Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Climb to the top of the new thing and clean out some of the blood, maybe?

IIRC you can try using teleportation or some form of sustainable flight to go straight up from the new thing for something also new.

Try flying left or right from the also new thing for more also new things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Noita'd again:

Today I learned that the purple crystals in Temple of the Art shoot firebolts - and that my full rack of immunity doesn't prevent the projectile damage component from loving me over.

RIP

I had a homing AOE damage mist wand, and a critical stacked concentrated light minigun. All gone.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I picked up the perk that teleports you away if you take damage, then ended up in the Ancient Laboratory where I got set on fire which meant I couldn't use water to douse myself because I'd teleport away before the water hit me, and I couldn't move towards liquids because I'd teleport away before I could get to them. :negative:

The enemies trying to play hacky sack with my corpse didn't help! :gonk:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
teleportitis (and teleportitis dodge) are perks only slightly above the level of "no wand tinkering" in usefulness, unless you like bathing in lava, acid, or other fun liquids

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Yeah I feel like if teleportitis dodge A) didn’t proc on fire damage and B) couldn’t teleport you directly into a pool of lava then it would be only moderately useful, but those elements make it actively harmful.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
idk what the hell is happening but something like 6 or 7 out of 10 of my past new games have spawned worms fuckin EVERYWHERE. Half of the Mines were eaten in 2-3 of the runs and the current one had big worms in the mines and multiple big worms in the snowy depths. what the heck did I do?? Having worm blood before the Jungle is nice but it's getting a little bit silly right now

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Yeah, I had 2 or 3 games in a row with a lot of worm action, Weird.

I'm in a good spot right now in this game, and am thinking about taking it to a 33-orb run. I've not done any reroll breaking so have just standard perks, but feeling like it could work. I'd have to do an early Kolmi kill though, as I'm not up for building a trillion damage wand.
Will need to do some research to see what I need to do. I think you have to get to NG+ so that all the orbs spawn in the 2 parallels?

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down
https://i.imgur.com/897ozAF.mp4
They've evolved active camouflage

Also, I feel like these things have way more health than I remember. Would not have stuck around to fight if I expected it to take more than one shot.
https://i.imgur.com/zc1j2oy.mp4
They used to have low health even on nightmare so maybe they were updated at some point to have scaling health like everything else?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Gromit posted:

I'm in a good spot right now in this game, and am thinking about taking it to a 33-orb run. I've not done any reroll breaking so have just standard perks, but feeling like it could work. I'd have to do an early Kolmi kill though, as I'm not up for building a trillion damage wand.
Will need to do some research to see what I need to do. I think you have to get to NG+ so that all the orbs spawn in the 2 parallels?

Well, there goes that idea. Accidentally switched to my backpack wand instead of blackholes and turned myself into grass. I ignored my own rule of only storing modifier spells in the backpack wand and paid the ultimate price.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Noita: it was working well, until I turned myself into grass

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Gromit posted:

Well, there goes that idea. Accidentally switched to my backpack wand instead of blackholes and turned myself into grass. I ignored my own rule of only storing modifier spells in the backpack wand and paid the ultimate price.

it was a modifier spell, it just modified you into grass

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Stuff like that is why I never do storage wands unless I have a wand refresh

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Why is adding magic guard to this wand causing some of my shots to fly around all wacky?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

It hits them.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Angry Diplomat posted:

Stuff like that is why I never do storage wands unless I have a wand refresh
i negative-lifetime-cessation'd myself once last week :eng99:

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Weird, you’d think that would result in some shots going the opposite direction. I guess the magic guard things run into the sparks from the side.

I have another question about magic guard. Some configurations result in the shield appearing around the enemy I hit rather than myself. This doesn’t line up with the information on the wiki, which unequivocally states that casting the spell causes the guard to appear around the player. Why does this occur?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

𝔅𝔈 𝔑𝔒𝔗 𝔄𝔉ℜ𝔄ℑ𝔇

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Ariong posted:

I have another question about magic guard. Some configurations result in the shield appearing around the enemy I hit rather than myself. This doesn’t line up with the information on the wiki, which unequivocally states that casting the spell causes the guard to appear around the player. Why does this occur?

