Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I've been hearing tales of some reviewers getting very snippy about this game, is there a good link to the best of the galaxy brain takes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Why the hell is opening the ice cream maker so hard? I have the right tool, unplugged it and everything!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Finished it myself. Great game. I take it Harry's history changes depending on what you did in the game?

Very beautiful. Very sad.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Huh.

Btw, I remember hearing how some moderate commentators didn't quite like this game (one of the major reasons why I knew I wanted to get it), does anyone have a good link about them? I could do with a dark laugh.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

One thing I really liked about this game was the ways in which the world was different and yet there were enough context clues to get a basic underlying idea of what these differences ARE, e.g. Oranje being not-Nederlands, etc., while at the same time not being stupid? At the risk of sounding stupid (so I'll really try to write this out well), I found this most obvious in the racial slurs that were used in this game. In too many other fictional settings, the slurs are very... put-on; they don't sound realistic, but in this game, even though they aren't used in real life, you could easily imagine the sound, or understand the 'logic' behind them, like loincloth or coin-slot.

Its that type of logical inference that's used throughout most of the game, and that makes it really... well-developed, I feel.

Who knows, maybe I like it because I have facial hair that is regrettably similar to Harry's.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Osmosisch posted:

Can you make The Expression though?

I can try, but I start suffering severe morale damage.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

Sounds like you need to internalize Magnesium-Based Lifeform.

but then I'd have to unlearn ethanol-based lifeform...

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Feels Villeneuve posted:

(in fairness that was a very poorly/dated phrased way to say "don't use racial caricatures in your story" which is frequently republished without the context)

Methinks Knox was bitten once too many times by the works of and those inspired by Sax Rohmer.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Now do it for the failed version.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Which of the voices in Harry's head is most likely to be the one to angrily shout "YOU JUST POSTED CRINGE"? Working on a little edit, totally unrelated to this post I promise.

For some reason, I want to say EC.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

popewiles posted:

I think it's fair to say that an assassin firing square bullets doesn't cut corners.

WOW

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Qwertycoatl posted:

The other exception is, if I'm a hobocop why do I need a hotel room? why on Earth would I use a repulsive racist slur out of the blue becasue of a failed red check when all I was trying to do was have everyone dance?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

HerraS posted:

The first time I got this I got incredibly sad when Jean loses his poo poo and tells the two cops who keep making jokes about Harry and his problems to shut the gently caress up.

It was the first time I saw the phrase 'I don't want to get better, I want to get worse'. Having been in that type of state before that... Resonated a bit too well.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

Been thinking a lot about the mask of humanity falling from capital to destroy everything we hold dear lately.

Dros may have been wrong about many things, but he was bang on the money about the bourgeoisie not being human.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Kaysette posted:

Epic’s Blue Lives Matter sale started before all this so really it’s just coincidence.

This is a joke, yes? I dare not google 'epic blue lives matter'

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Sekenr posted:

I tried Taren and while it won't let you sleep also makes you so confused and forgetful, there is no way you could run a shop.

Sounds like someone who hasn't tried it enough!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Yadoppsi posted:

Agreed on the intentional overlap but was a constraint of the medium being a videogame. Any TV adaption is going to have different material constraints. Has any recent adaption been made with a source being so reliant on inner monologues? A television or movie could maybe get the same effect across in another way.

Adaptation?

(As in, the actual movie called Adaptation).

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

paradoxGentleman posted:

does anyone know of a screenshot let's play or a liveblog or. something. I wish to experience this game vicariously through the eyes of a newbie.
i will only accept video let's plays if the let's player is like, REALLY entertaining and/or clever.
for reference to what i consider good, my favorite LPers are Norhternlion and BaerTaffy

If you want something done from a completely different (but entertaining) viewpoint, you could try ScottyDGaming's take on it if you want to see a very blase Northerner get into the game.

Well, I say Northerner, he's a Southerner by my standards. From North England, ok?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

paradoxGentleman posted:

Personally I'd love to see Northernlion or Beartaffy's take on it.

Laurentheflute is planning to LP it in the future.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Evidently they never invested into Rigorous Self-Critique.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yeah the innocence are treated basically as gods who can do no wrong because Them being an Innocence means they are history in the flesh meaning their every action isn't moral or amoral it's just What Was Meant To Happen. Even with the nods to Atheism the whole deal is still pulling a lot from religious dogma.

