Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Performance?

Better, worse, the same, as Planet Coaster?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I put 100 hours into Planet Coaster to fill up 1/3rd of a park with something I thought was beautiful but in comparison to everyone elses' stuff was amateurish and sad

Will I be able to have this experience in this game too

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Yes.

Look at this video starting at 1:40. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izeK9veupKA

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Songbearer posted:

I put 100 hours into Planet Coaster to fill up 1/3rd of a park with something I thought was beautiful but in comparison to everyone elses' stuff was amateurish and sad

Will I be able to have this experience in this game too

Oh yes most definitely. You will spend hours designing the perfect toilet, only for some kid with extreme Asperger's to release a video of literally Westworld the zoo.

MikeStmria
Aug 13, 2019

"So it begins.."

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Performance?

Once I get to 9k people in my park I will let you know. In Planet Coaster thats the number when my pc kind of wants to poo poo the bed when I zoom in.

As a note. I'm floating around 200.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Where do I find enrichment toys?

I can satisfy all of my critters’ needs, but they’re stuck at 0% enrichment, with a thing saying I need more toys. Sadly, the toys aren’t where I’d think they are. Help?

Salastine
Nov 4, 2008

ecavalli posted:

Where do I find enrichment toys?

I can satisfy all of my critters’ needs, but they’re stuck at 0% enrichment, with a thing saying I need more toys. Sadly, the toys aren’t where I’d think they are. Help?

You need to use Vets to research the animal in question to unlock their toys, after that they'll be under the Habitat tab. Vet and Mechanic research is found under the Zoo tab or whatever it's called.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Salastine posted:

You need to use Vets to research the animal in question to unlock their toys, after that they'll be under the Habitat tab. Vet and Mechanic research is found under the Zoo tab or whatever it's called.

Ah! That explains things. Thanks!

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Performance?

I'm gonna say either the same or worse. I didn't play PC, but my six-month-old gaming rig with a 6GB RTX 2060 can run it at 4K, but only at medium-high settings.

ecavalli fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Nov 6, 2019

Huckert
Aug 1, 2007

For the love of the game
Put a few hours into this, build three habitats and one frog box and I'm already feeling like I'm juggling too much with breakouts, offspring filling up the habitat and all the going-ons. How is this supposed to work when you have dozens of habitats and hundreds of animals? Is there some kind of automated selling off the excess I haven't researched or discovered yet or do you just put all your animals on contraceptives and let em boink when most of them have died of old age?

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Lurgy posted:

Put a few hours into this, build three habitats and one frog box and I'm already feeling like I'm juggling too much with breakouts, offspring filling up the habitat and all the going-ons. How is this supposed to work when you have dozens of habitats and hundreds of animals? Is there some kind of automated selling off the excess I haven't researched or discovered yet or do you just put all your animals on contraceptives and let em boink when most of them have died of old age?

Most of the exhibition animals breed way too fast. I usually buy some snakes and but them on contraceptives. They live a long time, while most of the insects die in the blink of an eye.

vanisher
Jul 12, 2005

Fun Shoe
Really enjoying making shelters from hand, floating paths, and caves.

The animal trading is kind of annoying and slow? Also there should be some kind of test or auditing of your park and the habitat before they let you adopt. I kind of understand they still want it to be easy to play though.

Is there any way to get an estimated sqft for an area without walling it in?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Are there any guides for how to create some of the cool looking zoos that come with the game? The terrain tool is really confusing to figure out, and I can't figure out how to place stairs or ramps.

vanisher
Jul 12, 2005

Fun Shoe

I said come in! posted:

Are there any guides for how to create some of the cool looking zoos that come with the game? The terrain tool is really confusing to figure out, and I can't figure out how to place stairs or ramps.

The easiest way to do stairs/ramps (for me)is to hold ctrl and shift so you create a floating standalone path at the height you want, then connect it to your main path.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Good tip, but for basics U and J raise and lower the end of paths when you’re placing them.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Should I just skip the tutorials and go right to sandbox for most enjoying this?
The tutorial is a bit painful being slow with annoying characters. I just want to get some pets.

vanisher
Jul 12, 2005

Fun Shoe

I said come in! posted:

Most of the parks have buildings with hundreds and hundreds of pieces (at least the ones ive played so far). You can save a building you like from another park by selecting it!

Some of them (that crazy Panda tutorial bridge) seem impossibly complicated

MikeStmria
Aug 13, 2019

"So it begins.."

Lurgy posted:

I am still too stupid to figure out the SA forums so I dont know how to mulitquote, buuut.

The way I deal with this is box everything and sell it or release it. The newbors or youngs wont get boxed, since you cant move them, that helps over corwding.

Hitting u and j also lowers and risees the paths height.

For the other guy, try the steam workshop and look for some blueprints that you like.

Lastly. Terraforming is extremly weird for me in any game, I try to not touch that poo poo at all, but for some reason this game seems to need it a gently caress ton. There is an option called "terrain stamp tool" That should help you a bit when making ponds for your fauna.

Dont forget to put water treatment in the area or they will get ill.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

lol what sort of capitalist hell is this???