IIRC this is because when the guard spawns, it selects who to rotate around by finding the closest object with a specific tag. This is because when the spell was implemented there wasn't an easy way to tell the spell object the ID of the object that shot it (or possibly there was but I didn't know how to access it yet), so in order for both the player and enemies to be able to cast it without too many issues I made the spell do a lookup like that. There are a bunch of other spells of that kind too, I think.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Ariong posted:

𝔅𝔈 𝔑𝔒𝔗 𝔄𝔉ℜ𝔄ℑ𝔇

Now THAT is a healing wand!!

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
This is almost certainly just RNG confirmation bias but I feel like, at least on the beta branch, there's been a change to early level generation. I'm finding WAY more "interesting" wands, Minä ghosts, potions, etc. in the mines than I'm used to. Maybe that's the "balance changes" and "adjusted spell drop rates" in the patch notes? Either way, early floors definitely feel a little more rewarding to explore.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎
I think it might just be a roll of the dice; I had a bunch of runs yesterday that just couldn’t get started (no wands in the mines, no chainsaws or triggers anywhere, etc).

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Awww, had a GREAT start yesterday with melee immunity + tinker everywhere & a super solid main wand, tele wand, and lumi digging wand and then I decided to go do the bridge boss with a wand that didn’t fire fast enough & accidentally teleported directly into my own plasma cutters ;_;

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Hempuli posted:

IIRC this is because when the guard spawns, it selects who to rotate around by finding the closest object with a specific tag. This is because when the spell was implemented there wasn't an easy way to tell the spell object the ID of the object that shot it (or possibly there was but I didn't know how to access it yet), so in order for both the player and enemies to be able to cast it without too many issues I made the spell do a lookup like that. There are a bunch of other spells of that kind too, I think.

Neat. This lines up with the fact that the problem was mostly solved when I made the guard cast directly from the wand rather than a trigger spell, but even then I noticed that sometimes when an enemy was very close to me they would get the guard instead of me. I guess they were closer to the tip of my wand than I was.

It was hard to tell because at that point any time I started casting I became a big ball of opaque light due to the sheer amount of magic guards.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Ariong posted:

𝔅𝔈 𝔑𝔒𝔗 𝔄𝔉ℜ𝔄ℑ𝔇

hell yeah, let us know whether you get polymorphed or taken out by something that erases your entire health bar in one tick

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Clark Nova posted:

hell yeah, let us know whether you get polymorphed or taken out by something that erases your entire health bar in one tick

No, though there was one moment after that when I was fighting an enemy and I literally physically recoiled because my still-developing sense of game knowledge suddenly kicked in and told me the pools of pink fluid I had been fighting around and hovering over for like half a minute was some flavor of polymorphium.

I actually won the game for the first time on that run. Totally shredded the end boss. I still had an extra life in the bank, too! I’m glad for it because when I put the thing in the machine it said “killed by midas” and if I hadn’t had the extra life my thoughts would have been consumed by curiosity over what would have happened if I did have one.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and I didn’t keep the wand like that because I assumed that healing fields also heal enemies, and I didn’t really have a safe way to test it and the wiki didn’t say anything one way or another. So I ended up switching my offense to a different wand and keeping the healing one in my back pocket for when I needed it. Was that correct?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I believe the healing field can heal enemies, but it usually doesn't matter because it'll only affect enemies that are already Way Too Close to you (and ideally your wand should be able to out-damage any healing you're producing, if it's your main combat wand). However yeah, it's not super uncommon to keep a dedicated healing wand in the back pocket. I like to make a healing teleport wand, it's a really good "oh gently caress I have hosed Up" panic button and it lets you zoom through dug-out cursed rock without giving a gently caress

As for the midas effect, you technically can survive that using certain wonky methods, but IIRC there's not that much point in doing so since the game is over anyway.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
circle of vigour healing enemies is a side effect that typically doesn't matter at all outside of bosses

nothing quite like watching kolmi recover bazillions of hitpoints :v:

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Yeah, this was kind of a weird edge case where I was able to make a wand with ridiculous healing but couldn’t get my damage output all that inspiring.

