Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
just started this game and i got a sweet new hat, a penchant for communism, and no stomach for corpses

game good

also possibly the first rpg I've played where you maybe don't want to click on every dialogue option? hiding the crazy seems like maybe a good strategy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

10-4 piercing the endless veil with my mind now, will report back

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

You don't necessarily want to click every option. More so when talking with "yourself" than when talking to others.
Too much introspection might or might not end well for you.

yeah i already had a full on meltdown that I'm pretty sure i could have avoided, I'm very quickly realising you need to pick your actions carefully

or just embrace hobocop psychosis idk it all looks fun

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

this communism lark seems a bit extreme, talk of firing squads and all that, but i didn't see an option for sensible nordic-style social democracy achieved through electoral politics and incrementalist reforms so gently caress it, bring on the revolution babayy!

and also in the game

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

dipped out of this thread in case of spoilers but i'm dropping back in to say

i had to do a bunch of drugs and dump a bunch of skill points i was saving in order to pass the skill check but it was worth it to DANCE HARDER THAN ANY ONE HAS EVER DANCED BEFORE

even pulled rank on kim to get him in on the action and i talked to the soul of the city while i was at it

all in all game good spread love build communism

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Failing that check was surprisingly sad, you end up calling Kim a racial slur in, what I assume, what was supposed to be a playful manner. Kim gets mad and leaves the dance party

:(

also just finished it about 10 minutes ago, what a journey, absolutely beautiful story

i think i got the good ending but I'm sure i missed some stuff

almost lost it when the phasmid showed up

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

that's fair

but on the other hand the cryptozoologists story was really sad, and this made it happier :)

also apparently you can take cuno to the island? how did i miss that? i was on good terms with him and talked to him after the shootout

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

ah well now i have mixed feelings about passing that particular skill check

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

please no kingdom come deliverance arguments in the disco thread

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

when you fail a 97% skill check

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

Berke Negri posted:

as far as i know the chest piece is the only truly important part to get

does it change anything substantial? I was wearing it for the shootout but I got shot in the leg so it didn't make any difference

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

Night10194 posted:

If you miss the dodge against the rifleman, you get shot in the chest first but the armor blocks it so you just get a cracked rib. Then you get shot in the leg.

ah, I guess I was just too drat good

also I've decided that the worst thing about this game are the stat bonuses on clothing because I absolutely cannot stop myself from going through my entire inventory every time a skill check pops up and juggling all my clothes around to maximise my chances

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

Waltzing Along posted:

Someone just gave me $100. I checked my $$ and it is in the billions. Did the game glitch or am I super rich? I saved and had to log out for a bit. Kinda in shock. Did not expect that. Also didnt expect to hit to sub 40 rolls in a row.

This happened to me too, once I left the room the money reset to the correct amount.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

Oh, yeah maybe it's intentional? Though the popup says the correct amount, it's just the wallet that displays a ridiculous number.

My first playthrough I failed the check to come up with a bad pitch, which accidentally resulted in me coming up with a good pitch and getting the money anyway, which I can only imagine is the best possible way for that scene to play out.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

what's the deal with hardcore? is it really that much more difficult?

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

sirtommygunn posted:

thread please help today i did a racism and now Kim is mad at me

it's your own drat fault for doing racism, you bastard

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

Entorwellian posted:

I wish the expansion for DE would focus on finding the Cocaine Skull that Idiot Doom Spiral talks about. Failing that, the Square Bullet Hole Murders from your ledger would be a runner up.

there's a line right at the very end (possibly a shivers check?) about somewhere, someone loads a square bullet into a square gun and it's one of my favourite throw away lines in the game

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

esprit de corps is a pretty common phrase in my experience

really want to do a playthrough that leans heavily on esprit de corps, inland empire and shivers just so i can get all that sweet background flavour text

e: i shied away from all the psychic superstar cop stuff last time so it could be fun

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

some doors can't be opened so just stick that in your thought cabinet and internalise it

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

you can't even find your own badge, what makes you think you could find a spare for your lil deputy?

