Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
It's actually pretty easy to get to; for me it's more about what I'm looking to do with the run and if I have a decent perk/wand setup going already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Whoops

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

idiotsavant posted:

It's actually pretty easy to get to; for me it's more about what I'm looking to do with the run and if I have a decent perk/wand setup going already

It's all the way across to the edge of the map, and my point was I couldn't be bothered walking all that way, that's all.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

i like how Mina just went "well guess i'll die" and smoothly rotated from vertical to horizontal

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

Apparently missiles are not considered projectiles when it comes to the Projectile Repulsion Field. Not that it would have mattered due to my low health and my general stupidity. loving Hiisi base, man.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
that tank shoots homing missiles. projectile repulsion field ain't gonna protect you when it's already comin in hot

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

this run would be a potential god run if i hadn't gotten past jungle and not yet found a single loving non-homebringer teleport aaaarggghhh

literally walking past the pyramid to dig into the overgrown cavern with energy orb like a goddamn pleb, cmon man

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Apr 17, 2024

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

alley-oop!

(e) do those little frogs still do the damage-per-frame thing?

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Apr 17, 2024

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

not a single teleport bolt. all the way here, and up and down the whole caverns. I am actually completely astonished

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
i can't prove this but i think noita takes spells and sorts them into tiers of rarity on each seed or each run or something, because i'll have runs where i'm just getting the same stuff constantly even i nthe same tiers and some other spells just literally never appear, more than random chance would seem to indicate.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

oh my god i finally found one i can go to bed

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I would simply not teleport. :colbert:

... and instead build an unholy jet-propulsion mechanism with concentrated light or damage+ and luminous drill! :haw:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Nea posted:

i can't prove this but i think noita takes spells and sorts them into tiers of rarity on each seed or each run or something, because i'll have runs where i'm just getting the same stuff constantly even i nthe same tiers and some other spells just literally never appear, more than random chance would seem to indicate.

This kind of pattern shows up in a lot of RNG-heavy games. In Dungeonmans, for example, every time I play there'll be a different equipment slot that's always two tiers behind the other slots. Sometimes it's my shoulder armor, sometimes it's the hat, sometimes it's the boots. It's just my stupid monkey brain seeing patterns that aren't there to explain away bad luck. There's enough stuff that you always want to get in games like these, that you'll always have something that the game is "refusing to spawn". In Noita, maybe it's teleport, maybe it's good defensive perks, maybe it's a projectile with trigger spell, etc.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
RNG will give you what you need, it’s just about mastering the fundamentals to survive until then.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

can anyone explain why this wand is firing at a stutter instead of a normal machine gun? I tried running it through the simulator and a lot of ingame fiddling but I can't work out what's going on. This is me holding left mouse:

(e) If I take out the Blood material it rapidfires correctly, but why does that have a cast delay at all?

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Apr 18, 2024

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
You can replace the 45 MB (!) GIF with .mp4 and it is a lot nicer:

https://i.imgur.com/HkEb1hS.mp4

Ciaphas posted:

can anyone explain why this wand is firing at a stutter instead of a normal machine gun? I tried running it through the simulator and a lot of ingame fiddling but I can't work out what's going on. This is me holding left mouse:

(e) If I take out the Blood material it rapidfires correctly, but why does that have a cast delay at all?

what happens if you try swapping the double and triple spells?

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Ciaphas posted:

spells can add or subtract from the wand's native chast/recharge

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Zamujasa posted:

You can replace the 45 MB (!) GIF with .mp4 and it is a lot nicer:

https://i.imgur.com/HkEb1hS.mp4

what happens if you try swapping the double and triple spells?
oh drat, nice trick with the url. cheers for that

and that did the trick. I thought I was casting the blood material in a group with at least one chainsaw by wrapping, but i was one short

(e) also apparently add trigger'd modifiers with zero casts left don't work anymore because i ate up all my matter eaters messing around. guess i better go find a spell refresher :doh:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Ciaphas posted:

* add mana + add mana + chainsaw
* chainsaw
* double spell
- * blood
- * light + add trigger (piercing + m. eater + homing + crit + bloody crit + damage plus + proj. damage area + accel. shot + speedup) -> spark bolt
- - * thunder
* triple spell
- * (wrapping) add mana + add mana + chainsaw
- * chainsaw

double spell was casting both spells and finishing; the next cast fired off triple spell, which starts from the beginning and reloads again

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

my crippling inability to count aside: this is my first time messing around with the Add Trigger family of spells and lol this is busted

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Apr 18, 2024

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Zamujasa posted:

* add mana + add mana + chainsaw
* chainsaw
* double spell
- * blood
- * light + add trigger (piercing + m. eater + homing + crit + bloody crit + damage plus + proj. damage area + accel. shot + speedup) -> spark bolt
- - * thunder
* triple spell
- * (wrapping) add mana + add mana + chainsaw
- * chainsaw

double spell was casting both spells and finishing; the next cast fired off triple spell, which starts from the beginning and reloads again

Yeah you’re not actually wrapping/casting correctly in that wand, and with all the add mana delay and everything else you basically don’t have a well-structured machine gun wand. The two ways of doing it are either reduce both cast delay & recharge to effectively 0 by stacking on enough chainsaws/lumi drills/glimmers/etc, or to link everything to cast as one spell (usually a trigger with a bunch of double/triple/quads stacked up correctly in it) & then wrapping it all to a lumi drill/chainsaw

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.

Ciaphas posted:

One way to fix this would be to remove 1 chainsaw, put the triple spell where the double spell is, and then remove the double spell entirely.

If I'm thinking about this right, it'll do the chainsaw first cast, then second cast it'll triple spell with blood, trigger-spark bolt (lightning), and wrap around to the chainsaw.

That way you won't waste a shot on just a chainsaw (the second chainsaw in the picture) every time the wand reloads.

You can also experiment with putting the mana-mana-chainsaw at the end of the wand because it can be faster not to wrap.

crimedog fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Apr 18, 2024

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Managed to fungal shift something to sand, eventually realized that I'd converted fungus to sand, which I guess meant no more fungal shifts for that run!

Luckily I found a secret loophole for that problem by dying hilariously soon thereafter.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

here's what i'm going with now. definitely works correctly in game, but to make sure i'm reading this poo poo right i wrote it down two ways

casts red, then orange, then yellow (which wraps), then recharges

code:
delay=0.25s, recharge=0.25s

cast 1: chainsaw (2x add mana)
- delay=0 due to chainsaw
- -0.17s recharge, 0.08s total
- -59 mana, -59 mana total
cast 2: chainsaw
- delay=0 ditto
- -0.17s recharge, -0.09s total
- 1 mana, -58 mana total
cast 3: tricast:
- 2 mana, -56 total
1. blood material (crit on bloody) - 100% crit for entire tricast
- -0.25s delay, 0.0s total
- -0.17s recharge, -0.26s total
- 10 mana, -46 mana total
2. spark bolt (add trigger & The Kitchen Sink)
- 0.05s delay, 0.05s total
- 15 mana, -31 total
-- trigger payload: dualcast chainsaw*, lightning bolt (nb.: add Piercing to kitchen sink to trigger payload per contact frame)
-- - 0.83s delay, 0.88s total
-- - 71 mana, 40 total
3. (wrap to) chainsaw (2x add mana)
- delay=0 due to chainsaw
- -0.17s recharge, -0.43s total
- -59 mana, -19 total

wrapped, recharge triggered
recharge <= 0, mana <= 0, all delays <= 0 ====> haha machine gun go brrrrrrr

* reminder: chainsaw in trigger payload does not set delay=0 (does it affect recharge? doesn't matter in this case )

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Apr 18, 2024

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

my crippling inability to count aside: this is my first time messing around with the Add Trigger family of spells and lol this is busted

I'm glad the community has embraced their brokenness but the essence of those spells is past me thinking "well, surely I can inject functionality normally handled by the C++ part of the codebase that I don't understand at all using the lua scripting capabilities without too much trouble???"

