Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Where's the best place for Noita bug reports? I'm playing the beta, I managed to get perk lottery at the first Holy Mountain and it let me pick extra perks. In the second Holy Mountain I couldn't pick up the health or anything, although I noticed I had a free inventory slot which was invisibly holding the perk lottery perk. I threw it on the floor, and the slot filled in turn with the other two extra perks I had, and then once the inventory was truly empty I was able to pick up the health. Having a full inventory wouldn't normally stop you from getting the health up so there's something double weird going on. Just thought anyone else who came across the bug would like to know you can keep playing if you throw your invisible perks on the floor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Just got my first win after over 300 games and 185 hours played. I managed to get this wand together just before Hiisi base and I think I tweaked it to get more shots just before the Jungle.

And how it plays:

15 shots, each doing 59 damage (5 damage + 44 from heavy shot, and 10 from damage plus). The chaotic path cancels out the speed loss from heavy shot, and I have the homing perk which cancels out the inaccuracy from chaotic shot. The wand itself had always cast explosive shots (actually, no idea how much extra damage this added), and I had explosion immunity so I could use this wand anywhere, with care. I didn't really need to use anything else for the rest of the game although my back up wand cast split shots with lightning arc as something to toss behind me while fleeing.

I realised too late I had enough perks to explore the rest of the world fairly easily, but I'd trapped myself too low and couldn't find a way back up. And I finished the game with more gold than I had from the time I used a mod to get the midas formula!

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I don't know why these spells were added but I'm having fun just the same

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4msNQyKyOdg

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Part of the joy of launching 5 spinning sawblades rapidfire out of your wand is managing NOT to kill yourself. I'd be sad if that element of risk was taken away. Luckily there are plenty of spells to choose from and you don't have to saw your own head off if you don't want to.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Check out LetsSufferTogether on youtube/twitch for a dude who plays with controller and is pretty consistent at getting wins, does speedruns and has completed a 31 orb boss kill. It seems doable and he's pretty accurate at kicking stuff too.

I've been having a lot of fun with the alchemy mods - I've got extra alchemy, random alchemy and the materials randomizer so every game is a different crazy mess. One game I'd get a kill, the gold would dissolve in the acid which the guys had instead of blood, and a poison cloud would poof out. But the midas formula kept naturally forming so getting gold was still possible. Another game I found a pool of naturally occuring lively concoction so I drank both the potions I had so I could scoop it up. But this caused some side effects...

https://i.imgur.com/4eOGYbH.mp4

I've been granted unpredictable explosive farts, one of which knocked me into the lava (but thanks to randomized materials it's only worm attractant). The gas that comes out with each fart seems to cause berserk too. I thought this game had promise but one of my farts damaged the first Holy Mountain and even with berserk I couldn't handle Steve, he buried me in purple ash and I drowned.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

The one year anniversary event celebrating the games early access release has been going on today on Twitch: https://twitch.tv/nollagames

They've been giving away game keys on and off all day and cycling through various Noita players doing different speed runs, challenge runs, exploration runs, mod showcases and so on if any one is interested.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I nearly didn't die!

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/OrneryImmaterialKiskadee-mobile.mp4

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Might be worth trying turning off steam cloud saves or whatever that is called, that's something that triggers when you close a game.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I must have been so lucky - I saw a few green shots come from that way so blasted in that direction with my fire spray wand, by the time I got over there the area was empty but there were some explosions going on in the far east wall. I think that's where it ended up somehow, trapped, letting me get back up through the chasm to do the rest of the run unmolested. It definitely didn't spawn in the wall to start with or I wouldn't have seen incoming fire.

I got my first win last year before the upgraded boss, then since then only 2 or 3 wins so I was very proud to get a win in 1.0 already! So now I feel kind of bad that I was "helped" by a glitch, but eh I'll take it.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

This may not be the game for you, friend.

