Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
The sawblade gif has me playing this again.

Even with guides I can't seem to find an idea of what my objective is. I assume the default one is just "keep descending until you kill a big boss and the credits roll?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I actually hate how dark this game is. It may as well be unplayable with even a tiny bit of glare.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I think I came very close to getting a win. Was using an always ping-pong wand with about 7 luminous drills and I took the boomerang perk, so I had a doom laser that could kill almost anything through walls. Unfortunately, I got too close to a couple too many explosives.

I've started regularly being able to reach the Jungle, which is nice. I've found I am very willing to run the various saw weapons. It's been a while before the saw itself was the thing that killed me. Haven't been able to make too many Doom wands, but I have a much better idea of what all makes a wand any good.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Is there a way outside the perk or having an always cast wand to get more or infinite casts on limited spells?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I'm gonna go ahead and assume you mean in the darkness. I've yet to have a wand that can let me see at that point in the game, and when I have, I haven't found anything better than my starter weapon. Alas.

Edit
Unless you mean the guy across the Lava.. That one I might be able to take if I can find a decent wand.

Still, it's not really necessary. Most of the limited spells seem like they need perks to not, uh, instantly kill myself with if I spam them...

Another question: is it possible to not be damaged by plasma, somehow? I really like the two plasma weapons, but have this pesky habit of forgetting I can't fire downward. Much more likely to cause my demise that way than with a saw.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Angry Diplomat posted:

I've noticed that physics objects moving really, really fast will sometimes pass through enemies without hitting them. Had the same experience with an air-powered rock launcher wand I put together. It absolutely hosed anything I hit with it, but sometimes it just... didn't hit, and I'd watch in confusion as the rock sailed harmlessly through its target.

My favorite randomly found wand was one that cast four rocks at the same time, but on a run where I had the perk that makes many spells unlimited. I'd just dig a hole to wherever, and spam about 30 rocks below me, and drop.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
When I first got the game, I had a wand that I was using which had a water trail and I'd just drown everything and then dig my way out.

I was eventually killed by the glue guys trapping me underwater. Universal solvent my rear end.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
How good is "just using fire/acid" on guys? Does the wiki have any info on resistances?

I find that I am very game for using deadly horror weapons, because I have gotten good at dodging my own poo poo. I die way, way more often to enemy fire.

But I don't know how good dangerous weapons actually are. Yesterday I made a wand that shot a spark bolt with timer, created a giant wave of oil, and then simultaneously cast firebolt at the same time as my spark bolt, so the oil spawned on top of it and created an enormous wave of fire.

Since I had to book it every time I cast, I don't actually know fast it actually killed things.

What works on robots/metal enemies? They seem to resist acid, fire, and saws.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Ah, the ones I haven't gotten good at dodging. Well, poop.

Although, I assume the strategy I was using for my Acid gun would also work just fine with a big lightning attack.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

AceClown posted:

Fire doesn't actually do much, if any, damage to enemies.

What it does do it make them panic and forget about trying to murder you.

Huh. Well, still a pretty good "oh poo poo" button. I thought it killed a lot of the regular rear end organic enemies, albeit somewhat slowly.

Acid definitely worked on the normal guys. A single spark bolt with trigger + acid ball was killing even the great big guys in one hit.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
So to keep it relevant, I need the stuff that works with being on fire. I was hoping the oil helped..

Well, it was fun and did seem to stop me from being chased. Ah, well.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I am very happy to confidently use saw blade wands.

Lightning, now.... Less so.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

uPen posted:

It appeared because you killed more than 30 innocents (fish/sheep etc.) I have no idea how you’re supposed to fight it, the only time I killed it I had infinite healing, saving grace and ambrosia and just outlasted it trying to instagib me.

Does that include frogs? Because those fuckers are legitimately scarier than anything on the first couple of floors and I kinda need to kill them.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Yes.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I will say that sometimes the game doesn't properly display damage on trigger spells, too. I'm still pretty new, but I had one that was spark bolt with trigger, some triple effect, and then three acid ball thingies.

The damage readout was always really low, but every organic I hit with that thing died.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Am I to right to guess that a higher spells per cast wand is more of a "Drop the zaniest cluster of poo poo" wand? I'm not sure that I would want those built like machine guns.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
The things I hate about this game are constantly at war with the things I really like.

I still haven't won, but I've gone from "slow deaths of attrition" to "Something invariably kills me in one shot at a speed no human could possibly react to"

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Does anyone know of a way to get the sound back when it invariably bugs out?

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Welp. I have officially drown in the blood of my enemies. Which, while metal as hell, is deeply disappointing in that this was probably my best shot to actually score a regular win in this game where you die sometimes for no reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I really want to like this game, but it has about 10% too many enemies and about 5% too little "interesting stuff"