Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

vanisher posted:

Good god red pandas need a ton of climbable stuff in their habitat.

They have also escaped every configuration of walls and trees I've made so far.

If you use the traversable area overlay you should be able to see potential escape points

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeStmria
Aug 13, 2019

"So it begins.."

vanisher posted:

Good god red pandas need a ton of climbable stuff in their habitat.

They have also escaped every configuration of walls and trees I've made so far.

Put trees far from walls, mae sure the walls are not climbable or any climbable stuff is far from the walls. surrand the habitats with rocks that are not climbable.

Also on the keeper thing. He first takes a look then goes makes the food, then comes back and pours it. You need to habe a gently caress ton of keepers I think at least 3 or per habitat, also size matters.

What I would like to see changed is that you can set how much food the habitat should have, since currently that is decided by the stupid keepers

vanisher
Jul 12, 2005

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the tips on the non escapable habitats friends

MikeStmria
Aug 13, 2019

"So it begins.."
Hope it helps. Consider that most of the monkeys or animals that climb can jump to, there is an overlay that can tell you a risk and what time of animal leaving the habitat, its the second from left to right I think.

Sorry for my terrible spelling. I think the pewfouls are getting the worst out of me with how much sex they can have in a year.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Game is real pretty

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Well I probably should have asked BEFORE I got the game, but, I love park games, business sims and zoos, so... yeah. And wow, I have to say I very rarely care about the graphics in a game at all but I am VERY impressed at the animal models and their animations, these are really good.

Oh yeah, my question.

I recall hearing people complain that animals died too quickly from old age. Was that ever changed or patched or is it something I can tweak/mod on my own?

Huckert
Aug 1, 2007

For the love of the game
I dunno about bugs, my complaint in that regard is that the pacing of the game seems very off, as animals will grow old and die and force you to juggle offspring to replace them, trades and contraceptives for every habitat and exhibition just to keep your animal population within the parameters that they're happy with.

I think I would like to just set the game speed a lot slower so I can build new stuff while seeing animals and people milling about in the background without feeling that something is always on fire somewhere.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

I have another question. I finished the first tutorial and then played franchise mode for a few hours. Making money was not an issue, I have a financially sustainable park. My question is, what is the appeal of franchise mode?

I feel like I may be missing something. The only way to get new animals is to filter for cash and then spend my precious real life gaming time smashing refresh over and over and over in the market in the hopes that I can grab something cheap which will certainly have horrible genetics. Am I missing something?

Diogines fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Nov 18, 2019

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
You can buy animals for conservation points, too.

The appeal of Franchise over Sandbox should be obvious, but the idea of Franchise over Challenge, I don’t know. Maybe they had more planned for the online part, or maybe having multiple zoos in one “world” has some appeal/advantage that I haven’t found yet.

E: in true gooby fashion after playing this a bit last week, last week we were at Epcot and I found myself looking at the spacing and placement of benches and trash cans.

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Nov 18, 2019

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

How am I ever supposed to get enough conservation points? Should I expect to farm for 4 to 5 real life hours selling my deer and iguanas on the market/releasing them for twenty points at a time until I get the hundreds needed for a breeding pair of a single species I want?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Probably. It seems pretty slow. On the other hand, I can see the reasoning behind Joe Blow opening a zoo and he can’t just go on Amazon (heh) and buy a couple orangutans. Maybe not fun reasoning, but it makes sense. Could be that’s another way they’re differentiating Franchise and Challenge mode.

I think you get some points every time you finish research.
You can handshake VIP guests for 20 points, but that’s capped per day (5 guests?)
You get 100 points per day for logging in.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/11/18/planet-zoo-is-temporarily-a-game-about-mass-producing-knackered-warthogs/

quote:

those who had got in early on endangered, prestige or hard-to-breed animals are now hoarding them, only selling them for wild sums. Prices have soared, making gorillas, tigers and the rest completely inaccessible to new players, while Pandas have become virtually mythical: beasts that might as well be made from pure diamond.

quote:

Oh, and to make matters even more splendid, the animals people are selling on are the ones with genetic mutations that make them undesirable for further breeding – they might be highly susceptible to disease, tiny, incredibly short-lived, or even completely infertile. These sell for the lowest prices as well, naturally. Starting off as a new player, then, with your tiny pool of CC, you’re going to be spending a lot of time scrolling through pages and pages of dying mutants, desperately seeking something that won’t horrify your guests, and might have a chance of breeding.

quote:

any attempt to simulate an economy risks also simulating economics, which is what we call it when millions of individual, rational decisions act together to create utter madness on a grand scale. Now, unfortunately, economics has happened to Planet Zoo.

Video games once again helping prove that Capitalism is horrible.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Yeeeeaaah just saw your post after reading some threads saying something similar on the forums. How they could not have seen this coming... I mean I imagined they could not have gone that route and I misunderstood it because this is such an obviously terrible idea?

Too late to refund now, gently caress...