Conversely, there are many mods available to tweak the experience so you can play the game in a way that better suits you. You can set it to start the game with the Peace with the Gods perk using Goki's Things to create a starter load out for example. There are so many ways to play and enjoy the game.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

CodfishCartographer posted:

Got a link to the Peace with the Gods perk? Had yet another run ruined by it, this time after naively passing up Peace with the Gods in favor of Permanent Shield.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1975079109

Goki's things adds a ton of stuff but the best part is you can turn it all off except for the parts you want. If you edit the load outs so that one starts with that perk, then disable all the other load outs, that should work. I haven't checked if Goki's is up to date with 1.0 yet to be honest but some of the other mods I was using just worked and Goki is a very active dev so I felt like it was a safe assumption.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I think it's easy to get bogged down trying to "finish" each zone before moving on and that's not really necessary most of the time. Probably one of the most important early game tips is to remember to use terrain for cover and environmental things to help you deal more damage when your wand is still a bit underpowered, such as using water on fire enemies, using typical rogue-like doorway/corridor/pinch point tactics to control where you can be attacked from, ducking into cover to avoid being hit, kicking and throwing items for physics damage which is much higher than wand damage at early levels. I go through the mines usually with a couple of goals in mind before I move on - get "enough" gold, I'd say 400 is plenty to start with, find a fast wand (the yellow or green shuffle wands are fine for this and there's a rarer red one now too), find an improved no-shuffle wand as an upgrade to the starter blue wand, grab the tablet. If I get anything better than that it's a bonus but if my health hits 25 I'll head to the exit regardless of how many goals I've hit. Loading up a fast wand with cheap spells can spam out a ton of damage, or alternatively a slow but steady stream of heavier hitting spells such as energy sphere or magic arrow are fine too. Even if you don't find a good fast wand you can get a bit of mileage out of spark bolt on the starter red wand.

Going into the second level I like having one main shooter, and either a method to dig or a method to bomb areas for gold collection. Optimally a teleport or a trigger+return is a good thing to have here as a third wand as it means you can enter and leave the holy mountain and edit your wands even if you don't have the perk. I like leaving the second level with at least 1000 gold or at least a couple of wand upgrades. Once I've got that much gold I am fine with tossing the digger/bomb wand for a better wand if I find one so it's possible to leave with 3 wand/spell upgrades. If the main part of the coal pits doesn't have decent wands, going left to the fungal caverns should find a significant wand upgrade, both in number of slots and amount of mana. There are usually good potions like ambrosia or invisibility around too. If you can go back and edit wands to make something even better it's worth doing so here. These two first levels are critical to surviving the third level since the difficulty really jumps. If you're really underpowered it is possible to sneak around while invisible and throw tablets for stealth kills, as long as you don't get stained by anything else. Again going back and updating your wands if you can is very important, and just racing to the bottom of the ice level and hoping for something decent in the third shop is fine too.

OwlFancier I don't want to tell you you're playing the game wrong but if you aren't enjoying it maybe something like the mod that makes the heart upgrades heal your health, or the mod that makes enemies sometimes drop health power ups might make this more survivable and enjoyable for you (assuming either work with 1.0). I'm honestly garbage at action type games and still find myself doing okay at this one - there's a lot more going on than just the journey from top to bottom and I really want you to see more of the game and get the same fun out of it that I do.

Edit to add: throwing the tablet is REALLY good damage and a skill worth improving. I've seen someone finish the early access version of the game purely on tablet throws and kicks. God tier wands are not necessary.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I jump with space because I'm used to that in other games, and I switched kick to W because my finger's right there so I might as well use it for something. I've heard of people putting kick or throw on extra mouse buttons too. I put the wand I'm using the most right next to potions/items, then scrollwheel between wand and my most used item (water flask or tablet), and my wands go from right to left with most dangerous and explosive at far left which really helps to avoid self explosions. My stubby fingers can't reach the number keys fast enough so I rely on scrolling which in the heat of battle is sometimes not very accurate.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Polymorphine seems like a real dud for a starter potion but it is useful as a way to get out of holy mountain without triggering the collapse, if you don't find a teleport spell as an alternative way out, which means you can come back and edit wands mid level.
If a run isn't going that well this can really increase survivability if you can successfully pull it off.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

gently caress offffff
I haven't played for a couple of days but this death spray has made me feel the murder urge once more.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Rumour has it that with certain builds a one orb boss is easier to damage than a zero orb boss, if you can get a piercing damage over time combination he holds on to the projectile and accumulates a lot more damage than he would have otherwise. Haven't tested it myself but I think I've seen it done, if I correctly understood what was happening.

