Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Peacoffee posted:

I’m fairly sure in the right wing playbook she’s just out of the range of hitting and now in the range of being hit on, but they confuse sex and violence so much it just comes out as jumbled sick perversion.

These are the people who’ve helped ratchet up our rape and incest stats to where they are right now.

That doesn't make sense. They're infantilizing her. This isn't 4chan doing what they did with Hogg, the point is to call her a child.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Peacoffee posted:

I wouldn't trust them to know any boundary line between these things.

Oh word?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Peacoffee posted:

Do you have some kind of problem with me that compels you to keep clawing?

The context of what they're saying is exceedingly obvious, turning it into an accusation of pedophilia is dumb, words mean different things in different contexts

Openly supporting pedo poo poo is like the only thing that gets you tossed out of the right wing griftosphere, Senators aren't doing it jfc

TheDisreputableDog posted:

I mean, it does come off a little bit pandering to claim that physically threatening a child over their political beliefs is a bridge too far after agreeing that other kid had a "punchable face".

At the very least there was no, like, outcry from the left about that rhetoric back then.

Edit - obviously both are lovely and wrong
Can the Nazi shutup, please?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Edmund Lava posted:

The one the establishment Dems would consider impeachment over, stopping their coronation of Biden as the candidate.

Biden is the least important part of the whole thing. It's the "openly doing the exact loving thing the Mueller report supposedly cleared him of" that they're not happy about.

skylined! posted:

Again though yall, be ready for the actual announcement to be delayed until Friday. Schiff was pretty clear he was giving the IGIC/DNI until Thursday to release the whistleblower docs before he threw out subpoenas.
It doesn't feel like they're using this as a threat to get something, though. It feels like they're going to do it regardless of what the DNI does

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Slowpoke! posted:

Yeah right now the only thing keeping Pelosi from impeaching is whether she will be able to corral 218 votes. Ideally she would get all 235 Democrats on board and some symbolic Republican defectors. I don’t know what her magic number is, but based on all of the statements being made by congress and Democrat presidential candidates, they are signaling pretty hard.

I would bet money that we are in the secret ballot phase and we are seeing everyone trying to persuade the last holdouts by openly signaling for impeachment. Pelosi is trying to be the last one on the ship, as another poster put it, which in fairness is the smart play. Once she is publicly on board then a vote is guaranteed, so you would expect a painful vote-counting process to take place behind the scenes first.

I do wish it started earlier, of course. Her overly cautious approach probably prevented us from enforcing earlier subpoenas.

Reports are seeming to indicate that she does already have the votes. The speed at which another, like, 100 reps came on board is honestly shocking to me.

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's why people bringing up the senate voting to clear him is stupid - if they do it right impeachment will drag on until the election.
A lot of people seem to be laboring under the delusion that this is about removing him, which seriously isn't going to happen unless, like, they get actual video of him sexually assaulting someone.

theflyingorc fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Sep 24, 2019

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

FizFashizzle posted:

Also you want this to come up in the Senate.

You want every single republican to hang this around their neck for when the next horrific scandal comes out.

Pretty sure that's only a threat to Republicans in blue states - the ones in red states only grow stronger each time they cravenly defend Trump

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

FizFashizzle posted:

John Cornyn and Thom Tillis do not want to make that vote.

You're correct, I was just responding to the "each and every one" part of it, but nobody in purple or blue states wants to make the vote - Cory Gardner and Susan Collins are likely terrified of it.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc
Was this already known to be part of it?

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/02/...K9P8WYoiVogw3zU

quote:

Ukraine, Seeking U.S. Missiles, Halted Cooperation With Mueller Investigation

This seems like a second thing outside of the Biden part.

edit: ohhhh it's really old

theflyingorc fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Sep 24, 2019

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

mdemone posted:

Collins can rest easy because she's getting booted the next time she's up, anyway.

Even the most vulnerable Senator holds out hope that Roy Moore will suddenly declare candidacy in their state.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Slowpoke! posted:

This is as frustrating as it sounds. There is no good mechanism for investing a sitting president, as it turns out.
Well, there is, assuming that he doesn't have the backing of a party that won't break from him no matter what.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

ColdPie posted:

This is absolutely untrue. Transportation accounts for about 30% of US carbon emissions. More than half of that is from passenger cars and trucks, with the remainder coming from stuff like freight and airplanes. Agriculture is another 9%, with the bulk of that going to livestock (especially beef) and food for livestock. The industrial sector as a whole accounts for "only" 22% of total emissions, less than the energy sector's 28%.