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

how is the voice acting in this game so good when they're all apparently just random musicians and podcasters

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

Wafflecopper posted:

Klassje's VA owned actually

yeah i was really impressed with it the first time i heard it and then i found it was the "i just want people to have healthcare honey" girl and lol

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

iirc the weather and the lack of a boat prevent you from getting there sooner

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

also the boat you end up using is under repairs until after the tribunal

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

centrists who choose neutrality and status quo

this description is incredible and i'm upset that i somehow missed it the first time through

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i passed the check to convince that old guy to give me his sandwich but then i let him keep it because i felt bad

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

having the whole precinct laugh at you over the radio is maybe the moment I realised maybe clicking on every single dialogue option maybe wasn't necessarily a good idea

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

yeah I'm a tone over plot kind of guy, often to a fault, and to me the tone of the ending felt spot on

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

ZearothK posted:

No Truce With the Furies Grand Strategy Game when?

i would play the poo poo out of this

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

Hobo-Prez

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

Apocalypse-Prez

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

scrounging plastic bottles off parliamentarians desks so you have enough money to buy the sweet tracksuit at the capitol gift shop on the second day instead of waiting until day four when you get the key to the treasury

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

Roctavian posted:

So this is some socially-excluded quarantine brain speaking, but has anyone else noticed how Disco Elysium and Detective Pikachu have major similarities? Both feature an amnesiac supercop named Harry who is trying to discover secrets about himself to heal an emotional rift with a close loved one; a more sober-minded partner who is frequently exasperated by the antics of the primary investigator; AND OF COURSE cryptids. I'm trying to reconcile the governmental systems from both fictions but it seems like the ultraliberals and moralists rule the Pokemon universe. Anyway what kind of pokemon would the characters from DE have with them?

i tried describing the plot of DE to my girlfriend and no lie the first thing she said was "oh, like detective pikachu"

so your quarantine brain is in good company there imo

Au Revoir Shosanna fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Mar 18, 2020

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

I made sure that sending Kim away was the very last thing I did that day so I didn't miss anything with him, crazy you people did it any other way.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i mean... they're really good boots

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

The whole lead up to that is great too; pretending to go to bed, ditching Kim, sneaking into the basement, yanking off the boots, washing them in the kitchen sink in the middle of the night only to strut out the next morning all proud at your little heist. It's a great little sequence.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

SkeletonHero posted:

Finally playing this after buying it near launch and then having my computer be inaccessible for months. I'm just kind of doing whatever, went heavy on Inland Empire and am going with the flow picking whatever options seem most entertaining/Communist/Kim-friendly. I've been doing my best to avoid looking things up but I just went through the big thing on Day 4 and it was an absolute poo poo-show. I managed to save Kim but most of the Hardie boys bought it and I never found my gun so I couldn't fight back. So I looked to see if that's how it has to happen and apparently I could have had a Molotov cocktail? I had the relevant quest and the components in my inventory but the Horrific Necktie never spoke up and let me do it. I wasn't able to visit all three locations because I was dicking around with cryptozoology and the church too much. Was that the reason? I'm not going to roll back my save obviously, but I am kind of bummed that I could have turned the tide a bit but never got the option.

Pre-post edit: Proofreading my own post and this game sounds fake.

sounds like you were rushing a bit? the game makes it sound like there's a time limit but there's really not. take all the time you want.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

Somewhere the wind blows through an open window in a rundown apartment. A man reads your post. The city exhales.

Au Revoir Shosanna fucked around with this message at 15:36 on May 2, 2020

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

Horizon Burning posted:

KRZ is not nearly as good at DE and, all in all, actually kinda sucks. Maybe it was great when it came out, and maybe I should've played it when it was being released episodically, but trying to play it now and it was just a pretentious slog. Albeit with excellent presentation.

oh good I'm glad I'm not the only person who thought this

everyone raves about it but I picked it up immediately after playing through disco elysium and the difference in the quality of writing was pretty stark

the visuals and the music are very good though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

the main difference between smart and pretentious is whether I personally enjoy it or not