Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer

ZA/UM studio posted:
"Disco Elysium is a groundbreaking open world role playing game. You’re a detective with a unique skill system at your disposal and a whole city block to carve your path across. Interrogate unforgettable characters, crack murders or take bribes. Become a hero or an absolute disaster of a human being.

Unprecedented freedom of choice​. Intimidate, sweet-talk, resort to violence, write poetry, sing karaoke, dance like a beast or solve the meaning of life. Disco Elysium is the most faithful representation of desktop role playing ever attempted in video games.
"

Previously known under the working title: No Truce With The Furies. Made by a multidisciplinary artistic indie studio based in Estonia, Disco Elysium is one of the most eagerly anticipated RPGs of the year. It is ambitious, complex and has over 1,000,000 (yes, a million) words of dialogue (so don't expect voice-overs or localization on this one EDIT: Partial VO for all characters confirmed), that has been praised as great writing by those who have had a glimpse of the game. The developers aim high with intentions to make the best RPG in the world and bring video game writing to a whole new level. They seem to have pulled it off.

In Disco Elysium, you start out as a loser detective who has woken up in a hangover after an epic drunken party in the city of Revachol. There are murder cases to solve, but you can decide to become a narcotics-addicted hobo instead. Or become a politically minded philosopher of sorts. Or a corrupt cop who takes bribes, or an authoritarian rear end in a top hat. Or, you get the point: There are a shitload of things you can do and be.

Your skills become a part of your personality and take part in inner dialogue and dialogue with other characters, like in the mind of an actual person. Your thoughts, organized in what is called a Thought Cabinet, have considerable effect on what your character will do or say next. The thoughts can become obsessions that define your playthrough: For example, if you ruminate on politics in the Thought Cabinet, your cop may become something of a communist or nationalist based on your skill/personality choices and thoughts. His dialogue options will reflect that. Those of you who have played Alpha Protocol will be pleased to hear that Disco Elysium takes branching narratives and dials that to 11.

The game world is not our world but a parallel universe of some kind, with a whole history written out. The alternate universe has technology we might recognize, like cars, swords, guns and radios, but with a bit of a twist. The game is based on a table-top RPG system called Metric, which is detailed below in the links to the devblog. Everything from dialogue checks to combat is basically done with 2-dice rolls, average challenge requires 10 or better to succeed, with your relevant skills added to the score. Failure is part of the fun because it leads to new branching narrative.

The art style is much like oil painting. Here, have some pictures:

Quote: "DISCO ELYSIUM IS A COLOSSAL GAME"

60+ hours of continuous playtime for a single playthrough if you're a completionist player, 30 hours if you're rushing it. Needs playing three times over to see most of the game. The world is about the size of Planescape: Torment, but 5 times denser in content than other RPGs. All characters have partial VO.
For details, see here:
https://steamcommunity.com/games/632470/announcements/detail/1600390507851601404

Details about the interesting skill systems used in the game:

http://zaumstudio.com/2017/01/19/introducing-metric-arguably-worlds-simplest-role-playing-system/

https://zaumstudio.com/2018/05/29/meet-the-skills-motorics/
https://zaumstudio.com/2018/04/11/meet-the-skills-physique/
https://zaumstudio.com/2018/03/13/meet-the-skills-psyche/
https://zaumstudio.com/2017/02/13/meet-skills-intellect/

Reviews are rolling in and they are unanimous: Disco Elysium is a masterpiece of an Rpg, arguably better than the likes of Planescape: Torment and any other Rpg you can think of. Highly recommended, buy it!

Price:
Eurozone 39.99€,
US 39.99$,
UK 34.99£

Game launch date is October 15, 2019 on Steam and Gog.com.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/632470/Disco_Elysium/
https://www.gog.com/game/disco_elysium

Disco Elysium: The Final Cut will launch as a free update in March 2021, bringing a new area, full voice acting and other extras. PS4/5, Nintendo Switch versions will also be released with Xbox Series X/S versions in summer 2021.

SlightlyMad fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Dec 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer

Infinity Gaia posted:

You can apparently shave later! But yes, you're always the same character. You can become less slovenly over time though.

Also, I agree that this game is either going to be the best thing since sliced bread and be an insane breakthrough for CRPGs or it's going to be a spectacular failure that barely works and has maybe 2.5 functional quests. There is no way, at this point, it's going to be simply okay.

^Agreed. They are not going for mediocrity for sure. It's nice to see such ambition, indie studios can take big gambles like that. Oh man, three weeks is a long time to wait for this thing.

If these developers manage to make this game work as intended, I will throw my money at them at the speed of light. Little Estonia will be hit by my euros travelling so fast there will be a crater.

