Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
So, I’m definitely buying the final cut of this. Been looking forward to it for some time and am grateful to have the opportunity to play it at all. That amount of text doesn’t work for someone who’s got eyesight as lovely as I do.

Anything in particular you should know going into this? It looks real PS:T in terms of your RP potential, which is cool for sure. I’m generally okay with just rolling with my choices, but if there are any stupid gotchas, it would be nice to know.

Also, I’m not going to complain over much, but most of that VO sounds super stiff. I do like the accents though, and like I said I’m just happy to have this game be accessible to me in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Thanks a ton. That’s exactly the kind of stuff I wanted to avoid. The older I get, the less I like those kinds of things in games. We only get so much time to play. Just want to tool around and have fun defining a character without worrying about poo poo like that.

This is less important, but I’m super curious about it. The game is obviously political, and any amount of research will make it very clear where the developers land on the spectrum, and yet they included some pretty repellent political options. I’m a full blown leftist gay space communist, but I’m still curious, do the centrist and rightwards political avenues mock the player for choosing them? It’s interesting how you get this spectrum of political expression, but prevailing culture outside of the game, and all that, makes me wonder how those less tasteful angles are handled by the developers, their own political biases aside.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Staltran posted:

IIRC the narration is pretty scathing if you go moralist (centrist). And pretty much the only character the game seems to actively hate and have (almost) no sympathy for at all is a moralist. And fascism goes like EorayMel said, and also makes it pretty clear you're a pathetic loser with the tone the narrator takes. Actually I remember seeing some review where some fash guy was complaining about the game being mean to him.

Interesting. This is pretty much what I expected. I’m down for authorial intent, and gently caress fascists, but I’m a touch disappointed that the game’s agenda is so transparent. I will say I think it’s pretty awesome that the game has an evident message reflected in mechanics at all. Can’t think of too many games that do a good job of that.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

coolusername posted:

I took a mix of options because I wanted good results in individual conversations and ended up getting called out in the game hard for my incompatible theories and centrist dithering.

Ok that’s pretty loving cool.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Really great answers, thanks goons. If anything I’m more pumped to play it now.

Oh before I forget, does it have object highlighting? And a scalable interface? Both help me a lot, visually speaking.

unattended spaghetti fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Mar 25, 2021

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

coolusername posted:

It definitely is a game that rewards you for really roleplaying a character and leaning into the concept hard, rather than treating it like a “pull each conversation option lever to get +1?romance without considering what your character is saying” type of RPG, and having both internal narration and npcs react to my cowardice approach and terrible “like me I have no principles” conversation dithering was hilarious.

Yeah while I wish games would lean into ideological fluidity in a smooth way, I think it’s hard to do without making the character you’re playing feel nebulous. This kind of thing, tweaking the player’s tendency to try to optimize, is something I really like. Kind of like when player’s are inclined to use the conversation skills in a game because they’re the auto-win dialog button. Obsidian does a nice job with this in a lot of their games where the content of what you’re saying is far more important than the skill you’re using to negotiate the conversation. Sure, you can intimidate that dude, but even if you do so successfully, there may be a negative consequence for it.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

i am a moron posted:

DE is interesting in that it’s truly art. People take a lot of different things away from it. I’m always personally surprised people are so wrapped up in the politics, it struck me as 100% humorous commentary woven into a story about human beings. And I think it plays basically 0 part in the real thrust of the game.

Well from the perspective of someone who has yet to play it, the human element seems downplayed in service to the political one. But if the writing is sharp enough to circumnavigate the pitfalls of a politically focused narrative and lends humanity to its cast, so much the better.

I think the reason I brought all this up is because while one might agree with the authorial perspective, a piece of art is often cheapened when its political agenda is laid bare. It doesn’t have to be, but once you get into that territory, you’re walking a very fine line. But the way everyone has responded only heartens me.

I think, again, why I asked about this stuff beforehand was because of the prevailing toxicity, high degrees of rhetorical pyrotechnics, and intense conflict that are indicative of the current global environment. If this game were merely a snide commentary on that, I think it would diminish its value to me, personally. This is all air, I’m playing it regardless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

EorayMel posted:

Only about 12 hours to go until it can drop any time after :toot:

I’ve never tried to snag something right on release. Is it worth staying up to see if it drops or is Sony likely to just put it up tomorrow morning? Didn’t see a preload option so I’m guessing the latter?

vvv thank you kindly.

unattended spaghetti fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Mar 29, 2021