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

I just like making rocks that turn into animals.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Hempuli posted:

I'm glad the community has embraced their brokenness but the essence of those spells is past me thinking "well, surely I can inject functionality normally handled by the C++ part of the codebase that I don't understand at all using the lua scripting capabilities without too much trouble???"
on the one hand i wouldn't blame you or the other devs if it did one day get fixed; but on the other, more dominant hand, it's really funny and good

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Is there a way to place flasks gently on the ground to clear up an inventory slot without breaking them?

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
the emergent gameplay you get from the absolutely busted interactions are some of the best parts of the game, and the nice thing is that they're so high-level that the game impact on "normal" gameplay is basically nil

or nolla i guess :v:

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009

Hempuli posted:

This is Noita. The harder it is to understand how I just died, the better. I would like it less if you knew more about it, ideally I am the one who knows more.

Darox posted:

The further away your cursor is from you, the harder you throw an item. If your cursor is directly on top of you when you throw you'll gently drop the flask with a ~99% success rate of not breaking it.

I have a much better time with just dragging it out of my inventory and onto the wizard, it seems more forgiving.

ComradePyro fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Apr 18, 2024

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Ariong posted:

Is there a way to place flasks gently on the ground to clear up an inventory slot without breaking them?

The further away your cursor is from you, the harder you throw an item. If your cursor is directly on top of you when you throw you'll gently drop the flask with a ~99% success rate of not breaking it.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

If you don’t move the cursor far enough away from you, the flask will overlap your body and it will get physicked to oblivion. The only safe way to store a flask is to dig a smooth hole with a black hole, fill it with water or blood, dive in and gently drag the flask to right next to you and even then you’ll have to save scum to do it reliably.

Also every time the chunk gets reloaded, the flask will get spun around and some of the liquid will get deleted, so you’ll have to periodically refill your flask storage otherwise there won’t be enough liquid to dampen the flasks movement and it’ll shatter anyway.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Thank you.

More generally speaking, any tips for a new player? The main thing that’s bothering me currently is that it feels like my damage output is supposed to be way higher and there’s something I’m missing to get me there. For example on my most recent good run I made a wand with damage plus, bloodlust, and magic arrow. So that’s 53 damage per shot, pretty good fire rate (2 or 3 shots per second I think). But I got to Hiisii base and it just wasn’t good enough. Every enemy just soaked up so much damage and got so many shots off before I could kill them. I died from attrition.

It feels like once I have a decent wand, almost nothing new I find actually helps. Like, putting additional projectile spells onto the wand isn’t going to increase its damage unless that new projectile does more damage than the current one, in which case I would replace rather than add. Most projectile modifiers are cool but practically useless gimmicks. (Gunpowder trail? Charm on toxic damage?) In short very few of the different things I can find actually help me kill enemies faster, just differently. There’s always more powerful wands, but once I find one that’s down to like 0.05-0.10 on both cast delay and recharge time that’s about the best I can get, and it still seems not good enough.

Then there’s stuff like the boss in that lava area to the right of the first underground level, which seems so impossibly insurmountable that I feel I MUST be missing something. So, what is it? What am I missing?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I'd say the two easiest ways to go beyond just having a peashooter are:
- reducing your cast delay and recharge time to nothing - Chainsaw will generally be best for this (it reduces cast delay to zero as well as reducing recharge time) but Digging Bolt and Luminous Beam are other options. This lets you make extremely powerful machine guns
- using trigger spells to deliver some powerful payoff at long range, such as an explosion or a powerful bundle of spells

e: another option is just picking Concentrated Spells and casting as many attack spells at once as possible, the way it scales with multiple shots is completely ridiculous

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Apr 18, 2024

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
General knowledge for bosses is that most are better dealt with via massive single shots than machine gunning a lot of smaller hits. For that guy specifically, there is actually a gimmick, though it isn't strictly necessary to exploit it.In addition to his status shots and explosive shots, he will copy whatever spell you're shooting him with, so many of the spells that are easy to kill yourself with end up being useful.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

Ariong posted:

Thank you.