If it turns out as a failure of some kind, oh well. It is good to dream.

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
Not to turn this thread into a discussion of all the great indie games coming out, but Noita is also just around the corner, Early Access release on September 24th. I will have room in my entertainment budget just for Disco Elysium. Sigh. :unsmith:

Somebody start a thread for Noita. I've been watching streamers explore the preview build and it looks so cool.

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer

chaosapiant posted:

What's a Noita?

Noita is a procedurally generated magic game where every pixel is simulated and destructable. Here:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/881100/Noita/

Noita, btw, is made in part by our very own goon: Hempuli, who made Baba Is You. Along with Olli Harjola who made Swapper and Petri Purho of Crayon Physics fame.

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer

chaosapiant posted:

What's a Baba is You? Also I'll check this out when I'm off work, sounds interesting.

Oh boy, if you've missed Baba Is You, you're in for a treat. Possibly the best puzzle game of all time:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/736260/Baba_Is_You/

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
Well, Baba Is You is simply a great game, whether you're into puzzle games generally or not. Definitely worth checking out. There is a thread for Baba Is You around here somewhere. Edit:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3884585

Someone seriously ought to make one for Noita as well. Anyone? I don't want to post too much here about all the other indie gems out there.

This thread is for being hyped about Disco Elysium and the writing in it. And since the writers of the game and lead developer have been writing those skill blog posts, we can agree to be (cautiously) excited.

SlightlyMad fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Sep 23, 2019

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer

Dwaggy posted:

what a nice avatar op

Indeed it is. Lowtax spine donations got me a random avatar and it is appropriate for my name. :hfive:

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer

chaosapiant posted:

This game looks to be a tightly design Alpha Protocol-esque game where the narrative can go a hundred different ways, along with the combat system as it was proposed for Torment: Numenera, in that each fight appears to be a handcrafted puzzle. Am I getting the right vibes?

There are developer blogs that go into more detail about combat and narrative, but I want to avoid spoilers for myself and others. Three weeks and we will know. Three agonizing weeks.

Goddamn I am so ready. Lets hope the game is too.

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
This blog post is about different skill checks and their consequences:

https://zaumstudio.com/2016/10/06/active-skill-checks/

TLDR: Health bar and Morale bar can take hits from failed highlighted "White checks" but failed "Red checks" have more lasting consequences in the game world. Dialogue plays kinda like a turn-based combat encounter. Expect to see a lot of fun consequences from your failures.

My first character will gently caress up every choice he comes across, to simulate real life. After that I will try a competent detective. Or a paranormal investigator or something. Choices, choices.

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
Here is a sneak peek at the game world, the city of Revachol and the coastal area of Martinaise where the happenings happen. You are a cop from precinct 41.

https://zaumstudio.com/2016/01/25/worldbuilding/

This is a preview video from a year ago, showing some of the gameplay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEnP8Kq37XE

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
Paging mr. Hempuli:

I caved in (heh) and started a thread for Noita since some people had not heard about it before and it releases today!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3899511

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
Quote: "DISCO ELYSIUM IS A COLOSSAL GAME"

60+ hours of continuous playtime for a single playthrough if you're a completionist player, 30 hours if you're rushing it. Needs playing three times over to see most of the game. The world is about the size of Planescape: Torment, but 5 times denser in content than other RPGs. All characters have partial VO.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/632470/announcements/detail/1600390507851601404

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer

Davincie posted:

the video looks great. i love the way the personalities make it feel like you are in a party of 1, and the 1 member is a schizophrenic

my one concern as always with rpgs is that there will be some skills that get used a lot more then others. always a few trap skills that get used only a few times

The least used skill has about 50 uses in the game, the more frequently used skills have several hundred. Source: Devblog.

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
^ I like these.

All this homicide investigation is soooo last season, what IS that corpse wearing? Such poor taste in accessories.

Hmm. What would a catwalking, drug-snorting Fashion Police be?

Composure - High, the most essential skill for Fashion Cop.
Conceptualization - High, for art and style appreciation.
Electrochemistry - High, for snorting various chemicals.
Endurance - High, for surviving the snorting of various chemicals.
Perception - Fair
Savoir Faire - Fair
Authority - High
Suggestion - High

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer

Southpaugh posted:

This game looks extremely loving sick and I can't wait to make my cop be the least coppy cop that ever copped.

:hmmyes:

It's hard to keep calm and wait for what looks like the second coming of RNGesus, but maybe, just maybe the game will be worth the wait and as good as the developers say. If it turns out not fun to play for some reason, I will still complete it to see where it goes with all that dialogue they have written. But those devblog entries, ooff. I like the writing. It goes places.

