Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-egCdc-nVBI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I'm near the end of 2 and that optional boss fight against the Echo underground was some bullshit and a giant difficulty spike after cruising through the game for 25+ hours. The worst elements of a Souls title combined: the camera getting in the way, lock on disappearing if the enemy lunges too far ahead coupled with this game's really strange lighting system - the entire screen would go nearly dark if I stood at random spots in the arena, especially the edges.

The game is still pretty good overall, though I wish they had made the franchise a sci fi souls anthology instead of continuing off the first game. The ambiguity of every single thing that happens in the first was one of the best parts about it and I didn't need any of this extended universe with fantastical technochurches and Guttenberg having a rivalry with a cyborg woman before the events of the first title. I don't dislike it unlike other sequels that retroactively ruin the original game (The Darkness 2, Wolfenstein 2), but it's kind of an unneeded continuation story wise.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Welp

Gameplay-wise it's a significant improvement over the first game. The difficulty is more balanced and you no longer die in two-three hits to everything. Level variety and design is improved even if areas can still look the same at times (the Cathedral was especially a mess to navigate). The quest log was a welcome addition even if it could get glitchy with side missions as I had one or two quests not register as completed despite that happening.
Combat is still pretty good but there's way too many weapons and no real reason to use most of them - through the entire game I stuck with Eli's hammer for regular combat and some nanite claws for bosses. Same with the gear: I used the set that makes executions cost no battery because why wouldn't I when the rest are very situational. The character upgrade system is a welcome addition, especially since it mostly cleaned up the total disaster that was the mod UI in the first game.

Graphically the game is strange and the brightness/gamma feels so off that it made me think Deck13 had broken monitors during development. It gets even worse during the second act where half the levels turn purple, especially the city. Playing this on a PS4Pro on Performance mode there was some very noticeable screen tearing which the first game didn't have, but the environments are more detailed this time around and these are 5+ year old systems so whatever.

Story-wise it starts out ok but turns into a disaster during the final 5 minutes. Unlike the first which was a downbeat horror sci-fi anti-corporate story this is all over the place. The whole thing with The Wall and some audio logs makes it sound like it's about immigration, but also transhumanism and religion. It doesn't matter and it never really goes anywhere and it ends with a bizarre anime-style final fight and ending dialogue that wouldn't feel out of place in a Devil May Cry game. The whole Church of the Spark thing with Matriarch Celeste was extremely underdeveloped despite most of the focus being on them. I think the only thing I liked was how it's left ambiguous what exactly the main character is. As the game went on I thought it was the Rogue Process reborn into a human shaped shell even if nothing is ever confirmed. I saw the whole "you aren't a real boy/girl" plot point coming from the beginning but I liked how they managed to integrate character customization into the writing even if it's nothing unique. At the same time if they go back to having a voiced and named character for the next game (if there is one) I won't complain. There really was no need to make it a direct continuation and bring back anyone from the first game. Warren't fate didn't need to be answered, same with meeting Guttenberg since the first game did a decent job at keeping his existence ambiguous. Still, I appreciate that the game escalated as it went along unlike most titles this generation that sort of plod along until the final 30 minutes.
Tonally this is an Evil Dead -> Evil Dead 2 situation with the game sometimes going back to the horror from the first but for the most part being more action focused and campy. The Little Johnny fight from the set-up to the music which feels like a Prodigy track is The Surge 2's atmosphere in a nutshell.

If there ends up being a third game I hope they start from zero story wise and set it in Antarctica or something. Give me sci fi The Thing-souls. Maybe rework the gameplay too so the weapons and gear are more balanced rather than the whole "pick the one you like and upgrade it during the whole game" thing they have going on.

GUI fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Dec 1, 2019

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

GUI posted:

set it in Antarctica or something. Give me sci fi The Thing-souls.

