Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

ZZZorcerer posted:

Something is bugging me, I thought I levelled up but didn't see the points to distribute so I respected and...

Shouldn't I have something like 48 points at power lvl 24 ?

I have 32 at lvl 26, so I'm thinking Power Level 8 is the starting level. Sounds about right for the core power when you first get implants.

Qmass posted:

How is the performance ? Lots of unhappiness on steam.

I haven't noticed any slowdown on an 8400+1080 Ti @ 144p. I turned off the dynamic resolution downscaler, too.

ZZZorcerer posted:

Still don't know what the search and rescue drone does

Item descriptions for weapons/armor/drone modules aren't shown by default like they were in TS1, but using the "compare" feature will show them (Y, triangle, or space).

Stickman fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Sep 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Alright this game is genius. It's basically what Sekiro was to Dark Souls - way less dodging, way more button-timed counterattacks and parrying. Limited consumable charges are now replaced with unlimited consumable usage as long as you have enough battery charge, but you gain constant battery charge through landing attacks, so as long as you're dealing damage you can sustain your healing. So, yeah, it's like Bloodborne's rally system without the farming of blood vials. Everything else seems pretty similar, except with more rewards and motivation for cutting off different body parts aside from just getting gear. Also, the first boss of this game is a human with a rig, so everything about this game says to me that the devs knew exactly what the issues were with the first game and wants you to know that they're gone

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Oh gently caress its out? I so want to play this right now!

Does anyone know if they kept in the scrap recovery bonus if you picked it back up in the last minute after you died? It was the way to farm millions of scrap very quickly after you beat the game.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Sep 24, 2019

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Alright this game is genius. It's basically what Sekiro was to Dark Souls - way less dodging, way more button-timed counterattacks and parrying.

This is very true...if you want it to be. I'm still adapting to the parry system after never getting used to the directional counters in Surge 1, but dodging also feels better to me, like so far there's no sliding or turning enemies, so if you're visibly out of the way, you're safe.

But the parries are super satisfying and far more damaging and the implant you get to teach you enemy patterns is perfect by giving you a direction but not the timing, that you have to learn.

Blocking, parrying, dodging, and aggression all feel good and viable depending on your skill and enemy knowledge.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Game runs bad on my laptop but is fun.

Watch out for special weapons on flimsy enemies if you use a big hammer. I lost out on an arm cut cause she died too fast.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Alright this game is genius. It's basically what Sekiro was to Dark Souls - way less dodging, way more button-timed counterattacks and parrying. Limited consumable charges are now replaced with unlimited consumable usage as long as you have enough battery charge, but you gain constant battery charge through landing attacks, so as long as you're dealing damage you can sustain your healing. So, yeah, it's like Bloodborne's rally system without the farming of blood vials. Everything else seems pretty similar, except with more rewards and motivation for cutting off different body parts aside from just getting gear. Also, the first boss of this game is a human with a rig, so everything about this game says to me that the devs knew exactly what the issues were with the first game and wants you to know that they're gone

Psychepath posted:

But the parries are super satisfying and far more damaging and the implant you get to teach you enemy patterns is perfect by giving you a direction but not the timing, that you have to learn.

Blocking, parrying, dodging, and aggression all feel good and viable depending on your skill and enemy knowledge.

Sounds pretty darn good. I may have to buy this at full price. :ohdear:

I wish it had a GOG release. Guess it'll be available in a year like the first one.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I don't even remembering parries in the first game. I only really remember dodging alot and abusing the slide attacks.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Sep 24, 2019

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Killing enemies too fast without getting the X prompt suck.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Do you have to block + direction right before the hit or hold block and then direction before to get a parry?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Haven't had a chance to play much, but I got out of the tutorial / starting area. I am very directionally challenged though and I really wish games like this offered a way point accessibility feature. :v: I get lost so easily.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Tagichatn posted:

Do you have to block + direction right before the hit or hold block and then direction before to get a parry?

Either one works, but holding block makes it more likely that it'll actually do the parry, plus if you miss the parry you'll still block.

Tenzarin posted:

I don't even remembering parries in the first game. I only really remember dodging alot and abusing the slide attacks.

It had those weird hops/ducks for high/low attacks that would perform a parry if you got the timing perfect. I pretty much ignored them, even for those stabby bots that were built entire around the high/low mechanic.

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003

Tagichatn posted:

Either. Holding block doesn't seem to reduce stamina unless hitting a parry direction or taking damage, so if you're quick to do block then direction it should work.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I'm really struggling with the timing of counters in this game, and it seems like there's a much larger focus on them in this game (The boss even have a "shield bar" you break down by countering). The game seems quite a bit harder than The Surge 1 so far.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Are you guys playing on steam? The graphics seems kinda wack atm.

