Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
No spoilers please but is there any sign of my beloved Warren? He was a born in a prison with no hope of escape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

vandalism posted:

Pretty nice balance of end of the world style chaos interspersed with funny characters and moments. It's not all dark like dark souls. It doesn't take itself too seriously I dont think. There are some humorous moments.

Edit: kinda pissed that I missed that weapon that I missdd... I'd restart but I like my character too much. I guess I will have to play ng+, which I'm assuming there will be. I haven't even gotten to the first real boss yet.

What weapons are missable? The boss weapons like Surge 1?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Bust Rodd posted:

No spoilers please but is there any sign of my beloved Warren? He was a born in a prison with no hope of escape.

you can find out what happened to him after Surge 1, yeah

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

Your question will be answered in this.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

Tagichatn posted:

What weapons are missable? The boss weapons like Surge 1?

There was a really squishy npc with a 2.0 style weapon that I bodied with a big hammer. RIP her special weapon. I dont like 1 hand weapons that much anyway.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Yo, I'm not a fan of the dual-claw stuff usually but its armor-breaker combo (horizontal, vertical, vertical) comes out lightning fast and finishes with a Guile-esque flash kick, except it retreats you backwards. That's a lot of rapid anti-armor damage that will also bail you out of melee range. I found it interesting considering that if you don't have enough impact on your weapon, as is the case of the one-handers I've seen, it's likely the enemy will be able to hyper-armor through your poo poo and stuff the final hit in your combo.

Small and Blue
Apr 24, 2008
Game good

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

frosteh posted:

Looks like most people in this thread are playing on PC. Anyone playing on a PS4 Pro? Wondering if they still have the 1080p 60fps graphics option that was eventually patched into the first game. If so, how is performance?
They do offer performance v resolution options. On a pro I had no hitching whatsoever, I can try the other option and let you know.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
Well, i hosed up the first boss.

I killed his tanks first, then his legs, then he died. I got the regular weapon which kinda sucks because I wanted the special one. Also, I used the search and rescue drone thinking it was the elctric shock one you get for killing him. So I teleport back to medbay, lost all scrap, and I don't know what was in the next room after the boss or whatever. I tried to go back to the boss area but the walkway leading to it is gone now. I am debating starting over. I am pissed really. Oh well.

I like the way my dude looks and I have spent 7 hours so i probably won't start over.

Also, I tried using a controller and doing the parrying thing and evidently I'm bad at it since I miss almost every one.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Yo the level design and combat is way better.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

vandalism posted:

Pretty nice balance of end of the world style chaos interspersed with funny characters and moments. It's not all dark like dark souls. It doesn't take itself too seriously I dont think. There are some humorous moments.

Edit: kinda pissed that I missed that weapon that I missdd... I'd restart but I like my character too much. I guess I will have to play ng+, which I'm assuming there will be. I haven't even gotten to the first real boss yet.

That's good to hear. I think the oppressive feel of the Souls and Bloodborne settings added a lot to my stress playing.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
drat, I think I missed two unique weapons in a row. After I got the hardcore kill on the second boss (Little Johnny) I failed to cut the arm off of Brother Eli, which I'm honestly not sure how I hosed up. Then I went back to an earlier NPC ( Brother Truman, who you meet immediately after leaving the prison) and he killed me right away. After I respawned he was gone :(. I think I might be able to get the weapon the second NPC had from someone else later in the game, but there isn't much info yet and I'm trying not to spoil too much.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

vandalism posted:

Well, i hosed up the first boss.

I killed his tanks first, then his legs, then he died. I got the regular weapon which kinda sucks because I wanted the special one. Also, I used the search and rescue drone thinking it was the elctric shock one you get for killing him. So I teleport back to medbay, lost all scrap, and I don't know what was in the next room after the boss or whatever. I tried to go back to the boss area but the walkway leading to it is gone now. I am debating starting over. I am pissed really. Oh well.

I like the way my dude looks and I have spent 7 hours so i probably won't start over.

Also, I tried using a controller and doing the parrying thing and evidently I'm bad at it since I miss almost every one.

That sucks. You open up a shortcut back to the boss area with the drone upgrade afterwards, but maybe it can only be unlocked from within the boss arena. I think you might have missed an implant (not sure though), and an audiolog that advances a sidequest

Also this game is definitely best played with a controller. The parrying system takes few tries, but it's definitely much less bizarre than the one from The Surge 1.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

Slanderer posted:

That sucks. You open up a shortcut back to the boss area with the drone upgrade afterwards, but maybe it can only be unlocked from within the boss arena. I think you might have missed an implant (not sure though), and an audiolog that advances a sidequest

Also this game is definitely best played with a controller. The parrying system takes few tries, but it's definitely much less bizarre than the one from The Surge 1.