FUUUUCK my dude you need to write Deck 13 a letter asking for royalties. Some mining operation + military research facility. With all the rigs and weapons running the Gambit from janky power loader ala Aliens to some full body Day After Tomorrow with anime power axe. Keep the mystery open-ended and you got a solid 8/10.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
If they want to coast on The Surge name for their next Souls-like then fine, but I wouldn't bat an eye if The Surge 3 pretends The Surge 2's story doesn't exist.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
In fact, I hope it does ignore the story tbh

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
I hope they go Sekiro way and make all killings finishers. (And they don’t cost anything).

Way too many times I accidentally killed someone I wanted to cut a limb (It’s especially worse with bosses).

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Have you tried holding down the finisher button before the prompt appears? If you do that and you have the energy the game will keep the enemy alive and let you get the finisher.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

It happens sometimes if you have a slow weapon that does big damage but also it will keep the enemy alive at 0 hp for a bit to give you time.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I think the game’s DLC will tell us a lot about the direction they’re going. I haven’t bought it yet because I’d like to see a trailer first but if the trailer is good I’m buying the season pass.

Also I think CJacobs can vouch for this but I was saying when A Walk in the Park came out that what I would really like to see is Dead Space remade using The Surge engine. It is basically a perfect match imo.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I recently purchased this on Xbox and hoping to get some help. I’m in the city Port Nixon now and just getting my rear end handed to me. I think parrying works by holding the block button when you see the directional prompt, and then pushing the correct direction when the enemy actually swings? But gently caress I can barely get it to work and die a lot. Due to camera wonkiness, the extreme oversaturated lighting, and the complicated character designs I just can’t actually see well enough to respond to the enemy. It’s a mess and I want to enjoy this game because I loved (and beat) Sekiro and I liked the Surge 1 a lot too.

So maybe there’s a better way to fight? Maybe there’s Xbox specific lighting settings that would help?

Also, really weird but I can’t find anywhere online and also has not been fixed by reinstalling the game, but audio logs only ever play the first two lines and then go silent and don’t play or show subtitles for the rest of the log. Which means.. well I can’t hear or learn any of the story, at all. I’ve tried replaying them from the inventory menu and standing still, restarting my Xbox, reinstalling, everything I can think of but they remain all broken. Is there something I’m missing there too?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

So, I'm thinking about picking this up in the winter sale and I'd like to know: does this game do anything sufficiently interesting or execute its mechanics well enough to not leave you just thinking you could be replaying a From Software game instead? Code Vein just felt like playing a poor man's Dark Souls and I didn't hear great things about The Surge 1, is this actually worth playing outside of being Souls methadone?

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
The mechanics are very satisfying, closer to Sekiro than Dark Souls in that parrying is emphasized. Fights are viscerally engaging. The interconnected map is fun. The story is trash (though Surge 1's is good!). It's a head above other Souls-likes I've played.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

snoremac posted:

The mechanics are very satisfying, closer to Sekiro than Dark Souls in that parrying is emphasized. Fights are viscerally engaging. The interconnected map is fun. The story is trash (though Surge 1's is good!). It's a head above other Souls-likes I've played.

Okay guess I'll take the plunge, thanks for the feedback!

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

It is definitely a soulslike and also very much it’s own game. They did a good job. It’s good.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

It’s hard as hell for me to figure out and I die so much it’s frustrating. I think needing two buttons to block is the problem. That, and the finicky camera angles make it pretty hard.

Definitely not as tight as Sekiro

Also, the audio log bug on Xbox is legit and pretty much cripples learning anything about the plot and world.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Brief thoughts so far:

- Level design is pretty good. Feels fun to explore, lots of little nooks and crannies and interconnects in a way so you build up a mental map of the shortcuts, very satisfying.
- Wow this game actually has a practical, functioning jump! Miyazaki take note.
- There is lots of loot, perhaps too much? Not all weapons feel like were created equal either, some of the weapon have animations that are painfully slow but they don't seem to have the damage or stagger to back them up. Meanwhile speedy multi-hit weapons like the spear and dual claws seem incredibly op so far, especially with the ghetto rally effect you can get from tanking through hits with your charge attack and then healing from the meter gained.

