Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Khizan posted:

Those hubcaps turned my entire game around. I had been dead set on being a terrible disaster of a cop and stealing the boots and generally being awful, and then Kim sold his hubcaps to pay my bill and told me "You did a good job" during the briefing at the end of the first day. I went down after he went to bed to steal the boots and then I just stood there in front of the freezer and decided that I just couldn't do it to him, and after that I did my absolute best not to be a miserable trash fire of a human being because I couldn't let Kim down like that.

I paid my own bill AND got the boots so maybe if you weren't a piece of poo poo you and Kim could both have nice things :smugbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Tylana posted:

Kim is just so wonderfully done and balanced. I can forgive not getting to roll with Lena if the trade-off is that much polish on the one party member.

Still want to roll with Lena.

I just finished my first playthrough, so I've been diving into spoilers and alternative paths more freely. Was kinda mind-blown learning that you can end up doing the entire final island sequence with Cuno as your partner instead of Kim, which... obviously doesn't go as well. But like who tf would make the kind of choices leading to that?? Kim owns.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Qwertycoatl posted:

If you want Kim to not be shot you have to pass a skill check

Ahhh, that makes sense.

Fister Roboto posted:

I was completely unprepared for the Tribunal. Didn't get my gun back, didn't have any T-500 armor, didn't have the Spirit Bomb, and while I did have "Kim *really* trusts you", my authority score was so low it didn't matter. The merc leader survived, and I got everyone but two of the Hardy Boys killed. It was extremely not disco.

I was curious what the worst-case outcome from that scenario could be. I had my gun, full armor (sans helmet until the end), spirit bomb, and fairly high authority, but I was still pretty tight-butthole the whole time, and wasn't so sure that it all went as well as it could have. A couple of the Hardy boys still died in mine. What happens if you don't have the armor? The game made it seem like that was the only reason I wasn't dead.

Also, in my initial run through the ending sequence of the game, I didn't realize that passing the check against the phasmid is incredibly important to contextualizing a big part of the plot, and my Electrochemistry score was in the toilet. I spent a ton of time savescumming it before realizing that it's literally an impossible check, even with a 6-6 roll, if you don't still have the pheromones on you. So I had to edit the save file to do it, and now I really wish I'd been able to see that content when I first finished it.

Related: I also never discovered the final interaction with Joyce where she reveals who she is. D'oh.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Doc Hawkins posted:

i did accept the pheromones, what way is there to "lose" them?

I think if you bathe at any point in the game after receiving them, you won't have them on you anymore. There's also a difference in check modifiers between having pheromones on and "laying them on thick," which I think is a choice you get back when they're first offered to you. Have you gotten to see the conversation with the phasmid yet?

World War Mammories posted:

what interaction is that? she'll tell you she's an ultra (and the player is obligated to choose "Dios mio! A LIBERAL!"), plus the chats about the pale. what else is there?

She's not a representative for Wild Pines; she is one of its directors. Evrart is trying to take over the harbor on behalf of the union to start a class war, and Joyce asks for your take in a way that basically shapes how all the political tension in Revachol is expected to manifest.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

I feel like the second sentence is her whole raison d'etre, but that first part is interesting. do you know what it takes to get this chat?

Lifted from someone on Discord, edited for clarity/formatting:

Meet Joyce, get the basic lowdown, get Jamais Vu, learn about the pale, do her subquest about the smuggler (or eventually show her your badge)
Go to Evrart, do his subquests, talk to him after mailing the signatures and getting access to the Pigs encounter to get him to come clean about the strike
Wait for Joyce to move to the fishing village pier, grill her again and insist she tells you about the discovery of Insulinde, she'll tell you to wait
On your way back from the Ruby confrontation into the tribunal, stop by Joyce, and open the unrelated dialogue tree of explaining Evrart's plans to her. She'll go on the Insulindian miracle rant, and you get closure on both her true identity and Harry/Kim's impression on her before she sails away

Bolded the part that I and probably most other people missed, but you have to have done all the other stuff along the way as well.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Mulva posted:

Sure it is, he got sad and hosed up by his job and the relationship broke down. Multiple times in fact.

