Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

lordfrikk posted:

What does the Inland Empire stat represent? I'm not a native speaker. It's apparently a metropolitan area in the US and also a David Lynch movie. Can't figure out more than that.
Already linked, but at the essentials it's your imagination informing your gut instincts instead of experience or logic. Your flights of fancy can just as easily lead you to mystery-relevant points of interest (before standard investigation would, if ever) as they can lead you on wild goose chases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
While I can't disprove that he's ever written under those influences, I don't know that there's any first-hand source anywhere that actually claims as fact Michael Kirkbride having taken mushrooms/LSD to write for The Elder Scrolls. There was like, an anonymous rumor on 4chan that used an image from a music video and claimed it was a picture taken by Todd Howard of Mike after locking himself in on a drug-fuelled bender.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
As far as templates go, I haven't tried to stat concretely but I thought of a hero that I'm curious to see complete this game: Inspector Hildibrand Manderville, agent of enquiry from Final Fantasy XIV!

Quick synopsis of the character: a bumbling meddler in the vein of Clouseau, with a sleepy sidekick (who specializes in pyrotechnics) and a sort-of modern Cato in the form of the player character (though it's his family that keeps him in physical peril). He's quite physically fit (though that's mostly to do bodybuilding flexes and endure extreme abuse - he's not really a fighter), a bit self-aware (gets kinda petty when someone upstages him and/or finds out the real causes/culprits while he's concocting wild theories), and kinda sweeps people into absurd situations.

I thought about him while thinking of non-explictly-Lynchian detectives who'd still be a fit for Inland Empire - his ideas and priorities are usually some dreamed-up stories that still somehow get him embroiled in the actual events of a case even when his theories are wrong. So probably fairly high FYS scores across the board (likely barring Electrochemistry - any madness about him isn't chemically induced), a mix of MOT scores (he's klutzy and often unobservant, but he'd probably also qualify for at least some Savoir Faire and Composure), actually some decent PSY with high Volition and Inland Empire, moderate Empathy, and maybe even some Espirit de Corps, and... fairly low INT across the board; his best might be Drama and Conceptualization, but even they wouldn't be THAT high.

I just know he's going to need this in his Thought Cabinet.

Hogama fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Sep 28, 2019

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
That is the design intent, yes, that Motorics are the UNquirk compared to the other three lines.

Meet the Motorics posted:

Above all, the Motorics skills make you cool. And, unlike the other skill sets, they don’t come at a huge cost. Put too many points into Physique and it turns you into a violent animal – something like Marv from Sin City. Overdo Psyche and you’re Dale Cooper on MDMA. Too much Intellect turns you a Holmesian pedant. The twist with Motorics is – there is no such twist. Ultra high levels of the Motorics skills surprise you with expanded functionality. It’s the stabilizing element of your build, the binding agent. A high Motorics cop is one smart, streetwise operator, closest to the classic Detective archetype: your Johnny Dollar or Sonny Crockett. It’s also the flashiest attribute animation-wise, and definitely the best-dressed. Which is not to say that the Motorics skills make you perfect. You may come off as jumpy or high strung. A bit of a cokehead, even. But, honestly, that’s nothing compared to the trouble you can get into with the other three.
You're the most traditionally competent detective with high MOT, but on its own you'd kind of rely on intuitions and getting the drop on hostiles (or booking it when outmatched) because you don't have the staying power of Physique, the persuasive power of Psyche, or the raw analysis of Intellect. (The immediately noticeable mechanical effect would be that both your life bars would be tiny - Endurance governs health and Volition governs Morale.)

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
You do have a little bit of flex in controlling your moment-to-moment stats if you want to try to avoid/encourage some outcomes through Clothing and Drugs. Thought Cabinet is a bit more rigid because you have limited slots and have to spend a skill point to remove anything, but completed thoughts give multiple buffs so it might not be too painful to swap out at least a few in a game.

Gonna be wild to see the speedruns on this and guy's running around collecting disparate gear and booze to slam through skillchecks.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Looking at this video for some dialogue/skill check examples that more explicit than what was in the trailer or the main site's screenshots, I see some examples of conversation with your attributes, how you can hover to see what a skill check will take, and at least once where a failure gives you some different response choices than if you'd presumably passed.

First one's on the official site, just an example of inanimate objects pitching in, too. Spoilering the others just as backup; I'm sure some want to go in with as little foreknowledge as possible.