Getting really weird graphics coming through and I have never heard of resolution scale before.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Sep 24, 2019

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

ymgve posted:

I'm really struggling with the timing of counters in this game, and it seems like there's a much larger focus on them in this game (The boss even have a "shield bar" you break down by countering). The game seems quite a bit harder than The Surge 1 so far.

Honestly I've mostly been ignoring them so far. They seem like they'd be pretty rewarding to master, but they haven't been necessary for as much as I've completed (which admittedly isn't too far).

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
For those having issues with the graphics, I found some quick fixes that might help you out.
https://www.ghostarrow.com/guide-for-fps-boost-in-the-surge-2

ZZZorcerer posted:

Killing enemies too fast without getting the X prompt suck.

There's a trick from the first game. Hold down cut limbs button and if the prompt comes up before you kill them, your flurry of attacks will not kill the target as long as the progress is going on it. So you can go full dps and not miss the cut or slow down on your stunlock.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Sep 24, 2019

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Wondering if I should gear towards slow but powerful stuff if I really like the parry/counter system; I have the badass axe thing that splits into two axes when charged, but I noticed it has garbage stability or something when I whiff a parry and instead block...

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Game seems good so far. Lots of fun systems going on. I like balancing health regen against loot drops. I like hologram hide and seek and exploring the rabbits nest of back alleys.

I don't like how bad the game runs given how unimpressive it looks but its not unplayable. I have an i7 8700 and a 1070 and it runs around 45-70fps @ 1440p on high settings depending on how open world the area is.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Game is really really good. It lost the darkness scary factor of the first game but in a good way. The starting spear and sentinel armor are really good. Maybe not OP as the starting light armor in the first game but is very close because the set gives you bonus scrap.

You get alot of really good varied implants early on and you could really play a few different ways with most of them.

Also they have non armor set pieces pretty early into the game which are kinda amazing at saving core power.

These were not sunglasses like I thought, I bought just nerd glasses I guess.

You also get access to alot of weapon types very early unlike in the first some didn't come for much later.

Revenge enemies is a cool loving system also to. Since the game is online like dark souls now, when someone dies to something a guy in your game may be upgraded. Kill them to get revenge for them and you get alot of spare parts.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Sep 24, 2019

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Okay I bought this game and put about 3 hours into it last night. So far the setting and environments are doing a whole lot more for me than the usual dark fantasy retread. The health restore system they have going here is genius and 1000% better than any other Souls game. I never played the first Surge but it's cool and I'm learning as I go along (while still dying a lot).

- Does fast travel open up at any point? I wanted to do the sidequest for the Russian doctor in the first area but it seemed too hard for my level.
- How do I know I'm doing damage against little Johnny? It's kind of hard for me to tell if I'm being effective.

I've been using the energy staff and I currently look like a budget Optimus Prime. My performance on PC hasn't been too bad besides a little frame judder but I have an RTX 2080 so I'm probably overpowering the specs.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

What's the dealio with perfect stamina timing? I was vaguely aware of it, but can never get it quite right, and it's hampering my Vindicator stuff cos I run out of stamina so fast. I've been rocking the starting single-rigged Jackhammer, which is awesome, but kind of simple in what it lets you do.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I assume the Scavenger set is definitely for fast weaponry, where you want to deal as much damage to a body part as possible for the execution? Using heavy weapons, I find myself murdering dudes outright at times and still not breaking their limbs.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
With the scavenger set, you want to get backstabs and do a lot of combos. I think a combo is usually just 3 attacks in a row. The set lowers your damage with impact weapons but I believe status weapons such as poison or fire is unaffected. Most armors do lower your impact damage for speed.

Boss hardcore kills are still in the game. Hardcore kills reward a version 2 of the bosses weapon. General point of it is for robotic bosses cut all limbs and for humanoids cut the right arm. Could could be exceptions for this like in the last game.

Might want to start collecting a list for some of the bosses,
Little Johnny: cut and destroy all his parts. Poison dual rigged weapon, Little Johnny's Forceps V2.0

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Sep 24, 2019

Small and Blue
Apr 24, 2008

Tenzarin posted:

Might want to start collecting a list for some of the bosses,
Little Johnny: cut and destroy all his parts. Poison dual rigged weapon, Little Johnny's Forceps V2.0

It also looks like getting the 2.0 version does not lock you out of getting the regular version of some of the unique boss weapons on the same playthrough. At least for the above, the merchant in the octopus mall sells the normal version of the forceps for 0 scrap after killing the boss. The 2.0 is also not a straight upgrade over the regular one since it has a lower base damage to compensate for the poison effect.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Goddamn Little Jimmy is kicking my rear end. Must have tried 20 times. Dude has so much fricking health.
Edit: Oh, turns out its easier if you hit his front ones from underneath, so you don't bounce off his arms

Strom Cuzewon fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Sep 24, 2019

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Okay, I have beaten Little Johnny, but from here I am just running around in circles and am not sure where to go.

frosteh
Apr 30, 2009
Looks like most people in this thread are playing on PC. Anyone playing on a PS4 Pro? Wondering if they still have the 1080p 60fps graphics option that was eventually patched into the first game. If so, how is performance?