Source: https://www.epa.gov/ghgemissions/sources-greenhouse-gas-emissions

While you're right that an individual is a small part, a societal change towards normalizing vegetarian diets and improving public transport options would make a real significant difference.

PLEASE, anyone who is interested in climate change topics, go read some primary sources. I strongly recommend the latest IPCC Summary Report for Policymakers. It's not a hard read and you will be so much more informed than reading forum posts or popular news articles.
By your own numbers, if we managed to knock Agriculture down to effectively 0...we're still at 90% of emissions. If we all start walking everywhere instead of using personal vehicles, we're at like...70%. Which is a big difference, but also does not solve the problem. The long term trick is making it so that modern society's needs come from sources that don't spew carbon.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

mcmagic posted:

I think the best argument for impeachment is to make them have to make that vote and in extension make every republican member of congress have to vote up or down on Trump before 2020 which really nationalizes the election. However I could also see McConnell just never bringing it up for a vote in the senate too.

I think what McConnell will PROBABLY do is slam the vote through in 20 minutes, dismissing it as partisan nonsense. He tries to not do things that draw attention to himself, and I think that not hearing impeachment will catch public attention much more than not hearing judges.

ColdPie posted:

Yes, we need to do everything. I'm not arguing against government action, I was at last Friday's protest. I'm arguing that the collective action of individuals does make a difference.
It really doesn't. If everyone, and I mean everyone, did most "reduce your footprint" things, we'd likely trim things down by...10, 12%? Which would do nothing but push things back a few years. And that's globally, not just the US. There's nothing wrong with lowering your footprint, but it will not change whether we deal with this or not.

theflyingorc fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Sep 24, 2019

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

mcmagic posted:

I think it's more likely that he just says "there aren't the votes to convict" and sits on it. Why make his members take the vote?
I'm not going to argue that I have special insight here, but my instinct is that not holding the impeachment vote will draw way, way more attention than it did when he did so for Garland, and the turtle always tries to keep his name out of the headlines.

But again, I don't have evidence to argue that you're wrong, it's definitely just what I suspect.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

The party that is telling us how Antisemitic the Democrats are is at the UN decrying "globalists"

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Boris Galerkin posted:

Yeah that’s true. But asking someone to stop eating beef is like asking someone to stop eating meat. The idea of such a massive change means most people won’t bother.

Eat less meat is an easier message to sell though.

You’re right. It’s pointless to do anything. Might as well not bother. 🤦‍♂️

I don’t know if you know this, but modern society is made up of people like you and me, and if enough people get together and do a Thing then society changes.

Shut up.
You seem to be doing an excellent job of missing the point.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Ripoff posted:

Are you just trying to make yourself feel better because you drive a huge truck 80 miles to work round trip and you burn coal to heat your house, or something?

"My solution to gun policy is personally not owning a gun"

Again, we can all do all of the things to"lower our footprint", and climate change will still happen at a barely detectably different rate. "At least I'm rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic" isn't an argument.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

That's 75% publicly. It gonna happen.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Ok, so let's say they actually go forward with impeachment.

How long would it take from the time they announce they're moving forward til the time he's actually, officially impeached?

What part are you talking about

Inquiry? By next week, probably.

Impeachment vote? Depends on the strategy. At least months.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

cr0y posted:

They could easily drag investigations right up to 2020 and beyond

Yup, depends on the strategy they want to follow. I have absolutely no idea which one is best

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

What would be the best play? Impeaching him fairly quickly and then hammering him on it through the primaries and the conventions? Voting to impeach a couple of weeks before the election? Or keep it going through 2020 and maybe even 2021 should he win?

I'm certain none of us know. The thread consensus will be whichever one Pelosi doesn't pick.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Soooo what would happen if Trump is impeached/voted out/etc, but refuses to leave? Military arrest?

He gets to stay president as long as one hand stays on base, the Constitution is very clear

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

ummel posted:

This is gonna sound trivial for the eco:matters: crowd in here today, but this happened to me. All I did was put a recycling bin just for used water bottles in my office and a couple people use it and I empty it weekly. One person said that the bin made her realize how many bottles per week she used (she brings in a 6 pack of Aquafina per day) so she switched to a Brita filter bottle. So that's 120 plastic bottles a month saved.

Of course this a drop in a bucket considering the single use plastic issues hospitals have, but hopefully it changes the worldview of someone, anyone, and that's a Good Thing.

You run into the Whole Foods problem here.

Studies have shown that (well, pre-Amazon purchase), people viewed Shopping At Whole Foods as "doing a good thing". THEREFORE, when later approached by a different moral decision, they were less likely to make a more moral choice, because they'd already done their good deed for the day.

