Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Julias posted:

Similarly 'Rascal Does Not Dream of a Dreaming Girl', the film for the TV Series 'Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai' aired this year.

It's also really good.

:qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Eliza posted:

I'm also missing Beastars, or are you leaving that out because of Netflix jail?

Is there a precedence on this? Otherwise next year it'll probably get skipped over and forgotten for having released in 2019 and Netflix jail status long forgotten.

I think being somewhere in the best anime thread could do it some favors when Netflix releases it too.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
It's has typically been whenever the show finishes airing in Japan, that's the year it gets put on the list. So even though 90-95% of Hugtto Pretty Cure aired in 2018, it didn't finish until the start of 2019 and should be included on the show list as well. By that measure Beastars is 1 cour, so it'll finish this year and be on the list as well.

Azur Lane is a weird one, as the last couple of episodes had to be postponed to next season, but otherwise it would have finished this year, though I have a feeling that it's not going to be on many best/worst lists either way.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

if there are accessible fansubs i have no problem putting a netflix show on the list, and i don't think we've had anything that had to be excluded for that reason prior

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Ibblebibble posted:

Maybe Dorohedoro, but I haven't read the manga.
Scanlations are your friend.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Grouchio posted:

Scanlations are your friend.

The early scans for Dorohedero are poo poo, and make the artwork look terrible. Also there is an official release.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Weathering with You is on the list even though most English speaking areas don’t get it until January at earliest, so excluding shows for having subs or not seems a little meaningless.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i thought it had shown already because people have posted about it and also i don't care enough about it to keep track

i'll just take it out and make a note for next year

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

dogsicle posted:

i thought it had shown already because people have posted about it and also i don't care enough about it to keep track

i'll just take it out and make a note for next year

Conterpoint- don't do this because some people have seen it and might want to list it.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I’m trying to think of something to compare Beastars with. It’s like Golden Time if Golden Time didn’t suck, but that doesn’t make sense cuz it didn’t suck not really. Maybe it’s sorta like Starlight Revue if that show was coherent and not about nothing at all. The only thing I can think of really is Honey and Clover but shut the front door Honey and Clover is the best thing ever made why are you comparing it to that.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I take it back. Beastars is its own thing. gently caress comparing things. It is incredibly dorky and owns.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

kater posted:

I take it back. Beastars is its own thing. gently caress comparing things. It is incredibly dorky and owns.

You could say it is its own beast.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

kater posted:

Beastars is its own thing. gently caress comparing things. It is incredibly dorky and owns.

:hai:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
throw Zootopia, Kemonozume, and your high-school drama of choice in a blender and season with a bit of Yakuza and you'll get an approximation at least

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its like someone taped over an episode of the big bang theory with donnie darko or w/e the line is

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

It's the Evangelion of anime.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Beastars is: Anime; hobby-grade storyline; genre-blended, multi-mode competitive e-sports; meta-growth, choice + epic Beastars Heroes!

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

The Colonel posted:

Beastars is: Anime; hobby-grade storyline; genre-blended, multi-mode competitive e-sports; meta-growth, choice + epic Beastars Heroes!

lol

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

It sucks that Stars Align is only one cour, I would have pegged it as a two-cour show. Two more episodes doesn't feel like nearly enough time to wrap everything up.

On the other hand, I'm glad that Chihayafuru is getting two full cours, the third season has been great so far.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Oh hey Build Divers Re Rise decided the time was finally right to have a plot

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
i mean there was one before, it just was way smaller than it is now based on the most recent episode

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

re:rise is ok

and better than gbd 1 by an order of magnitude for now (we'll see how it shakes out in the end because every single Build show except the first one has kind of ended like poo poo, not counting gbd's really solid final episode)

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
No Guns Life is getting a second cour in Spring 2020

https://twitter.com/AIR_News01/status/1207878709815828480?s=19

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Julias posted:

No Guns Life is getting a second cour in Spring 2020

https://twitter.com/AIR_News01/status/1207878709815828480?s=19

I just hope it has a banger of an OP as good as the first cour :rock:.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Since I read about how NGNL does its backgrounds in unreal I can't stop noticing how lifeless and empty they usually are. I hope that technique doesn't become widespread.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
New Yugioh series called Yugoih SEVENS Starting in Spring 2020 (4/1/2020). The designs look a lot simpler and seems to be focused on 'rush duels' (like duel link's speed duels, though with different rules). This is definitely meant for a younger audience, but that's probably a good thing to try to recruit new people into the game.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Wasn't the Dragon Quest movie so bad the original writer of Dragon Quest V is suing them?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Gripweed posted:

Wasn't the Dragon Quest movie so bad the original writer of Dragon Quest V is suing them?

quote:

On December 5, 2019, Dragon Quest V novelist Saori Kumi has filed a lawsuit against the producers of the film. Kumi claims that the names she created for the characters were being used without her permission.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Here's the Yugioh SEVENS trailer from the livestream https://youtu.be/0AoiJZEf0MA

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Also Second Season of The Promised Neverland slated for October 2020 https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-n...ollections_news

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I don't wanna wait until Octobeeeeeer

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Julias posted:

Also Second Season of The Promised Neverland slated for October 2020 https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-n...ollections_news

:stwoon:

Waffleman_ posted:

I don't wanna wait until Octobeeeeeer

:sigh::hf::sigh:

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

https://twitter.com/AIR_News01/status/1208225875633639426?s=19

Dai no Daibouken was my big intro into manga and anime beyond Toonami. It's a pretty good fantasy shounen and I hope this anime has good animation this time around and also adapts past the original (although the original anime ends at the highpoint of the series to be honest)

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

The original's soundtrack was remixes of the videogame soundtrack which I do not think will be in this new one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTw-5iRRFvo

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Good.

Sugiyama die mad, you piece of poo poo.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i don't think the statement was implying they won't use sugiyama's music considering the man is still a deeply powerful and influential person in the japanese music industry and has some degree of pull in politics

if anything if they end up not using his music it'd be because they couldn't secure the rights to it or get him to compose new tracks or w/e

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Waffleman_ posted:

Good.

Sugiyama die mad, you piece of poo poo.
sugiyama is awful, but I'm not sure this post needed to be made

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The Colonel posted:

i don't think the statement was implying they won't use sugiyama's music considering the man is still a deeply powerful and influential person in the japanese music industry and has some degree of pull in politics

if anything if they end up not using his music it'd be because they couldn't secure the rights to it or get him to compose new tracks or w/e

Either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Colonel posted:

I'd say some of his leverage has been lost, considering Dragon Quest's starting to get his music outside of Japan now.