world-building doesn't click with you. I think that's a fair point.

In any case, the Recommended decision seems to always come from a very personal place for RPS. I can think of plenty of games where I felt their recommendation was undeserved. I can respect that they aren't pretending to be neutral like the other sites. Don't think we need to dunk on them, particularly when this game is in no shortage of accolades.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Which thought is it? I don't think I've come across a thought that's so obviously bad and not good.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

If you guys are gonna shitpost please do it in the voice of one of the skills so this is at least mildly entertaining

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I love this game and I love Kim and his voice but as an Asian dude it doesn't feel right that he's voiced by some white guy.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I'm on the fence about whether they should have made it skippable. I think it's lent a real sense of surprise because you chose to make the innocuous decision of taking a nap in a random rear end bed. But it's such a thematically essential scene that I'd feel bad for anyone who missed it.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I think if there's one thing playing the game up to that point teaches you, it's that doing the inappropriate thing is often the more rewarding decision.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Deckit posted:

Ha, I never noticed Measure Head's babe had Measurehead's portrait just dominating the back half. Wonder if that's because her position is always in front of Measurehead or because Measurehead dominates her thoughts. Such a detailed oriented game, drat. :allears:

I never saw this either and it's so blindingly obvious, wow.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Animal-Mother posted:

You know how sometimes you'll be reading a book and the author will describe the appearance of a character and you just decide, "No, he doesn't look like that." That's how I feel about Kim's voice. He doesn't sound like that and you can't make me think he does. :colbert:
It is a white guy voicing an Asian dude so you’re right there

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Just found out that Disco Elysium was mostly funded by Margus Linnamäe, an insanely wealthy Estonian venture capitalist and business magnate. Flipped privatized Soviet-era companies for a big profit, invests in just about every thing these days and parks his money in offshore companies. And now he owns the country's largest newspaper with which he sways national politics towards nationalist and conservative views.

I guess no game gets made as independently as Stardew Valley these days, but there's certainly some irony that such a game gets funded by... such a person.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I'd rather they spent the time making each skill equally worthwhile. Add a few more lines of dialogue here and there for the underused skills. To me that'd really complete the game -- rather than having full voice acting.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The old portraits for the skills were cool but utterly forgettable. I can’t remember a single one of them. But maybe it was better that way — made me pay attention to the text instead.

I wonder how actual faces is gonna change the experience.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

frajaq posted:

tfw people start talking like Measurehead irl

Incredible

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

In a very US-centric sense Disco Elysium is kinda the culmination of the post-Obama mid-Trump cynicism of the 2010s. Its happiest moment involves a freakin' giant insect that doesn't even exist in its own fictional world. I love this drat game but two presidents later maybe history will look back on this as exhaustingly depressing.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

You can now get this :allears:

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I don't really agree that they should be recasting at all. Re-recording, sure, but recasting? The equivalent of that would be reviled in the movie industry, even for a Director's Cut or whatever.

Especially for a good loving game such as this, it really shouldn't be surprising that people see fidelity as important.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

As a style nerd I think they really should use em dashes, but the asterisk emphasis retain a lot of charm imo. Anyway this will all become immaterial as the game becomes 100% voiced, a decision I'm still not sure about. Hate to sound like a stick in the mud but as the other guy put it:

wizardofloneliness posted:

I'm actually not super pumped about getting full voice acting in the first place. More voice acting does not necessarily equal better to me. It's not a negative either, it's just sort of there. I tend to skip past voiced dialogue in most games once I'm finished reading it anyway, so that's probably why. I liked the amount of voiced lines in DE because it was enough to make an impression and add to the character and setting, but not enough for me to get impatient and skip through it because I don't want to wait another minute for them to finish their sentence. With such a dialogue-heavy game like this, that's even more the case.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

isn’t the charm of this game that different skills seem like entirely different characters, having the same voice more than a little undercuts that

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I have to admit the Thought Cabinet seemed to have some cool pictures but they all kinda blended together for me and I can't remember a single one of them. I wish each looked a bit more distinct.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I had no idea what No Truce with the Furies means, so I googled the poem. It's from 1995, by RS Thomas, some Welsh nationalist:

quote:

Reflections
The furies are at home
in the mirror; it is their address.
Even the clearest water,
if deep enough can drown.

Never think to surprise them.
Your face approaching ever
so friendly is the white flag
they ignore. There is no truce

with the furies. A mirror’s temperature
is always at zero. It is ice
in the veins. Its camera
is an X-ray. It is a chalice

held out to you in
silent communion, where gaspingly
you partake of a shifting
identity never your own.

According to some Reddit guy this is one interpretation:

quote:

It's from the R.S. Thomas poem "Reflections," which deals with the impossibility of escaping your self-image or the shifting pieces of your identity you can see in any mirror. You can't run from them or make peace with these "Furies," these vengeful pieces of yourself, your warring mind; you can't creep up on them or possess them. Who you are is never fully within your control. The best you can do is drink in the icy truths of identity as they arrive, try to live with them. But there can be no true peace with yourself except in death.

It's thematically relevant for Disco, a game about how the past always encroaches on our present and is inescapably carried with us. You can't click your fingers and move on from it; neither can you truly forget or escape it. The best you can hope for is to confront it, reconcile with it, learn to swim in it—which H.D.B. does, and others (Rene, Klaasje, The Deserter) do not. Remember that at least one character refers to the pale as a form of the past—figuratively and perhaps literally; we learn from the phasmid that it's a human creation, and there's more of it each year, mounting and threatening to swallow us.

The poem's pretty interesting I guess, but the original game name isn't particularly evocative IMO. Disco Elysium is great.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

chaosapiant posted:

Man this sucks. I really want to replay this game a third time when the uncut edition drops, but I’m going through a bad breakup with my girlfriend. Packing my poo poo and leaving and it’s devastating and I know that If I play this game it will absolutely bring me to emotional ruin.

That’s a bit long winded and personal, but it takes a helluva powerful bit of writing to be able to do that to me.
I kinda know what you mean. Some of the stuff is pretty devastating. No harm waiting a bit and going off to play Evil Genius 2 or Cyberpunk 2077 1.2 or something else instead. Do what's right for your head.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Encylopedia is a great first-run skill imo. It provides a bunch of trivia that helps with the world-building.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Don't wear video game clothes please