Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Ramos posted:

It's to add to the military feel of things, at the very least this feels like a military organization. That said, I can almost guarantee at one point, they had up on the design document "order troops around" as a sort of hybrid of Pikmin and regular action game. Then gave up on that when they realized they had to do mob AI smarter than "Path find to single target".

Yeah, but the military theme feels completely superfluous. I can't tell if they are actually trying to say something about the military complex or corporate interests intersecting with warfare or if these dying growly men are supposed to be tragic. None of the elements seem to be working towards a similar narrative goal, so it all just feels like there's no point to any of it. My first guess was that this game came out on the 360 during peak Call of Duty and Gears of War years, but this thing had been in development since before Gears was even conceptualized. Did they rework the game to have a bigger emphasis on tough army dudes at a very late stage? It feels very tacked on.

My main confusion is that I mostly know Silicon Knights from Blood Omen, which is a game that wears its themes on its sleeves. I guess Eternal Darkness did, too, but that game's theme was mostly "Cthulhu is cool as hell".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

I think soldiers just come from the idea that Vikings were raiders and you can't really raid in your own, so if the Aesir are cyborgs then the Vikings are sci-fi soldiers, no more thinking required.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

If you are playing this on co-op, do you have multiple Baldurs running around?

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
I think the soldiers are here because Halo had them. This game came out before companies really had the chance to start aping Call of Duty. A lot of decisions were probably made to squeeze out the last few drops of milk from the Halo cash cow.

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007

ZeusCannon posted:

The cutscenes on this are wildly bad. I legitimately do not remember ever being in the city of this game so i must have blocked it out.

To people saying this feels like an mmo i think it did have 4 player coop?
Nope! Two players only! But they only realized their bootleg eraserhead baby Unreal 3 knockoff could only handle two characters late into development so that's why there's two different DPS classes, a tank, a healer, and a mediocre because air combos are stupid like every other mechanic. Have fun duo-ing up as Bio-Engineers, fuckheads!

HardDiskD posted:

If you are playing this on co-op, do you have multiple Baldurs running around?

Not inside cutscenes, but yes, there's two Baldurs in co-op. There would be four Baldurs but programming is too hard

Deadmeat5150 posted:

So EYE the Divine Cybermancy, but without fun gameplay to back it up?

This game doesn't deserve to be in the same conversation as EYE, which has Mechanics and Systems and Goals and Co-Op with more than two players and a plot that's actually interesting and goes places instead of nordic-flavored space gruel.

Gulping Again fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Oct 17, 2019

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

EYE is a game that doesn't fully work, but it's still a game that lets you turn invisible, hyper-jump over eight guys while dashing at super-speed, spin around in the air, turn on your accuracy booster implant, and mow them down with an SMG that fires on full auto and fuller auto before you land.

That's already worlds beyond this.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I feel a lot of the issues with EYE would've been fixed with a better translation.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The translation in EYE is a very important part of how wonderful it is. The issues are more stuff like 'armor piercing weapons become extremely necessary which means you can't use the amazing shotgun or automatics anymore' and stuff like that. Mostly places where it seemed like you had a ton of options and ridiculous stuff you could do, but then it ended up boiling down to only a few viable choices. But the weird fever dream translation and atmosphere are perfect.

It was also much more ambitious than this 'click stick in direction to do Cool Combo!' nonsense in this game.

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007
Too Human's idea of a special ability are varying types of lovely drones of questionable-at-best efficacy.

EYE's idea of a special ability is on-demand telefragging.

And yes, the janky translation is a major element of the game's charm and a good, serious translation would lose a lot of EYE's personality. The franglish imperfection gives the game a veneer of 80's action movie dumb and David Lynch style 'the gently caress was that' at the same time.

Too Human is a game that's trying to ape Other Popular Titles without understanding what made any of them work, and then mashing what superficially resembles their elements together into a wretched slurry that brings to mind the old, miserably tired anime gag of a girl who can't cook. That's how this game was put together; with the mindset that ingredients that look similar are the same thing as each other and will work the same way in a recipe.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

yes, but

in this game you can make your blades yell at monsters to hurt them

and computer programs erotically mutilate themselves before you because...

look, at least your big knives make howling noises, that’s cool right

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I just wanted to turn this conversation into one about why EYE is a great game.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Only as long as you don't understand what the hell is going on. Figuring out the mechanics turns it into a boring grindfest.
Another reason why the horrible translation is actually a boon.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school

Deadmeat5150 posted:

My knowledge of EYE comes from an old conversation with a fellow goon, who has kindly permitted me to reproduce it:

quote:

I have no idea what's going on.
Last mission I ended up in a three-way fight between bandits and creatures from the Warp and me.
I had a pistol that holds 100 rounds, and can fire them all in two seconds.
Unfortunately I only brought 3000 rounds of ammunition for it.
By the end of the mission I was having constant psychotic breakdowns, hallucinating, lashing at shadows with my psychic abilities and hacking my way through dozens of creatures with my sword.
Because I had no ammo.
And I couldn't scavenge any from enemies because I had to eat it to survive, because I forgot to pack a medkit.