I tried it and cant get used to controller. Played the surge 1 with mouse and keyboard too.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The game gets pretty dark the further you get in.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Well, I liked the Surge, so here we go. Everything suggests it's the first game but better, and that's all I need.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I will keep trying with a controller. Lots of stuff to manage. Must get good at blocking...

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

Slanderer posted:

drat, I think I missed two unique weapons in a row. After I got the hardcore kill on the second boss (Little Johnny) I failed to cut the arm off of Brother Eli, which I'm honestly not sure how I hosed up. Then I went back to an earlier NPC ( Brother Truman, who you meet immediately after leaving the prison) and he killed me right away. After I respawned he was gone :(. I think I might be able to get the weapon the second NPC had from someone else later in the game, but there isn't much info yet and I'm trying not to spoil too much.

The “2nd boss” I too failed to cut Brother Eli arm, but I dunno what I had to do, I smacked that arm all the fight

Game is fun, the maps are great etc. but these one-time only weapons should be sold later if you don’t get it first time. My one complaint of the game (oh, and I’d rather have a player character that talks, mute protagonists suck)

Miss Mowcher fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Sep 25, 2019

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I've gotten slightly better at countering, which is good, because in Gideon's Rock there's an enemy type that's basically "counter or die".

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

ZZZorcerer posted:

The “2nd boss” I too failed to cut Brother Eli arm, but I dunno what I had to do, I smacked that arm all the fight

There's one thing I've noticed on the mouse/kb or something, sometimes my locked on target just switches randomly. I dunno if its the game switching my lockon when I'm getting pounded or if I'm spinning the mouse wheel during the fight with out noticing.

Second thing which is just a quirk of the game, you can be locked on to a body part but because how the enemy is flailing around, if you hit another body part first that's the one you hit. So your aiming at the arm but hes spinning alot so your hitting his body or left arm. You may notice this as your killing grunts and you get kill animations for parts your not locking on.

Now in this game they also knew about this problem because they added an implant(I don't remember where I got it), makes it so you always hit your locked on body part but you do 70%-75% dmg when you hit the wrong body part. Physical Aggression Redirector is the name of the implant.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Sep 25, 2019

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
i like it but i gotta be honest....it feels more like surge 1.5.

it's also crazy washed out in HDR mode.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Spite posted:

i like it but i gotta be honest....it feels more like surge 1.5.

I’m down. Need work to end!

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
This bullshit fast stomp the second boss does is really pissing me the gently caress off.

EDIT: loving poo poo

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Sep 25, 2019

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore
How's the level design? I stopped the first surge because while the combat was fun the level design was kind of boring so it felt extremely linear and samey.

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments

ymgve posted:

I've gotten slightly better at countering, which is good, because in Gideon's Rock there's an enemy type that's basically "counter or die".

Yeah, I got to the first one of them after getting to the first medbay and bounced off hard. Time to explore and do some sidequests I guess.

Although I guess it could have been weapon problems (the purple Vibrating Staff thing). Is nano damage no good vs. machines?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Hackan Slash posted:

How's the level design? I stopped the first surge because while the combat was fun the level design was kind of boring so it felt extremely linear and samey.

It criss-crosses and folds back around inside around and top of itself like a pile of spaghetti. Makes Dark Souls look like a corridor shooter.

I feel like starting you off with the parry direction indicator was a huge mistake. I'm on a boss that massively requires parrying, and while it's way way harder without the indicator, it's also a much more satisfying challenge. The visuals and attack animations maybe aren't quite clear enough to do it completely indicator-less, but even Sekiro and dedicated fighting games struggle with that.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I changed my block button to mouse 3 and I'm going to try parrying more. I feel like it eats a ton of stamina.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
drat if those two bosses were frustrating, but I got the sons of bitches in the end.

It's a bit concerning but I haven't found any more gear built for fast and dodgy builds in the area after the two bosses, though maybe it's because:

1) I'm looking for complete sets all the time and not mixing and matching. It's a shame because the Scavenger set's full bonus is pretty good.

2) There's waaaay more Goliath and Sentinel sets right now for some reason; makes me feel like I should've gone bigh boi instead of tricksy staff/sword guy.

Also seconding how many shortcuts and new paths open up as you progress, it's real impressive. Legit one of the best parts of the game, this far in.

