Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

THERE he is, bout time Durbin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

GreyjoyBastard posted:

that's my impression and I think I'm pretty happy with it

besides, it's not like there aren't six committees worth of crimes crimes crimes

Yeah it’s gonna be all hands on deck for this series of investigations. I mean everything is now on the table if I’m not mistaken:
-All the poo poo they suppressed in the Mueller Report/didn’t allow them to pursue because it was beyond the scope
-Kavanagh accusations (conspiracy on the administration’s part to knowingly hide information, who paid off that ‘baseball ticket’ debt)
-Tax returns
-voter suppression
-EPA bullshit
-Puerto Rico electrical grid scandal where that podunk nobody company of two guys in Idaho got a few billion for nothing
-Everything with Jared Kushners fingerprints on it from how he got his security clearance to... everything he’s ever done since then
-Ivanka’s trademark bullshit with China

That’s just off the top of my head

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Herstory Begins Now posted:

As an aside, for those familiar with how Russian corruption works, eg the krysha/kompromat system, Ukraine operates on a similar system. In a system where rules #1,2, and 3 are all 'cover your own rear end at all times in all things' someone recorded giuliani doing crimes.

Even if they somehow didn't I guarantee you the Five Eyes have a copy each. England and Australia won't do jack poo poo as they're run by Boris and some other chud, my money's on France or even Russia to leak a tape of the convo to stir the hornet's nest.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

evilweasel posted:

the first rule is actually you don't send all of your talking points to the other side

Yes but like most things to do with the Trump presidency, it was an unwritten rule everyone just assumed everyone else knew to follow that they realized they’re going to have to spell it out in small words for the future.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

GreyjoyBastard posted:

this is not how i would have predicted the Mattering would happen but lol

They got Capone on income tax evasion, so...

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

CuddleCryptid posted:

The actual report is only a few pages long so I would encourage everyone to read it.

Summarizing:

- Trump asked for political favors from Ukraine on a call that featured several people. Call was first reported on by the Ukranian side as a "discussion about corruption"

- Once the admin realized how awful it was, they sent it to a server that is supposed to only hold the most classified of information, essentially burying it in paperwork. Supposedly there is an actual transcript of the conversation.

- Members of the admin have been repeatedly sent to advise the Ukranians how to "navigate" Trump's demands.

- Rudy Giuliani was a major player directly, Barr's connection was less established in the document.

There's more but if this can be shown to be credible enough to convince the public then we are about to have an interesting week.

You forgot the most important part:

quote:

"According to multiple White House officials I spoke with, the transcript of the President's call with President Zelenskyy was placed into a computer system managed directly by the National Security Council (NSC) Directorate for Intelligence Programs. This is a standalone computer system reserved for codeword-level intelligence information, such as covert action. According to information I received from White House officials, some officals voiced concerns internally that this would be an abuse of the system and was not consistent with the responsibilities of the Directorate for Intelligence Programs.
According to White House officials I spoke with, THIS WAS "NOT THE FIRST TIME" UNDER THIS ADMINISTRATION THAT A PRESIDENTIAL TRANSCRIPT WAS PLACED INTO THIS CODEWORD-LEVEL SYSTEM SOLELY FOR THE PURPOSE OF PROTECTING POLITICALLY SENSITIVE - RATHER THAN NATIONAL SECURITY SENSITIVE - INFORMATION."
There is so, so much more on that 'top secret server' and this complaint just gave the House carte blanche to subpoena all of it.

Oracle fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Sep 26, 2019

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Another significant note in the Classified Appendix:

quote:

"On 18 July, an Office of Management and Budget (OMB) official informed Departments and Agencies that the President "earlier that month" had issued instructions to suspend all U.S. security assistance to Ukraine. Neither OMB nor the NSC knew why this instruction had been issued. During interagency meetings on the 23 July and 26 July, OMB officials again stated explicitly that the instruction to suspend this assistance had come directly from the President, but they still were unaware of a policy rationale."

Oracle fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Sep 26, 2019

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

What is this 'fiction parody rar lies by the chairman' poo poo every Republican keeps trying to peddle? Where is this even coming from?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Schiffs opening statement gave a recounting of the memo in his own words.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GN4CJ8MYLTY

Ah, ok. Yeah listening to that he could've summed it up a bit closer to the actual words used, I mean it didn't really need dressing up.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Gunthen posted:

The guy is right tho, he did what his counsel told him to do. And he was legally obligated to do. The issue of executive privilege being used to shield a corrupt president doesn't fall on his shoulders.