Wait, you had to eat your ammo?

quote:

No, I had to eat their ammo. I used up all of mine long ago.
And Warp creatures don't carry guns, so how am I meant to restore my health? I can't eat them.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Basically EYE: Divine Cybermancy is actual video game art, with the bonus that there are folks out there who really don't get it, maaaan.

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007
All you strictly NEED to know about EYE is that if you take the greatsword you only really need a gun for enemies you can't reach from ground level because it does enough damage to gib pretty much everything in one hit.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

In how many more ways can this suck?

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Man, the fact that you can't regain/regenerate health when you need it combined with the death animation taking aaages is jut... why would you do that? What kind of hare-brained design genius was behind that decision?

EDIT: And that 20 minute cooldown, holy poo poo. What kind of morons designed this? Seriously, I can't fathom why they deliberately made a game with so much bullshit.

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Oct 21, 2019

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

SelenicMartian posted:

In how many more ways can this suck?

How to use your Disciplined Maul of Hypnosis -

:cool: Hey you.

:v: Huh?

:fuckoff:

:hehe: You're feeling very sleepy...

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
sooooooooooo

:v: when you gonna LP FOBOS?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Fish Noise posted:

sooooooooooo

:v: when you gonna LP FOBOS?

Well the bottom has already been reached so the only way to go after this is up.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

I stopped paying attention to names of enemies but going by how weapons are randomly generated with silly names, the enemies are too. Should give you a string of interesting names but:

1. Who pays attention to that?
2. A lot of generated ones aren't interesting or reflective.
3. Why would you put groin as one of your nouns in there?

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Let me give people some perspective on how bad Fallout Brotherhood of Steel is:
I'd rather play Fallout 76.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
"Today we have all earned our place in Valhalla!"

As long as you don't get killed by a ranged weapon. ODIN doesn't give a poo poo about you if you aren't able to close to melee range before getting snuffed.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
You know, my first thought was that the power recharged after so many deaths. You know, a leg-up for sucking at this game because the game suck. But a 20 minute timer? WTF?

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Oh man, I remember sinking dozens of hours into Champions of Norrath as a kid. I wonder if that game holds up. Probably not, right?

berryjon posted:

You know, my first thought was that the power recharged after so many deaths. You know, a leg-up for sucking at this game because the game suck. But a 20 minute timer? WTF?

I also thought it was charged by deaths because that was the worst option I could think of before the reveal.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
And here I was foolishly optimistic that it was charged by killing poo poo, the way super modes in most action games like this work.

Melaneus
Aug 24, 2007

Here to make your dreams and nightmares come true.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

The face is killing me. Also a full 20 minute cooldown is insane but also giving NO INDICATION of whats happening is worse.

Also radio dramas make me laugh because they keep trying to be all gritty etc while you keep dying constantly over and over and over

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

ZeusCannon posted:

The face is killing me. Also a full 20 minute cooldown is insane but also giving NO INDICATION of whats happening is worse.

Also radio dramas make me laugh because they keep trying to be all gritty etc while you keep dying constantly over and over and over

I love how you can listen to a lengthy diatribe about a soldier losing his mind at the horrors of war and being cruelly executed by his commanding officer and then three minutes later you can hear that same group of soldiers shouting "Didn't break a sweat!" while they give each other high-fives.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Crowetron posted:

I also thought it was charged by deaths because that was the worst option I could think of before the reveal.
lemme see if I can think of worse that would actually fit the game without going into absurd comedy:

long timer... reset on death

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Ah, I forgot about the two Champions games! I quite enjoyed them, particularly playing the berserker in the second one.

Too Human continues to be a stunning example of how not to design a videogame.

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
This game has been trough development hell and some aspects of the terrible combat can be attributed to it. For example, the combat seems to be a patchwork of different combat systems awkwardly stitched together. However, it does not explain idiotic ideas like the 20 minute cooldown for a skill that's just good, but not fantastic, under right circumstances and the inclusion of a poorly implemented class system in a game where you could easily just not have a class system. It does also not explain the poor writing, making me think that a lot of the crap that can be explained with development hell is probably incompetence instead.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
The problem with any reasonable explanation for explaining this game's problems is that the game is just too awful in every aspect.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Honestly, nothing explains - or excuses - a 20 minute cooldown. Special moves are there for you to have fun with.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
But what if you could have it kill about 3 enemies every 20 seconds instead? The game would be too easy!

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Zanzibar Ham posted:

But what if you could have it kill about 3 enemies every 20 seconds instead? The game would be too easy!

Did the people behind that 20 minute cooldown system decision go on to work on Anthem's loot generation? :tinfoil:

Yzuped
Apr 22, 2014
Is the HUD just slightly wobbling? constantly?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Yzuped posted:

Is the HUD just slightly wobbling? constantly?

That's just you shaking your head at everything happening on screen.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

I have no idea what the plot is even trying to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Jormungand?
:raise:

Fimblewinter?
:what:

It's loving fimbulwinter.

Hang on, was one of the blueprints names the KLOBB? There is some irony to them referencing the worst weapon in Goldeneye.