Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Roblo posted:

Don't get me wrong I love a decent ratio as much as the next person. But nearly just as many people liked that ridiculously stupid comment as commented on it. And given some comments were positive, that's hardly like the internet has come together to mock her is it?

no you don't understand the numbers under a tweet are really important because

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

AhhYes posted:

Isn't there a meeting scheduled for this afternoon? I can't imagine she'd say anything before that.

4PM today

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Boris Galerkin posted:

Something that you, and most people, can do right now is to stop eating meat. That alone is probably the biggest most impactful thing any of us without money or power can do.

Stopping is maybe asking too much though for most people, so the next best thing is to eat less meat.

I don't know why I feel compelled to write this down but it's this or E/N.

The chud I know manages every day to come up with some new crazy thing that I have just no response for because I don't even know how to approach it. Most recently it was about various endangered species, where he went off on a tirade about how he's totally on board with certain species going extinct because gently caress 'em, but other species (the ones he personally likes), well, anyone hunting lions or other big cats should be drawn and quartered. It's ridiculously personal, all about what HE likes, and the world can either get on board with his tastes or gently caress off.

Baby seals, to him, are in the news as an environmental concern because of global warming (not, you know, the fur trade). And because climate change isn't real, gently caress baby seals. And spotted owls, well, they're apparently in danger because of overhunting. Like, people hunting spotted owls.

I don't even know how to start correcting this stuff, even the "your view of environmentalism appears to be from ~1989" angle, because that would be me putting on airs and wanting to be the smartest person in the room with my dumb trivia that I have memorized for some reason.

My favorite thing though is his belief (apparently totally earnest, like he says it like it's a joke and knows it's a joke, but keeps coming back to it more and more seriously every time) that vegetarians/vegans are people who don't eat meat because they've never eaten meat, because they think it's "gross" or are afraid of it. He considers them people he needs to "convert". And every time he gets on this subject it turns into the equivalent of one of Trump's "sir" stories about how he or someone he knew made a campfire steak or a chicken chili or some kind of meat-based dish that was so delicious that it finally coaxed a vegetarian in the group to timidly give it a try, and they were like OMG THIS IS SO GOOD, MY LIFE IS A LIE and now they are the biggest meat eater in the world, haha owned lib.

It's all so performative and yet presented at a level of earnestness that he really honestly seems to think I'm going to take it as fact, to the point where I think he must literally believe it himself. This is someone who is hyper-competent and who goes through life at a level of five-nines duty-cycle and zero tolerance of the slightest imprecision or operational error. And even so, it's like I'm watching his attachment to reality dissolving in front of me, the more he thinks he needs to project this "image" that he thinks I will benefit from or aspire to.

Ugh

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

WRT climate change, consumer choice action is a bad joke. A single fracking site emits more greenhouse gas in an afternoon than you could save in a year.

Either the apparatus of the state is on the side of the genociders or it isn't.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

AhhYes posted:

Isn't there a meeting scheduled for this afternoon? I can't imagine she'd say anything before that.

Yeah at 4. I get it and I shouldn’t trust Maggie but lol.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Does somebody have a link to the picture of Dan Lipinski from the USPOL Summer thread? You know, the one where he looks like the loving ghoul that he is inside?

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Sep 24, 2019

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Oh okay it wasn't like I had to get anything done all day.

Goddamnit :f5:

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I am hoping I am wrong but Jesus pelosi. This is one those moments you west wing assholes wait for and you still may piss it away.

You can bet your sweet rear end she is going to piss it away. Trump will win a third term before Pelosi moves for impeachment.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/repdelgado/status/1176473697961594880

Yeah it's happening.

Trump won his district btw

Nonsense fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Sep 24, 2019

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

DandyLion posted:

You can bet your sweet rear end she is going to piss it away. Trump will win a third term before Pelosi moves for impeachment.

Read the room, my dude/dudette.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Every morning, if you wake up and earnestly think about how much better off the universe would be if a bus drove over that man, you may find that the universe one day listens.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
https://twitter.com/girlsreallyrule/status/1176457882096852993

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Yeah at 4. I get it and I shouldn’t trust Maggie but lol.

The outcome of the 4:00 meeting will be some strongly worded letter and I will smash my face into a brick wall yet again.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

The one the establishment Dems would consider impeachment over, stopping their coronation of Biden as the candidate.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

To be fair her kids are gonna inherit a shitload of money so the world doesn't matter.

In 2019 the best thing you can do for your kids is grift them rich. The second best thing is probably drowning them in a sack.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
So as I understand it there's a few ways this could all play out, there's a pretty big difference between a quick impeachment vote along party lines that never makes it to the Senate floor, and months and months of investigations and public hearings of every lovely and corrupt thing this administration has ever done.

If they don't put the screws in then this will all be forgotten in a week.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Here's another one for the pile. I imagine offices that haven't released a statement yet are scrambling to do so.