Anyway all in all I'm enjoying this so far, it doesn't have the polish or the atmosphere of a From game it's very fun all the same, definitely the best non-From Souls game I've played.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

multijoe posted:

Brief thoughts so far:

- Level design is pretty good. Feels fun to explore, lots of little nooks and crannies and interconnects in a way so you build up a mental map of the shortcuts, very satisfying.
- Wow this game actually has a practical, functioning jump! Miyazaki take note.
- There is lots of loot, perhaps too much? Not all weapons feel like were created equal either, some of the weapon have animations that are painfully slow but they don't seem to have the damage or stagger to back them up. Meanwhile speedy multi-hit weapons like the spear and dual claws seem incredibly op so far, especially with the ghetto rally effect you can get from tanking through hits with your charge attack and then healing from the meter gained.

Anyway all in all I'm enjoying this so far, it doesn't have the polish or the atmosphere of a From game it's very fun all the same, definitely the best non-From Souls game I've played.

A big difference between smaller weapons and beefcake weapons is how much stagger they do.(to some bosses we well). So a big club may seem slow and restricting. It also makes enemies fly in the air and take power naps on the ground.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Little Johnny is an rear end in a top hat. I might need to learn to do more than button-mash to beat him.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Could I get a bit of spoiler-free guidance? I'm only about 5 hours in, but I feel like I've veered way off the intended routing: I got to the octopus building thingie, talked to the crazy religious nut dude, and got a mission to kill his... brother, I think? Fellow leader? Anywhoo, he wants me to kill a guy. There's an exit to the zone where that dude's at, but it seems to dead-end with a zipline thingie that I can't use since I don't have the zipline.

So I explored more of the starting zone, killed a bunch more armor types, and got to a dance club which in turn directed me to a forested area with weird power armor caveman guys who really, really want me to help them kill a monster. The robot enemy just after their base is way stronger than I am and murders me in a heartbeat, so I think I might be straying into a later-game area? If that's not the route forward, though, I don't know where it wants me to go- my only thought is that the zipline is accessible somewhere in the starting area, and I just bumbled past it.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Go back to the octopus place and use the exit opposite of the entrance.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Sazabi posted:

A big difference between smaller weapons and beefcake weapons is how much stagger they do.(to some bosses we well). So a big club may seem slow and restricting. It also makes enemies fly in the air and take power naps on the ground.

You can stagger almost every boss with the final boss version 2.0 weapon.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Taerkar posted:

Go back to the octopus place and use the exit opposite of the entrance.

Cool, thanks!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Are the park robots resistant to electric, or are they just hardcore?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

The Lone Badger posted:

Are the park robots resistant to electric, or are they just hardcore?

I don’t think so? Electric is probably on balance the best damage type, although it’s close with nano. Nano isn’t the best only because in the back half a lot of enemies resist it.

multijoe posted:

You are correct to believe there’s too many weapons, but the game generally is balanced so that smaller, quicker weapons require less investment to be functional but also are less safe in the later game. At the end of the game you can’t just stand and wail on enemies in most cases with twin-rigged weapons, but with the right mods you can use a hammer to just knock enemies over outright and smash them.

Also yes the final boss weapon is a comically large greatsword that is, if not the best weapon in the game, certainly the funniest.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Against Little Johnny I had to learn to do (slightly) more than buttonmash. Now I'm fighting Delver and I think I'm finally going to have to learn to block rather than just evading.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
I love the Surge games and beat this one a few weeks ago. Just posting to share that I can't believe it took me this long to realize a game that fetishizes design modalities of industrial machinery is about as German as a game can get, second only to those hyper detail oriented simulator games where you operate a bucket wheel excavator under different weather conditions or whatever.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Farm simulator is fun too.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I'm a bit stuck. I'm in the hospital and have got my replacement force hook, but I can't find anywhere genuinely new to go.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

I'm ever so slightly miffed that the glowing hot pruning spear does not do fire damage for some reason :cripes:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

The Lone Badger posted:

I'm a bit stuck. I'm in the hospital and have got my replacement force hook, but I can't find anywhere genuinely new to go.

