Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

tfw you don't have perk lottery and see this :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I’m starting to consider instantly restarting any run where my starting flask doesn’t have water or an equivalent. It’s just such a massive disadvantage to not be able to dilute toxic sludge, and to have it be way more time-consuming to put yourself out. Furthermore, I just can’t see the utility of these flasks of berserkium, pheremones, polymorphium, etc. The early game enemies are weak enough that using them is pointless overkill, but later in the game it’s just so much more efficient to use whatever wands I have. It seems like it’s only useful if you stumble upon a tightly-packed group of fairly tough enemies, and oh yeah, they also have to be ground-based to hit many of them reliably.

I don’t want to do this though because it feels like it runs counter to the game’s spirit of experimentation and working with what you have. Does anyone have any advice for making use of a starting flask of polymorphium or what have you?

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Just drink the whole thing if it's safe to do so, or spend however many seconds it takes to piss it out right where you start. If you can't find a deep pool of water right away you can probably find a shallow one and a deep pool of toxic sludge to mix.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Ariong posted:

I’m starting to consider instantly restarting any run where my starting flask doesn’t have water or an equivalent. It’s just such a massive disadvantage to not be able to dilute toxic sludge, and to have it be way more time-consuming to put yourself out. Furthermore, I just can’t see the utility of these flasks of berserkium, pheremones, polymorphium, etc. The early game enemies are weak enough that using them is pointless overkill, but later in the game it’s just so much more efficient to use whatever wands I have. It seems like it’s only useful if you stumble upon a tightly-packed group of fairly tough enemies, and oh yeah, they also have to be ground-based to hit many of them reliably.

I don’t want to do this though because it feels like it runs counter to the game’s spirit of experimentation and working with what you have. Does anyone have any advice for making use of a starting flask of polymorphium or what have you?

Polymorphium is one of the better starting flasks. You’re guaranteed a way to escape mountains so you can edit wands. The more wand editing you can do the more likely you are to get out of the early game and win.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Yeah, a poly flask is a mountain escape. If I get an acid flask that means I'm going to try a speed-run as you can one-shot Kolmi with it. For berserkium I just drink the lot right then, and anything other than water/brine gets poured out as I go and hope to find water.

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

... Oh my god the mountain only collapses if Minä passes the threshold? That totally makes sense considering all of the assholes I've had fly up the passage to the next level and surprise me without triggering the collapse.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

I'm terrible at remembering to use buff potions, but there are some great utility potions in there:
Acid: Dig into sealed treasure rooms
Polymorphine: Sneak out of/into holy mountain
Pheromone: Gain a pet healer in hiisi base

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
Concentrated Mana melts metal/robots and converts water to itself: a single flask can core a hole through a whole hiisi base sometimes

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
the new update adding in flask mixing also means that concentrated mana will change entire flasks if they aren't 100% full already, too

still worth it though

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

uPen posted:

Polymorphium is one of the better starting flasks. You’re guaranteed a way to escape mountains so you can edit wands. The more wand editing you can do the more likely you are to get out of the early game and win.

Can you elaborate on this?

The Protagonist posted:

Concentrated Mana melts metal/robots and converts water to itself: a single flask can core a hole through a whole hiisi base sometimes

I didn’t even know you could start with concentrated mana. I’d have kept that even before I learned these two uses, as that is quite useful if I end up stuck with a wand that is lacking in the mana department for a bit.

