Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
Does the game lean more toward building a pretty zoo or does it also have a deep management aspect too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Ultimately it leans towards building pretty zoos, but theres a lot more actual game and management here than in planet coaster- things need power to run, pools need water treatment etc, and the animals can require attention as well. There is a genetics mechanic so that you can be focusing on breeding better quality animals, which then get you more leafs when you release them or sell them etc.
That being said it isn't the greatest challenge to maintain a well made exhibit, but if i take the extra time setting it up perfectly to begin with I feel ive earned that, and things like water treatment breaking down or fences deteriorating can occur if you don't stay on top of things. Apparently its pretty easy to go bankrupt from what i've heard, but mainly if you spread yourself too thin too early, or manage to let a bunch of your animals die, without being able to get replacements to make money with. I can definitely see larger zoos being pretty complicated to keep running smoothly, and may even actually require you to set up more efficient staff path layouts and work zones. There is a backstage mechanic similar to Parkitect where guests do not want to see staff buildings, so you want to hide or decorate them, and you can place staff only path.
I feel that its less overwhelming than planet coaster due to the smaller scale of a zoo, but still is a Planet game so the main draw here is making your own park. The career mode is a bit more involved than the planet coaster was, which was mainly just custom scenarios anyone couldve put together but made by the dev team. Here theres more of a narrative to what youre doing in each park.
Its definitely a huge step forward in terms of actual gameplay compared to planet coaster, and the building pieces really feel like they hold their own a lot more than planet coasters pieces did, meaning better looking buildings with less effort than it took in coaster- theres just more detail and the sets are more coherent while also being more versatile

MikeStmria
Aug 13, 2019

"So it begins.."
I can confirm you can go broke in no time. I had over 200k and 4k leafs. MAde some paths and improvents. moved some habitats so I had the Asian area with their respective animals. Everything went downhill from there.

You really need to manage lots of stuff. I can see this more about managing stuff than actual building, At least, on what Im playing which is challenge. On Franchsie you need to be online and you compete against other people to get the animals you want from the trade center.

Building is nice and everything but habitats have specific requirements. Even if you want to make it preattier animals won't let you. They are the ones that need to like it, not you. Also depending on donation is aids money making wise.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

There is definitely a pretty large management aspect to the game. I haven't gotten too much of a chance to play the game yet and haven't even dived into the diseases portion of it.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

timber Wolf habitat im working on in the tutorial panda zoo lol- when the inspiration comes you just have to work on it even if it doesnt really fit the theme

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

definitely falling victim to the 'spend too much time making a toilet, get frustrated with controls for everything else' disease... I wish you could lay out a park quickly like in JP:evo but then could fill it in with this spergy detailing poo poo.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

The management stuff is sounding promising, I think I'll still give it at least a few more days to see if the shine starts wearing off fast on some of you guinea pigs. :v:

Ventus
Oct 6, 2015
I have a tortoise in my trading center. Why is no one taking it to its goddamn habitat? I have a keeper, caretaker, and vet, and yet no one is doing their job. I've already asked for it to be moved multiple times, yet none of my staff really seems to care.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
What does it say for the tortoise's location (in the trading center screen)?

MikeStmria
Aug 13, 2019

"So it begins.."

Ventus posted:

I have a tortoise in my trading center. Why is no one taking it to its goddamn habitat? I have a keeper, caretaker, and vet, and yet no one is doing their job. I've already asked for it to be moved multiple times, yet none of my staff really seems to care.

If you have work zones, make sure your staff is assigned to both, the habitat and the trade center. If not they will jsut ignore it.

vanisher
Jul 12, 2005

Fun Shoe

Ventus posted:

I've had issues with some animals not getting fed because the keeper is buried in tasks (cleaning or filling up food enrichment on a huge habitat, etc). Low trained staff might also spend more time idling.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Wow I like that the franchise server is hosed right now so I can't even play my zoo.

I read a tooltop that says you can greet visitors for leafs, but when I see the visitor, there's a wave hand icon but I can't interact. What gives?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Click the ... um, entire strip with their name and the hand icon on it (the white part), not the icon itself. A window should pop up in the upper right of your screen.

Greet for leaves only works in franchise mode, and there’s a limit (I think it’s 5 times per day).