In addition to the chain gun spam wand and trigger wand archetypes I'd like to add pingpong luminous drill and homing damage boosted mist/field wands as strong wand builds. I've been trying a blast of air / physics object combo wand lately too, which you can use to deliver an egg trigger more accurately, or when combined with the infinite spell perk, in theory could propel a rock projectile at high velocity. Hopefully I can get a clip of some of these working.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

The always cast is messing up the regular order of things. It's not like an extra box, its like two boxes get played every single time you cast from that wand. One box is triple cast, the next is a spell from the list. Sometimes you can get around this with clever padding, but you have to pad more than you think, not just at the start of the wand. The wall in holy mountain doesn't properly reflect the always cast either. I tend to throw wands like this away now because they're too confusing to get to behave properly.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

The update to Soler91's Noita Together mod is so fun! If you haven't tried it yet it's worth a look even if you don't know anyone to play with since you can make public rooms to play with others now.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

DarkAvenger211 posted:

I'm trying to get a run going where I make it to the parallel worlds, my problem is I just never seem setup to do it. I get enough blackholes or whatever to dig my way back to the surface, but trying to cross the super cursed rock walls seems too difficult to survive it. Last time I tried I just died attempting to black hole my way through that.

Any tips on what I should be on the lookout for to be able to do this easily?

Ambrosia, teleport, or abuse the wizard that affects your health levels to get a lot more health before making the attempt (I don't know the specifics of this last trick but there are probably videos out there for it). If you move with ambrosia on it falls off faster which is why the teleport is necessary - you can get a little ambrosia to last a long time.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I've been playing it, after getting burned out a bit since 1.0 seemed to have a bit of a jump in difficulty and I had a stretch of not getting through Hiisi base so I took some time off the game, Noita together makes it a lot more fun, more survivable, more access to resources, and the respawn on death with health penalty is a good trade off between making it a bit easier but also making death have significant consequences. I've both played with my partner and set up an open game and just had random people join mid run (just hit start run for them to play too) and both are really fun.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

There's an opportunity for a decent wand in the mines with a liquid puzzle that can be solved if it generates, the fungal caverns in the coal pits often have great wands, or the meditation puzzle for a wand and a chance to edit, ice caves you can solve the eye puzzle or go back up and kill the wand connoisseur with plasma beams if you get them or go back to the surface to kill the pyramid boss for a chance for decent wand/spells and from there backtrack to the high alchemist for more cool spell drops and to start the key quest. If you find a broken wand you can fix it at Hiisi base for another chance at good wands/spells. If you're having trouble with DPS you can always throw one of the green tablets or the gold ball if you find it for melee damage, and there's a trick to throwing then kicking the tablet which increases the damage you can do, although I've never been able to time the kick right. There is a stretch in the game where it is harder due to some spells not being unlocked yet but once you get access to those your power scales up dramatically. Even without those spells there are still some powerful combos beyond machine gun spam wands; homing rocks can be devastating, boomerang circle spells,triggered spells as mentioned, any kind of digging spell can score you a ton of gold from the coal pits, etc. Actually you get double gold from tablet throws too so it's fairly easy to leave the first level with over 1000 gold if money is a concern.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I think the idea is he copies them then kills himself flying into the mess of beams that he's made. I keep forgetting to try it myself but when I've seen it done I think that's what's happening.

