Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I feel like this game is either going to be a masterpiece that rewrites the rulebook for what isometric RPGs can do or an overambitious failure.

I have to say, I'm theoretically into everything they're doing, but I don't have the confidence the team is gonna be able to accomplish what they say they want to accomplish.

Fingers crossed they prove me wrong and this post will be mocked for its lack of faith in the future, though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
https://www.pcgamesn.com/disco-elysium/disco-elysium-detective-politics

quote:

One situation requires you to break into a harbour, but the gates are guarded by a towering figure who has been terrifying the local striking dock workers.

“When you finally go talk to him you understand why they’re afraid to go past him – not only is he giant, he’s very black, and has very weird theories about race,” Kurvitz explains. “He’s basically what we call a Semanese supremacist. He wouldn’t call himself a racist, he would call himself a race theorist. And if you internalise his philosophy he may let you in.”

Adopting such radical lines of thought is, as we know from the real world, an incredibly dangerous path to walk. But this is where one of Disco Elysium’s most fascinating mechanics come into play. Akin to the ‘mind palace’ of Sherlock Holmes, your detective has a ‘thought cabinet’, which is “a kind of inventory we have for thoughts,” Kurvitz explains. “You go around and do other things and then it pops up ready and gives you the answer.”

While the thought cabinet will allow you to come to several important realisations on your journey, it can have lasting implications. Referring back to the Semanese guard, Kurvitz explains that one way past him would be to use the results of the thought cabinet to go along with his race theory. “He will grant you passage for that, but you will never get that thought out of your head,” he says. “You have accepted his way of thinking.” It seems even choices confined to your own mind will have far-reaching consequences in Disco Elysium.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I mean, I'm more concerned with the fact that the first example the dev pulled out of a hat for "how we handle race in our games" is a scary "very black" man who happens to have "ideas" about race.

Does it necessarily mean the game will be poo poo at handling these topics? No, but between this, the way another thought cabinet thought is named "Inexplicable Feminist Agenda", the lack of gender selection, I think there is reason to be *skeptical*.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I don't think the flippant tone is 100% resonating with me, but the reactivity and amount of options they've shown so far is very impressive. If nothing else, if this is successful, it will show developers that no, they don't need to integrate a combat system into their game and they can indeed actually do something weird with their isometric RPG, because as much as I love delving into dungeons, the genre has been limiting itself for a very long time.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I'm not basing myself on the screenshots of some goon but on the footage of the game I've seen so far. I mean, no piece of art can be flippant 100% all of the time, but I'd say Disco Elysium is flippant enough that it easily qualifies for the definition. And if that's your thing, that's totally fine.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

ShelticRule posted:

Most streamers have been showing off the game by picking off the wall responses and the consequences, which creates a flippant character.

This is definitely fair. It's possible a more well-rounded, subdued character won't be addressed by his own thoughts in such an exaggerated way, though I feel like a lot of the options given are specifically leaning into the sort of heightened reality/exaggeratedly comical tone. And again, I wanna stress that this isn't me criticizing that tone as much as coming to terms with the fact that it's probably not gonna be for me. By which I mean, it might make me groan here and there, not that I'm gonna bury the game in a ditch with all the remaining unsold copies of ET.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I didn't read that update, but I do wonder if WEIRD poo poo is why you wake up with no memory. You're not playing a blank slate character, you have a history, and presumably a name on your badge, but you don't remember anything?? I know a lot of games use the blank slate character as a mechanic, but I wonder if that common mechanic is actually covering up for some WEIRD poo poo explanation for why you have no memory. Something to keep an eye on, I guess.

It's certainly possible there is *weird poo poo* going on regarding that, but also, the main character is a late-stage alcoholic, so having a memory blackout isn't really out of the realm of possibilities at that point.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

itry posted:

Some people don't have an inner-voice at all, actually.

Some people can't see images in their heads either. Brains are weird.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Actually, no, the narrative/conflict isn't the same because there is no conflict resolution mechanic that's separate from the way you engage with the rest of the game. Should you ever find yourself in a violent situation, you'll still be dealing with it through the same interface you use to deal with dialogue or opening doors.

The secret of Disco Elysium is that it's an incredibly elaborate CYOA with just enough flashy visual elements to stop you from thinking about it.