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I am seemingly too dumb to figure out the interface in this game. I was doing the tutorial mission with the bonobos, and it wanted me to modify the enclosure walls to be climb proof. I selected all of the walls, clicked the option to climb proof it on both sides, and nothing seemed to happen.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Filthy Monkey posted:

I am seemingly too dumb to figure out the interface in this game. I was doing the tutorial mission with the bonobos, and it wanted me to modify the enclosure walls to be climb proof. I selected all of the walls, clicked the option to climb proof it on both sides, and nothing seemed to happen.

You’re not the only one too dumb for the tutorial. I had the same problem a couple times. The best advice I can offer is to simply try everything. Eventually, you’ll find the specific spot the game wants you to click.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
In that particular case, you only had to select the one section you rebuilt — the rest of them already had the anti-climb strip at the top.

MikeStmria
Aug 13, 2019

"So it begins.."
I just came here to say that if you want to shoot yourself on the balls, build lots of exhibits habitats. Play on slow, one male ad female, and watch yours creen getting flood with welfare issues and your wallet and leaf bucks go up lik enever before

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

MikeStmria posted:

I just came here to say that if you want to shoot yourself on the balls, build lots of exhibits habitats. Play on slow, one male ad female, and watch yours creen getting flood with welfare issues and your wallet and leaf bucks go up lik enever before

I thought you couldn't get rid of Exhibit animals for leaf bucks?

So I am having a problem with my peafowl, their exhibit is dirty, 49%, I have plenty of keepers (two assigned, with green workloads). What is dirty and why? The water is covered by a cleaner.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Lurgy posted:

Put a few hours into this, build three habitats and one frog box and I'm already feeling like I'm juggling too much with breakouts, offspring filling up the habitat and all the going-ons. How is this supposed to work when you have dozens of habitats and hundreds of animals? Is there some kind of automated selling off the excess I haven't researched or discovered yet or do you just put all your animals on contraceptives and let em boink when most of them have died of old age?

You put animals on contraceptives. My aldabra tortoise group (1 male, 3 female) popped out 14 kids, all of which won't mature for 25 years. So I put the male on the pill and that solved it.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Elendil004 posted:

You can’t in Franchise mode, but you can in Challenge mode.

quote:

So I am having a problem with my peafowl, their exhibit is dirty, 49%, I have plenty of keepers (two assigned, with green workloads). What is dirty and why? The water is covered by a cleaner.
If the water is blue on the heat map, then I would explicitly call for a keeper. If you have (or once you have), click the “locate keeper” icon and track him with the camera to see what’s up.

Keeper management kind of sucks, unless the idea is to go full micromanager and tell one to only clean, one to feed, etc. I really wish there was a priority system like in, say, Oxygen Not Included. Or at the very least an emergency button for “I don’t care how busy you are, if you’re alive get your rear end over here”.

MikeStmria
Aug 13, 2019

"So it begins.."

Elendil004 posted:

I haven't played franchise too much since its laggy for the most time for me, poo poo connection issues.

I have read that poop tends to roll to the bottom of the water, so you need to box the animals, remove the water (right click on water with water tool selected) Then call keeper, let him clean, put water back and it will be ok.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Any keeper I call just vacuums up anything new and leaves. I'll see if there's poo poo in the water but what the gently caress is the purification place supposed to do then.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I’ve also read the same or a similar bug happens with hard shelters with wooden floors. Poop can get under the floor and the keepers apparently can’t reach it. They say they’re aware of it and working on it.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I’ve also read the same or a similar bug happens with hard shelters with wooden floors. Poop can get under the floor and the keepers apparently can’t reach it. They say they’re aware of it and working on it.

That would make more sense, but that's a lovely bug.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Elendil004 posted:

a lovely bug.

:v:

Bugs aside you people need to start complaining about the game sucking so I don’t have to buy it...

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

The only thing that sucks about it is the sick insane creations people make and my pathetic attempts at keeping aardvarks happy with a garbage exhibit.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Bugs aside you people need to start complaining about the game sucking so I don’t have to buy it...
I’ll give it a shot. I may just suck and so these may be due to my ignorance.

When designing a habitat, you pretty much have to lay down all of your paths first. Trying to lay paths between/along existing items is often frustrating and/or impossible.

When designing a habitat, it’s difficult to find out what your target animal needs in the habitat without buying and placing the animal in it first.

From everything I’ve seen and played with, people are misunderstanding “you need to hide your service buildings from visitors' sight”, and the only thing that matters is that visitors don’t go inside a certain radius of the service buildings. Putting them behind trees, plants, walls etc., while cool, seems to have no effect on the annoyance area, or strength of the annoyance. Which is fine, but kind of shallower than it could be.