BMan posted:

I'm terrible at remembering to use buff potions, but there are some great utility potions in there:
Acid: Dig into sealed treasure rooms
Polymorphine: Sneak out of/into holy mountain
Pheromone: Gain a pet healer in hiisi base

Yeah I’m not really at the point where I can reliably get to Hiisi Base, especially on a run where I effectively start without a flask.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Ariong posted:

To collapse the holy mountain the player has to be in a small zone in the upper left corner of the inverted u-turn corridor. If you're not the player but instead a sheep, even being in that zone won't collapse it.

spoilered it

resistentialism fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Apr 21, 2024

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
that also holds true for any non-mina entity. it's just less consistent with chaotic/unstable

i never do the self-poly because i find it too risky. no way to judge remaining flight time and if you blow it you get dropped right into someone who snipes you dead

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

resistentialism posted:

To collapse the holy mountain the player has to be in a small zone in the upper left corner of the inverted u-turn corridor. If you're not the player but instead a sheep, even being in that zone won't collapse it.

spoilered it

Oh, neat. I could see that being useful if all my wand slots are full and I find a wand with some good spells on it.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
I prefer normal poly as you know what you are getting every time.

My process:
I kick over the statue at the exit so it is lying facing up, and then fill the little cup the hands form with poly (which only uses a tiny amount). Then, making sure I don't see a stain marker that might mean it wears off quickly, I sheep-fly my way up and stand so my hind legs are on the lip of the vertical shaft leading down to the next biome. That way I don't get shot by monsters down in the new level, and when I change back to Mina I don't trigger the collapse.

To get back in I reverse the process. Maybe using some bursts of water out of a flask to boost my levitation back up, I barely tap left at the top to sit on the edge of the vertical shaft. Then pour poly on myself and sheep my way back in.

It will take some practice to get used to the tiny bit you can stand on as Mina when trying to get back in, but leaving is trivial.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Zamujasa posted:

that also holds true for any non-mina entity. it's just less consistent with chaotic/unstable

i never do the self-poly because i find it too risky. no way to judge remaining flight time and if you blow it you get dropped right into someone who snipes you dead

You can land on the top ledge and hang out until the poly wears off. As long as you hug the right edge you and the mountain will be safe.

Weyd
Nov 26, 2009
In my last playthrough I found a pool of (stable) teleportatium. Turns out that you can bottle it, albeit very slowly, took me about 5 mins of back-and-forth to fill a potion. It works just as well in a pinch as a non-destructive way out of the temple, although the initial teleport into the unknown gets pretty risky around the Hiisi Base stage.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

You can bottle dangerous liquids by shaving the floor underneath them to a pixel thickness and then shoving your flask up into the liquid from underneath.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
You can also bottle tele by dropping an empty bottle in it & then picking it back up, tho the pickup can be tricky. Also starting tip if you don’t start with water: if you empty/drink your flask you can basically always scrape up a squirt of water from the shallow bit at the mine entrance if you crouch down to do it, and a pixel is enough to change sludge into a whole pool of water.

Plus as mentioned there are plenty of flasks that are really useful early on. Gunpowder and acid for halfass digging, conc mana to potentially get through steel, teleportatium or unstable tele to get out of the mountain & activate the hourglass, etc etc.

Just finished my first 11-orb uh pure run I think? Started out the kolmi fight with a bouncing ball/heavy shot/random thrice wand and that didn’t go well - the kickback knocked me all over and the equivalent of 4 heavy shots means half the time the ball doesn’t even spawn lol. I was at 18 hp at one point (from like 3.5k at full) and then I ran the gently caress away to grab a full heal and slap the heavy shots back on my +++dmg homing music note machine gun wand and pretty much deleted him in 10 seconds

Even then I almost screwed up by taking the portal into the work but dug my way back out with freezing black holes, sheesh. Next up I guess I’ll do essences and then maybe start thinking about sun/moon/33+ orb achievements

Edit: I should have posted the seed; i had a pingpong lumi drill + small tele wand by the coal pits AND my second run with naturally occurring alchemical precursor - looked like toxic sludge + tele + soil. And I had about 6-700 hp just from hearts from going down to hiisi & then running around in Fungal Altar. Pretty ridiculous one.

idiotsavant fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Apr 21, 2024

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

Ariong posted:

I didn’t even know you could start with concentrated mana. I’d have kept that even before I learned these two uses, as that is quite useful if I end up stuck with a wand that is lacking in the mana department for a bit.