You have a ton of moments of clarity throughout all over the place, saying how it was both your faults, and also kind of no-one's fault, and that ultimately the thing that fucks him up is that they were in love and it didn't work. The end, no great tragedy or mystery to it. It just didn't work out. And he can. Not. Make that fit in his head. And it's killing him.

I feel like I got most of this, although it had slightly more of a slant toward him being a total mess and alienating her. I felt like if they were once very much in love, she heavily downplayed it and made it seem like she didn't feel the same way he felt. In general I played a high volition/empathy/logic sorrycop with a big ol' weakness for diving headlong into the pain of this particular relationship and wanting it back, so I'm curious if there were still any subtleties I wasn't exposed to on my playthrough.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

steinrokkan posted:

Well you've never seen him go off at a pinball table.

On a serious note, I imagine his strict and professional demeanor is directly a result of trying to distance himself from the juvie unit, a form of over-compensating for his traumatic past and creating a distance between his past and present.

I think it's worth calling out that this is also common for gay men (I are one) and other minorities as a subconscious way of navigating a world that wouldn't otherwise take us seriously. Common criticisms of female and gay politicians are that they're "cold," "robotic," "shrill," "too rehearsed," etc., as opposed to the freewheeling "authenticity" that even utterly incompetent straight men are allowed to portray while still having their authority respected. I never was able to get to the end of the balcony man's quest chain, so I didn't know that Kim being gay was a thing, but a lot of my romantic partners in real life have spent their lives pursuing incredibly high achievement in their academic and professional careers, all seemingly driven by this internal need to be respected and valued by others. It makes a lot of loving sense to me that he would be this way.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

God drat this game cuts deep sometimes.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Glazius posted:

And DE never comes out and says, in the game in big bold ink, that you shouldn't just listen to certain skills or say certain things but always consider what you're picking from the options, because Harry is really saying that and it can really affect people. It never comes out and says that failing white checks may hurt you a little, but won't redirect the game, and you may need to try and fail to find out what you need to do them better.

Another thing I realized from watching a streamer (Day9) play the game is that there are subtle, but crucial, aspects of the mechanics that really require some Gamer Thinking to understand, and there's a lot you can miss if you don't notice them. One of the things I immediately loved about Disco was the way these mechanics help the game reveal itself to you, in the same way that an exceptionally well-designed puzzle game will set up some mechanics, and then let the player feel like a genius for figuring out how to apply them. But here, those mechanics aren't really "set up" the way that most games onboard new players these days; they expect you to figure them out from context.

As an example, dialogue trees have a few different "archetypes," and most conversations include several/all of them at various points. They vaguely look like this:

code:
"Hey, you're a real piece of poo poo."
  • "No I'm not! gently caress you!"
  • "What's that supposed to mean?!"
  • "We all are, in our own ways."
  • "Yeah, I know. I'm sorry."

Those of us who've played through the game may implicitly see the above as:
  • "No I'm not! gently caress you!" | +1 to cop archetype 1, advance dialogue
  • "What's that supposed to mean?!" | +1 to cop archetype 2, advance dialogue
  • "We all are, in our own ways." | +1 to cop archetype 3, advance dialogue
  • "Yeah, I know. I'm sorry." | +1 to cop archetype 4, advance dialogue

But the interpretation of what this choice means can change very subtly. Consider:

code:
  • "That's enough about me, thanks." (Proceed.)