In the game's discord the devs have answered such questions as: Rustin Cohle (True Detective) type of cop is a plausible option and even more so a Zizek cop. Not that those have served as direct influences, just something someone asked.

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
Oh, interesting. I knew your cop could get philosophical with the right skill combo, but I didn't know which philosophers inspired them. You can apparently also play as a dumb, ignorant character who does not notice clues or details. A meathead who punches his way to victory (or loss). I wonder how many ways the 24 skills and the thought cabinet will interact with each other? They said it would be unlikely for any player to exhaust the possible combinations of content in the game. Challenge accepted.

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer

Impermanent posted:

someone stat up The Dude. I fully intend to blindly stumble my way through this game.

I tried to think of what The Dude would be like, here's my attempt.

Drama: High, for singing karaoke and being dramatic.
Electrochemistry: High, for substance use.
Endurance: High, enduring those substances.
Conceptualization: High, to appreciate a good rug.
Savoir Faire: Fair, for dancing and bowling (not sure if there are bowling alleys in game).

Or maybe everything should be low, for bumbling through the game? Hmm. This build might be too competent.

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
For inspiration in terms of detective stuff, the dev team are fans of The Shield, The Wire, True Detective, Twin Peaks, Sherlock Holmes and also Dashiell Hammett's detective stories to name a few. Source: Disco(rd) Elysium, from ZA/UM community manager.

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
In the game it will be possible to use speed, smoke cigarettes, drink alcohol, do psychedelic anti-radiation drug Pyrholidone, GABA-max and take magnesium. Those are the drugs I saw mentioned. No idea if cocaine is also available, although there is a mention of its use in history. You can buff yourself up with these mid-conversation (or battle) to change your stats, so playing a drugged up character should be fun to try. A Hippie cop with bellbottom pants and a psychedelic shirt and tie would be fitting. :2bong: :catdrugs:

If you do drugs in game, you become more addicted and you will get quests to procure speed for example and you might not be able to refuse the quest.

All this does not necessarily mean the game was written under the influence of substances, but speculation is most of what we have for the next two weeks. :munch:

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer

BadAstronaut posted:

I wonder if it's going to be banned in Australia then.

Wtf :australia:? No fun allowed? Is the rpg nerd demographic the source of Australian drug problems? Who knew. I'm sure banning roleplaying games will sober up the nation. :cop:

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
Well, the drugs are bad for your health in game, it's not strictly beneficial. Your health can drop and give you a heart attack. There's pros and cons. Pretty sure some of those drugs are fictional too. Speed is a thing though.

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

what's the deal with magnesium? is it illegal to soothe your upset stomach in this game

Wiki (Magnesium): "Magnesium compounds are used medicinally as common laxatives, antacids (e.g., milk of magnesia), and to stabilize abnormal nerve excitation or blood vessel spasm in such conditions as eclampsia."

So, it seems that self-medicating in the game is something of a balancing act.

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
I try to stick to evidence as much as I can, but here is some gossip from Discord: Some people have gotten review copies and they're praising the game as the best thing ever. :piss: The hype is real. :f5h::f5: Why is my sense of time stretching? :ohdear:

Edit: Nevermind, the devs claim that the review copies are not out yet. If someone has review copies, maybe some shenanigans are in play.

SlightlyMad fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Sep 28, 2019

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
Whoever that person is, what he is saying is the same sentiment that I've seen from every source that has had access to the early demos.

The devs have stated that review copies will be sent out soon. Which could mean anything between days to weeks of course.

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
Disco Elysium is set in the world of a novel named "Sacred and Terrible Air", ("Püha ja öudne löhn") by Robert Kurvitz, the lead designer of the game. The originally Estonian language novel from 2013 has been translated and will be published in English some time after the launch of the game. Even though they take place in the same world, I don't think the game follows the story in the book.

I google translated some review pages (my Estonian is pretty limited unfortunately!) and the impression I got was that reviewers liked the strange alternate reality and the book itself. It is somewhere in the ballpark of Science Fiction/magical realism, but original and well written. I will be curious to see the translated version.

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
Spoilers tags already, and the game is weeks away? :ohdear: How will I get through the next two weeks without learning too much forbidden knowledge? If you have played the demo version, thank you for blackening the text about what you know. Also, you lucky bastard. :argh:

There are three pre-made skill builds the devs have included as examples in the beginning of the game, but you can make your own. After picking starting skills, you begin the game as a fuckup drunkard of a detective from precinct 41 in Revachol, but where your character development goes from there is up to you (and the dice). Character backstory beyond that point is what I would consider spoilery territory as far as what I personally would want to avoid knowing. You discover or "re-invent" much of the background of your character as the game progresses, as far as I know. If I am wrong about any specifics, so be it. I want to jump in not knowing too much. Apologies if I offer any inaccurate information.

