Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
Freya mentions something about that she thought Balder was lost or something. With this in mind, it's likely that the one rescued at the beginning is Balder. This also creates the potential that Balder, who is very serious about protecting humans, is without his knowledge the cause of the monsters attacking the humans. Just imagine the potential drama they can throw on one of the blandest character ever!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Finally getting around to actually watching episode 1 and lol that opening cutscene was pre-title. I kept waiting for you to gain control mid-combat for a tutorial!

Also wow this game looks like rear end, was 2008 really that long ago?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
2008 also had Smash Bros Brawl, Dead Space, and Metal Gear Solid 4. this game is uh... well, something

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It was developed for earlier consoles so that may be why it looks like trash

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Still processing, but I gotta run

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Looking back on it the game was incredibly lovely but I did actually kind of enjoy my time playing it.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

"Hey guys, I need a name for an enemy in our Norse mythology inspired game."

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
I'm sixty seconds in to this video and god I wish I wasn't.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Rookie Björn has panicked.

So the Goblin sounds like pigs and the "Trolls" sound like either cows or something like that based on their groans.

Also I'm pretty sure that "I'm sure he just hates you more" comes from Band of Brothers or some war other movie.

Also, valhalla valhalla valhalla valhalla valhalla valhalla valhalla valhalla.

Edit
This has to be one of the worst boss fights I've ever seen in any game.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Sep 30, 2019

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
God... I don't remember it being so bad. Like, part of me is like "Yeah! That was fun!" and the part of me that isn't an idiot is like, "What the gently caress was wrong with me when I played this?"

I love the chatter of your dudes though. Reminds me of the EDF games.

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

The thread title is heck of good.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Why did Baldur even bring the soldiers with him? They don't do anything. I guess that is par for the course for action games, but still.

I remember reading an article about this when it came out that made the concept seem kind of neat, and it could probably make for some decent pathos if executed well. But this game seems... bad.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Cooked Auto posted:

This has to be one of the worst boss fights I've ever seen in any game.
Clearly, you haven't seen the rest of this game's boss fights.

Karia posted:

Why did Baldur even bring the soldiers with him? They don't do anything. I guess that is par for the course for action games, but still.
Their piddling guns do damage and can kill things. They draw enemies to them, too.

Unless you die. I've seen it quite a few times in the first run that the moment Baldy drops dead, everyone ceases hostilities and chills.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

SelenicMartian posted:

Clearly, you haven't seen the rest of this game's boss fights.

Yeah I suppose I spoke too soon.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
This game's really reminding me of a Blizzard game in writing and presentation. It wants so badly to be a MODERN CLASSIC FANTASY/SCI-FI EPIC and it's just... not.

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
It's weird to think a game could manage to gently caress up something as simple as "this boss has a giant glowing weakpoint", but that seems to be exactly what happened with the Grendel robot. It's chest grinders were kinda-sorta glowing red until you hit them enough (with no visual or audio effect to show your attacks were doing anything), and then the red glow vanished and it stopped trying to grab you and shove you into its chest. So I guess you destroyed the chest grinders, which let you start to deal damage to the boss again, until it opened its face grinder which also had a kinda-sorta red glow.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I feel that would've made sense if you actually had an option to pick what to shoot at with your guns. Or even lock on with your melee attacks.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
When one of the interchangeable chuckle fucks with baldur said the line "bad guy meet gun. Gun bad guy." I wanted to die.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

that is quite the party trick, making your knives yodel like that

do later attacks harmonize with it? or at least make even funnier noises?

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
I watched the video.

I'm not sure I remember the video. I think there was a boss fight that you literally can't lose because you respawn when you die with no drawbacks?

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

berryjon posted:

I watched the video.

I'm not sure I remember the video. I think there was a boss fight that you literally can't lose because you respawn when you die with no drawbacks?

There's a whole game like that, it's called Too Human

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
This game came out a year after Mass Effect, Why do the character models look like they were ripped from a mid-lifetime PS2 game? And the way the characters move remind me of the cutscenes from Diablo 2 and Starcraft. Nothing about this game looks like it was made in 2007, or that it was designed or intended in any way to be fun.

I can't wait to see more.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
I do appreciate how the very first boss is a gimmick boss where the gimmick is never explained or hinted at in any way, but the only drawback to dying is player frustration at watching the stupid Valkyrie animation again, so you can flail at it until it somehow dies for reasons you don't understand nor care about.

Also it occasionally ran over to knock down walls. Was this relevant in any way? Were you supposed to be using those walls somehow? Who knows!

My favorite part was how it had this preanimated grab attack where it would pick Baldur up and shove him headfirst into the grinder on its chest, and the attack did pitifully low damage. It think I lose more health scratching my nose than Baldur would lose having his face shoved into spiked grinder.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

I'm honestly a bit disappointed that in the moments of rest you can't walk up the grunts and they give you generic lines like "Awaiting further orders" or "We've got your back". I thought that was default in all character action games that given you a group of peons.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

God I love the achievement for dying 100 times.

