Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

So, I'm thinking about picking this up in the winter sale and I'd like to know: does this game do anything sufficiently interesting or execute its mechanics well enough to not leave you just thinking you could be replaying a From Software game instead? Code Vein just felt like playing a poor man's Dark Souls and I didn't hear great things about The Surge 1, is this actually worth playing outside of being Souls methadone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

snoremac posted:

The mechanics are very satisfying, closer to Sekiro than Dark Souls in that parrying is emphasized. Fights are viscerally engaging. The interconnected map is fun. The story is trash (though Surge 1's is good!). It's a head above other Souls-likes I've played.

Okay guess I'll take the plunge, thanks for the feedback!

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Brief thoughts so far:

- Level design is pretty good. Feels fun to explore, lots of little nooks and crannies and interconnects in a way so you build up a mental map of the shortcuts, very satisfying.
- Wow this game actually has a practical, functioning jump! Miyazaki take note.
- There is lots of loot, perhaps too much? Not all weapons feel like were created equal either, some of the weapon have animations that are painfully slow but they don't seem to have the damage or stagger to back them up. Meanwhile speedy multi-hit weapons like the spear and dual claws seem incredibly op so far, especially with the ghetto rally effect you can get from tanking through hits with your charge attack and then healing from the meter gained.

Anyway all in all I'm enjoying this so far, it doesn't have the polish or the atmosphere of a From game it's very fun all the same, definitely the best non-From Souls game I've played.