But doesn't the president have to invoke executive privilege himself in order for it to apply? Why are all these people just assuming executive privilege and why does Congress let them get away with it? I remember the Keebler Elf's testimony and how he kept invoking it without the President saying anything about it, this isn't the first time.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Wooten posted:

Quigley is making a pretty awesome argument getting Maguire to say civilians without clearance shouldn't have access to classified information, and then asking sooo what about Rudy then?

Yeah this is good. Guiliani is going to have to have a health emergency pretty quick or he's going to be called in front of Congress and have to answer under oath. And Guiliani can't stop telling the self-incriminating dirt on TV much less under oath.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

eke out posted:

just want to flag this because holy poo poo

https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1128141760117510145

russian media knew this happened back in May, we only just confirmed it in the whistleblower complaint today (as you can see, Davis thought this was just bullshit at the time it first happened)

https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1177234658058285056

Uh, holy poo poo. Either the Russians have bugged White House communications, have a mole in the office, or Trump's keeping them updated on everything he does WRT Ukraine.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

I can't even bring myself to say 'even Trump wouldn't be that stupid' or 'his staff wouldn't let him.' But then I remember this part of the whistleblower complaint and welp

quote:

According to White House officials I spoke with, THIS WAS "NOT THE FIRST TIME" UNDER THIS ADMINISTRATION THAT A PRESIDENTIAL TRANSCRIPT WAS PLACED INTO THIS CODEWORD-LEVEL SYSTEM SOLELY FOR THE PURPOSE OF PROTECTING POLITICALLY SENSITIVE - RATHER THAN NATIONAL SECURITY SENSITIVE - INFORMATION."
What if those calls were his updates to Putin?

Wooten posted:

Russia definitely has assets throughout the Ukrainian government.
Oh well if you want to be BORING and PRACTICAL about it. (They also have probably bugged both Trump and Guiliani's iPhones).

Oracle fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Sep 26, 2019

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

That’s why he looked like such a broken man yesterday.

Yeah that guy is like a John Goodman movie come to life.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

eviltastic posted:

The thread's a firehose at the moment so I may have missed it, but I didn't see this mentioned.

https://twitter.com/ShimonPro/status/1177254941754310657
https://twitter.com/kpolantz/status/1177256680024920065

Goddamn that's a lot of weasel words to make sure this only goes to get buried in the DOJ. I take issue with their argument because I think placing it in a top secret lockbox for political purposes rather than national security purposes would fall under intelligence operations and thus make it under the ICIG's purview even under their own convoluted reasoning.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

lmao remember how some dems voted to confirm barr and several pundits talked about what a serious establishment figure he was.

I'm assuming those Dems no longer hold office?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

SousaphoneColossus posted:

it was Manchin, Sinema and Doug Jones

Ah, the Senate. NM.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

ryde posted:

It would be fantastic if they pulled at this and it led back to Russian meddling and obstruction with more direct evidence this time. This poo poo has absolutely happened with other countries, and showing a pattern of him doing it more than once would be fantastic.

Yeah this is my suspicion where it ends up. Also Saudi Arabia getting nukes in exchange for 'cash.'

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Its me, you guys. I'm the whistleblower. I'm LemonParty.

I prefer TubGirl.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

haveblue posted:

Instead of an 18 minute gap, there's going to be an extra 18 minutes when the room is trying to collectively figure out if they succeeding in making it stop recording.

Oh my god it will be. Its going to be grandpa leaving a voicemail all over again.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

SKULL.GIF posted:

Absolutely not. We let W get off scot-free. I want my loving scalp.

If there's to be any hope for this planet for this century, we must have severe consequences for everyone who got us to where we are.

loving THIS. Root and branch, root them all out root and branch or they will keep popping up like bad pennies. See: loving everyone in Nixon's administration, they all popped up for Iran-Contra and again for W's shitshow.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Flesh Forge posted:

when he says that sort of thing he's literally asking his followers to do it, hth.

On the plus side if his followers start shooting Republicans maybe we'll finally get gun control.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

tek79 posted:

That's one of the great things about this whole thing. There's nothing really convoluted about it. Trump attempted to bribe a foreign nation with millions of taxpayer dollars to help him win an election by going directly after his top rival. It's about as a direct assault on the central foundation of our democracy as you could possibly get. If this all checks out (likely) it might be regarded as the most corrupt action taken by an sitting U.S. President, ever.