More generally speaking, any tips for a new player? The main thing that’s bothering me currently is that it feels like my damage output is supposed to be way higher and there’s something I’m missing to get me there. For example on my most recent good run I made a wand with damage plus, bloodlust, and magic arrow. So that’s 53 damage per shot, pretty good fire rate (2 or 3 shots per second I think). But I got to Hiisii base and it just wasn’t good enough. Every enemy just soaked up so much damage and got so many shots off before I could kill them. I died from attrition.

It feels like once I have a decent wand, almost nothing new I find actually helps. Like, putting additional projectile spells onto the wand isn’t going to increase its damage unless that new projectile does more damage than the current one, in which case I would replace rather than add. Most projectile modifiers are cool but practically useless gimmicks. (Gunpowder trail? Charm on toxic damage?) In short very few of the different things I can find actually help me kill enemies faster, just differently. There’s always more powerful wands, but once I find one that’s down to like 0.05-0.10 on both cast delay and recharge time that’s about the best I can get, and it still seems not good enough.

Then there’s stuff like the boss in that lava area to the right of the first underground level, which seems so impossibly insurmountable that I feel I MUST be missing something. So, what is it? What am I missing?
Trigger or timer spells are the easiest way to up damage. With those, you can "package" a group of spells inside another.

For example with a wand like: Spark Bolt With Trigger + Double Spell + Spark Bolt + Spark Bolt. You fire off one Spark Bolt with Trigger that hits an enemy, and then those two other Spark Bolts are fired off from inside the enemy, usually also hitting it immediately.

This part can be a bit confusing if you're just starting up, but the package of two Spark Bolts also do not affect the cast delay of the actual Spark Bolt With Trigger, meaning your wand is not slowed down like it would if you had just Double Spell + Spark Bolt + Spark Bolt. That is why Triggers and Timers are the way to build really, really good wands.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Ariong posted:

Thank you.

Multicast. Modifiers apply their bonus to every spell in the same multicast block. When you get damage increasing modifiers, you should be trying to cram as many cheap projectiles as possible into a multicast with the damage plus. Shotgun is ideal for this because you get 3 projectiles in 1 slot.

Additional tips to go along with this:
- Those modifiers that make spells go in wacky directions also increase damage
- Wacky spell direction doesn't matter when the spells are a trigger payload

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012
Had my first run where I've gotten my hands on alchemical precursor, it was just hanging around in a small puddle in the mines.

Some messing around with nearby liquids didn't yield me more, so I caved and used the tool to check the recipe.

It was water+mud+coal.

Had 10k gold in the first mountain and felt that I was hot poo poo after I butchered my way through Hiisi Base with exploding chainsaws on trigger and vampirism.

Decided to pick a fight with the High Alchemist, thinking my 3 charges of thunder charge on trigger would be enough.

Lost 3/4 of my hp after my first shot because he shocked me back with something, drank my bottle of blood for hp, shot my thunder charge again, shocked again and died.

Proof that the greatest enemy is always your own hubris.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Thank you everyone for the advice. I always figured that, for example, spark bolt with trigger into spark bolt would just result in the first spark bolt hitting the enemy and a second one flying in a random direction away from the enemy. It certainly helps to explain the existence of the strange multicast options.

However, I am currently trying to put your advice into practice and it doesn’t seem to be working. I’ve created a wand that has 4 spells per cast and the following spells slotted in: Spark bolt with trigger, spark bolt with trigger, magic arrow, spark bolt with trigger, magic arrow. Based on my understanding of the game each fire of the wand should make two spark bolts,, one of which generates a magic arrow on collision, the other of which generates a spark bolt that generates a magic arrow. Based on your advice, nailing an enemy with this should cause all the follow-up stuff to go off inside it, resulting in 29 total damage. Here’s an example of what happens instead:

Pathetic, literally worse than a magic arrow by itself. Where am I going wrong here?