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Thanks for the parry tips, I think I'm finally getting the hang of it. Initially I was doing better with just dodging but parrying lets you kill more quickly and is definitely more satisfying. I also love the body execution with the spear, you just stab the dude in the chest in a bunch of times then karate kick his top half off of his body.

edit: also it feels a lot better using a controller.

Tagichatn fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Sep 24, 2019

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Question for Surge vets: I see that some weapons in Surge 2 have more "complete" versions; was there an upgrade mechanic in Surge 1 like that and did they completely override the past version if so?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The only complete versions of weapons are from hardcore kills on bosses. That might not be the case anymore since you can get the non hardcore kill weapon also now.

Now if your talking overall upgrades, they all can be upgraded to some unknown level. In the surge 1, you could upgrade stuff to 20 over 4 playthroughs.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Sep 24, 2019

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I played the first game on mouse and keyboard. I have played this one the same way so far. I think I'm going to try ps4 controller today.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

toasterwarrior posted:

Question for Surge vets: I see that some weapons in Surge 2 have more "complete" versions; was there an upgrade mechanic in Surge 1 like that and did they completely override the past version if so?

In Surge 1 you got special better weapon variants by fulfilling certain conditions in boss fights. So beating the final DLC boss while wearing a special costume got you a variant of the weapon it dropped that did a bunch of corrosion damage etc. It wasn't an upgrade system though you just had one shot per playthrough and none of the requirements were documented or really even hinted at in game

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

The only complete versions of weapons are from hardcore kills on bosses. That might not be the case anymore since you can get the non hardcore kill weapon also now.

Now if your talking overall upgrades, they all can be upgraded to some unknown level. In the surge 1, you could upgrade stuff to 20 over 4 playthroughs.

Ah, alright, thank you. Thankfully, the first zone had a real badass weapon I found to my liking instead of the busted-rear end one-handers: the riot control staff. Great sweeps, decently fast, looks good, and even builds up stun. Real nice.

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments
I'm absolutely blown away by how intricate the city is with alternate routes and such. As an OCD explore-every-nook-and-cranny type, this is completely my jam.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

I said come in! posted:

Okay, I have beaten Little Johnny, but from here I am just running around in circles and am not sure where to go.

Go back to the first non-tutorial area. Behind the security gate near the Doctor, there is a location to use your drone starfish to lift the security lockdown in the area.

Also, be warned - you can FAIL sidequests in this game. I'm halfway tempted to restart after getting that failed prompt. Do not get angry with the doctor

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Might be a weird question, but what's the tone/feel of the game? I've tried to get into the Souls games and Bloodborne but I always end up dropping them because I get too stressed out. I watched CJacob's stream and it seems more like something I can handle but I'm not sure for certain.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUusalRc7y4

JIM Sterling says this game is amazing and he's totally obsessed with it, and he's gushing about it in the video. Spoilers for first boss.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

PunkBoy posted:

Might be a weird question, but what's the tone/feel of the game? I've tried to get into the Souls games and Bloodborne but I always end up dropping them because I get too stressed out. I watched CJacob's stream and it seems more like something I can handle but I'm not sure for certain.

Pretty nice balance of end of the world style chaos interspersed with funny characters and moments. It's not all dark like dark souls. It doesn't take itself too seriously I dont think. There are some humorous moments.

Edit: kinda pissed that I missed that weapon that I missdd... I'd restart but I like my character too much. I guess I will have to play ng+, which I'm assuming there will be. I haven't even gotten to the first real boss yet.

vandalism fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Sep 24, 2019

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Bust Rodd posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUusalRc7y4

JIM Sterling says this game is amazing and he's totally obsessed with it, and he's gushing about it in the video. Spoilers for first boss.

I was a bit wary despite how good it looked because of looking at the actual reviews is a bit of a spread, not to mention ~goon recommendations~. That may push me over the edge though, assuming that I can afford it. It’s been a heavy month as is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am tempted to start a new save file to find out if you can fight the protag from Surge 1 and possibly kill him, see what he drops if you do.