Also, LENS FLARE!

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Check out this Mines wand :stare:

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
:stare: is right

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I’m experimenting with fungal shifting for the first time. So far I’ve turned:

Oil to Sima
Water to Sima
Blood to Sima

Jesus Type Wizard Beats

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled

Ariong posted:

I’m experimenting with fungal shifting for the first time. So far I’ve turned:

Oil to Sima
Water to Sima
Blood to Sima

Jesus Type Wizard Beats

It is vappu time, so not very surprised

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Letmebefrank posted:

It is vappu time, so not very surprised

I keep staring at this emerald tablet but it’s not translating!

Also LAVA TO SIMA BABEY!

EDIT: :wtf: How did this happen? I entered the holy mountain and immediately got the “YOU HAVE ANGERED THE GODS” message, then went forward and saw this. I definitely haven’t touched the worm crystal.

Ariong fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Apr 30, 2024

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

GOD DAMNIT. Of course this would happen during the wacky Sima run. Why would it happen during a normal run? No of course not, it’s the fun one where I sat around for half an hour setting up a crazy fungal shift that it all gets thrown right in the trash for no reason. I’m so so so so so bummed out and disappointed. :(

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
The things I hate about this game are constantly at war with the things I really like.

I still haven't won, but I've gone from "slow deaths of attrition" to "Something invariably kills me in one shot at a speed no human could possibly react to"

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Ariong posted:

EDIT: :wtf: How did this happen?

A worm did it. The crystal under the holy mountain is supposed to repel them but it is far from perfect

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down
Steve is a cheapskate and ordered all the crystals from wish.com

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Clark Nova posted:

A worm did it. The crystal under the holy mountain is supposed to repel them but it is far from perfect

Ugh! Worms seem to be very annoying and pointless. I feel the same way about them as I used to feel about the weird multicasts and modifers: that there’s a bizarre amount of emphasis placed onto them relative to what they add to the game. Worm-based perks, worm-based fluids and flasks, worm crystal, all kinds of bespoke mechanics in service of what seems for all the world to be a very run-of-the-mill enemy that apparently sometimes borks your run. I hope at some point something clicks and, like with the aforementioned weird multicasts and modifiers, I realize that there is a whole dimension to them I am not seeing that makes all this worm stuff totally worth dealing with.

dobbymoodge
Mar 8, 2005

Ariong posted:

Ugh! Worms seem to be very annoying and pointless. I feel the same way about them as I used to feel about the weird multicasts and modifers: that there’s a bizarre amount of emphasis placed onto them relative to what they add to the game. Worm-based perks, worm-based fluids and flasks, worm crystal, all kinds of bespoke mechanics in service of what seems for all the world to be a very run-of-the-mill enemy that apparently sometimes borks your run. I hope at some point something clicks and, like with the aforementioned weird multicasts and modifiers, I realize that there is a whole dimension to them I am not seeing that makes all this worm stuff totally worth dealing with.

Worm blood has some interesting alchemical uses and it's a tasty drink too. Worms also can enable crazy early game strategies. I just had a run where I was able to follow a worm tunnel to the coal pits, grab a bunch of heart upgrades there, climb back to the mines and then enter the holy mountain. I grabbed the heart and was able to complete coal pits with over 300 hp.

Worms are fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I've got pretty good at statue-kicking Steve but I'd still rather not as it's no guarantee, and you need to succeed in each mountain until your build is strong enough to kill him normally.

e: on worms: I like to have an empty flask on hand for worm blood, especially when you get to the jungle and want to keep an eye out for heart mages.