Here, spend over and hour and a half watching a winged cyber lady drag you into the ceiling only to plop you back down into combat.

That's the length of an average movie.

Also, I love how Grendel just sorta gingerly rubs you against his grinder chest and instantly lets go

Gothsheep posted:

Also it occasionally ran over to knock down walls. Was this relevant in any way? Were you supposed to be using those walls somehow? Who knows!

95% sure this was just a case of 'hey guys we got destructable environments whooooooooooa'.

I get the feeling those will be entirely set pieces from here on out.

Kurieg posted:

This game came out a year after Mass Effect, Why do the character models look like they were ripped from a mid-lifetime PS2 game? And the way the characters move remind me of the cutscenes from Diablo 2 and Starcraft. Nothing about this game looks like it was made in 2007, or that it was designed or intended in any way to be fun.

Keep in mind that Too Human was originally designed as a PS1 game. The models probably were carried over from 6th gen console development and given the bare minimum upgrade on 7th gen hardware.

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007
I too played and enjoyed this game when it came out, maining Bio-Engineer because I didn't trust health packs. This was a mistake but what isn't a mistake in this game?

Man, there's so much of a reason why Denis Dyack is in Failed Developer Purgatory right along with George Broussard here. Imagine how lovely you have to be to get frozen out of the industry as a white guy who used to run poo poo.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
I also have this game and don't remember the first thing about it really. I know I didn't get far. I vaguely recall being absolutely screwed pretty quickly because I went with a melee specialized character. It was all well and good until I got to the enemies almost totally invulnerable to melee and my ranged weapon was doing chip damage.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Yeah, I have Too Human as well. It's sitting in my games bookshelf, one of only ten Xbox 360 games I own. (That 360 is the only console I've ever owned, and it ended up being a bit of a wasted purchase.)

I played Too Human in... 2011, it would have been. I only got it (second-hand) because I'd just moved house and my computer (the PSU specifically) literally exploded in the middle of the night after the move, and the ISP/telco were playing silly-buggers with my Internet connection so...

No computer and no Internet for two weeks. I knew Too Human's reputation; that's what it took. I needed something to play in that time.

I know I finished it, but like other people here, I remember next to nothing about it. I vaguely remember the drawn-out intro movie in the bar (in that I remember it was in a bar and there was a big robot), and also the inventory screen, sort of. Lots of comparing armour/weapons. And that's it.

It's a really bad and forgettable game!

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Mentioning The Third Age while playing this game is an insult to a perfectly fine 'FFX: LotR Edition'. (Yes, seriously.)

I actually went and looked at GameFAQs to see if there was a gimmick at play with that boss, and it's as people said. Just shoot it in the face/chest when it's upright. :geno:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
But... LOTR Third Age is bad.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I remember playing LOTR Third Age myself. But I barely remember anything of it. The only reason I can say I played it is because that screenshot is way too familiar (and not just because of FFX).

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

It's got a romantic subplot so bad, I'd love to LP it just for that.

"Oh, fair elf maiden, I've saved your life a few times, we've battled together for days, let's hold hands!"
"Er, no. You're destined for that crazy girl with axes, and big tits in a tight top. The one that hasn't had a line of dialogue in hours."
"Oh. OK."

*Gandalf has sent you 20 video messages*

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
LotR:TTA has its flaws, but I enjoyed it. :shrug: Even just the existence of Evil Mode elevates it above this... thing.

SelenicMartian posted:

*Gandalf has sent you 20 video messages*
...I would be okay with SM mocking it in a LP though. Because yeah, the optional cutscenes are something.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

SelenicMartian posted:

Still processing, but I gotta run

Holy gently caress, this game... :stare:

I think I'll just let My Cousin Vinny say it for me, though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zzjjZ3bUWo

azren fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Oct 8, 2019

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

If one of the antagonists of your Norse myth sci-fi game is a big scary wolf, wouldn't you then make the protagonist Tyr?

It's also pretty amazing how every firearm in the game seems to be the worst option for every situation.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It's amazing how dull the combat is in this game

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Im beginning to understand why I remember this game, but have forgotten it at the same time.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
We had one video that frequently switches between cutscenes and gameplay, one that is almost only gameplay and the next will apperently be very cutscene heavy. We may get all that the game has to offer very soon.

Anyway, the boss battle was the most embarrassing thing so far. The story and the battles are bad, but did not cause the game randomly freeze. What an unfinished mess this game is.

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007
there are actually real game mechanics that are glossed over but does anyone really care about them? Because back when this game came out a few people actually went in and like, looked up how to do builds and such in this shitcarnival and figured out how to do air combos and command buffer into landing safe finishers and what purpose alignment serves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
No. Mash buttons win game.