Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Gromit posted:

I've got pretty good at statue-kicking Steve but I'd still rather not as it's no guarantee, and you need to succeed in each mountain until your build is strong enough to kill him normally.

e: on worms: I like to have an empty flask on hand for worm blood, especially when you get to the jungle and want to keep an eye out for heart mages.

I've been waiting to kick him lately until I have a few decent wand bases or good potential to put one together before the next steve; I usually only collapse one or two before I can find a way to get out without triggering him.

Also big worms are rough when all you have is a starter wand with two spark bolts; then again early worm blood is absolutely fantastic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Ah, swapper mages, ruining my ridiculous homing plasma-orbit mist.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Clark Nova posted:

A worm did it. The crystal under the holy mountain is supposed to repel them but it is far from perfect

From my observations worms seem to be more likely to anger the gods if you haven't entered the temple yet, guessing it's because they can apparently dig through map chunks that haven't been fully loaded/generated so the crystal hasn't spawned in yet?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Does anyone know of a way to get the sound back when it invariably bugs out?

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
"Restart with enabled mods" should fix the sound issue temporarily, though admittedly it's just a faster version of quitting out, reopening the game and loading the save.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Anyone make a melee kicking run work? How do you do it? I've attempted a few times but things never panned out.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Welp. I have officially drown in the blood of my enemies. Which, while metal as hell, is deeply disappointing in that this was probably my best shot to actually score a regular win in this game where you die sometimes for no reason.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

DrSunshine posted:

Anyone make a melee kicking run work? How do you do it? I've attempted a few times but things never panned out.

Freeze-kicking works well on a ton of enemies, but if you come up against things that are immune to freezing you will be in trouble.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

I'd say this might count as spoilers but honestly no one is ever going to stumble on this poo poo by accident

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EowPFSc_jqI

the depths of this game astound me

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Oh snap, another naturally occurring precursor/midas run. Looks like some combo of Teleportation/Slime/Toxic Sludge/Blood/Weird Fungus, already have a bunch in Fungal Caves. Seed is 714747196 if anyone wants it; Tinker Everywhere on 2nd or 3rd Mountain, too

edit: aaaaand noitad myself with a combo of machine gun pollen wand + picking up toxic sludge to test the midas mix lol

idiotsavant fucked around with this message at 19:05 on May 1, 2024

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

AceClown posted:

I'd say this might count as spoilers but honestly no one is ever going to stumble on this poo poo by accident

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EowPFSc_jqI

the depths of this game astound me

between this and "touch (of) grass" i really wonder if this is just the developers saying "the eyes and cauldron have no deeper meaning and are just there to gently caress with you. it's over"

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I really want to like this game, but it has about 10% too many enemies and about 5% too little "interesting stuff"

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
ok.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
Sometimes, I'm forced to remember that the reason I think that the worm boss is really easy is because I usually only decide to fight it when I have melee immunity. Turns out, if you don't, then opening the egg from the top is a very bad idea.

e: If the game kept a separate statistic for "Losses after picking up the Salt and killing Kolmi," I'm pretty sure it would eclipse my wins. Any amount of EDR digging ability and I just can't help myself.

Red Minjo fucked around with this message at 01:58 on May 2, 2024

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

I am a slow learner. I had even wiki'd this guy before but forgot the important bits.

That was a cool wand though: lumi drill > long distance cast > lumi drill. I have seen long distance cast before but never really found a use for it until then.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Homing Unstable Crystals is hilarious - and counts as pacifism.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Wandering Orange posted:

That was a cool wand though: lumi drill > long distance cast > lumi drill. I have seen long distance cast before but never really found a use for it until then.

I really like long distance cast and I'm very happy to see it on the first couple floors. It's pretty handy for teleporting -- casting through dense rock/brickwork/etc. will reduce its effective distance but it does still work through them. Otherwise, yeah, great for offensive setups like yours. Splitting bolt is pretty sweet too early on and being able to kill guys through walls is huge.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Yeehaw!

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Zesty posted:

Yeehaw!

Would you still love me if I was a worm?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
"Worm Rider" perk that makes you immune to worm melee but they pull you with them when you touch them

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

"Worm Rider" perk that makes you immune to worm melee but they pull you with them when you touch them

Achievement:

"They shall know your ways as if born to them" - Ride every type of worm.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Including the Dragon, Tiny, and the ghost worms.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Veryslightlymad posted:

I really want to like this game, but it has about 10% too many enemies and about 5% too little "interesting stuff"

There’s a ridiculous amount of interesting stuff & esoteric depth, but it’s very much make-your-own-fun/decide how you want to challenge yourself once you beat the game “normally”

And the worst enemy in Noita is yourself, the whole time

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
if you don't like something about noita there is almost certainly a mod that changes whatever it is