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

I think you can play in some kinda offline mode and avoid the “real” market? You’ll be at the mercy of RNG though. I’m not entirely sure as I haven’t picked the game up (I was considering it then Parkitect announced a DLC expansion coming out in a few days).

Huckert
Aug 1, 2007

For the love of the game

One could argue that it's another layer of realism of how it is to run a zoo. Rare animals are rare loving expensive.

It'll be fun to see how their expansions/DLC packs will work out though, if they add more rare and shiny animals for people to hoard.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Just be glad you don't have to swear allegiance to China to lease-not-own a single panda.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Kuiperdolin posted:

Just be glad you don't have to swear allegiance to China to lease-not-own a single panda.
I was thinking about that when I saw pandas are in the game.

Unrelated, some random video said visitors like viewing animals are different a goes such as in walkways over and through windows. Is that true?

Diogines fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Nov 19, 2019

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I think you can play in some kinda offline mode and avoid the “real” market? You’ll be at the mercy of RNG though. I’m not entirely sure as I haven’t picked the game up (I was considering it then Parkitect announced a DLC expansion coming out in a few days).

Yeah, there's plenty outside of the online Franchise mode. I only tried it for half an hour or so, but have dozens of other zoos. I hate online everything though because I hate humans. That's why I like letting my tigers and bears chase them around.

MikeStmria
Aug 13, 2019

"So it begins.."
I think franchise mode is more about creating stupidly incredible zoos so you can showcase to the world. You don't need to spend hours and hours to get CC. Just breed something like peofowls or ostriches or warthogs. They love tho make babies. realease to the wild and start swimming. Once you get nice things like bears or wolves. Repeat untill you have a bazillion of CC. Red Pandas also work!

Personally I prefer Challange because I hate spamming refresh or the lag to buy an animal that I want and for some reason end up losing it.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
If you need CC when you start on franchise, just refresh the Giant Panda page for a few minutes and buy the young ones with half decent fertility that get posted at the default trade price, and immediately repost them for 1500-4000. They will sell. Use those profits to buy some gold starters of any animal breed in the game, and you'll never worry about CC again when you start selling those gold/albino babies. I used this method to buy three nearly perfect West African Lions, and now I've got 30 in storage.

This game is terribly addictive. They combined Jurassic Park Evolution with loving LEGOS.

MikeStmria
Aug 13, 2019

"So it begins.."
Do you guys too spend most of your game time paused because you are building or stuff like that, or I am the one being a coplete idiot with that?

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Oven Wrangler
I usually only pause for animal management (population imbalances/alpha fights that I want to double check the results of) or when I'm doing something that will definitely impact customer happiness. I usually build things with the game in fast forward. While I'm busy building my animals are all making GBS threads out golden eggs.

Unless I'm loving with pathing or something that can really do some harm to the park, pausing just reduces my CC income.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I generally keep it running until there’s popups that require attention. In other words it’s paused a lot.

MikeStmria
Aug 13, 2019

"So it begins.."
Probably one of my issues is habing too many animals in the same habitat. Also, do you guys too have issues with janitors not celaning and mechancis nto reparing vandalized poo poo ?

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
It's fun to dig to the center of the Earth or way up in the sky and keep all your animals there. People seem to be fine with winding around paths for 23 minutes to get there.

Dreadwind
Dec 1, 2009

Quick question: do alpha fights ever stop? Like, shouldn't one win and establish the hierarchy at least for a while?

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Dreadwind posted:

Quick question: do alpha fights ever stop? Like, shouldn't one win and establish the hierarchy at least for a while?

They'll stop if you remove all the other potential alphas, but otherwise I don't believe the truces last long.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

It also depends on the species. If they can tolerate multiple individuals of the same gender (chimpanzee, hyenas etc.) they'll alpha fight periodically and usually without major injuries (the game still warns you as if it were a big deal which is annoying). If they only tolerate a single male (lions, gemsbok, tons of others) they will usually keep fighting till one of them dies

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Oven Wrangler

MikeStmria posted:

Probably one of my issues is habing too many animals in the same habitat. Also, do you guys too have issues with janitors not celaning and mechancis nto reparing vandalized poo poo ?

Too many animals seems to be the path to bankruptcy. I can have 5 lions and their babies and make money hand-over-fist. I can have 9+ lions and their babies and the cost of food will bankrupt me within a few years no matter how successful I feel my park is. I still sometimes throw 20+ lions into a pen, let them have babies, then pull out everything but the babies. Keep the best females, trade the great or just good babies/males, quick trade the okay babies and the rest of the males for cash to dig myself out of the hole. Buy a new male and rinse/repeat with the best female babies.

That said, I think I'm giving up franchise mode and trying out challenge instead. I'll just pop in there to do community challenges every now and again.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MikeStmria
Aug 13, 2019

"So it begins.."