Edit: I tested it, just a bubble spark with trigger plus plasma cross and I would have only hit him a couple of times - he utterly DELETES himself

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/WillingBiodegradableAustralianfreshwatercrocodile-mobile.mp4

Stoca Zola fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Nov 5, 2021

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Practise throwing the emerald tablets for physics damage? It does a lot of damage and can multi kill if you bounce it or hit a crowd. You can throw it to stop yourself being hit by enemy projectiles too.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I think how that works is there is a threshold number of unmodded games you need to play to build up bones files before the ghosts start coming again, and then they have spawn locations signified by candles on the level where there is a chance they could show up. I play with mods all the time (mostly cosmetic stuff like pretty lanterns and cooler Hiisi) and I've started getting ghosts again after intentionally cultivating some "clean" deaths. I did have some bones files already but either the location or format changed on final release because the old bones didn't count.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

A jargogle posted:

Wand crafting question:

Is there anything that can "double dip" on add mana other than wrapping? I've currently got a bunch of endgame spells with greek letters and divide by, but nothing I seem to do with them actually increases the mana on my wand. Is there just no way around finding more add manas for a really fast wand?

Sometimes the pyramid boss drops a "copy random spell 3 times" which looks like x3, if you put this at the end of a no shuffle wand with the add mana after you get three add manas, since the spell can't randomly draw from the spells before it, as they've already been cast. You're forcing it to chose randomly from one option. This works well with explosive projectile too for adding massive damage, or for stacking curses.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I try to have a main wand in the fourth slot, next to a green tablet in the fifth slot. Thrown tablets can do a lot of damage or block attacks if timed well. Sixth slot is water/other anti fire fluid flask. Third slot is teleport, and I often build digging and teleport on the same wand, or later if I get access to certain components, infinite healing (and/or infinite all seeing eye) that triggers every time I teleport. I like to have a slot or two free to pick up new wands, and if I have a wand that is very dangerous to use (something like nuke or orbiting plasmas) I will put that in slot 1. I tend to mouse scroll to my wand slots which is why I lay it out like that.

My main wand could be anything though, a triggered multicast, a shuffling machine gun of very fast projectiles, something that homes, something that is loaded up with modifiers, it just depends on what I’ve found and where I’m trying to go. Some enemies resist certain damage types and once you start trying to hunt down bosses you need to build wands to suit the style of the boss fight.

Seventh and eighth slot I’ll use to carry teleportatium (for spoiler reasons), invisibilium, an eye, a lightning or fire stone, just whatever I come across that I think will be handy. If I end up with a way to dig through cursed rock I might take ambrosia but usually I just leave it since I always forget to use it.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Best healing is piercing because then you get healed for every game tick that it is in contact with you. Better if you can put a modifier on it to increase the projectile’s life too. Another method I’ve seen is to aim the healing bolt into water then teleport onto it, because water slows it down. Using a trigger to bounce a heal into your own head tends to only work well at short range and aimed up into a flat surface, I use part of the holy mountain or any of the little ledges scattered around the vault, for example. The “copy random spell” spells that the pyramid boss drops can be used to get more heals out of one healing bolt too.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Mr. Lobe posted:

Infinite homing rocks will see you through most situations

Do not try Lukki Lair with this combo, the toothy guys eat rocks for breakfast!

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Knowing where to go/where to look for better spells and wands helps a lot but it’s always a risk vs reward situation. It took me a long time to get better at playing defensively so that it was viable to head into riskier situations to get better wands. Skill is definitely a factor.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Scallop Eyes posted:

I tried to do the heart mage trick today, without realizing their projectiles do damage (has this always been the case?).Oh well, :dunkedon: me .

Another question, is it better to go to parallel worlds before trying to kill the bosses around the world? I keep dying to the Alchemist , even with good runs.

You need ambrosia to do the heart mage safely, or a way to heal yourself to do it the dangerous way.

