Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
*rolls ankle* *gains 15lbs* *apologizes to TFLC* *rolls ankle*...
The complete (?) lack of healing outside the holy mountain and specific perks hurts - getting hit with acid or fire can be 50% of your health right there without a convenient pool of water.

Also, has anyone figured out the specifics of how the spell types and wand slots interact? It seems like they mostly go left to right then repeat, with modifiers effecting the next spell in the slot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
I had a pretty fun combo where I had a delayed spark spell, then a pentagram splitter and 5 saw blades, with the homing and glass cannon perk. I could clear out huge rooms in one or two volleys with homing saw blades bouncing everywhere and melting everything.

Unfortunately, everything pretty quickly included myself when I had a bad bounce kick a blade straight back in my face.

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
What if instead of having edit wands everywhere, you could only strip spells out of wands into your sorry inventory and discard from inventory outside of the holy mountains? That avoids the lengthy pauses to resume wands all the time, but still let's you grab the one or too useful spells off a crazy shuttle want without having it all the way with you.

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
I had basically that wand, except with a triple cast on the bouncy green orb spell instead. It was hilarious and maybe a touch over powered - I could fill an entire room with bouncing fields of death before I even went around the corner. It melted almost everything all the way through the temple.

The big green crawly spiders didn't care too much since they only take 1 dmg from it each tick, but a backup quad lightning handled that nicely. The combo carried me all the way through into my first win, subbing in a 0 cast speed/0 recharge speed concentrated light wand to melt through the boss.

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
Along the lines of that big Octopus fucker, what are the other enemies that pop up that get top priority and/or are run enders? For me the list goes something like:

- Lightning Elementals. You really can't let these guys get a shot off if they're anywhere near you and you don't have relevant immunities. I'll ignore entire sections of the level if they pop up and I have any kind of alternative path.

- Darkness + Teleport wizards. Either of these can easily be a run-ender if they hit you once, and their shots are fast and accurate. They also have enough health that they're relatively hard to kill quickly if you run into them in the fungal caverns.

- Big green spider things. I'm not sure I've ever actually been hit by one of them, but they move incredibly fast once they spot you and they seem to take really reduced damage from most normal attacks. Lightning bolt wands are a must imo by the time you hit the jungle, solely to deal with these guys. They also tend to eat their way up into the holy mountain and piss off the gods if the worms haven't managed yet.

- Slimeball spitter blobs. Mostly just annoying, but they're around for basically the entire game and they shoot fast, accurate, and cover everything in toxic goop. They also have enough life that it's really hard to take them down before they manage to tag you once or twice and toxify everything nearby.

- Fire bee nests. So many bees, so much lava, so much health. They're another "do I REALLY need to go this way?" discovery.

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
If I manage to make it to the vaults, I've usually cobbled something together that can take down most enemies really quickly, which might or might not be a pile of lightning bolts shoved into some dual/triple casts. The assassin bots, icer bots etc. all have to get close to damage you, which really shouldn't be happening at that point unless you run into them on a blind corner.

The sheer damage of lightning bolts does make explosion immunity the highest priority perk for me in general, since without it I'll inevitably blow myself up hitting a lamp or something with my pile o' lightning blasts.

Funnily enough, electricity immunity isn't nearly as important for actual use of lightning (as long are you're careful to never fire at a steel surface you're near, and never scroll through your wands if you're submerged). Lightning bolts aren't the strongest possible spell in the game, but their relatively low mana cost and high damage make them always useful.

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

I gather since the high alchemist didn't drop Wand Refresh I've got to try to beat up the... master of masters, I think it was... and that they have blood orbs that I imagine make my :torgue:wand seem like a bad idea

So here's my current inventory; anyone see any changes i could make to be more killy/less likely to annihilate myself repeatedly on reprisal damage?

Just take off the explosion and scatter entirely and move the trigger spark bolt to the other side of the modifiers. Assuming that that's a 0 cast/refresh setup, that should give you a very accurate and damaging-enough blaster that you can use to snipe out the orbs (they only have like 500 life). Once they're down you can swap back in the explosion quickly if you need more oomph to take down the main boss body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
Ugh, just lost a strong run - I was wrapping up a few things, had 6 orbs and was running down a few secrets when I jumped into the lake and accidentally switched to a wand that I'd apparently switched an electric charge onto at some point. Even with 600+ life I was still dead before I could process what was happening and switch to something else since I was thought I was totally safe.

Noita'd yet again...