Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
First win, had a sweetheart seed where I found TP, chainsaw, add mana, and energy orb early plus the shield perk on the first level & good perks after. I managed to put together a baby firehose with spark trigger by the time I got to the Hiisi base & once I got to the jungle it was a fullblown luminous drill-spark-energy orb-triple shot firehose that obliterated anything on the screen, including most, if not all of the terrain. Dragon was a 2 second kill and the main difficulty of the end boss was accidentally getting thrown out of the lava arena by my wand knockback & having to wait for the lava to drain. feels good man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
I've beaten the game in the standard way a few times now; what's the next step? start collecting more orbs for higher orb runs?

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

KillHour posted:

Do you want spoilers or do you want to discover stuff on your own? How much do you know?

ive seen a bit; i don't know the details but i know there are the sun quests to do, there's the alchemist, there's the bridge boss & pyramid boss to try... just make some good wands and go dig all over the map?

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
I'm getting back on the Noita bus. I've beaten the game before a few times (standard win) & wrt bosses I've done Pyramid boss, Dragon and the Alchemist. I assume for vanilla progress I should just start working on the pillar achievements, yeah? Any unlocks I should look into getting while doing so? Master of Masters is next on my list to unlock their spells, any other bosses or quests I should look at running first?

Also had my first heart mimic drop out of a treasure chest and had my first spontaneous draught of midas run (I think it was like blood, water or toxic waste, and either soil or rock) so it's been pretty lucky.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Finished the Master of Masters & door bosses, now I need to do Lake boss, friend boss, & I think a few of the esoteric ones & then I guess start working on my sun & moon quests

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

ZeusCannon posted:

I wish i was good enough to unlock anything in this game

Learn how to make decent wands and then figure out how to collect resources to start building up to more difficult areas. Usually that’s something like finding something to dig through mines & snowy depths, getting something set up so you can grab some wands/potions/etc from fungal caves, being comfortable figuring a way out of the holy mountain (tp wand, return trigger wand, tp/unstable tp pot, digging out & killing Steve, etc) and then using your collected resources to either build a machine gun wand (chainsaw/dbl spell/spark bolt as the classic) or a payload wand (trigger spell into multispell w/ a bunch of projectiles and so forth).

Once you have a decent wand started it’s easy enough to get your first basic win, and then you can start learning how to build wands to defeat the various bosses and get an idea of what order you can beat them in depending on what spells you find. For example something like spark trigger - homing - plasma whatever generally obliterates both Pyramid boss and Bridge boss, and a good machine gun wand murders the Dragon just fine. That gets you better wands and more spells to go do more stuff.

Along the way you’ll figure out stuff to make your life easier like the heart mage trick, or various different ways you can heal, etc etc that make it easier and easier to survive

Edit: pro tip: if you don’t find any good wands on the first level your bomb wand with a basic spark bolt or spitter bolt works great

idiotsavant fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Oct 30, 2023

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
if you can get to the Jungle you can definitely put some wands together that can kill bosses and let you wander around the eastern fungal caverns underneath the scales (aka the wand shop), and pyramid boss + alchemist + east fungal caves will let you do stuff like build endless black hole wands that make zones like the vault easy cause you just blast out some accelerated black holes and cut a tunnel through half the level at once

east fungal caves are definitely dangerous but if you have a good machine gun wand and you take it slow theyre a fantastic spot to go upgrade your wands & find some decent spells

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Yeah if you’re having trouble in the Snowy Depths a) start doing more Fungal Caves so you can build a decent wand and b) get used to finding ways in & out of the Holy Mountain & killing Steve with either the statue or a tablet so you can save at least one mountain for editing

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Ciaphas posted:

[*]how the hell do y'all manage "inventory" without Tinker With Wands Everywhere enabled, be it by mod or perk? There's so much useful-in-future spells and other crap laying around everywhere that I've forgotten already, and I've only gone as deep as the jungle

it's work to get it and its more of a long run thing but Master of Masters drops a Tinker Everywhere rock you can carry around if you can't find the perk

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
just got a pro Noita guide video in my youtube recs and dang its good https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMx6fPyCbCI

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Noita: I have never been more scared of my own doo-doo

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
speaking of which, spark trigger/orbit origin/plasma cross wand is go, time to go fight bosses and obliterate myself when i accidentally clip a pixel that's too close

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Last time I did Vampirism I just put chainsaws on everything & filled up every zone with blood

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
My usual pattern is fungal caves to get a good wand or two started, and usually by Jungle I have something to start killing bosses - bridge, pyramid, dragon. If not, or if I’m still putting some wands together then I go browse wands in the fungal altar zone next to the pyramid and then I’m usually set to do whatever

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Gromit posted:

I wish vampirism scaled more as you get more HP. Great at first, but quickly becomes pretty pointless.