Some of the bosses should be killable without parallel worlds but others, you definitely need to collect the right ingredients to build the right wand to hurt them, or at least to easily travel to where you need to be. You might be able to farm higher tier wands in the overgrown fungal caves east of and below the pyramid, parallel world farming is more for getting extra perks from the holy mountains.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Spark bolts continue to be decent for a lot of the game since you can load them with modifiers and spam them cheaply with chainsaw or other speed up effects. A big jump in damage can be achieved once you work out how to deliver a bunch of spells after a trigger. To me success in noita is often more about finding a decent wand than finding “good spells”.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I got a kill on the alchemist recently using (and I’m not sure if this is in the main branch yet since I’m playing the beta branch) the newly spawn rate fixed runestone of emptiness. I had a spark bolt trigger delivering some small fast damage effect that I don’t recall and despite the nullifying effect of the runestone, getting up close to the alchemist let me get a few frames of damage in. Meanwhile his big slow casting super damage spells were all getting completely removed and he couldn’t touch me. It took a while but it was a very safe fight.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

There was definitely an effect on seeds, speed runners doing seeded runs are using an older version of noita so that the known seeds still work. I feel like I’ve been seeing rare scenes generate more often too.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

You got hit by a Twitchy mage’s curse bolt right before you fired into the wall, which meant that you became susceptible to the projectile damage of the ducks and other projectiles. The twitchy mage is the guy with the huge mouth for a face, and is one of the most dangerous guys in the Jungle since he makes you fire your now cursed wands uncontrollably. I usually switch to holding a potion or to my teleport wand until the effect wears off.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Redmark posted:

22 deaths later, finally got a first clear :toot: Just to make sure, you, uh, are supposed to die at the end, right?

There are two more endings, one where you might die and one where you don’t die, another “ending” which gets you to new game plus, and a final “true” ending where no one dies and you are awarded an amulet cosmetic. These other endings require a bit more exploration though!

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I think a big leap in my ability to succeed at the game was working out when I was tough enough or properly equipped to go back up the chasm between the snowy depths and the mines to fight bosses for better spells and wands or to dig to the overgrown cavern to pick up better gear there. That buys a chance to survive long enough to get to the good gear in Hiisi base and the jungle and then to either tear the vault apart for goodies or carefully pick my way through to the final area. The vault always seems more hazardous to me than the Temple of the Art, the level design is a little too open and it’s too easy to get hit with electricity or acid.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I'm kind of mad at myself because while I did screenshot this wand build, I didn't remember to paste/save it anywhere. It's sparkbolt with trigger going into a chain of modifiers, but these include a copy trail and a Mu (copy all modifiers) from the alchemist, and then the payload is a chainbolt, a cast 3x random from the pyramid boss and an Omega (copy all projectiles). The last two spells seem to recursively trigger each other and the copy trail makes it even worse, even before I found short range homing the chain bolts themselves would home. So the final result is the resulting waves of death, which were somehow not lethal when I was hit by a twitchy mage. I don't think chain bolt ever targets the player? Or maybe I was very lucky. In game this was really tanking the frame rate but that gives the equivalent of bullet time, when I could actually see where I was on the screen. I'm very fond of cast 3x random because if you stick it right at the second to last slot of the wand you can get 3 casts guaranteed of the very last spell.

Stoca Zola fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Dec 23, 2023

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

What if you go here
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Noita\mods
or wherever your game is installed, and delete the folders manually?

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Sometimes the shift affects a flask if you are holding it, sometimes it ignores the flask and does something > something else. If you are holding a flask you can't tell if its going to change whats in the flask, or change something else into what's in the flask. Your clue is that after the shift you might get a few pixels of whichever material isn't mentioned in the text of the shift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

... did the game always make a sound suspiciously like a revving engine & wooshing wind when teleporting at high speed? or is this some weird artifact of my current tele wand

This is new and they also changed it so the camera accelerates with the player instead of jerking all over the place.

Just popping into the thread to sob heartbrokenly about steam deleting my progress completely because someone else logged into steam on my computer and noita cloud shares were broken. I’ve lost my amulet, my tree pillars, everything. Neither me or the person who logged in have cloud sync enabled so I am pretty shitted off that the progress was reset for whatever reason, not sure if it’s noita’s jank way of storing progress or steams jank way of handling a different user logging in.