Asking people to make small climate sacrifices makes them less likely to do the really important ones, not more.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

lmao what?

on what basis?

They source locally or whatever? I doubt people even know, they just know that they're being better than you because they bought at a Whole Foods or Earth Fare or whatever. People are stupid.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Inferior Third Season posted:

and over the course of the next few weeks, "irregularities" are found in the two or three swing states needed to give it to Trump,

By whom?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Inferior Third Season posted:

Republicans and the media.

They don't have enough control of Pennsylvania elections to pull that off

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Nail Rat posted:

This is over 70% of the caucus (even if there are a few independents/Rs in there, probably not the latter)! When the gently caress will Pelosi get a clue?

...this afternoon? Are you paying any attention at all

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

beejay posted:

Absolutely. We get some lovely president next who doesn't want to make any changes and won't pack the courts, and we're hosed even more than we are now.

Not necessarily, due to the Great Boomer Die-Off.

The Silent Generation is the ONLY generation that is majority Republican. In 10 years, they'll effectively no longer exist, and boomer numbers will also be dropping.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

This is the exact thing everyone is asking for???

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

skylined! posted:

The same fuckin reporter says as much.

The brokebrain is super strong today.

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1176552510296903681

"Pelosi does exact thing we've been telling her to do, like a coward!!!"

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

I think the concern is that the committee will take forever to decide to move forward and this move is simply buying more time to run out the clock.

This was always the next move, Jesus Christ

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

cr0y posted:

2/3rds in both chambers right? (I know the senate aint happening)

Nope. Majority in the house.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

VitalSigns posted:

Yeah I've noticed this too, we can't afford to replace Nancy Pelosi because she's a five-star political general with iron control over her caucus, unless that's inconvenient for the narrative in which case she's helpless flotsam swept this way and that by the untameable tides of the whims of her political coalition and can't be blamed for anything she does because she has no agency or leadership qualities whatsoever.

But we can't afford to lose those leadership qualities that she...definitely doesn't possess when we need her to not possess them.

Nobody is making that argument anymore

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

GreyjoyBastard posted:

oh so nadler wanted it? if he thinks he'd be good for it i think i'd rather have it in judiciary then, but we'll see what this committee looks like if it happens

Schiff is fine, as well. And putting Pressly sounds great.

I'm also a bit skeptical at all this being broken by Playboy's reporter

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Cerebral Bore posted:

Correct, because you can't do that anymore because it demands too much ignoring of reality even for the most dyed in the wool Dem fanboy. Still, given that you lot kept repeating it for years, what does that say about your political judgement?

I don't know, but badposting about your forum enemies hardly seems to be an improvement.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Paradoxish posted:

Yeah, it's pretty clear at this point that Republicans are going to turn this into Biden's email scandal. It's meaningless nonsense, but they aren't going to shut up about it for the next several months. It's going to be difficult for Democrats to make sure that the focus actually stays on Trump during an impeachment.

Which will be hilarious when Biden doesn't get the nomination and Warren or Sanders slaps him.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

do you not remember the bre'r rabbit take in this thread less than a week ago, about how pelosi's Wise Judgement was keeping the idiot leftist children from falling right into Trump's hands by impeaching him
Skex doesn't count, we all know that.

it may not have been him i don't remember

theflyingorc fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Sep 24, 2019

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Cerebral Bore posted:

I'm just wondering why I should take your word for things when you keep being wrong over and over and over. Sorry that you think pointing out your less than stellar record is badposting, but I personally find it somewhat relevant.

"I stopped having a wrong opinion after the evidence against it became overwhelming" isn't exactly a stellar line of defense, especially not when folks on the left called bullshit on the Iron Lady Pelosi narrative years before you wisened up.

The real dumb thing here is that what you two are doing is basically tantamount to arguing that being able to predict things in advance doesn't actually matter, which is a pretty stunning level of arrogance, gotta say.

Try a single post that improves the thread

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

TulliusCicero posted:

Wouldn't it be possible to make the case that the most corrupt President and (if it actually happens, first successfully impeached) should have their appointments tainted by association, and thus should be rendered null and void?

You can make a case, but Republicans will never give up their judges. Ever.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

I expect her to announce and implement it in the worst and slowest way possible

Doing it slowly night be the best strategy, hard to tell

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Ralepozozaxe posted:

We should also take note that this will be thought #1 on Trump's brain at all times. There will not be a single thing he thinks about more than him currently being impeached, and he will never shut up about it. He will be miserable and it will be great.

At the end of the day, this is a black mark on his tenure that Obama doesn't have. He'll never get over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc
I didn't realize this :. John Lewis didn't just put out a statement, he gave a speech on the house floor. This is happening.