El Cid
Mar 17, 2005

What good is power when you're too wise to use it?
Grimey Drawer
I really like the "banner" system they added. Super neat use of that particular variety of asynchronous multiplayer. Not sure if any other Dark Souls type games have had that mechanic, but now I am constantly on the lookout for hard to reach places that also do not have any treasure so nobody will place markers showing to check there. I found a good spot in the first zone that worked like three times in a row without anyone finding it, netting me 15k scrap, which is a pretty big boost that early in the game!

Also, like all games of this type I went into it saying I am totally going to get good at parrying but so far I have just been dodging. Sounds like that might bite me in the rear end later?

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

El Cid posted:

I really like the "banner" system they added. Super neat use of that particular variety of asynchronous multiplayer. Not sure if any other Dark Souls type games have had that mechanic, but now I am constantly on the lookout for hard to reach places that also do not have any treasure so nobody will place markers showing to check there. I found a good spot in the first zone that worked like three times in a row without anyone finding it, netting me 15k scrap, which is a pretty big boost that early in the game!

yes ! I love this little side game. Coming up with sneaky places is a lot of fun. I got 2% found by hiding one below the drop down before the first major boss. Players are in a rush to get back into another attempt on the boss so hardly anyone is going to stop and turn around and see it under there. Also you can dash through the mag lifts so anywhere there is space behind a mag lift rush in there and see if you can go around a corner. Got 0% found right in the first med bay area after leaving the police station.

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments
Oh crap, the drone weapon selection button also has a long press to open a weapon wheel! How did I miss that before?

I also just found a nice off the beaten path implant after you get the EMP drone go back through the police station

Merrill Grinch fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Sep 25, 2019

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy
played up to getting to the first hub area and it is really cool just how many weapons i've gotten just in the first area. also this game's hard!

El Cid
Mar 17, 2005

What good is power when you're too wise to use it?
Grimey Drawer

Qmass posted:

Got 0% found right in the first med bay area after leaving the police station.

Ha, yep, that's right where I hid mine to get 0%!

Also, I just started using the spear you can get from uh... Brother Whatever, the guy you meet on top of the police station. And wow, this thing wrecks. It's a slightly slower spear so the impact is higher, and that combined with the electricity it does seems to keep even equal level enemies stunlocked from like 75% to dead.

Nion
Jun 8, 2008

Is the quest "The Witness" bugged? It says to craft or upgrade, but it never seems to complete no matter how much I craft and/or upgrade.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Nion posted:

Is the quest "The Witness" bugged? It says to craft or upgrade, but it never seems to complete no matter how much I craft and/or upgrade.

I only just found the next step for it, but I don't know if I skipped one.
At the homeless guy, there's a dropdown at the river (where you get the spray can) that has an EMP-able door and entrance to the underground. The Witness quest continues there.....hope you didn't upgrade the A.I.D set.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Nion posted:

He asked you to craft him a set of armor, you have to go back to him and sell it to him. Actually it may not be this part yet, that quest kinda come and goes.

Merrill Grinch posted:

Although I guess it could have been weapon problems (the purple Vibrating Staff thing). Is nano damage no good vs. machines?

I'm pretty sure nano damage does damage to machines or robotics as they call it in the game. It's kinda a major theme. I'm also guessing it works on humanoids.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Sep 25, 2019

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Huh, is it a thing in Surge that some weapons are just straight up better than others? I'm checking some of my stuff and wikis, and considering every weapon class has the same moveset, these numbers are just plain bigger across the board for some weapons, with very minor and possibly inconsequential differences.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Yeah, you will straight up find weapons that are just "This is that old weapon except better in every way and with a very slightly different model".

Gideon's Rock is very hard to navigate. I cannot figure out where the gently caress I am at any given time. And then I run into another one of those evil statue things and get wrecked.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Possibly but they do have different energy generation and speed. The tooltips say some spears have different reach values but I couldn't tell.

Infinity Gaia posted:

Gideon's Rock is very hard to navigate. I cannot figure out where the gently caress I am at any given time. And then I run into another one of those evil statue things and get wrecked.

You should practice parrying the statues because it makes them a joke. Even a miss timed parry greatly reduces damage taken at the cost of all your stamina.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Minor boss spoilers:
After beating Brother Eli I went back to the first church guy you talk to (the guy who tells you to go to the giant pink octopus) and told him I killed Eli. He got pissed and fought me and I died, and now he's gone from that spot. Is there any way to fight him again? I want his sick red spear :(