Now, it reads more like:
  • "No I'm not! gently caress you!" | Inconsequential choice, don't advance dialogue
  • "What's that supposed to mean?!" | Inconsequential choice, don't advance dialogue
  • "We all are, in our own ways." | Inconsequential choice, don't advance dialogue
  • "Yeah, I know. I'm sorry." | Inconsequential choice, don't advance dialogue
  • "That's enough about me, thanks." (Proceed.) | Advance dialogue when you're done cycling through the above choices. They may still add points to cop archetypes or unlock their own options, but none of the above choices are mutually exclusive with each other, so I might as well pick all of them to make sure I cover all my bases.

Or:
code:
  • [Physical Instrument - Challenging 14] Take a swing at him.

Seeing that there's a roll here might make the options look like:
  • "No I'm not! gently caress you!" | Possible roll modifier.
  • "What's that supposed to mean?!" | Possible roll modifier.
  • "We all are, in our own ways." | Possible roll modifier.
  • "Yeah, I know. I'm sorry." | Possible roll modifier.
  • [Physical Instrument - Challenging 14] Take a swing at him. | If roll is white, this conversation doesn't have permanent consequences yet. If it's red, it does.

It was driving me a little insane to watch someone play when they hadn't yet picked up on these kinds of distinctions. They were treating loopable sections (i.e. those with Proceed options) as though they needed to commit to one response, for example, and as a result they were missing content or not catching important details. People often say that every choice matters in this game, but that's not exactly true: there are lots of spots where you should pick every option, and some spots where the game is subtly telegraphing to you that your dialogue choice will more specifically reflect a political ideology or personal character trait that you're committing to. There are some important story details that can significantly recontextualize the game's world and its characters, and it's totally possible to miss them if you don't pick up one where it's appropriate to be thorough vs. picking a response and sticking to it.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Spoiler/discussion post

Discussion prompt: how do you interpret Cindy's graffiti as it relates to the story and themes of the game? "Un jour je serai près de toi" i.e. "One day, I will return to your side."

I guess the most obvious interpretation is that it's a rare moment of gentle hope for Martinaise, that it may one day move past its strife and the scars of its past (which, of course, also applies to Harry, just like pretty much everything else about Martinaise). But the phrasing also recalls Harry's doomed hope for his lost relationship with Dora, and you could even argue that this connects Harry's life to the game's ultimate perspective on communism: that at its core, it is about failure. Keeping hope alive for something, even knowing it may never succeed, is a trap that afflicts both Harry and Martinaise, but it's also the only thing preventing both from completely disintegrating.

I think this connection is why the graffiti is phrased so personally, despite seeming otherwise out of character for Cindy, rather than it sounding like it's specifically written about the city itself. Curious to hear other takes on this.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

I think doing that gives you a bonus/removes a penalty for the electrochemistry check to approach the phasmid but isn't necessary? honestly I've never not done it

google shows me some people complaining about failing said check without doing that thing, even rolling double sixes, but I figure those are probably people forgetting about The Precarious World making you auto-fail red checks

I absolutely could not pass the check because I had bathed after initially using the pheromones. I did not take Precarious World, yet even savescummed double-sixes failed the roll, as it's an inevitable failure roll. I couldn't have the ensuing conversation until I edited my save file to apply the pheromone buff.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

hum, interesting. what are the checks here again? I think there are two? electrochemistry to approach and inland empire to have the conversation? I've never not taken the pheromones so I'm not sure of the alternatives to how that scene plays out

I think it's just the first one that matters. Failing it is how I first experienced the end of the game, and it really leaves off the most significant tonal moment of the whole ending sequence (along with the scene when you nap on the island). I think it was a little bit of a mistake to gate such important content in that way.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Holy poo poo

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Entorwellian posted:

The last Steam News update said that they're going to be announcing their next project soon.

What if Disco Elysium is only this good because it's the game they always wanted to make and there are like a decade's worth of writing ideas all put in there and the next project will be thinner and less satisfying because they put all their best thoughts into the first game :ohdear:

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I did Psy/Int build but savescummed it because spinkicking racists is worth it.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Will there be a significantly different story/outcomes if I go like high Psyche or Intellect? I know the generally story will stay the same, but if I'm going to play again I'd like to diverge it significantly.