Yeah I’m not really at the point where I can reliably get to Hiisi Base, especially on a run where I effectively start without a flask.

There is another, earlier-game use for pheromone, though it's kind of obscure, since it's basically a patch to an old exploit. If you have a little pool of pheromone, throwing a wand with no spells on it will sell it for a couple hundred gold, depending on what tier wand it is. It's surprisingly finicky though, so you may have to pick it back up and throw it again. You can even potentially make a profit on the first floor buying the cheaper wands, emptying them of their spells, and dunking them in the pheromone. This patched an earlier behavior where empty wands would spawn infinite friendly wand ghosts that tried to pick it up but dropped it instantly since it had no spells, which you could kill for infinite gold. By the way, for wands with spells, those friendly wand ghosts will actually pick up and use the wand, which can be a problem, potentially.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Ariong posted:

I used to die a lot in the third zone but it helped when I realized that I was getting killed by long, open sightlines. Stick to cover when moving downwards so you can react when something inevitably begins shooting at you from offscreen. The openness of the level seems like a blessing at first, but it actually makes things really dangerous.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

idiotsavant posted:

You can also bottle tele by dropping an empty bottle in it & then picking it back up, tho the pickup can be tricky.

If you throw a flask into a pool and it comes to a rest on its side, going into the mods menu and selecting "restart with mods enabled" will restart your game right there and the flask will be upright, allowing it to fill completely.

Tips for the Hiisi Base and healing:
Pheromone the healer guys (they have a green gun) and they will heal you instead of the creatures. Alternatively, stand so you overlap one of those static laser guns and kick it, and the healer will try to heal the turret and hit you instead. Also, if you get 2 healers together and kick both of them, you can get yourself in the middle of a healing sandwich.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011

Ariong posted:

Funnily enough, I find most of these potions not to be earlygame helpers, but midgame ones.

Also, all of them can clear a toxic sludge stain anyway.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

does anyone else have Steam still say "Synchronizing Cloud" on startup even though it's turned off in both the game options and Steam's game options? I've got another god run going, so it gets stuck there for quite a while

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

goferchan posted:

I used to die a lot in the third zone but it helped when I realized that I was getting killed by long, open sightlines. Stick to cover when moving downwards so you can react when something inevitably begins shooting at you from offscreen. The openness of the level seems like a blessing at first, but it actually makes things really dangerous.

This is good advice - the icy cave area will gently caress you up if you wander around out in the open. Stay at the top, go right until you hit dense rock, and then go straight down from there until you hit holy mountain. If you want to explore more after that, you can climb back up to carefully clear more of the area from your safe corridor. Be patient and stay near cover as much as possible.

Red Minjo posted:

There is another, earlier-game use for pheromone, though it's kind of obscure, since it's basically a patch to an old exploit. If you have a little pool of pheromone, throwing a wand with no spells on it will sell it for a couple hundred gold, depending on what tier wand it is. It's surprisingly finicky though, so you may have to pick it back up and throw it again. You can even potentially make a profit on the first floor buying the cheaper wands, emptying them of their spells, and dunking them in the pheromone. This patched an earlier behavior where empty wands would spawn infinite friendly wand ghosts that tried to pick it up but dropped it instantly since it had no spells, which you could kill for infinite gold. By the way, for wands with spells, those friendly wand ghosts will actually pick up and use the wand, which can be a problem, potentially.

What :stare:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
yep. that got patched into "selling" wands: throw a wand with no spells into pheromone and it'll turn into gold nuggets

it was a lot easier to just keep lobbing tablets around and creating infinite money, though. :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

where ought i go in new game plus to try to find this sonofabitch? Wiki says underground jungle spawns wands with all of and only tier 1-4 spells; assuming the tiers stay the same in ng+, is that gonna be my best bet?