I wonder if Pelosi's office is issuing form letters?

Again though yall, be ready for the actual announcement to be delayed until Friday. Schiff was pretty clear he was giving the IGIC/DNI until Thursday to release the whistleblower docs before he threw out subpoenas.

https://twitter.com/RepColinAllred/status/1176486196421283840

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Does somebody have a link to the picture of Dan Lipinski from the USPOL Summer thread? You know, the one where he looks like the loving ghoul that he is inside?

a) that's all of them b) https://images.app.goo.gl/aNmVbcJzzTqXTMj16

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Edmund Lava posted:

The one the establishment Dems would consider impeachment over, stopping their coronation of Biden as the candidate.

Biden is the least important part of the whole thing. It's the "openly doing the exact loving thing the Mueller report supposedly cleared him of" that they're not happy about.

skylined! posted:

Again though yall, be ready for the actual announcement to be delayed until Friday. Schiff was pretty clear he was giving the IGIC/DNI until Thursday to release the whistleblower docs before he threw out subpoenas.
It doesn't feel like they're using this as a threat to get something, though. It feels like they're going to do it regardless of what the DNI does

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

skylined! posted:

Here's another one for the pile. I imagine offices that haven't released a statement yet are scrambling to do so.

I wonder if Pelosi's office is issuing form letters?

it makes sense that these people don't want to be perceived as having only voted for this when Pelosi leaned on them after everyone's agreed to have a vote.

instead, they want to pretend this is the final straw and they arrived at the decision totally independently

and yeah, it's going to be contingent upon further obstruction at the thursday hearing, but I think we can reasonably count on that to happen

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Oh my God

https://mobile.twitter.com/atrupar/status/1176492899552452609

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

Rent-A-Cop posted:

To be fair her kids are gonna inherit a shitload of money so the world doesn't matter.

In 2019 the best thing you can do for your kids is grift them rich. The second best thing is probably drowning them in a sack.

Until money becomes worthless then hope they bought an underground bunker or a gulch or something to start their libertarian utopia.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Trump has to return and get poo poo straight with the acting DNI, before he can appear before Congress.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

https://twitter.com/Jordanfabian/status/1176496995818725376?s=19

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

So as I understand it there's a few ways this could all play out, there's a pretty big difference between a quick impeachment vote along party lines that never makes it to the Senate floor, and months and months of investigations and public hearings of every lovely and corrupt thing this administration has ever done.

If they don't put the screws in then this will all be forgotten in a week.

I mentioned this in the other thread before it closed, but I have no faith in house dems to do anything with this.

When the Republican impeached Clinton and during the entire Lewinski nonsense, they knew they had nothing and they knew exactly what they were there to do; it was all about slandering him and slowing down the process, and throughout all that they effected his presidency.

Judge :kav: 's entire job, for example, during the Starr investigation was to leak to the press and come up with salacious questions to ask the President. They were just there to humiliate him and gum up the works.

And yeah, they lost 5 seats in the house in 98, but the senate was unchanged and they also had a higher voter turnout, and they needed every single vote two years later. There's a lot to be said for dragging people through the mud, and unlike Clinton in the 90s, there's actually poo poo there with Trump.

But pelosi will probably just hold a couple hearings where witness like Lewandowski stonewall her, then she'll send a letter signed by all the commission chairs to the DOJ or something politely requesting (nay, demanding!) that Barr file the appropriate motion to begin a separate process at which point he'll laugh and Pelosi will become "very concerned."

I know this is "nothing matters" and I'm very interested to see how this goes but I've just completely lost faith in the leadership.

Or they could throw a curveball and just say "take it away, AOC."

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
Yeah right now the only thing keeping Pelosi from impeaching is whether she will be able to corral 218 votes. Ideally she would get all 235 Democrats on board and some symbolic Republican defectors. I don’t know what her magic number is, but based on all of the statements being made by congress and Democrat presidential candidates, they are signaling pretty hard.

I would bet money that we are in the secret ballot phase and we are seeing everyone trying to persuade the last holdouts by openly signaling for impeachment. Pelosi is trying to be the last one on the ship, as another poster put it, which in fairness is the smart play. Once she is publicly on board then a vote is guaranteed, so you would expect a painful vote-counting process to take place behind the scenes first.

I do wish it started earlier, of course. Her overly cautious approach probably prevented us from enforcing earlier subpoenas.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

From just now

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

theflyingorc posted:

It doesn't feel like they're using this as a threat to get something, though. It feels like they're going to do it regardless of what the DNI does

Oh agreed; I think there's enough leaking already to move forward regardless. I also expect the DNI to offer a single transcript (if they offer anything) but not the entire whistleblower complaint; I assume the complaint itself along with context is way worse than whatever crumb they try to give.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's why people bringing up the senate voting to clear him is stupid - if they do it right impeachment will drag on until the election.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Slowpoke! posted:

Yeah right now the only thing keeping Pelosi from impeaching is whether she will be able to corral 218 votes. Ideally she would get all 235 Democrats on board and some symbolic Republican defectors. I don’t know what her magic number is, but based on all of the statements being made by congress and Democrat presidential candidates, they are signaling pretty hard.