Yeah even with like 150-200 hp I still took way too much time sawing up corpses & drinking blood. A full blood potion heals like 75 hp or something. It's not terrible as an early crutch to get you past the start and into some good wands but falls off pretty quick after that

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Gromit posted:

Just finished a run and didn't find a single teleport spell. Really frustrating as I was well kitted-out but just couldn't be bothered stretching out the game when I can't zip about.

Not even in fungal altar? I feel like that’s the first go-to spot when you’re looking for spells/wands to go long

Edit: current run gave me pingpong + lumi drill + drilling bolt for the delay time on a 100 mana/300 recharge wand by the end of fungal caverns/coal pits so I’m basically set for this run lol

Just gotta find a trigger & some plasma spells now so I can start hunting bosses

idiotsavant fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Apr 15, 2024

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
It's actually pretty easy to get to; for me it's more about what I'm looking to do with the run and if I have a decent perk/wand setup going already

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Zamujasa posted:

* add mana + add mana + chainsaw
* chainsaw
* double spell
- * blood
- * light + add trigger (piercing + m. eater + homing + crit + bloody crit + damage plus + proj. damage area + accel. shot + speedup) -> spark bolt
- - * thunder
* triple spell
- * (wrapping) add mana + add mana + chainsaw
- * chainsaw

double spell was casting both spells and finishing; the next cast fired off triple spell, which starts from the beginning and reloads again

Yeah you’re not actually wrapping/casting correctly in that wand, and with all the add mana delay and everything else you basically don’t have a well-structured machine gun wand. The two ways of doing it are either reduce both cast delay & recharge to effectively 0 by stacking on enough chainsaws/lumi drills/glimmers/etc, or to link everything to cast as one spell (usually a trigger with a bunch of double/triple/quads stacked up correctly in it) & then wrapping it all to a lumi drill/chainsaw

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Ciaphas posted:

i don't think i've seen mentioned yet that the Spells/cast not being 1 on the wand in question (e: from last page :doh:) is probably complicating things, too. That stat line works almost-but-not-quite the same as the double, triple, etc. modifier spells

Yeah multicast wands plus trigger spells gets really confusing really fast and makes the end result hard to predict.

Two things for beginner wand builders: when you fire your wand in the Holy Mountain there’s a test board by the shop that will show the last full loop of spells your wand fired in the order that they fired, and you can use that to troubleshoot or to figure out exactly what your wand is doing

Secondly, you can use the statues at either end of the holy mountain for target practice to test damage - they’ll show damage numbers so you can see if your payload wand is working right or if it needs tweaking. Just be aware that they’re durable but still destructible, so testing lumi drills and drilling bolts might not work for long

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Alchemic precursor run! Found some by the Fungal Altar and then more in the Jungle - looks like Toxic Sludge, Teleportatium, and maybe soil?? Found a wand full of heal spells; now I just need to go find the boomerang wand that was somewhere by Fungal Altar & kill Alchemist, then maybe set something up for mestari in case I can't find a tinker everywhere perk

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
You can also bottle tele by dropping an empty bottle in it & then picking it back up, tho the pickup can be tricky. Also starting tip if you don’t start with water: if you empty/drink your flask you can basically always scrape up a squirt of water from the shallow bit at the mine entrance if you crouch down to do it, and a pixel is enough to change sludge into a whole pool of water.

Plus as mentioned there are plenty of flasks that are really useful early on. Gunpowder and acid for halfass digging, conc mana to potentially get through steel, teleportatium or unstable tele to get out of the mountain & activate the hourglass, etc etc.