Took me a second to realize which hospital. Ok go to the saving booth for the area and go up. There's a wire line to the boss.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Blind Rasputin posted:

I recently purchased this on Xbox and hoping to get some help. I’m in the city Port Nixon now and just getting my rear end handed to me. I think parrying works by holding the block button when you see the directional prompt, and then pushing the correct direction when the enemy actually swings? But gently caress I can barely get it to work and die a lot. Due to camera wonkiness, the extreme oversaturated lighting, and the complicated character designs I just can’t actually see well enough to respond to the enemy. It’s a mess and I want to enjoy this game because I loved (and beat) Sekiro and I liked the Surge 1 a lot too.

This is basically correct, but you want to hit the direction when the attack is about to hit you, not when the enemy starts their swing.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Tenzarin posted:

Farm simulator is fun too.

The video games of Deutschland reveal that the true desires of its people are to become living power tools that can hunt and cannibalize other living power tools.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I just farm and farm and store my harvest until the gas station really needs corn and then I make millions. I don't really know how farming works but I don't think they buy corn by the 18 wheeler.

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

Sup goons, just got to the boss of Gideon Rock. I want to jump on the band wagon about how fun this game is. My current favorite weapon is the GAIA staff and I'm basically finding it really hard to use anything else. So far, in both Surge's, I'm completely turned off by claw/punch weapons; did anyone else find them useful? If so, which ones and what is our technique?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
If you use the Cerberus/URBN Set 6p it will give you enough armor and stability(was it called stability in this game or is that dark souls) so you can tank hits and not get stunlocked, you can make pretty much every weapon work. This changes in NG+ where its also the same its just that certain weapons kill things faster when they have very high amounts of hp.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

Tenzarin posted:

I just farm and farm and store my harvest until the gas station really needs corn and then I make millions. I don't really know how farming works but I don't think they buy corn by the 18 wheeler.

The gas station receives eight figures worth government incentive to buy corn. That specific Aral is the lynchpin of all government farm subsidy for the region.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

Professor of Cats posted:

Sup goons, just got to the boss of Gideon Rock. I want to jump on the band wagon about how fun this game is. My current favorite weapon is the GAIA staff and I'm basically finding it really hard to use anything else. So far, in both Surge's, I'm completely turned off by claw/punch weapons; did anyone else find them useful? If so, which ones and what is our technique?

The staves have some sweet combos that knockdown fast so I used them to style on a lot of things.

The claws shine when you use the spin like a top move and anything with an on hit bonus. Them with the health on hit seemed broken good to me.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I'm having terrible trouble finding the shopkeeper guy at the Cathedral. Can anyone tell me how to get to him from the Ironmaus room?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

The Lone Badger posted:

I'm having terrible trouble finding the shopkeeper guy at the Cathedral. Can anyone tell me how to get to him from the Ironmaus room?

I am unsure who you are talking about. Ok, shopkeeper guy from the start of the game whom goes after his girlfriend. The best I can do for you is that from facing walking into the cathedral through the huge gate(you have to open this from the inside and at the start you magrail up a wire to the top of the fence/wall), he is on to the left of that. I know that area circles around on itself alot.

There is another part of that quest that is tricky. You may need to ? my posts because someone asked about it when the game was released. Its going to feel like you are leaving the cathedral but as you go up again there are two way, to the boss and to where you need to go for that quest. I know it sounds cryptic but hopefully maybe this works also. :siren:Whatever you do, do not kill the boss before you finish this quest if you want too. You will go to another area right away and you have no choice.:siren:

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jan 4, 2020