Couldn't say I noticed explicit thresholds of when your stats might start offering feedback if it's more involved than "do you have it unlocked yes/no" but there is an example of getting a task solely from your mind. Something that stands out to me a bit more on this is noticing the passage of time; I dunno how much pressure there'll be to keep ahead of a hard limit, but the clock does keep ticking in conversations.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Alpheratz posted:

For what i understood by playing the demo last year, the skill don't really force you to choose a specific option, but determine what options you have in the first place, outside of some default ones.They do so by talking to you and forcing you to notice specific elements or try to push specific lines of talk or action. Having higher points in a skill gives it more influence on you and makes it more likely to try to push you in a specific direction, becoming potentially really angry if you fail or refuse.
That did seem to be what the automatic checks were for. Like after a hesitant reply from someone, both Authority and Empathy chimed in successfully, and the followup response choices were to rake them over the coals a bit more, reassure them, or just do a follow-up question based on a keyword. So presumably, if you fail both those auto-checks, the only response option you have is the single question?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Alpheratz posted:

well you get options relate to failing a check, or even open a completely different dialogue tree
True. Amended: you wouldn't get those two specific choices, but you might get an option that would have been too insensitive for Empathy but too unfocused for Authority, and that could have consequences of its own (because failure is engaging to the narrative, too!)
The main idea being that you still mold your available options by your Skill spread, Clothing, and Thought Cabinet ideas, in addition to choices you make.

Another thing I'm curious about : when you roll and fail a skill check that can be tried again, it puts LOCKED on that check. Do you happen to know if that's for the current conversation (so you have to back out and try again) or if some amount of time needs to pass or whatever before another attempt can be made? I'd assume the latter so you're not incentivized to just brute force coin flips on the spot, but still maybe take a shot at them since it's not necessarily a permanent failure when you miss?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I've already observed some notable Skill divergences in the two videos and feel like I grok the system better now. Minor mechanical spoilers, I guess?

You only see when your skills chime in when you have a successful check, but at character creation, you can only set your category ranks and make a single skill your Signature, which puts a point into it and increases the cap for that entire category by 1 (which means you can even have 1 Intellect and still have a skill cap of 2 for Intellect skills, if you want). So yeah, you've always got all 24 voices in your head - but with how the rolls work, the ones associated with your strongest categories are going to interject a lot more frequently. Because rolls add your category score to your skill score to your dice and compare the total to difficulty check; greater or equal means they get to chat, less than means they stay silent. So if you're starting up a Sensitive character, Inland Empire gets a lot of early influence even without a single invested point because the CATEGORY is at 5, which means that, say, the above auto-check passes with a 3 or greater roll (2 always fails, 12 always passes). But if Psyche was only 1, that roll would have to be a 7 or higher - you'd still have a fair chance with such an easy target number, but it's no longer nearly guaranteed. And that applies across the category, so a Physical character's going to get bugged by Electrochemistry for drugs a hell of a lot more often than the Thinker does.

The mirror conversation has two difficult checks that are certainly meant for either coming back with bonus help (like how stopping the fan makes it easier to make the Savior Faire check to get the Horrific Tie), but also that's where focuses start to come in as well, since you'll have a much better chance with skill points backing up your rolls. But it's never 100% and it's never 0%. Also successful checks you choose to make aren't necessarily amazing outcomes anyway - dodging out of the manager asking about your bill doesn't mean you coolly get away with it, you just kind of piss him off as you awkwardly run to the door. Anyway, seems like build theorycrafting needs to take into account the 8 category points you start with and the Signature skill.

Obvious as any of the above may or may not have been already, I'm already loving the writing.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

ShelticRule posted:

I've been looking forward to this game for quite a while, and remember watching a preview quite a ways back that showed off some gameplay. But when I watched a preview of the first 20 minutes or so of the game this morning, it motivated me to go back to the Devs' "Introducing Metric" page. And I realize that I don't know how to parse the following:
It's closer to your a), but parts of b).

Checks use your attribute + relevant skill, so your Motoric 4 cop automatically has a base of 4 anytime those skills get checked. Someone playing a Motoric 1 cop only has a base of 1.
When you put points into a skill, your rolls improve further, but you can only put points up to your cap. So, unaltered, your Motoric 4 cop can have a base of up to 8 in any one Motorics skill (MOT 4 + Skill 4).

