Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
I noticed a lot of people mentioned having a problem remembering things about the game. I can think of two reasons.

1) The game fails in an unremarkable way. It doesn't have spectacular problems like say Daikatana with weapons being perilous to the wielder, a stereotypical big black guy named Superfly and AI characters to babysit. All it really has in boring story starring a boring main character, boring combat and long revival animation after death.

2) The game is fragmented both in story and gameplay, making it hard to grasp. In terms of story, we have something about a pact of the dead being broken and Hel starting a war as a result, something humans being murdered by a grinder machine, something Hood murdering Balder's wife, something Loki being bad, something about an ancient war machine from an ancient race and a virtual reality. But how does it all tie together? Loki is obviously connected to the war machine and Hood's crime, but things are still muddy on a lot of points and what about the rest? There are just loose pieces of story floating around, there's not much of a storyline. In terms of gameplay, I'm seeing at least two different combat systems put into a single game. There's a Diablo like aspect when you're fighting Elves and other machine that goes down in a few hits. You hack away at the enemies, use skills to cause more damage, are expected to avoid some damage, but also to take some (without getting potion equivalents to heal the chip damage you keep taking) and get better and better loot. Then there's the trolls that you are supposed to dodge by rolling or jumping and target their weak points. Those two aspects are very disconnected and doesn't flow together at all. Our brain is much better at remembering things that fits together than things that seemingly have very little to do with each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Today I learned that most of the people who worked on the sound in Too Human never worked in the industry again after SK :allears:

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I hated everything about this boss and how long it took to kill it.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Boss's name pretty much says it all.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Man, that ending cutscene was a huge faaaart, but that bit at the beginning where Thor throws his hammer is just so :effort: How anyone could watch that and think it's okay is beyond me.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

CommissarMega posted:

Man, that ending cutscene was a huge faaaart, but that bit at the beginning where Thor throws his hammer is just so :effort: How anyone could watch that almost everything about this game and think it's okay is beyond me.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Thor's hammer throw at the end was amazing. It was like seeing Birdemic for the first time all over again :allears:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

CommissarMega posted:

Man, that ending cutscene was a huge faaaart, but that bit at the beginning where Thor throws his hammer is just so :effort: How anyone could watch that and think it's okay is beyond me.

On that note, I still can't understand how people put in so much work in this kind of stuff and they still don't care, to the point of this turning out out to be this poo poo.

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Nov 12, 2019

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

SelenicMartian posted:

Today I learned that most of the people who worked on the sound in Too Human never worked in the industry again after SK :allears:

Jesus, the audio issues somehow manage to get worse

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

HardDiskD posted:

On that note, I still can't understand how people put in so much work in this kind of stuff and they still don't care, to the point of this turning out out to be this poo poo.

Because you got a product and you got to make money somehow. Also, I doubt everyone on the team was super invested in this game.

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007

Ramos posted:

Because you got a product and you got to make money somehow. Also, I doubt everyone on the team was super invested in this game.

This was Denis Dyack's constipation-poo poo baby, everyone else was just hoping the check wouldn't bounce so they could go work somewhere more stable, like that Uber thing that people were talking up.

Erd
Jun 6, 2011
This is also the third? fourth? iteration of this game. I'm sure everyone was excited to make it the first time.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

"What are you gonna do, slaughter me?"
Quote from the man slaughtered.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It is kind of a shame that the one vaguely interesting plot development happens just before the game ends.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Is Loki an eco-terrorist?

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
They feared a war on two fronts when attacking Helheim? I thought that they were fighting Hel all the time. Back at the opening cutscene, Hel said "this means war" so I assumed it was her army the Aesir were fighting. Who were the Aesir on war with? Game of thrones books don't confuse me this much.

Anyway, the final mission has some good points to it. I think it sells the idea that a war is going on really well. The undead upgrade to goblin is also pretty good, a basic enemy that can take a few hits. It's not actually looking like a good mission, just less bad.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Crystalgate posted:

They feared a war on two fronts when attacking Helheim? I thought that they were fighting Hel all the time. Back at the opening cutscene, Hel said "this means war" so I assumed it was her army the Aesir were fighting. Who were the Aesir on war with? Game of thrones books don't confuse me this much.

The Ymir/Frost Giants/Robots were the first front.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I think that was Thor killing himself at the beginning there.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

That Which Vomits Diseased Brains is a name.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

It cut off early by the way.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Honestly I think the ending works well as it is

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
Bless you for speeding this up.

I also enjoyed this exchange:
:sweatdrop: "Unidentified enemy unit spotted!"
:downs: "Assume it's hostile"

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

EasilyConfused posted:

Bless you for speeding this up.

I also enjoyed this exchange:
:sweatdrop: "Unidentified enemy unit spotted!"
:downs: "Assume it's hostile"

They aren't technically wrong.

Also it is hilarious to hear Baldur bitching about Hel statues considering their entire home base is just about servicing their own ego.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Goddamn Epic were the ones to sue over making this game?
Id could have also made a suit as well, I recognize some of those death screams as grunts from Quake.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
god those battlepiles during the bossfight

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

god drat Hel has some legs

TheKirbs
Feb 16, 2018

True reality is on this side of the screen

Wait, were we meant to know the badly animated notBaldur who suicided the dog? :confused:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

TheKirbs posted:

Wait, were we meant to know the badly animated notBaldur who suicided the dog? :confused:

Tyr in this case. Mostly only there because you're fighting not-Fenris and then Tyr obviously has to be around.

Correction, Garmr is actually the guardian of Hel and he and Tyr kills each other at Ragnarok. Who knew they could be accurate once in a while.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Nov 26, 2019

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

David D. Davidson posted:

Goddamn Epic were the ones to sue over making this game?
Id could have also made a suit as well, I recognize some of those death screams as grunts from Quake.

A lot of the Doom and Quake sounds are just stock sounds, you can hear them all over the place.

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007

Anime Reference posted:

A lot of the Doom and Quake sounds are just stock sounds, you can hear them all over the place.

Every stock sound effect is just a fifty year old recording of Frank Welker loving around with some trash cans and whatever else happened to be in the studio that day.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Here comes the last chance for the plot to become a plot. Will they manage?

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
What a stale fart of a game.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

CyBeRsPaCe BeNdS tO mY wIlL!

Well, it was pretty obvious Baldur wasn't the classic Baldur and yeap, nothing much happened. Onto the next bit of schlock, I guess.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Truly Hel was hoisted by her own petard in the end. :geno:

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I think the most important lore question I'm left with is - Did we think Odin was the only one to master the Runes??

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

You should do the Janes wannabe Ace Combat game if you haven't already played it.

Also that ending to the video. :golfclap:

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
That was the twist? The thing that was telegraphed hours ago? I'm genuinely disappointed. I was expecting something way crazier.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Hell me too. I thought that the twist was going to be that Balder's wife wasn't actually real and it was just a fake memory that the aesir planted in his head to cover up the whole being dead thing. To be fair I also expected that Jessie Eisenberg's Lex Luthor in Batman v Superman was wearing a wig the whole time too.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I wish there was at least some ingame acknowledgement/ramifications for not-dying and getting carried away by valkyries a billion times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

It was probably a change added late in development by which point it was probably to late to add any mention of it.
Or it was just too much :effort:.