I did like how the Innocences were described as being able to bring things about from a non-military standpoint, but the most well known one (Franconegro) is almost synonymous with an elite cavalry regiment.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm not actually sure anyone makes reference to God in the game, though I could be wrong.

You evidently didn't pay attention to Kim making the shot...

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

Wayne June as Drama.

Oh my God.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I could only imagine a movie version of DE working by having the actual aspects physically appearing, with only Harry noticing/acknowledging them.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

FPyat posted:

I remembered that back when the game was released I saw some GamerGaters declaring the game to be cucked because of all the STRONG WOMEN who are smarter and more competent than the protagonist... That was weird.

???

?!!??!?!!??!?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Somebody in this thread suggested this, and I wholeheartedly agree.

Drama voiced by Wayne June.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Funny, I've been on tenterhooks to see one of my favourite streamers try this, but now I'm gonna hafta wait some more instead (and replay around the same time, too).

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Agean90 posted:

More excited about the new area than the voice acting tbh

Me too. Not that I doubt the V.A.s will try their best, but... The new area is promising more that full voice acting wouldn't.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

coolusername posted:

A Korean artist I follow just started playing and is making some cute/goofy/nice sketches as they start. https://twitter.com/timnehparrot/status/1339626247400263680?s=20

Link to the LP?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Pulcinella posted:

Yep this was it. I had to talk to one of the dock workers to find out more about the armor and that gave me the quest for the boots (and the rest of the armor as well).

Also sad to discover that Lena is a bit racist :( .

Mmmm.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Previously I was sad/commie cop. Next update I'm gonna try art/commie cop.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Pulcinella posted:

The Mac update is out that fixes all the crashes.

Also, I finally got the boots. The FT-500 Ceramics thought is probably the first one I’ve had that I’m probably going to erase along with volumetric poo poo. compressor when I’ve used it to raise endurance a bit.

It is a good idea to keep that thought in mind

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Dr Christmas posted:

I’ve been looking at a few blind play throughs and streams in my quest for distractions at work. A surprising amount of them come up to the first mirror, get to the part where Inland Empire gives what seems to be a facetious warning to turn back, and then actually take that warning seriously and leave the mirror. What’s the world coming to?

Links to said lps, please?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

My political goal is to be guillotined for being insufficiently revolutionary.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I wonder if there's any connection between Idiot Doom Spiral having the same initials as Ian Duncan Smith, noted psycho British Tory Uber capitalist.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

oscarthewilde posted:

i actually read Oranje more like a combination between the Netherlands and South Africa, of course an ex-Dutch colony. In terms of global position Oranje more closely resembles the Netherlands, as a powerful, Capitalist member of the Global North. But in terms of culture and geography, it's much more South Africa (but also the US, the global conflict the mercs were involved with resembles Vietnam as much as it resembles Rhodesia). Oranje is the nation of hardy mercenaries that police the globe by massacring the innocents. Even the description of Oranjese literature felt similar to what I imagine the Boer familial culture to be like. Fighting for your land, for your 'race' and finding dignity in defeat.

I've never met a nice Oranjean, and that's not odd at all, bratan, cause they're a bunch of murderous bastards who hate black people.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Fuzz posted:

The rumor is that not only are there more quests, but more actual types of cops/political affiliations you can choose from throughout the existing game.

Even if it just adds a single new type of cop, I am so in. Hell, I'll buy another copy even though it's a free update because ZA/UM deserves more money.

If this is true:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Edit: oh goodness, this'll probably mean there'll probably be strasserite-cop and fascist-futurist-cop. I look forward (i.e. will hate) to see what happens with that.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Digital Osmosis posted:

Hey fellow Hobocops! I wrote an essay on the pale and Existentialism: https://haywiremag.com/features/the-miracle-animal-and-the-pale-inside-existential-thought-in-disco-elysium/

It's my first piece of games criticism! Haywire Magazine, a (free) online games criticism magazine, was unbelievably helpful and helped me re-write my monstrous, dense, and meandering first draft into something focused and readable. I argue the pale is a metaphor for existential nothingness unique to the human condition and walk through some of the broad strokes of Sartre's philosophy using characters and situations from DE. I'm happy to talk about it if the essay sparks anyone's interest.

Will try to look out this when I have the time. Thanks!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

coolusername posted:

Still no exact date?

I've not heard anything to the alternative, alas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Regarde Aduck posted:

Half light is the fight or flight response. Freaking out is its job.

I wonder why it is called Half Light and Flight/Fight?