Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
The physics system they have built seems like a perfect fit for the spelunky style gameplay. It has been a lot of fun watching streamers accidentally start chain reactions with fire/oil/acid and die.

Ive been following this game for years now, can't wait to play it!

A Sometimes Food posted:

How Roguelite is the rogueliteness of this? Is there like a persistent town/base or is it more like you can eventually unlock stuff by clearing or whatever?

From what I've seen, very little. I think the devs at some point said there were some things that would carry over but it pretty much looks like you start fresh every run

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

Johnny Joestar posted:

not sure if there's a clear reason to go to a lot of the side areas yet

If you have enough hp and a good wand you can make a lot of money killing stuff in the side areas.

Its a lot of fun figuring out which spells can carry you pretty far in the game and which ones will almost always kill you

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
I highly recommend binding kick to spacebar. Otherwise you have to take your finger off D for a second and kicking stuff to the right is tougher.

Kicking stuff into enemies or dropping items on their heads does an insane amount of damage

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
I came across a bunch of corpses and gold in the ice zone earlier and heard something in the distance, one of the jetpack dudes had picked up a powerful wand and for some reason went apeshit, killing everything that moved including his fellow jetpack dudes and shooting lasers all over the drat place.

This is quickly becoming one of my favourite games. Its rough around the edges but it seems like every new game i start something really cool happens

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
If you get hold of a decent chainsaw wand, keep hold of it. Its the only way ive been able to consistently kill the angry god-skeleton, just get in his face as quick as possible and mulch him

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
Combine a magic bolt - trigger with sulfur explosion or thunder explosion for a fun time.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

goferchan posted:

Pro-tip for my fellow water flask lovers-- you can right click a potion icon in the hotbar to empty it immediately instead of having to dump the whole thing out pixel by pixel

Thank you so much for this

Has anyone seen an extremely rare enemy in the mines, a black shadowy ghost that looks a bit like the player character - it has a ton of health, you can see it on screen even if it flies into unexplored areas. It seems to be a massive hp sponge and loves to pick up wands. Ive seen it twice and the time i managed to finish it by kicking a minecart into its face it dropped an insane amount of gold

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

goferchan posted:

Man Lightning Bolt is really easy to kill yourself with but other than that it's insanely OP. It's a highly damaging railgun with infinite charges and great range and accuracy . I just got one floor 3 and then got super excited when I picked up the "electrified" perk in holy mountain and immediately in floor 4 i landed on one of those steel floors and electrified one of the freezing gas canisters and detonated it and was instantly killed :smith:

Lightning bolt is so cool, they really nailed the sound effect too. Its a lot of fun hiding behind bits of scenery on the third floor and jumping out to ambush the jetpack mooks with lightning. I had a lightning wand and one that shot 3 of the electric mage projectile things at the same time. And the electric perk... I felt like a god

Died the exact same way. Got set on fire in the base, started spraying water between a canister and wall to make a little pond to put the fire out, canister exploded :negative:

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

Ixjuvin posted:

Is there something specific that causes a chest to spawn near you at the beginning of a run?

I think its just a quirk of the engine, something that was supposed to spawn further down but didnt have space and was pushed up.

If you kill something in a confined space the gold. will sometimes appear on the ground above it

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
Had a promising run end on the 4th floor by polymorphing into a firefly then flying into some water and dying instantly. Not sure if Im more annoyed or impressed

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

goferchan posted:

That's another good idea, I think "more consistently interesting starts" is something that would really help the game out and that way you have something to build and play around from floor 1. Right now the mines are in a way the weakest part of the game IMO -- they're not that dangerously if you play cautiously, and so your only incentive not to scour every inch of the floor for wands and gold and max hp boosts is just skipping that and pushing ahead because it's kind of tedious to do so. I kind of like that there's no timer but there needs to be something besides boredom keeping me from min-maxing by sweeping the whole first level

This is a good point, I agree the mines are in need of spicing up somehow. I dont know if an initial perk is the thing but something would be cool, it can turn into a bit of a slog if you dont find more bombs / a way to burn wood and you're good enough at the game that nothing in the mine really threatens you.

Maybe starting with a torch wand in addition to the other two? Its a cool efffect, would help you move around the mines a bit more freely and mess with the environment more without making you much more powerful.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
The ghosts that carry your old weapons dont always carry your old weapons. I just came across one in the mines with a wand that had magic missile on it and Ive definitely never seen that spell in the mines before. I died horribly of course

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
I built a horrid psychic tentacle wand with necromancy and turned the hiisi bunker into a horror movie kind of scenario, hiding behind corners and popping out to rip gunners apart with a tentacle, as soon as they got hit their body parts would start to float and attack their former friends.

not sure exactly how it happened but doing this for the whole level, eventually I had a wand floating around on its own casting spells at my enemies.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
The freezing area spell is badass, Id love to see some frostbolts in this game. maybe a higher level one that does damage and freezes for a bit longer.

shattering a frozen enemy with a kick is one of my favourite things

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
Looks like a very tedious way to get through levels 3 and 4, and I wouldn't say it is plenty to get through those floors either. It requires a fair bit of skill and an awful lot of patience.