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

frajaq posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxYJyMFjbao

"I want to have gently caress with you"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yD264rtpj7w
This is 1:22:46 extended game time, continued from directly after the first 18:22 video.
Obviously more spoilers - but more chances to see the characters and how the skills flow and interact, and honestly it seems to still be barely scratching the surface of the game.
No less than three Skills are incensed that the manager rejects your plan to sing karaoke! And there's more intra-Skill responding than just Volition.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Was thinking about how this isn't a game of particularly high numbers. Though I don't know the actual max potential caps, so far the lowest difficulty check I saw was 8 and the highest was 18. So you'd need a total of 15 points in a single skill to have the best odds you'll ever have for that; that'd require a 7 in the Attribute and 8 Skill Points to do without other bonuses, which is something you can't get from character creation (though the preview images on their site do show a 7 Attribute). 6 in the Attribute and 7 Skill Points would only need to make up 2 from items, though, which should be easy; heck, even 5 Attribute and 6 Skill only needs to make up 4 points. I'd anticipate being able to achieve that with maybe 2-3 Skills in a normal playthrough, though the more you do, the fewer resources you'd have to spread elsewhere. Not to mention the mechanic of "adding a point unlocks white checks" means there's a bit of a tactical aspect in the timing of leveling - you might not want to rush your levels. But you also have to have a threshold for the MANY passive rolls, so it's not like sitting on a hoard of unused points is the strongest strategy, either.

But anyhow, the chart helps me visualize some things: assuming you have to beat the difficulty like the METRIC blog says and not just match the roll like I saw happening in an early build, whatever Attribute(s) you have at 1 enjoy a little worse than coin flip odds to chime in on the easiest rolls for associated Skills. That drops to a mere 16.7% for Normal checks! Mitigating that's possible, but even an investment's only going to really help with baseline competence. But that might be enough to get by.

Something I've read to consider for anyone planning on a low Physique run (minor early spoilers): the Volumetric poo poo Compressor Thought is obtained from vomiting multiple times while trying to deal with the hanging corpse. This is probably a useful Thought to keep active because Endurance also serves for your Health pool, so it's one of your few ways to compensate for your squishiness.

Hogama fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Oct 6, 2019

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

It's a little thing but I like that your cop has a body that can be read alternatively as "age and alcoholism covering a sturdy frame" or "weak, flabby intellectual" with the same model.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

ChrisBTY posted:

Wish they would set a price though.
It's not on the storefront yet but the price is supposed to be $39.99 US.
https://twitter.com/studioZAUM/status/1180123328591355904

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

SlightlyMad posted:

https://twitter.com/CohhCarnage/status/1180878673936867333

https://www.twitch.tv/cohhcarnage

I must resist watching this, but maybe some of you want to see it.

8am ET = 12 at noon GMT (Greenwich Mean Time).
New page reminder that this is in 15 minutes.

SlightlyMad posted:

FextraLife will be another channel streaming Disco Elysium some time on Tuesday.

https://twitter.com/Fextralife

https://www.twitch.tv/fextralife
This one's live right now, too.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
And on that note, Cohh failed a roll and got Morale damage and got a game over.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Cohh just discovered some Morale loss wasn't instant even at 1 point, and had time to use a healing item before it depleted.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Well, the margin of error at 1 is however many health restorative items you have on hand, which you will eat through like candy at 1.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Neat. Looks like the Copotype Thoughts can have some hefty build ramifications.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
An interesting look at your partner: Kim's his own man. He has his own hang-ups and little quirks and flights of fancy (like surmising one of the boot prints belongs to a drummer), if perhaps less vividly external as you have the potential for, and he has failures, too. He's not a bad cop, and seems a lot more brushed up on protocol and procedure than you, but he'll miss a lot of finer details you can muster or wring out of people, and he's no marksman. Bit more nuanced than simply the straight-man foil. Personally it's probably going to be hard to try "bad" runs where I deliberately disappoint him. :ohdear:

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://zaumstudio.com/2019/10/08/welcome-to-revachol/

Devblog about the game's primary setting. Maybe more spoilery than prior devblogs.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Crappy Jack posted:

It sounds to me like this is actually a pretty good way to miss a lot of content. Which is also what makes me so drat excited, most games only skillbranch as far as "You either succeed at the thing or you can't do it and have to do something else" as opposed to "you either succeed at the thing or you fail, which leads to an entirely new set of events and consequences", which is exactly what an RPG SHOULD do, in my mind.
I brought it up before, but it was on display again in the stream, so a decent upfront example: If you fail your Endurance check while trying to examine the hanging corpse, you throw up. Kim then suggests you go pick up some ammonia to help clear your head. Once you get some, you get +1 bonus to your roll and unlock the chance to try again. Failing the SECOND Endurance check has Kim telling you to get your poo poo together before you try again. This unlocks the Volumetric poo poo Compressor Thought, which requires half an hour of ingame time to pass to internalize. Once it's done, all your Endurance white checks are unlocked and your Endurance skill cap is raised to 4. (You also get a hefty +6 bonus to your roll for checking the corpse.) You skip ALL of that if you pass your check the first try - which you'll PROBABLY only do with a high FYSique score, which renders the Thought largely worthless to you anyhow.