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

I said come in! posted:

That must be one hell of an aardvark.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

I said come in! posted:

Conspicuous consumption is real. If I went to a zoo that charged too little i'd assume they were feeding the aardvarks sawdust.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Yeah, considering most decent zoos are at least $20 to get in, and often much more, if one was charging $3 to get in people would probably comment.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Washington D.C. Zoo is free and that is a really good quality zoo. :(

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Why is there nowhere that sells normal zoo tycoon games. I want to run a zoo but this looks too finicky and time-consuming and frankly overwhelming.

MikeStmria
Aug 13, 2019

"So it begins.."

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Why is there nowhere that sells normal zoo tycoon games. I want to run a zoo but this looks too finicky and time-consuming and frankly overwhelming.

Don't think too much about it. Its loving awsome. But yeah, playing it the way its meant to be its a bit too much. Specially when my stupid janitors and mechanics refuse to work xD

Huckert
Aug 1, 2007

For the love of the game
The build area suggests you can build massive zoos, but the attention to details required makes it unfeasible if not impossible. And yeah, I also gave up on terraforming so it's all flat earth society zoos here.

I dunno, it might just not be for me I guess.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
One thing that might help people is something it’s easy to overlook — when you click on a habitat the last tab is “maintenance” and you can adjust how often keepers, vets, and mechanics automatically go to check on the habitat.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Lurgy posted:

The build area suggests you can build massive zoos, but the attention to details required makes it unfeasible if not impossible. And yeah, I also gave up on terraforming so it's all flat earth society zoos here.

Yea, the management aspects will make it hard to make a bigger zoo. But that also means there's plenty of space to make a good zoo.

The breeding aspect of the game, does have some interesting dynamics for actually managing animals. The game penalizes inbreeding a bit. But most of the animals only want 1 male in the habitat... So, seems you'd have to have multiple habitats for animals if you wanted to prevent inbreeding.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Lurgy posted:

Here's some tips, although keep in mind that the Planet games are all time consuming:

• The real meat of the game isn't actually Sandbox, it's either Franchise or a skirmish. In Sandbox you're given unlimited money, unlimited terrain and everything you could ever want. This is incredibly daunting, but the reason for this is that Sandbox should be really used as a test bed and construction area for new ideas. You should use Sandbox to build new enclosures/buildings or habitats, then package them up into a custom asset for use in Franchise. The Franchise/Skirmish modes are the real game since money and management comes into play. This makes it easier to manage expectations with budget reality.
  • Don't go in blind - just like Amusement Parks, use actual Zoo's for reference. San Diego Zoo is a good example - it has three main roads and several off roads, and its designed in such a way as to show as many enclosures as possible whilst walking towards a set area (a cafe or showcase experience somewhere). You don't want visitors to walk for long periods of time to nowhere.
  • The same story goes for enclosures - use references from GIS. Only the most creative can do everything from their mind, the rest of us need something to work on! Don't be afraid to expand references to other ideas also (amusement parks, even airports - Singapore Airport would look great as a central area).
  • Most Zoo's prefer to have valleys rather than hills (San Diego has a sort of rocky mound for its gorilla enclosure I guess). Tall impassable terrain is pointless unless you want to create some sort of natural environment zoo, but that's hard mode. Valleys and "craters" are your friend, as these can be modelled to have a top viewing area walkway for visitors, followed by a bottom glasshouse viewing area. There's a few YouTube videos already that show you how to achieve this. There is even one that creates an "underwater" effect for a crocodile enclosure.
  • There's nothing wrong with using workshop content if you can't be arsed. :)

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
So I had four peafowls. Now I have 97 and most of them are juveniles and they are running out of food and protestors hate it that one of the 97 peafowl juveniles are hungry.

I know you can toggle contraception, but can you grind up the little ones for food for the snakes or something? How should I be dealing with this explosion of loving birds every few months? Is there a way to auto sell animals as they hit adulthood or is there anything else I can do to the juveniles besides sit and watch them age, just as God intended?

Also, making leafbucks in franchise is slow as poo poo. I started with 300, bought a park for 100, and have been getting small ugly animals for my zoo because it's all I can afford.

I've released maybe 40 animals into the wild for a whopping total of maybe 60 leafbucks. Now I'm at like 118.

Getting enough for Bengals tigers seems like an impossible task at 300+ each.

Also there are no animals available to buy with donation-dollars, right? Every time I load up the animal buyer and click $$$ instead of leafbucks it's like NOPE, no animals here.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

LordAdakos posted:

Also there are no animals available to buy with donation-dollars, right? Every time I load up the animal buyer and click $$$ instead of leafbucks it's like NOPE, no animals here.

Animals for $$ are put up by Frontier regularly, its just a matter of sitting there and refreshing often because they're snapped up almost instantly. It's usually fairly low tier animals but I got some hyenas that set the ball rolling and now I have tigers, orangutans and elephants

I think my elephant is depressed :smith:

Winklebottom fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Nov 7, 2019

MikeStmria
Aug 13, 2019

"So it begins.."
Your elpehant looks dead bro.