Pretty much every scenario/zoo I’ve played ends up with a point where things just go completely destructively chaotic for little apparent reason, and with little warning, and it’s often tough to recover. I’d be willing to bet that may be on me, though.

The education board on legs object is ALWAYS facing the wrong direction when you choose it.

Too many trees seem to be either man-sized or 150 feet tall (and nearly as wide).

The prebuilt hard shelters seem pretty useless. They seem to only give a small fraction of the shelter that a hand built shelter of the same size does. Haven’t figured this one out yet.

Too much of the information you “need” is hidden in the Zoopedia and takes way too many clicks to get to, IMO.

Elephants are assholes.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Too much of the information you “need” is hidden in the Zoopedia and takes way too many clicks to get to, IMO.

Besides the button in the upper left theres a button on the animal window that takes you straight to their zoopedia entry

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

From everything I’ve seen and played with, people are misunderstanding “you need to hide your service buildings from visitors' sight”, and the only thing that matters is that visitors don’t go inside a certain radius of the service buildings. Putting them behind trees, plants, walls etc., while cool, seems to have no effect on the annoyance area, or strength of the annoyance. Which is fine, but kind of shallower than it could be.

That doesn't surprise me at all, given decorations in PlanCo simply radiated an aura of "decoration" in a specific radius and didn't give a poo poo about line of sight or anything like that. Leading to boring min-max people to bury stuff like this under their rides.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=806798383
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=806871921

MikeStmria
Aug 13, 2019

"So it begins.."

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I hope this gets changed since it is annoying, specially on the steam workshop Lemur premade habitat, its a nice looking building and anyways it triggers the guest because they "see" it and its a walk through habitat

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

MikeStmria posted:

I hope this gets changed since it is annoying, specially on the steam workshop Lemur premade habitat, its a nice looking building and anyways it triggers the guest because they "see" it and its a walk through habitat

Especially since real zoos have done a lot of neat stuff to hide their service buildings and tuck them away. Its never impossible to see but its kind of a nice touch, and I'm sad its not like that in the game (despite my best efforts).

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

Anyone else having trouble keeping their animals fed? My zoo consists of only two tortoises and they are always hungry because any time I call a keeper into the habitat, the keeper just stands there for a few seconds before walking away. I even hired a second keeper and assigned them both to the same work zone to see if that helps but so far nothing.

I have the same problem with mechanics. I call them over to something and they never show up. All they do is walk backwards through the park and then disappear into the staff room indefinitely.

MikeStmria
Aug 13, 2019

"So it begins.."

DamnitGannet posted:

Anyone else having trouble keeping their animals fed? My zoo consists of only two tortoises and they are always hungry because any time I call a keeper into the habitat, the keeper just stands there for a few seconds before walking away. I even hired a second keeper and assigned them both to the same work zone to see if that helps but so far nothing.

I have the same problem with mechanics. I call them over to something and they never show up. All they do is walk backwards through the park and then disappear into the staff room indefinitely.

Make sure that the stuff htey need to do is accesible for them. And that the food dish is the appropiate for your turtles. Also, I have noticed that turtles are completly stupid. game will send you notifications that they are hungry when they are walking accross half the habitat to eat.

E: I forgot the most importat thing, Make sure you have a keepr hut in the work zone. If you do, make sure it is as close as posible to the habitat entrance.

MikeStmria fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Nov 11, 2019

MikeStmria
Aug 13, 2019

"So it begins.."
I just want to share that consider if franchise of challange, when building something like a food court. Build big, they love buying poo poo more than in Planet Coaster.

Proof:

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Visitors: Complain that the ticket price went up a dollar.
Also visitors: Complain that four souvenir shops in a two-habitat zoo isn’t enough.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

So easily the worst part of franchise mode is clicking through 200 pages of animals to get to the one you actually want... unless im dumb and totally missing a search function.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Infidelicious posted:

So easily the worst part of franchise mode is clicking through 200 pages of animals to get to the one you actually want... unless im dumb and totally missing a search function.

click the funnel

MikeStmria
Aug 13, 2019

"So it begins.."

Infidelicious posted:

Comfirmed. Both things.

vanisher
Jul 12, 2005

Fun Shoe
Good god red pandas need a ton of climbable stuff in their habitat.

They have also escaped every configuration of walls and trees I've made so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

The game absolutely needs more control and feedback. Why did the keeper not do anything. What exactly is making this habitat dirty. etc. I am hoping for some mod support.

I would pay DLC money for a "sell the an animal anytime the social group hits 101%"