Now, I don't recall any examples shown at the time, but at least some Thoughts are also supposed to be conversation influencers down the line if they're active, so it's entirely possible that you'll miss out on a dialogue option or two without Volumetric poo poo Compressor active, if not just more roll bonuses like the +6. (More immediately, it's a build shaper for having used FYSique as a dump stat: if you have 1 FYS, this effectively raises your max Endurance score to 5, which means 5 Health, which is slightly better than if you'd started with 2 FYS. If you started with 2 FYS, your max score goes to 6, which would be roughly equivalent to having started with 3 FYS. But none of that matters if all your stats are already capped.)

Hogama fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Oct 9, 2019

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Comparisons to Alpha Protocol seem rather apt as you're definitely not getting the full effect without multiple playthroughs to see the reactive changes to choosing different sequential approaches and dialogue options, only compounded here because it's at an even more granular level. I mean, I assume the main storyline is always going to follow mostly the same trajectory regardless of how well you investigate, but your Thinker Superstar Cop is going to feel like a different story from your Sensitive Cop of the Apocalypse, and both are going to be different from your Physical Hobocop's game, and all of those have plenty of possible permutations depending on where you side with the different factions.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

alpha protocol was 15 hours or so. this can apparently clock in at 90

i don't think many people are going to be able to mine every permutation of events by themselves, it'll instead be a lot of water-cooler talk about how everyone's different runs went
Oh, for sure, but even a second playthrough of your own sounds like it'll be a markedly different experience unless you deliberately take all the same steps in the same order.
(But perhaps with a break in-between, 180 hours sounds like a hefty commitment all at once.)

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Perhaps a hamster posted:

You can fail to solve the case and there are multiple endings.
That doesn't preclude the broad "main acts" from progressing in roughly the same sequence for most of the game. At this stage I'm feeling that totally failing the case will be more of a late-game thing with ending implications and not "oh well, guess you couldn't solve the case day 1, here's completely different 60-hour-long B and C-path scenarios for the rest of the game," not least of the reasons being that your partner seems to be there to prod you towards at least seeing the whole thing through, whether you're successful or not. (Though the possibility for at least some extensive side-quest paths to lead to endings of their own shouldn't be ruled out, and/or just running out of time while not actually trying to move the main investigation along) Or to put it another way, existing open world RPGs still generally have a set track for the Story Quest and lots of fluff and side-content to get lost in otherwise. It's already a lot of developmental time and assets to do one "big" story with a lot of variant outcomes.

(If I'm wrong, I'll be gladly wrong.)

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I saw one streamer actually pass the Suggestion check with Klaasje. The response was far more muted than the failure one.
Just reinforcing to me that a game of succeeding with all your rolls isn't necessarily going to get you what you want, though it will be different from frequent failure.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
It's kind of great seeing streamers get increasingly exasperated by how much of a gently caress-up your detective is/has been and absolutely flabbergasted by meeting Measurehead. (Paraphrasing one: "wait... is he, insulting... white people?")

Kyle Hyde posted:

As someone who always stats characters to maximize dialog choices and seeks them out, this game's potential is both exciting and frightening.
I have no idea how much it keeps up and how you can follow through, but it's been interesting that so far most of the red checks I've seen (early Day 1 spoilers) seem to have more immediately positive effects if you FAIL - like when Physical Instrument wants you to impress a pair of old guys playing a *balls* game, success has you just straight up yeeting a ball into the ocean... which is NOT how their game is played! But failure just has you make an embarrassing pitch towards the other balls, and life goes on.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Kyle Hyde posted:

Speaking of stats, I wonder how that evolves down the line. It looks like between the Thought Cabinet and various clothing the potential range between good and bad skills can be appreciable. I wonder if, like other games, initial stat choices become less relevant as time goes on because most of your increases come from external means.
It’s seemed to me so far that clothes and drugs are generally your instant number boosts, in addition to proper investigation, interview, tools and active Thoughts tending to bump up certain specific checks. I haven’t seen a lot of Thought rewards giving straight numbers over circumstantial bumps and cap increases, but I also haven’t yet seen a lot of Thought rewards.