It wasn't bribery it was extortion. He WITHHELD millions of taxpayer dollars that the people's representatives had already earmarked for the defense of a critical ally against the Russian Federation unless said ally manufactured dirt/the appearance of corruption on his political opponent.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Blurred posted:

This is really among the most damning facts of this whole scandal (the fact that they moved not just the Zelinskyy phone calls to this ultra-secure server, but phone calls with other heads of state as well) and this is really something that needs to be pressed further. I was wondering whether such data would be accessible and by whom, or whether it can just be buried forever as something so top-secret that no-one will ever get the clearance to view it, much less release it to the public. From reading that article, it seems like even NSC officials have no idea about this. If it turns out there's no practical way to get at what's on the server, then the over-classification of these transcripts has to be viewed as a criminal conspiracy in itself - i.e. deliberately hiding information that might be damaging to the nation - and ought to be publicly presented that way.

I think you're reading too much into it. Trump was PISSED his private convos with Australia and Mexico were leaked (because it showed him lying about what was talked about and made him look like the buffoon he is) and so his staff's kneejerk reaction was 'ok fine from now on we put all the call transcripts into the super secure lockbox so noone can leak embarrassing poo poo anymore without being caught dead to rights problem solved' without considering the implications. Later when told they couldn't do that (because I'm sure at some point someone needed to access the call transcripts and couldn't find them in the usual place and they got proudly told they'd been put on the Super Top Secret Hard to Access Everything's Logged Server at which point said career deep state person promptly huffed into a paper bag for five minutes then said 'uh no') they decided they'd only put the REALLY BAD stuff there, because Trump only hires The Best People, and by that time anyone with any loving sense had quit/been driven out.

That still doesn't preclude the securing of the communications on the server as a criminal conspiracy, it absolutely is according to what we read in the memo. They said 'poo poo this is bad, let's hide it' then did. But its second hand info which means we are going to see a flurry of subpoenas for Trump White House staff, Guiliani and probably Barr also. poo poo's gonna get WILD.

I would also guess the stuff isn't inaccessible, at the very least whoever administers the access levels on the server will be able to give them to whoever subpoenas them, god knows the Trump admin has noone that competent on the payroll and no government IT stooge is gonna risk their job to protect this band of jackasses.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

VH4Ever posted:

So The Mattering may actually be upon us. My question: what fucks this up? Because this rear end in a top hat should have been impeached a dozen scandals ago at least. What will make this one stick?

Major distraction. War, someone blows up Saudi Arabian oil fields for realz, major hurricane hits DC and trashes the place, terrorist attack... pretty much acts of God level poo poo.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Mooseontheloose posted:

To expand, how do you defend:
-Bribing a foreign official
-Bribing a foreign official to take out a political opponent
-LITERALLY sell out the United States so you can cling to power

Extortion, not bribery

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Gatts,Solaris 2.0,Dapper Swindler etc posted:

OMG he wants war in Syria!

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Shouldn't that be "What Obama did to Khadaffi"?

No, I thought you were one of the older goons, you remember this surely.

quote:

The 1986 United States bombing of Libya, code-named Operation El Dorado Canyon, comprised air strikes by the United States against Libya on Tuesday 15 April 1986. The attack was carried out by the U.S. Air Force, U.S. Navy and U.S. Marine Corps via air strikes, in retaliation for the 1986 West Berlin discotheque bombing. There were 40 reported Libyan casualties, and one U.S. plane was shot down. One of the claimed Libyan deaths was of a baby girl, reported to be Muammar Gaddafi's daughter, Hana Gaddafi.[3] However, there were doubts as to whether she was really killed, or whether she really even existed.[4]
Fun side note: this bombing campaign directly resulted in the bombing of Pan-AM 103, which crashed in Lockerbie Scotland and killed a dozen people on the ground as well as all on board and is why to this day you get announcements about not accepting anything from anyone you don't know at the airport.

Basically they're not starting a war they just want to bomb Syria's palace to try and kill Assad (and distract from the impeachment investigation but I'm sure that's totally a coincidence).