I would bet money that we are in the secret ballot phase and we are seeing everyone trying to persuade the last holdouts by openly signaling for impeachment. Pelosi is trying to be the last one on the ship, as another poster put it, which in fairness is the smart play. Once she is publicly on board then a vote is guaranteed, so you would expect a painful vote-counting process to take place behind the scenes first.

I do wish it started earlier, of course. Her overly cautious approach probably prevented us from enforcing earlier subpoenas.

Reports are seeming to indicate that she does already have the votes. The speed at which another, like, 100 reps came on board is honestly shocking to me.

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's why people bringing up the senate voting to clear him is stupid - if they do it right impeachment will drag on until the election.
A lot of people seem to be laboring under the delusion that this is about removing him, which seriously isn't going to happen unless, like, they get actual video of him sexually assaulting someone.

theflyingorc fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Sep 24, 2019

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

He’s too far gone it’s not even worth it.

Arglebargle III posted:

WRT climate change, consumer choice action is a bad joke. A single fracking site emits more greenhouse gas in an afternoon than you could save in a year.

Either the apparatus of the state is on the side of the genociders or it isn't.

I hate this thought process because you’re technically right none of us have the power to make changes that Nestle could if they wanted but so what? So loving what?

Did you see the video of Greta being asked by some dipshit about how why we should do things like pick up trash in the ocean when other countries aren’t going to stop dumping it there? Greta’s response was that in Sweden they say the same thing, why should they, a small country, do much if anything when a bigger country like the US won’t join in.

So yeah, why bother doing things like eating less meat when Nestle and Fracker McFrackson and other big corporations are gonna keep polluting 🤦‍♂️

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

So much love here.

true_long_lasting_love.jpg

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Then why did he give them the money, plus an extra 100+ mil?

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Arglebargle III posted:

WRT climate change, consumer choice action is a bad joke.

Sometimes it's a bad joke.

Other times, they're bad faith cons that make people associate environmentalism with annoying governmental overreach and become reactively less supportive of environmental protection as a governmental agenda.

The straw ban is an example of something so ultimately counterproductive that it wouldn't surprise me if it turned out to have been a planted agenda used to benefit polluters and corporate interests.

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

He's trying to say that Joe Biden put pressure on Ukraine but his brain is so mushy he can't put the words together properly

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

FizFashizzle posted:

I mentioned this in the other thread before it closed, but I have no faith in house dems to do anything with this.

When the Republican impeached Clinton and during the entire Lewinski nonsense, they knew they had nothing and they knew exactly what they were there to do; it was all about slandering him and slowing down the process, and throughout all that they effected his presidency.

Judge :kav: 's entire job, for example, during the Starr investigation was to leak to the press and come up with salacious questions to ask the President. They were just there to humiliate him and gum up the works.

And yeah, they lost 5 seats in the house in 98, but the senate was unchanged and they also had a higher voter turnout, and they needed every single vote two years later. There's a lot to be said for dragging people through the mud, and unlike Clinton in the 90s, there's actually poo poo there with Trump.

But pelosi will probably just hold a couple hearings where witness like Lewandowski stonewall her, then she'll send a letter signed by all the commission chairs to the DOJ or something politely requesting (nay, demanding!) that Barr file the appropriate motion to begin a separate process at which point he'll laugh and Pelosi will become "very concerned."

I know this is "nothing matters" and I'm very interested to see how this goes but I've just completely lost faith in the leadership.

Or they could throw a curveball and just say "take it away, AOC."

WRT to Clinton's impeachment, it also isn't really mentioned much but despite the GOP only gaining 5 seats in 98 when the opposition party typically gains a lot more in year 6 of a Presidency, the Lewinski scandal and impeachment absolutely affected the 2000 election, where Gore ran as far away from Clinton as possible and even chose a lovely rear end Joe Lieberman as his running mate because he was one of the "moral Dems" that was calling out Clinton for his actions. With how close the 2000 election ended up being, we can't rule out that the GOP impeaching Clinton didn't help elect George W. Bush.

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice

The gently caress? I ... don't know what to say to that.

Also, is it correct that a formal impeachment inquiry grants additional authority to the investigators and so would change the current investigations? I thought I read that somewhere but can't find much on it.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

Also you want this to come up in the Senate.

You want every single republican to hang this around their neck for when the next horrific scandal comes out.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Melania looking like a gray alien

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
Am I to seriously believe that something mattered