Btw, the devs have commented that ultrawide monitor (21:9) resolutions will be on the roadmap post-launch, not in the launch day version.

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
Details about the Thought Cabinet were just published:

https://steamcommunity.com/games/632470/announcements/detail/1602642945918075511

Collector's edition art made by Anton Vill, a concept artist known for, among other things, his work on the film Mad Max: Fury Road.

Price of game: 39,99€/39,99$/34,99£

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
Collector's edition: The game, digital artbook of concept art and music by British Sea Power. It's what I am thinking of buying.

The price of 39,99€ is for the standard edition in Eurozone (+USA, UK), I don't know the price of Collector's edition yet.

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer

haldolium posted:

Does the narrative voice on the recent trailer mean anything for the actual game? I found it highly irritating and hope its just marketing.

Really looking forward to this but always imagined quite a different atmosphere.

I haven't confirmed this from the devs but that voice was probably just marketing.

The atmosphere I am expecting is pretty dark (homicide investigations and autopsies), funny and weird in a good way. Lynchian. Is that a word?

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
Reaction speed would make you jumpy but overall the Motorics seem like really good to have for a competent detective. Not many downsides other than the fact your points are limited to begin with.

SlightlyMad fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Oct 1, 2019

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
Interview of Robert Kurvitz by Rob Kershaw:

https://www.jumpdashroll.com/article/disco-elysium-is-this-generations-planescape-torment

Not particularly spoilery.

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
The game lets you play a left-wing, right-wing or non-political character with many different combinations of ideologies, including a racist homophobe, a communist or a market liberal (or liberast as they are known in game universe). If you're not careful with your dialogue choices, your character could become an equivalent of Maga-hat wearer.

The character's political views do not represent the devs political views, or necessarily those of the player. You will be roleplaying a character with opinions that may be damned stupid at times. There will be consequences.

The Rhetoric skill makes your character more political, Endurance more fascist, some other skill was more socialist etc.

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
FYI, the devs are more left-wing (and from a right-wing leaning post-communist country, I believe) in their stated political views. The opinions of your fuckup character will get him into trouble if you go to extremes in the thought cabinet. They are exploring topics that might go under the skin of the player, I mean the heart of the game is a psychological, internal dialogue between the darkest parts of the mind. You can expect to have some messed up thoughts popping up.

I think you have to spend skill points to get rid of a thought that is causing trouble. Quite a balancing act for how you want your character to be.

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
Before we (invest too many points in Rhetoric and) poo poo up the thread with politics, we should wait for the game to actually come out, so we can judge it for what it is, not what we think it might be like.

If you are on the fence about the writing, wait for first impressions from some people who try the game. All previews have been full of praise so far, we shall see for ourselves in 13 days.

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
I too will see if I can punch racists in game, though I will play every combo of skills/thoughts I can think of, to see where it lands the character. I expect to play this through several times over the years.

And Perhaps a hamster , your perspective is appreciated.

I am sure this game will not be for everyone, but I fully expect it to be interesting.

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer

Perhaps a hamster posted:

Look at it. It tells you the location of every repeatable skill check you tried/failed/came across, whether you can redo it and, if not, which skill to increase if so. How user-friendly of an idea is this?

:flashfap:
:gizz:
:perfect:

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
I think you can ignore a skill offering bad advice, but there may be consequences down the line. It offers more options for dialogue. The amphetamine example is a consequence of you taking drugs: it becomes a habit. You might not be able to resist an addiction once you have it. At least not easily.

You can play the skills against each other, so if your Logic is too high in some situation you can balance with some Drama for example.

There will be a lot of reading dialogue and descriptions of things in the game, so it may not be for everyone's tastes. They have made an effort to keep the text fun and readable (not too long) in the game, and the skill list screen in the game offers direct bonuses and what they do.

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swPmDo8BvrU&t=
(Swedish)

Previews of (first day in) Disco Elysium are coming out.

If you watch them and discuss it in this thread, please use the spoiler tags, thank you. Or else! Grumble grumble.

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/10/03/disco-elysiums-developers-are-in-a-bloody-battle-for-the-human-mind/

Some points: Hold on to your save games; The devs are considering a bigger sequel and possible expansion with both male and female protagonists, if they get an opportunity to make it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
There seems to be a lot more voice-over in this game than I thought. A rapper called Dizzy DROS plays a character called Measurehead. In an interview he mentions doing 12 hours of recording for the game. With editing that probably still amounts to a lot of dialogue for a single character, even if most ends up discarded.

Spoilers!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03_ty7sa_G4&t=1s