Just finished my first 11-orb uh pure run I think? Started out the kolmi fight with a bouncing ball/heavy shot/random thrice wand and that didn’t go well - the kickback knocked me all over and the equivalent of 4 heavy shots means half the time the ball doesn’t even spawn lol. I was at 18 hp at one point (from like 3.5k at full) and then I ran the gently caress away to grab a full heal and slap the heavy shots back on my +++dmg homing music note machine gun wand and pretty much deleted him in 10 seconds

Even then I almost screwed up by taking the portal into the work but dug my way back out with freezing black holes, sheesh. Next up I guess I’ll do essences and then maybe start thinking about sun/moon/33+ orb achievements

Edit: I should have posted the seed; i had a pingpong lumi drill + small tele wand by the coal pits AND my second run with naturally occurring alchemical precursor - looked like toxic sludge + tele + soil. And I had about 6-700 hp just from hearts from going down to hiisi & then running around in Fungal Altar. Pretty ridiculous one.

idiotsavant fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Apr 21, 2024

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

madmatt112 posted:

lol I have zero clue what that thing was. Excellent.

Looks like some rock + accelerate + homing or rotates towards enemies at base

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

DarkDobe posted:

Is it normal for swapper mages to swap BEFORE the explosive component of a magic missile?
Like I shot the dude - the missile hit him, damaged him, then I swapped places and took a huge chunk from what I assume is the explosion.
Because I just deleted myself with that and it absolutely enraged me.

----

I'm also curious of how certain explosive attacks actually do damage - namely Thunder Charge that Ukko shoots - on paper it lists 37.5 electric and 45 explosive - but I've been oneshotted by Ukko at over 150 HP before, so there's gotta be something else going on?

They swap on damage so yes, using explosive trigger wands against them is a very bad idea

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

DarkDobe posted:

It was just a magic missile, though. Really confused me when it happened.

it does projectile damage + explosion damage, basically the missile projectile hits and damages the mage, the mage swaps you, and then the explosion happens and blows you up. If you look close a lot of explosive spells have similar functionality - a projectile followed by an explosion

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
idk what the hell is happening but something like 6 or 7 out of 10 of my past new games have spawned worms fuckin EVERYWHERE. Half of the Mines were eaten in 2-3 of the runs and the current one had big worms in the mines and multiple big worms in the snowy depths. what the heck did I do?? Having worm blood before the Jungle is nice but it's getting a little bit silly right now

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Awww, had a GREAT start yesterday with melee immunity + tinker everywhere & a super solid main wand, tele wand, and lumi digging wand and then I decided to go do the bridge boss with a wand that didn’t fire fast enough & accidentally teleported directly into my own plasma cutters ;_;

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Gromit posted:

I've got pretty good at statue-kicking Steve but I'd still rather not as it's no guarantee, and you need to succeed in each mountain until your build is strong enough to kill him normally.

e: on worms: I like to have an empty flask on hand for worm blood, especially when you get to the jungle and want to keep an eye out for heart mages.

I've been waiting to kick him lately until I have a few decent wand bases or good potential to put one together before the next steve; I usually only collapse one or two before I can find a way to get out without triggering him.

Also big worms are rough when all you have is a starter wand with two spark bolts; then again early worm blood is absolutely fantastic

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Oh snap, another naturally occurring precursor/midas run. Looks like some combo of Teleportation/Slime/Toxic Sludge/Blood/Weird Fungus, already have a bunch in Fungal Caves. Seed is 714747196 if anyone wants it; Tinker Everywhere on 2nd or 3rd Mountain, too

edit: aaaaand noitad myself with a combo of machine gun pollen wand + picking up toxic sludge to test the midas mix lol

idiotsavant fucked around with this message at 19:05 on May 1, 2024

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Veryslightlymad posted:

I really want to like this game, but it has about 10% too many enemies and about 5% too little "interesting stuff"

There’s a ridiculous amount of interesting stuff & esoteric depth, but it’s very much make-your-own-fun/decide how you want to challenge yourself once you beat the game “normally”

And the worst enemy in Noita is yourself, the whole time

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
I’ve been pretty lucky with my ghosts lately and they’ve all been carrying early run wands and not later WMD wands

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
Current run started off so-so, forced down a level once or twice, and then I found an always-cast circle of vigour wand in hiisi base lol

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
cause you instagib bridge boss + your cpu with it??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
ideally you spray yourself with some ambrosia as well; the heart mage attack also does a small amount of damage and ambrosia lets you avoid losing that extra health or dying when you're low hp from the heart mage