Chocobo posted:

Too many animals seems to be the path to bankruptcy. I can have 5 lions and their babies and make money hand-over-fist. I can have 9+ lions and their babies and the cost of food will bankrupt me within a few years no matter how successful I feel my park is. I still sometimes throw 20+ lions into a pen, let them have babies, then pull out everything but the babies. Keep the best females, trade the great or just good babies/males, quick trade the okay babies and the rest of the males for cash to dig myself out of the hole. Buy a new male and rinse/repeat with the best female babies.

That said, I think I'm giving up franchise mode and trying out challenge instead. I'll just pop in there to do community challenges every now and again.

I meant, different animals, same habitats. I tend to have only a male and female at all times of each species, and just let them reproduce as they please.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Oven Wrangler
Oh, well the co-habitation seems to only be beneficial. I dig the big African grasslands habitat with 5 or more species at the same time and haven't run into any problems there aside from it being a pain in the rear end to manage so many populations in one habitat. I just can't figure out how anyone is supposed to maintain a profitable park without tedious micromanagement of quick trading half the babies for cash.

The one feature this game REALLY needs is automated population management (caretakers automatically box up and store all new animals of a designated gender aside from the one designated alpha, caretakers automatically box up all offspring of X gender, caretakers automatically box up all new adults once you reach a certain number in a habitat). That'd cover most of the bases the whole Animal Trading interface is pretty laggy and unresponsive (I have awful internet) so having to deal with it constantly is the worst part of the game.

Chocobo fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Nov 20, 2019

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Chocobo posted:

Oh, well the co-habitation seems to only be beneficial. I dig the big African grasslands habitat with 5 or more species at the same time and haven't run into any problems there aside from it being a pain in the rear end to manage so many populations in one habitat. I just can't figure out how anyone is supposed to maintain a profitable park without tedious micromanagement of quick trading half the babies for cash.

I'm raking in loads of cash with no quick trading, sitting at 7 mil currently. Dunno if there's any secret to it other than lots of appealing animals and lots of shops (especially drinks) and donation bins.

Lions are tricky because their food is so expensive. I only keep a male and two females, and usually try to only have a single litter of cubs at a time. Lost 700k in two years when I let them breed freely.

E: and the animal trading screen does suck rear end and they need to do something about it

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Animals stored in the trading hut don't age. What qualifies as incest? If you raise 3 non-incest generations of animals, could you cycle one generation of males in and out of storage(grand children)?

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Well to be fair, some of the species don't exactly breed that much... Like Pandas and Gorillas you get 1 offspring per mating event and you'd probably be lucky to get 4 or 5 offspring out of the lifetime of the animals... Can't exactly flood the market with cheap animals and keep the habitat going.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Oven Wrangler

Diogines posted:

Animals stored in the trading hut don't age. What qualifies as incest? If you raise 3 non-incest generations of animals, could you cycle one generation of males in and out of storage(grand children)?
If they're descended from the same stock it's still incest. That's the great thing about breeding lions or other alpha animals, just bring in a new male after he dies and you've got a fresh start.

Chocobo fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Nov 21, 2019

elvie
Jan 17, 2009
The UI in this really needs a bit of tweaking. Yet another am I missing something question: With exhibits, when they have a lot of offspring is there an easy way of seeing who has what type of genetics? Apposed to clicking each one then clicking the genetics tab.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Diogines posted:

Yeeeeaaah just saw your post after reading some threads saying something similar on the forums. How they could not have seen this coming... I mean I imagined they could not have gone that route and I misunderstood it because this is such an obviously terrible idea?

Too late to refund now, gently caress...

Sucks mate, but I think it still is a good purchase...eventually. They'll keep adding in some kind of puncture repair kits until its manageable, and that really good write-up in RPS - a pro click - means they won't have the nerve to try and SELL players the solution at least, which is what I was a little suspicious they'd do. They could not, NOT have seen this happening. This kind of scenario potential was literally my second question about this game on page one, just from watching beta streamers fumbling on the market. Its what fascinated but kept me arms length from the game.

Does give me an excuse to say again:

wit posted:

:words: Its like The Wolf of Wall Street, but with actual wolves.

I'll pick this up when they get their poo poo sorted, even if its some kind of pandastamps for low earning zoos stimulus. I really want to dive into this game and I do have hopes.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I’m not even sure what the reason to play Franchise mode is. Multiple zoos with one “bank”?

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

its just higher stakes to play by for people that arent cowardly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

Honestly I have not had an issue with the market. I picked it up because the whole capitalist animal hellscape sounded like totally my poo poo but it's actually balanced really well where you have to start with less endangered animals to build up to getting the real cool poo poo. I started franchise with some snails, frogs and gilas and those frogs and snail breed like crazy so cash was a non-issue. Then I bought a couple of wolves for cash and sold their offspring for like 100-200 leaf points each. Then bought a couple grizzly bears, bison, and proghorns did the same poo poo. I built up about 2000 leaf points and just spent them all on some bonobos so we'll see how that goes. The market for them was pretty empty when I checked so I think that'll turn out good. Bout to corner the bonobo market nerds. Look at for Atlantica Zoo for some fresh rear end bonobos.

I'm convinced that people bitching are bad at games and/or communists.