Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

This game terrifies me sometimes.

https://i.imgur.com/843KiTs.mp4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaNJNztOroY
Mind you I FOUND this wand - the only thing I took out was a "remove explosion" mod.

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Apr 9, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Is there a list of what spells need to be 'unlocked' be it killing bosses or finding certain things and doing the insane quests?

I should go out of my way to collect all of the Orbs at some point, too - since afaik those give permanent unlocks?

I've only dabbled deep enough to 'beat' the game once, and kill the alchemist for a handful of his spells - none of which I've gotten much use out of.
I feel like there's still a ton of spells I've never seen and I know a bunch are tied to various quests I haven't even approached doing.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

I discovered that the 'freeze liquid ' perk is great until you get splashed with toxic sludge that immediately freezes into a lethal ice crust.

I also just fungal shifted all poly into water... then all regular water into blood. This run is going to be messy.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

I very reliably get down to Hiisi Base, but am extremely prone to dying there or the jungle to Dumb poo poo like being slightly too close to propane tanks, or not respecting the terrifying DPS some enemies can put out against me.

Does Berserkium affect the explosion radius of world props, or only your spells? Ending myself with a bersker-buffed bomb was a one time affair, but some of the world props are terrifyingly strong if I haven't lucked into explosive immunity (*glares at the red tanks in the vault*)

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Apr 10, 2024

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

uPen posted:

If I'm not explosion immune I'll usually skip most of Hissi base. Just go for the hourglass and anvil grabbing whatever I see on the way and spend more time in the jungle.

Is there a handy list of locations worth visiting during a regular run?
I didn't even know about the hourglass (or the hiisi shop) but I'm sure there are other places worth visiting along the way down the main path?

The only one I regularly aim for is the fungal caverns, for the better wands and item density - and tripping balls of course.

I also only just learned about how the 'formations' and heart/chest spawn locations work, so it's another thing I'm now being mindful of, especially in the first three floors.

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Apr 10, 2024

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Clark Nova posted:

The temple to the left of the snowy depths will probably have 2-3 feral wands with good stats and spells. The enemies in there are tougher but there are fewer of them and they have limited approach angles

I only really go in there if I've found all seeing eye.

-----

I ran into a really odd enemy that I'm not finding on the wiki:
It was a floating purple ghost looking dude with a really simple sprite - that just floated around after me constantly radiating a purple slime aura?
I've never seen it before or since (but I saw one with a red aura another time)

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Stoca Zola posted:

I think you found a https://noita.wiki.gg/wiki/Aave which have been in the beta for a while, and probably only were added to the main branch recently.

That's the one!

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Every time I find that "target casts x" modifier I inevitably stick it to a flying enemy and then Deeply Regret my brief existence afterward.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

I just turned blood into whiskey and the run is INTERESTING

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

New, intense, searing hatred for the 'flumoxium' radiating ghost rear end in a top hat.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Ariong posted:

I do have another question. Do the effects of magic liquids just not work on enemies? I keep spraying Pheremones, Flukmoxoniuk, Polymorphium, etc. on enemies and it doesn’t seem to do anything. I just threw a vial of polymorphium at a big boss enemy and nailed a direct hit and it did absolutely nothing. So the conclusion I’m leaning toward is that it doesn’t work, but then why would you sometimes start with a vial of it? If pheromones doesn’t work on enemies, what would it even do???

Do note an important exception to this is Steve.
If Steve shows up, make him your buddy.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Every time I think I am unkillable, I noita myself in some new, exciting fashion.

This time it was boomerang projectiles. I didn't check what wand I was using and shot out some poison-trail projectiles that stuck to me and killed my rear end.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Zamujasa posted:

boomerang spells is great :allears:

I am afraid to test: does boomerang affect the Plasma Beam spells the same way it does with Luminous Drill?

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

I didn't know this for the longest time but you can tell a wand will be multicast if it has multiple tips on the 'model'/sprite.

Just a neat detail that I appreciate.

I think for me finding wands with Always Cast Giant Firebolt, or always cast "Homing" of some kind are my favourite (and inevitably lead to my demise when I get overconfident).
Always Cast Circle of Acid lead to me briefly experimenting 'can I outrun it'. Results: no.
Are all spells eligible to show up as an always cast? Or are they only picked from a limited pool?

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Apr 18, 2024

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Noita and the associated lore puts me in mind of the Dread Empire novels by Glen Cook, where one of the overarching antagonists is a wizard ordained by the gods (or some similar analog) to both keep the world in order by imprisoning really dangerous monsters and creatures - but also to keep the humans and others at each other's throats and therefore 'under control' and unable to develop too rapidly.
Just a meddling rear end in a top hat that flies around on his magical star horse, leaves the world riddled with magical deathraps, and keeps a prison full of demigods on the verge of breaking loose and ruining everything.
Exactly the kind of poo poo a bungling witch should be stumbling into.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Hey glass cannon is pretty fun when I have a wand that shoots homing laserbeams really really fast.

Let me just drop a bomb to dig...
...oh wait... does glass cannon apply to bomb radius?

Minä's final thoughts.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Is it normal for swapper mages to swap BEFORE the explosive component of a magic missile?
Like I shot the dude - the missile hit him, damaged him, then I swapped places and took a huge chunk from what I assume is the explosion.
Because I just deleted myself with that and it absolutely enraged me.

----

I'm also curious of how certain explosive attacks actually do damage - namely Thunder Charge that Ukko shoots - on paper it lists 37.5 electric and 45 explosive - but I've been oneshotted by Ukko at over 150 HP before, so there's gotta be something else going on?

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Apr 23, 2024

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

idiotsavant posted:

They swap on damage so yes, using explosive trigger wands against them is a very bad idea

It was just a magic missile, though. Really confused me when it happened.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

idiotsavant posted:

it does projectile damage + explosion damage, basically the missile projectile hits and damages the mage, the mage swaps you, and then the explosion happens and blows you up. If you look close a lot of explosive spells have similar functionality - a projectile followed by an explosion

Indeed I noita'd myself.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Try going east of the pyramid for something new!

(Apparently an addition from Beta but it's new to me and I have no idea what it's there for but it's neat)

---

Spawn with a mud potion. Sick.
Climb over the tree, grab the eyeball.
Go get essence of earth, cleanse it, become soil digging man.
Dig my way down to Overgrown Cavern.
Die instantly to spore mushroom ricocheting me into acid bubble.

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Apr 27, 2024

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Noita'd again:

Today I learned that the purple crystals in Temple of the Art shoot firebolts - and that my full rack of immunity doesn't prevent the projectile damage component from loving me over.

RIP

I had a homing AOE damage mist wand, and a critical stacked concentrated light minigun. All gone.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Ah, swapper mages, ruining my ridiculous homing plasma-orbit mist.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Homing Unstable Crystals is hilarious - and counts as pacifism.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Zesty posted:

Yeehaw!

Would you still love me if I was a worm?

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

I died to that wand a few runs ago.
Just meandering through fungal cavern and suddenly got A-10 Warthog Strafed from above. Never even saw the ghost. Just BRRRRT DEAD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

When you turn acid into ambrosia