Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

goferchan posted:

Anyone have any clue on who or what Kolmisilmä is supposed to be? Natural inhabitant of the land? Another really hosed up wizard/alchemist? I can't recall any tablets etc. referencing him off the top of my head, but I imagine there's a reason he's the final boss

Given that the biome immediately before Kolmi is very magic-themed, I see two main options:

1. previous magicians were working on the Great Work, but couldn't figure out how to perfect it, and didn't want to complete it unperfected. They set Kolmi as a guardian to stop later mages from trying to complete the work too, unless those mages had the wisdom to do it properly.
2. previous magicians were working on the Great Work, but were stopped by other forces. Said other forces weren't able to destroy the Salt, so they set Kolmi as a guardian yadda yadda.

I tend to favor option 1, since I feel like it ties into how gaining Orbs of True Knowledge both makes Kolmi stronger and changes the ending. Why Kolmi gets stronger when you have more orbs, I have no clue.

Either way, I'd say that Kolmi is probably a magically-altered version of one of the jungle spiders. That has the greatest physical similarity that I can think of.

(this is of course all speculation on my part, I don't have anywhere near encyclopedic knowledge of the in-game lore)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

goferchan posted:

Anyone have any clue on who or what Kolmisilmä is supposed to be? Natural inhabitant of the land? Another really hosed up wizard/alchemist? I can't recall any tablets etc. referencing him off the top of my head, but I imagine there's a reason he's the final boss

I assumed it was some kind of divine guardian or something.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
i always took it to be someone who got really into The Art and this is the inevitable result of tampering with arcane forces

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

oh, no

https://i.imgur.com/e1m4C2T.mp4

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

i'm almost disappointed that that doesn't kill me tbh

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

Ciaphas posted:

It was the loving-aroundest of times, it was the finding-outest of times

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Ciaphas posted:

New thread title spotted.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

lol I have zero clue what that thing was. Excellent.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Is it normal for swapper mages to swap BEFORE the explosive component of a magic missile?
Like I shot the dude - the missile hit him, damaged him, then I swapped places and took a huge chunk from what I assume is the explosion.
Because I just deleted myself with that and it absolutely enraged me.

----

I'm also curious of how certain explosive attacks actually do damage - namely Thunder Charge that Ukko shoots - on paper it lists 37.5 electric and 45 explosive - but I've been oneshotted by Ukko at over 150 HP before, so there's gotta be something else going on?

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Apr 23, 2024

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

madmatt112 posted:

lol I have zero clue what that thing was. Excellent.

Looks like some rock + accelerate + homing or rotates towards enemies at base

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

DarkDobe posted:

Is it normal for swapper mages to swap BEFORE the explosive component of a magic missile?
Like I shot the dude - the missile hit him, damaged him, then I swapped places and took a huge chunk from what I assume is the explosion.
Because I just deleted myself with that and it absolutely enraged me.

----

I'm also curious of how certain explosive attacks actually do damage - namely Thunder Charge that Ukko shoots - on paper it lists 37.5 electric and 45 explosive - but I've been oneshotted by Ukko at over 150 HP before, so there's gotta be something else going on?

They swap on damage so yes, using explosive trigger wands against them is a very bad idea

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

idiotsavant posted:

Looks like some rock + accelerate + homing or rotates towards enemies at base
Close! Rock + rainbow glimmer + accelerating homing + short-range homing (because why not), don't have a rotate yet. very funny but not actually that effective against anything it doesn't one-shot

(e) found an add trigger and an acid rain, time to try it on mr mestarien mestari :black101:

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

idiotsavant posted:

They swap on damage so yes, using explosive trigger wands against them is a very bad idea

It was just a magic missile, though. Really confused me when it happened.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

okay, this is actually a new one
https://i.imgur.com/uD9Sph7.mp4
4000 health to 0 all in one agonizing chain-stun i fell into mid reroll-break :negative:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Oh jesus they just gunned you down rifle execution style

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

it took a full minute :cry:

dobbymoodge
Mar 8, 2005

goferchan posted:

Big Hamis

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

DarkDobe posted:

It was just a magic missile, though. Really confused me when it happened.

it does projectile damage + explosion damage, basically the missile projectile hits and damages the mage, the mage swaps you, and then the explosion happens and blows you up. If you look close a lot of explosive spells have similar functionality - a projectile followed by an explosion

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

idiotsavant posted:

it does projectile damage + explosion damage, basically the missile projectile hits and damages the mage, the mage swaps you, and then the explosion happens and blows you up. If you look close a lot of explosive spells have similar functionality - a projectile followed by an explosion

Indeed I noita'd myself.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

huh. healthium flask in the mines. first one I've ever seen. seed 238587175

thinkin' bout that new Sea spell :getin:

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
I've got an old seed here 181340380 if you like great chests stuffed with hearts in the first area.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

animatorZed posted:

So, after, the latest game update my entire progress appears to have been wiped out. Completely everything, it's acting like a fresh install.

Yeah this happened to me after some family sharing/someone else logging in to my steam on my PC incident, and I ended up just wiping and starting again because the super old content I could recover from steam cloud was partially missing a lot of early/basic stuff and it was kind of nonsensical. If I ever get close to complete like my old file was, I'm going to back up my save00 just for my sanity's sake.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
lol at not having several gigabytes of Copy of save00 13 from multiple just-in-cases during god runs

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Can't say I've ever backed up a save, but I've edited my x/y coords in player.xml to move me out of a softlock a few times.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
I do it pretty frequently once I cross into the "god run" range, partially to cheat death for when I accidentally create a game-crashing wand and need to restore, or multiple times during the sun quest to ensure the game didn't decide to eat it.