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Zamujasa posted:

if you don't like something about noita there is almost certainly a mod that changes whatever it is

mod that decreases enemy spawn rate 10% but makes player ghosts 5% more likely

e: this joke sucks because enabling mods disables player ghosts :negative:

Clark Nova fucked around with this message at 22:40 on May 2, 2024

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Found an insane coal pits wand -- this wasn't even from Fungal Caverns! Skipped that poo poo entirely and hauled rear end to the Holy Mountain when I got it. Didn't even have anything to throw in there other than some bouncing bursts, but it made the snowfield Magical Temple a joke and I picked up the spells there to make this bad boy.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Clark Nova posted:

that's definitely the one thing i hate about this game, mods disabling cheevos and fun poo poo like that. there are some good mods that make the early game more interesting (random wands in the mines instead of mostly premade ones, increasing the spawnrates of the unique setpieces and poo poo) but :negative:

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Oh look, the wand my ghost will use on me within 10 milliseconds of catching sight of me.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

I died to that wand a few runs ago.
Just meandering through fungal cavern and suddenly got A-10 Warthog Strafed from above. Never even saw the ghost. Just BRRRRT DEAD

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
I’ve been pretty lucky with my ghosts lately and they’ve all been carrying early run wands and not later WMD wands

eszett engma
May 7, 2013
Challenge idea:
clear out your bones folder
make an infinite cessation wand
die
(duplicate the bone file? idk)
find a ghost carrying the infinite cessation wand
record the ghost deleting itself

eszett engma fucked around with this message at 01:16 on May 3, 2024

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Can someone explain this phenomenon? I’ve seen it happen a few times but just got killed by it for the first time.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

When you turn acid into ambrosia

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Ariong posted:

Can someone explain this phenomenon? I’ve seen it happen a few times but just got killed by it for the first time.

https://i.imgur.com/RX0y43c.mp4

it looks it may have been a leaky corpse. sometimes when a mob dies some pixel(s) of its corpse will become stuck in some way where it constantly generates the corpse's "blood"

you see it a lot with steve, where bone dust will sometimes just rise up like a mountain from some bit of his body

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Particles up-warping is very common. When something wants to spawn in the world and the space above it is full, it will sometimes keep looking straight up until it sees a free space to appear in. That's why you will see gold appear on the other side of a platform to where a creature dies. It's very common with fluids and why you avoid standing over the corpses of things that leak lava/acid/toxic. You can use it to your advantage by spraying water through terrain onto one of those fire guys in the first area to hurt or kill them.

I was just in WandMart looking for a healing spell (no luck) and found my ghost there, woefully underpowered with a starter wand. I've never seen it outside of the main path down before.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Zamujasa posted:

it looks it may have been a leaky corpse. sometimes when a mob dies some pixel(s) of its corpse will become stuck in some way where it constantly generates the corpse's "blood"

you see it a lot with steve, where bone dust will sometimes just rise up like a mountain from some bit of his body

Oh, I see! I knew that this particular enemy bleeds lava but it didn’t occur to me that it would continue to do so after death. And it’s no wonder it happened here, because in that clip I killed it with sawblades. Thank you!

Gromit posted:

Particles up-warping is very common. When something wants to spawn in the world and the space above it is full, it will sometimes keep looking straight up until it sees a free space to appear in. That's why you will see gold appear on the other side of a platform to where a creature dies. It's very common with fluids and why you avoid standing over the corpses of things that leak lava/acid/toxic. You can use it to your advantage by spraying water through terrain onto one of those fire guys in the first area to hurt or kill them.

I was just in WandMart looking for a healing spell (no luck) and found my ghost there, woefully underpowered with a starter wand. I've never seen it outside of the main path down before.

I’m familiar with that phenomenon (mostly from losing gold nuggets to it!!!) but that isn’t what happened in this case. The place where I died there is exactly where the lava-bleeding devil guy died.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Yes, that's the same thing. In this case the corpse is still generating lava and has nowhere to go, so it up-warps into the space you are standing in.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
it's more that the pixels of the corpse are simply invisible or stuck and it probably shouldn't be generating 500 pixels of lava as a single pixel of lava-person well after it should have stopped

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

eszett engma posted:

Challenge idea:
clear out your bones folder
make an infinite cessation wand
die
(duplicate the bone file? idk)
find a ghost carrying the infinite cessation wand
record the ghost deleting itself

enemies that pick up a wand with the cessation spell on it won't fire it, it's been tested as part of the secret solving

Clark Nova posted:

Ghosts will still spawn on a modded run, it's just that if you die on a modded run it won't write your wand details to the bones file

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

So, when finding the new Touch of Gold spell and wanting to cast it so it appears on your progress list, remember that when your spark bolt with trigger is the double-trigger version, it needs to be at the end of the payload, not by itself at the front. Argh!

I've been grass and now gold so I assume the next one will turn me into a gas of some sort.