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
based on the wiki article:

* Wands generate with spells one tier lower than the wand, so a tier 3 wand will mostly have tier 2 spells in it
* Wands can only spawn with multicast, projectile, or modifier type spells, though Always Casts can be of projectile, static projectile, modifier, or utility type.

since CoV is a tier 1-2-3-4 spell, you'll want to look for wands of tier 2~5, but it will only have CoV if it has it as an always cast

if i had to make a suggestion for ng+, assuming overgrown caverns are still there, i'd go there first. biomes can get super fucky because ng+ can replace them with other ones or the Tower variants

really, i'd just say look for always-cast-having wands or spell shops anywhere deeper than the coal pits but before hell. if you can get a feel for the "tier"-ness of wands (mostly what spells tend to show up only on certain ones) you can better gauge it.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

oh thanks for that tip on the always cast thing, i need the actual spell so I'll head for good old overgrown, i've seen a few chunks of it here & there

https://i.imgur.com/OK7Zq9T.mp4

be gay do wizard crimes

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I don’t know anything about NG+ or its mechanics, but if it helps I did once find CoV pretty early on, early enough to use it in the icy depths. I don’t remember whether I bought it from a mid-level spell shop or whether I bought a wand with it from a holy mountain, but it definitely wasn’t an always cast.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

uPen posted:

I dearly love the boomerang spells perk, I basically always take it if I see it semi-early in a run.

I'm fairly certain 100% of my deaths with boomerang spells were caused by me forgetting I've got it while testing wands.

Same! I used to hate it. Grew to love it and now have accepted it hates me

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

resistentialism posted:

Just drink the whole thing if it's safe to do so, or spend however many seconds it takes to piss it out right where you start. If you can't find a deep pool of water right away you can probably find a shallow one and a deep pool of toxic sludge to mix.

I've only ever got vomit when drinking whats this mythical piss you refer too

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Hey glass cannon is pretty fun when I have a wand that shoots homing laserbeams really really fast.

Let me just drop a bomb to dig...
...oh wait... does glass cannon apply to bomb radius?

Minä's final thoughts.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

“Can’t shoot straight up or down” they said…

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

:unsmith:

:hellyeah:

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Great job, crown-sister!

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down
So, after, the latest game update my entire progress appears to have been wiped out. Completely everything, it's acting like a fresh install.
Steam cloud is disabled for the game, I don't think it's a sync issue.
First happened when I loaded the update on beta branch (one mod, spell lab, active).
Turned off mods and switched to main branch, same issue and I even got what I guess is the fresh game intro.
I had no active run when I loaded up the game post update.
Any ideas why this would happen? Anything to try?

The only hard saves I have are extremely old, possibly prior to my 33 orb clear which was something like 2-3 years ago since I only ever backed up saves for long runs due to crash risk. That would be better than nothing but still sucks.

e: save00 is basically fresh file. save01-06 are empty although those have always been empty for me, not sure what they were ever used for.
The only thing that survived is 16GB of gifs...

animatorZed fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Apr 22, 2024

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Gromit posted:

Great job, crown-sister!
:tipshat:

There's one fly in the ointment, though: I didn't get either of the As Above, So Below pillars - I think because I et the heaven moon with a regular sun several games before I et the dark moon with either sun, and wiki says it has to be both in one game.

So, since the Sun/Dark Sun spawn on the Moon/Dark Moon in all games now... are those pillars permanently out of reach, barring wiping my profile? :ohdear:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
pretty sure there's a way to get rid of the suns, but i don't remember what it is. hempuli could probably tell you

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Zamujasa posted:

pretty sure there's a way to get rid of the suns, but i don't remember what it is. hempuli could probably tell you

yeah according to https://noita.wiki.gg/wiki/Advanced_Guide:_Sun_Quest: "A sun may be reverted to a moon by creating or moving the opposite sun to that moon."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Anyone have any clue on who or what Kolmisilmä is supposed to be? Natural inhabitant of the land? Another really hosed up wizard/alchemist? I can't recall any tablets etc. referencing him off the top of my head, but I imagine there's a reason he's the final boss