EDIT: I don't mean that as a slight, btw. "Incredibly elaborate CYOA game" is what Torment should have been too, given how weak the combat was and how little it added to the game.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Honestly, I can't imagine the control scheme is *terribly* difficult to adapt compared to a lot of these cRPGs. The real-time elements basically just require you to move around, and the dialogue interface can be easily mapped to the controller, even the stuff like healing in the middle of morale damage.

I'm not saying a port is gonna be easy, frankly I don't know nothing about the game code (and because I know jackshit about game code anyway) but it certainly seems like the kind of game that could work on consoles. There are even options already for font sizes, so that's also already taken care of.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I can confirm this game includes a Disco

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

ShelticRule posted:

Has anyone heard how game saving works in this game? It's not a game where I'd want to save scum, but it would be nice if there were saved game slots, so that my wife and I would each have a game going.

Seems like just a normal save system. You have your auto-saves, quick saves and a bunch of slots for manual saves. Actually, this being a PC game, I don't even think there is a limit to how many manual saves you can make.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

iGestalt posted:

Is it known when we might start seeing reviews drop for this? Tomorrow can't come quick enough.

There is no embargo, but this is also a niche game where there isn't really an incentive to being the first to publish a review, so journos are taking their time.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Songbearer posted:

Is this game a Yes or is it a Mess

I don't want to spoiler much if it's good so I am keeping reading to a minimum

Everything I've seen points to it being very good with maybe a little bit of clunkiness and overambition on the side. Given I haven't actually played the game or even just seen it in its entirety, I don't really have deeper comments than that, but I think this one will be picked apart and looked at for a long time.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Not to be a negative nancy, but a lot of games that sold middlingly started as Steam Top Sellers so that, by itself, is no indication the game is gonna be a success. I certainly hope it is because I want it to open a market for RPGs that aren't interested in just slavishly adhering to D&D's legacy, though.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Honestly, I find the fact that this game is actually around 20-25 hours to be reassuring? It means that it's far easier to replay and that it probably doesn't drag. I like a big RPG, and I think with some types of mechanics and progression, having a lot of content can be a benefit, but it's gnarly, IMO, that it's ~*the standard*~

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

theblackw0lf posted:

Yea

https://twitter.com/eurogamer/status/1185121182263267328?s=21

I’m baffled how anyone can play this and think the game doesn’t give people enough choice to play a role

I mean, it's probably worthwhile to remember that freelancers don't get to choose the titles of the articles they submit and that the takeaway from the review seems to be less about the breadth of the options offered and more about how they're organized and what it says about the game experientially.

And it's not something you have to agree with, but it'd be good to actually try to at least understand what the author was going for, before policing her for not agreeing with the consensus on the game, which is overwhelmingly positive.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Roman Reigns posted:

pretty sure the game is a smash hit at this point

Really depends on this game's budget, tbh! Early indications point to good but not *amazing* sales within its niche, with games like Wasteland 2, Pillars of Eternity 1 and 2, Torment: Tides of Numenera and Tyranny all doing better in terms of copies sold (but that's to be expected, given the game has only been out for less than a week) and, crucially, peak concurrent players on Steam.

The game has also been in development for five years but *however* it's also had a small team working on it, I think 10 at most? And probably saved a lot of money by not having to program a combat system, physical character customization, reams of voice acting, etc. Like, I'm sure it was a shitton of work to make this game nonetheless, but hopefully they calibrated the budget so that it's in line with the revenue they're getting. I'm totally fine with this being a niche game, if, well, it proves it has its niche and can survive on its own two legs, and stimulates other developers in going for that niche.

Though the risk is, if another game like Disco Elysium (sorta solipsistic, no combat, weird, off-beat choices) comes out and *doesn't* get the critical acclaim Disco Elysium got, for whatever reason, it might put a significant damper on the idea that this is a viable alternative for the genre.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Roman Reigns posted:

True I’m probably jumping the gun a bit with this being a smash hit. I was mainly basing off the rave reviews it’s been getting and the growing word of mouth attention.

I definitely don't mean to rain on Disco Elysium's parade. I haven't played it yet (it costs money, goddammit... AND YOU CALL YOURSELVES LEFTISTS, DEVS???!!!) but I am *really*, *REALLY* interested in the idea of RPGs that drop combat and conflict in favor of intricate choice and consequences based on your builds. It's not like this is all I want RPGs to be, but it's a breath of fresh air, you know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I'm assuming no one went with the racism thoughts because who wants to be a racist? But I wonder what kind of consequences there are for that kind of stuff.