I also just got into the habit of closing and backing up every two parallel worlds too, since otherwise I tend to forget and then crash the game that way.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Zamujasa posted:

I also just got into the habit of closing and backing up every two parallel worlds too, since otherwise I tend to forget and then crash the game that way.

If I'm doing parallel worlds, I'll just do a mod-restart when I get to the top of the new mountain and that's always worked fine for me.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
I'm definitely guilty of awarding myself, uh, honorary CHIM once passing a certain longrun godpower threshold

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Got a long-range cast/teleport wand in the coal pits and made it all the way to The Vault before I successfully remembered to use it to exit Holy Mountain. Each time I'd collapse it and be like gently caress knew I forgot something

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I want to try a "no gold" run some time, but I know it will be so frustrating to just grab gold thanks to muscle memory. Actually, I'll try it on my next run and see how far I get before I gently caress it up.

It has to be far easier than no hit runs, where I think I've managed halfway through the second biome? It just seems like such a ponderous and unfun mode to attempt seriously.

e: yeah, 5 restarts later where I accidentally picked up a single pixel of gold is making this a complete pain in the arse. Not made it to even the first Holy Mountain, given I still need to look around for HP and wand resources. If I ever want to do this, I think I'll save scum each biome as there's no way I'll do it legitimately for an entire run.

e: run took me under 12 minutes of game time to complete with 0 gold, but I had to replace saves quite a lot. Lucky I kept a save at the start of The Laboratory as I had to go back in and find a good wand to kill Kolmi. My single spark bolt wasn't cutting it :)

Gromit fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Apr 24, 2024

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Is there a trick to getting the empty-wand-into-pheromone thing to work consistently? I did it for the first time earlier this week and it took so long to work that I was in the middle of drafting a post saying I couldn’t make it happen when it suddenly did, completely randomly. Now I can’t seem to make it happen at all.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Ariong posted:

Is there a trick to getting the empty-wand-into-pheromone thing to work consistently? I did it for the first time earlier this week and it took so long to work that I was in the middle of drafting a post saying I couldn’t make it happen when it suddenly did, completely randomly. Now I can’t seem to make it happen at all.

a lot of men have that problem

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Ariong posted:

I've only ever done it in the holy mountain, usually on the flat bit of rock at the far left. I've also kicked some masonry over to another piece there to make a small zone I could fill with a tiny amount of pheromone. It feels like it really wants a flat floor, so the wand can land evenly and not have a lot of it inside the terrain when it spins. But I've not done any sort of testing.

Current game sees me finding 5 hearts in the first zone and wand tinkering as a perk choice. I expect the fuckening will be devious.

e: The prophecy was fulfilled.

https://i.imgur.com/Q6MbjiV.mp4

Gromit fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Apr 26, 2024

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Tried to get it to work for like half an hour. I give up. :geno:

Ariong fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Apr 26, 2024

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Gromit posted:

I've only ever done it in the holy mountain, usually on the flat bit of rock at the far left. I've also kicked some masonry over to another piece there to make a small zone I could fill with a tiny amount of pheromone. It feels like it really wants a flat floor, so the wand can land evenly and not have a lot of it inside the terrain when it spins. But I've not done any sort of testing.

Current game sees me finding 5 hearts in the first zone and wand tinkering as a perk choice. I expect the fuckening will be devious.

e: The prophecy was fulfilled.

https://i.imgur.com/Q6MbjiV.mp4

lol you got turbodunked there, what a spray

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

madmatt112 posted:

lol you got turbodunked there, what a spray

Yeah, you'd think I'd learn by now not to antagonise the MinaGhost before I know what I'm dealing with. Exhibit A - posted over a year ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpgNcRsKIlQ

e: Shop is offering me a giga black hole always cast wand. It's bait, but tempting in a crazy way.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Gromit posted:

Yeah, you'd think I'd learn by now not to antagonise the MinaGhost before I know what I'm dealing with. Exhibit A - posted over a year ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpgNcRsKIlQ

e: Shop is offering me a giga black hole always cast wand. It's bait, but tempting in a crazy way.

you know what you must do

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Stoca Zola posted:

Yeah this happened to me after some family sharing/someone else logging in to my steam on my PC incident, and I ended up just wiping and starting again because the super old content I could recover from steam cloud was partially missing a lot of early/basic stuff and it was kind of nonsensical. If I ever get close to complete like my old file was, I'm going to back up my save00 just for my sanity's sake.

Thanks. After a long while of trying I did manage to get steam sync to reactivate and it had something from mid last year which at least had most things I cared about. The last offline save was from three years ago.

Steam sharing is likely the cause, thanks for letting me know about that.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I’ve been ambushed!

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

That was a heck of a double team.

I got quick-scoped when I should have been running for the exit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Try going east of the pyramid for something new!

(Apparently an addition from Beta but it's new to me and I have no idea what it's there for but it's neat)

---

Spawn with a mud potion. Sick.
Climb over the tree, grab the eyeball.
Go get essence of earth, cleanse it, become soil digging man.
Dig my way down to Overgrown Cavern.
Die instantly to spore mushroom ricocheting me into acid bubble.

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Apr 27, 2024