One thing that seems interesting about Drugs is that your temporary Attribute increase also gives you a higher cap while active? So if you had some skill points lying around you could take the damage to raise your Skills without investing in a Thought you might not otherwise need. But related to that, you could also decide to drop a Thought once you’ve invested all the points you want, like say one just sets your cap in a Skill to 6; once you have 6 points allocated, you can ditch the Thought and still have all the points in that Skill.

But your Attributes are still pretty important; after all, each point is equivalent to 6 Skill points even before considering they determine the base caps. You’re probably not going to have nearly enough points over a game to raise everything you want without editing your file, so having a good start should still help for the duration of the game.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
It wasn't a final build but I saw an amusing bug on stream where the player clicked a point of interest with no immediate path and the hapless detective decided to try clipping through a building and walking on their own past the painted zone into the abyss.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

adamarama posted:

I'm wanna play Sherlock - high int and motorics, think that's one of the default builds. Does that block me from developing Shivers in the physical tree? That sounds like the most interesting skill in the game but I'm not interested in the rest of the physical skills.
It'll mean you start with a low cap (the default has 2 FYS so your starting max score for Shivers will be 4, or 5 if you make it your Signature Ability). Some drugs will raise your FYS by 1 while active, which should mean you can bump that up another point. I haven't yet seen it present, but I'd be surprised if there isn't at least one Thought Cabinet reward that raises Shivers's cap specifically. But that's a long way to say, "No, there should be some way to focus on Shivers without necessarily investing in the rest of the FYS Abilities."

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Freaking Crumbum posted:

i'm suddenly worried that it's going to be another PS:T-style glorified visual novel with only the most minor contrivances to make it technically count as a game
It's a glorified CYOA visual novel/adventure RPG, except without a separate combat system this time (combat's just another kind of "conversation"). If you don't want to putter around gathering junk and talking to a lot of NPCs, this isn't likely to be your jam.
(A lot of people WANTED Torment to ditch the perfunctory fights in the first place, though.)

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Davincie posted:

its absurd to me that a small indie team can release a nearly bugless 60 hour rpg while every major game studio releases buggy messes
I'm guessing the gameplay scope helps with that, though even without needing to really worry about AI or whatnot, it's pretty amazing that a game with so many subtle flags that can shape dialogue trees has been so coherent for reviewers.
(It might break more regularly once it's out in the wild; that's when you get the largest stress test with the widest pool of hardware, after all.)

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
All the abilities have their own personality, which has been one of their main ideas for the project.
The negative sides might even be surprising, like, say, Empathy. Sure, it helps you know what lines of questioning are distressing a witness. But then it'll push you towards, say, relaxing your chosen feminist tenets because really, that girl needs a Man before she becomes a spinster. And also on that note, the other guy she might possibly have liked? Yeah, it's best to manipulate him into having a strong negative view of her. Empathy just wants what's best for You.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Some mechanical spoilers on Copotypes and politics (you can eventually see them in-game, but I don't believe you have the knowledge upfront at the start).

There are four political philosophies accounted for: Communist, Fascist, Ultraliberal, and Moralist.
There are also four Copotypes: Superstar, Apocalypse, Sorry, and Boring.
You can also track how often you try Good Cop/Bad Cop and exercise Honour.

There's probably at least one Ability that's particularly tied to each.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
The unhidden achievements aren't particularly spoilery except for knowing you can choose X type of dialogues/actions Y times for the cheevo.
Also that you can, in fact, eventually either earn Kim's respect or get him REALLY fed up with you. (Maybe both???)

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
The Info panel might help you decide with the "COOL FOR:" suggestions.

Also,

SelenicMartian posted:

High motorics could absolutely make the character kinaesthetic and in a dire need to touch things to process them.
Does this help at all?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
My Superstar Cop is talking to a local girl who admits I've been running around before today with no shirt on telling people I'm a star.

Now I'm even more curious how this changes if I'd picked a different Copotype.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Davincie posted:

has anyone figured out how to unlock new thought slots?
Click a slot that's not unlocked that's above one that IS. Unlock it with a Skill Point.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I'm making a lot of saves, but I'm going to try and resist the urge to ignore them as best as I can. But "You suffer chest pains reaching up for your tie. You are no longer able to attempt to reach for your tie again until you level up." ... *quickload*
I did this before turning off the fan, but I had enough Health to soak the 1 loss and it came back to me as a +1 Health gain after I stood there dying for a moment. Also, turning the fan off right afterwards let me try again with a +3. Best to do it without the pants on, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

Man, the communist thought is worthless
I've found one early area it helps in. +2 to the Volition check for asking Joyce for money.