Also, anyone having issues with mechanics not fixing vandalized stuff or janitors not really cleaning? It is driving me loving crazy and I have a lot of staff. They just wander in the staff only paths.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I think I'd like this game, but I tried it and the game crashed after the first achievement. Is there anywhere I can go to see what the patch schedule might be? Thanks in advance.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

MikeStmria posted:

Your elpehant looks dead bro.

Also, anyone having issues with mechanics not fixing vandalized stuff or janitors not really cleaning? It is driving me loving crazy and I have a lot of staff. They just wander in the staff only paths.

I think mechanics don't fix vandalized stuff, you have to replace it yourself (which is annoying), so I've just been hiring lots of security and putting up cameras.

MikeStmria
Aug 13, 2019

"So it begins.."

Winklebottom posted:

I think mechanics don't fix vandalized stuff, you have to replace it yourself (which is annoying), so I've just been hiring lots of security and putting up cameras.

The info and poo poo says they are supposed to. A patch jsut came in with some updates.

quote:

Hello Zookeepers!

It's been two days since Planet Zoo's launch and your initial reaction has been phenomenal! We've been loving all of the creations, screenshots and animal details you have shared! We're so grateful for the feedback and reports you have been sending in and the team has been working hard to resolve as many issues as possible.

We've now rolled out our first update for Planet Zoo, designed to fix some of the most immediate issues which have been raised. Please don't worry if an issue you have reported isn't listed; we are still hard at work on your reports and feedback and will have more updates coming soon! Please take a look below for the full update notes:

Stability
Added several crash and stability fixes, including -
Crash when deleting pick up based enrichment item while an animal is using it;
Crash when moving staff buildings;
Crash when moving animals to quarantine;
Crash when selecting the Inspector notification;
Crash when signing up to newsletter;
Crash when deleting shops;
Crash when moving exhibits;
Crash when animals are released to wild;
Crash when using 'locate' button from objectives;
Crash when switching between fullscreen and borderless.
Scenarios
Fixed some objectives in Scenario 3 of Career Mode auto-completing.
Franchise Mode & Main Menu
The newsletter sign-up is now hidden during the welcome screen. This will prevent any issues from signing up before creating your avatar.
Fixed issue with profanity filter not allowing players to create franchise zoos. We have also improved messaging regarding this issue.
Staff
Fixed issue with multiple mechanics not repairing vandalised objects efficiently.
Animals
Various improvements have been made to climbing (Sorry flying bears!)
UI
Zoo tax is now shown on the Zoo Overview menu to give you greater information on your finances.
Guests
Fix for guest avatar heads disappearing.
Rendering
Fix rendering issues caused by ultra wide displays.
General
We are aware of an issue where the wrong image is displayed for the Community Challenge (it should be the tigers!). If this is the case, please restart your Steam client as it's a caching issue; do let us know if the issue persists!
As mentioned, this is only the first of our post-launch updates for Planet Zoo. We'll be sure to keep you informed regarding the next ones! Thank you again for your continued support and feedback!

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

LordAdakos posted:

So I had four peafowls. Now I have 97 and most of them are juveniles and they are running out of food and protestors hate it that one of the 97 peafowl juveniles are hungry.

I know you can toggle contraception, but can you grind up the little ones for food for the snakes or something? How should I be dealing with this explosion of loving birds every few months? Is there a way to auto sell animals as they hit adulthood or is there anything else I can do to the juveniles besides sit and watch them age, just as God intended?

You could always move them to a different enclosure. I'm sure they'd get on marvellously with some Grizzlies, or a couple of tigers

vanisher
Jul 12, 2005

Fun Shoe

LordAdakos posted:

I've released maybe 40 animals into the wild for a whopping total of maybe 60 leafbucks. Now I'm at like 118.

Getting enough for Bengals tigers seems like an impossible task at 300+ each.

When people visit your zoo you can say "hi" and get 20 leafs

I set up some Himalayan Brown Bears at 100 a pop and they had a cub which I released for 200. Now they are pregnant again so I'm looking to transition those leafs into a new animal.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Is it possible to build an open air peafowl exhibit? I have guest gates and a barrier around but I wanted to do something like the hedge maze...but it says invalid destination.

edit I am an idiot and didn't have a keeper gate.

Elendil004 fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Nov 8, 2019

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Elendil004 posted:

Is it possible to build an open air peafowl exhibit? I have guest gates and a barrier around but I wanted to do something like the hedge maze...but it says invalid destination.

edit I am an idiot and didn't have a keeper gate.

you figured that out already but I did something similar in the beta so heres some screenshots:

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

My franchise zoo looks like rear end but it's a leaf making machine. I can heartily recommend cheetahs, they're very easy to breed and they get 3-5 cubs which can be sold for 300-400 leaves for the lowest quality of them. I got 2k each for a male elephant and a male gorilla but that took 10-15 years while the cheetahs mature in 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

When I go to place walls and windows they automatically snap to grid, so if I want to judge or place at non grid I have to hit exit each time. Is there a hotkey for that or something?