You'll follow some different branches because you may not be able to solve problems in the same ways you did your first time through, but the larger beats will remain the same. The main thing is that every interaction along the way will be colored very differently, because all the voices suffusing those conversations are different. It's also likely that there are at least one or two really significant conversations or moments that you didn't happen to catch on your first playthrough, unless you were very, very thorough. Learning about some of those after I finished the game re-contextualized a lot of it for me.

Brosnan fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Nov 6, 2020

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

If I only plan on doing one more play through, which would be the biggest departure from a phys build with heavy shivers?

Logic/encyclopedia/Conceptual? Or Empathy/inland empire?

My core playthrough was like 4/5/1/2 with Volition tagged. I started out planning to go hard on Logic/Empathy, but Inland Empire adds a lot to the game and I started putting points there too.

Come to think of it, maybe this is a helpful way to decide: https://www.reddit.com/r/DiscoElysium/comments/f0z2oa/total_number_of_passive_checks_in_the_game/

Looks like Empathy, Inland Empire, Logic, and Rhetoric all have a very high number of passive checks that are Medium or above, so those would give you a different playthrough flavor.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
I'm actually not that stoked on full voice acting. It was really drawn out and annoying during the Limbic/Reptilian segments, and I appreciated that everywhere else, it's just enough for character flavor while still allowing you to read for yourself. A lot of stuff that's really funny or impactful when you read it isn't that funny when someone says it.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Some of the old ones needed a little bit of cleanup for clarity, as I don't think they read well enough at the in-game size to communicate their concepts, but most of the updates just feel like what happens when you finish a great piece of art and then decide you're going to "fix" it after the fact.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Actually while I'm thinking of things I would've liked to see fixed, probably no one else gives a poo poo about this, but I wish they'd use proper typography rather than *chat room* style emphasis -- and lazy shortcuts. Use bold or italics and type a proper em dash, you savages. Also do another typo pass pls and ty.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
It's perfectly OK and good to give your writing a certain voice by adding emphasis and idiosyncrasy where needed, but like, just do that the proper way instead of the IRC way so it doesn't look like the game was written in Notepad.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
That narrator voice is incredible, but his reading speed is going to quadruple the length of the game.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

dogstile posted:

I was actually kind of worried about this. Sounds like it really wants you to roleplay quite heavily in one direction or another rather than make people in game feel good/get what you want. Which I suppose is a message in itself?

E: At least it'll be different from most games I play where I just relentlessly lie to everyone so I can get my shiny loot.

I think it actually expects you to have some inconsistency, and its recognition of that behavior doesn't punish the player, it's more like a throwaway dialog line or two. There's also some confirmation bias in the thread because megafans of the game tend to be leftist, but the text itself isn't quite as cartoonishly pushing its political agenda as it may sound. There are liberal characters who have personal integrity and leftist characters who don't. Fascism is pretty much the one case that the game overtly and consistently makes fun of, because duh.

Also the last page or two have had kind of a lot of unnecessary spoilers for a conversation that's explicitly about how to approach as a new player. Having 1 HP or Morale at the start of the game because of how you built your character is an entertaining part of the game experience, and it's still not a difficult game even under those circumstances. "Make sure you have money by night 2" is pretty much all that needs to be said.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Hey folks, I was thinking I'd write a new OP and make a new thread for the Final Cut release, partly with the intention of letting new players come in for what they need without fear of the minefield of spoilers. Any objection?

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Also accepting thread title suggestions

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
New thread is up!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3963700

There wasn't enough space for a funny title so I just went for the upsell.

Also planning to add more to the OP, but wanted to get this up as the upgrade goes live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Hey folks, in case y'all missed it, there's a new thread going:

Assuming mods will lock this one when they get around to it, but let's bump the Final Cut hype over to that thread.