Oracle fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Sep 27, 2019

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

SKULL.GIF posted:

It is explicitly legal for members of Congress to insider trade, and if you think a person with an investment banker spouse is too noble to take advantage of that, then you're exactly the type of gullible peon that reflexively defends people like Pelosi.

Not since 2012 son.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

eke out posted:

just 100k is nothing though for the services rudy has providing, no matter how hilariously bad they have been. the real payment has to be something else

or its just an installment. Like the Stormy Daniels payments were.

Looks like we're gonna need to see Rudy's tax returns too. And probably Mulkasey's too, to see where that 100k came from.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Rigel posted:

EO's apply to people below him. The president can rewrite EOs on a whim, and they often do on the first hour of their presidency as soon as they get to their desk.

Given that it is a president's prerogative to rewrite or rescind any EOs he feels like, and that he's done it with other EOs he wasn't interested in following, can't a legal argument be made that since he didn't nix this one he has to follow it because if he didn't want to he could have gotten rid of it at any time prior?
I mean its nitpicky rules lawyering as hell but that's why God made lawyers.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

I think it's more likely Barr is just being super loving quiet until they have some sort of gameplan.

Bill Barr will turn up in Iran as a hostage, heroically sacrificing his very life so he doesn't have to come back to America and face the music (and to give Trump the opportunity to wag that dog hard).

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

SubG posted:

Anyone who would take take it in the name of healing the nation and hastening the return to normalcy needs to read about Reconstruction or consider the effect Nixon loyalists had, and continue to have, decades after Watergate. gently caress that noise. If you're going to go for a general amnesty, it has to be in the form of something like a truth and reconciliation commission, where even if you're not seeking remedy for every individual outrage against the public good you are at least demanding their public admission.

This. 1000x this.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Mr Interweb posted:

wait, what? public pre-school doesn't exist? :psyduck:

Not in the United States no. Public school starts with kindergarten, at age 5.

There is the Head Start program, but that's for 3-5 and not available everywhere, and also usually has a waiting list a mile long and is specifically for low-income families.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah because barr views himself as "professional" or some poo poo instead of whatever the gently caress rudy is. now he may drown in the same poo poo puddle as rudy. lol

https://twitter.com/ryanjreilly/status/1178789589223399431

Huh. I wonder if this is Barr throwing himself on his sword to defend executive overreach. If he can claim he asked Trump to pressure Ukraine to help with his crackpot conspiracy theory investigation, and if people believe Trump was 'just following the advice of his AG' which lol Trump following advice.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Dapper_Swindler posted:

idk. why the gently caress would he do that. i feel like barr will throw trump under the bus, doing your bosses dumb dirty work is one thing but now he is directly a target and will probably end up as a scapegoat/sacrifice, i doubt he wants that.

If he takes responsibility Trump can pardon him.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i am sorry, i know this was technically "after" mueller, but where the gently caress was he on all of this poo poo.

https://twitter.com/AndrewBGreene/status/1178782028243668992

Australia is gonna sell trump out too.

You're assuming they're talking about the impeachment investigation and not the 2016 Russian election interference investigation investigation, which since Australia is run by chuds at the moment, could well be.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

GlyphGryph posted:

It has not yet been made clear to me the manner in which the House will enforce fines.
Well if they're State Dept employees Congress having the 'power of the purse' can garnish their wages I believe. Suddenly being unable to make your house payment would likely be quite compelling.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

GreyjoyBastard posted:

yeah, targeted legislation would probably be unconstitutional and is unnecessary anyway

It's not as clearly laid out as civil contempt, but the House could probably either have the sergeant at arms issue the fines (by the same sort of mechanism as that hypothetical Chase Bank garnishment, where he / his office sends a letter), or have him go to a judge and ask the judge to issue the fines. In either case though, you might as well start with suing for civil contempt in the first place.

Yeah I totally scrambled that. Basically hold them in contempt of congress and fine them every day (though that's Federal court I think contempt of Congress has the same ability? Or is it inherit contempt?)

Ugh, this is really going to be a hot loving mess.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Rabble posted:

Pompeo is going to prison based on this alone.

They're going full Unitary Executive. This is the push for 'the president is above the law and only he can get rid of cabinet members.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Edmund Lava posted:

Given what we know about his request for electric alligator fences, I don’t want Trump getting any ideas from what happened in Salem.

That would require reading or watching a movie without tits explosions or fighting, so no worries.