That being said I have played a lot of this game and only been stuck with that wand by level 3 maybe 2 or 3 times

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
Ive played like 30 hours of this now and only seen giga black hole twice. once on literally my first ever run where I cast it and died, the second time i got it was yesterday, put it on a wand with trigger bolt and it carried me to my first win.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
I don't know how to embed videos but this is easily my highest body count with one spell (nukes don't count, no way to be sure how much stuff you killed)

https://imgur.com/a/HlLloTd

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
The patch notes didnt mention anything but it feels like they might have tweaked the mines a little bit. Im finding a lot more wands, and have found more interesting ones since this patch.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
I installed the mods for random starter wands, more variety in level 1 wands and restoring health from eating corpses and the game is like 80 percent more fun now, for me. I would highly recommend it to anyone who is getting tired of slogging through the mines with the base wands/throwing the tablet at everything.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

Afriscipio posted:

Where can I find this?

Edit:
Found it. It was on a Github page:
https://github.com/nuke-makes-games/noita_mods

People are sharing mods in the official discord, there are quite a lot of them now

https://discord.gg/msMqEk

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

goferchan posted:

drat people are coming up with some pretty cool spells in mods already like this projectile modifierthat makes spells follow your mouse cursor

Holy poo poo that's brilliant.

I really hope this gets workshop support on release so we can just click a bunch of crazy poo poo and play a really weird version of the game

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

goferchan posted:

And a mod to start with the perk. I'm never a big guy for playing modded for some reason but the sandbox is so much fun that it feels great to introduce new elements

Do you have a link for this? Would be great to always edit wands anywhere

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
I don't know if its just the latest beta but it feels like they made it a lot easier to extinguish yourself recently. I remember before you used to practically get to chest high water before the fire would go out, its way more forgiving now.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

Hooplah posted:

I've seen three "classes" - slime, summoner, and electric. slime gives you slime blood, so that's a nope from me, summoner doesn't seem to ever give a wand that isn't charge-based (that i've seen) so it's pretty boring and hard because you can't reliably kill anything, and electric either gives you that unlimited-use elec explosion spell, in which case it's an insanely overpowered start, or it gives you the other charge-based elec spells only so you have no way to kill anything past the first few encounters

great idea, but it's pretty lacking in execution.

Every time I got summoner I spawned with a wand that always casts summon rock.

I completely disagree, the game is about ten times more fun for me now with these themed starts. The only one to give me only charge based spells so far is fire mage and it gives you plenty of charges to find another wand (and set fire to the whole first stage while you're at it)

After spending so much time slogging through the first 2 areas with crappy spells it's such a breath of fresh air to start as a fire/thunder/summoner mage instead of a gimp with an underpowered purple bolt.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

Hooplah posted:

mea culpa. i didn't realize that wand had always summon on it. summoner is actually crazy strong and very fun

yeah that seems pretty strong for a starter wand when you have fire immune

To be fair the thunder mage is more than a bit overpowered if you spawn with thunderbolt and trigger orb + lightning explosion (weirdly the wand doesn't have enough mana to actually cast the explosion so you need to move it to another one) but dammit I've had too many runs where I explored the first 2 levels and found nothing truly dangerous or interesting.

And the slime mage is a bit lacklustre compared to the others.

Overall though I do like how it nudges your run in a direction - as a lightning mage stuff like circle of water is now a lot deadlier, it makes me look out for certain spells and try to experiment with stuff that would have otherwise probably killed me.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
Whoever said slime and oil blood should be replaced with acid and lava blood was right.

Acid blood could have great synergy with some spells too

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
Yeah thunderbolt is dangerous enough but every time I try and put it on a trigger bolt it inevitably backfires and hits me in the face. Probably safer to just triple cast thunderbolt on its own, if thats an option

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
Yeah explosion of brimstone sounds badass but doesn't do enough damage to take you very far.

Thunder explosion rules though. huge damage, temporary paralysis and a cool sound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

Melum posted:

So, question: is there any list, or compendium of “useful spell combos”? The example that comes to mind is ping pong plus luminous drill, I had no idea that would create a giant zig zag of death until I saw it in a video. Or bouncing burst plus pierce.

More specifically, with unlimited spells, I realize how many of the individual spells are powerful, but very rarely experiment with them normally, and I am sure I could improve their use. I haven’t done much more than putting a horrible murder spell after spark bolt w/ trigger.

I did something similar to number 2 in this post the other day

eke out posted:

i feel like most good early-game (as in, you hope to get this going or have steps towards getting one going once you finish fungal caverns, and hope to get it online by the time you're in the ice caves) wands boil down to one of a small handful of things:

1. yes-shuffle wand that shoots very fast and has plenty of mana: limited usefulness, but if you can get it really fast or get a bunch of shotguns, it can carry you through hiisi base, but will usually fall off by the time you get to HP sponges in the jungle

2. no-shuffle wand that shoots reasonably fast that you can stack modifiers on: this will basically always be [spell with trigger] > [all the mods you can fit] > [2x/3x cast] > [projectiles]
- this can carry you through end game if you just iterate on it and switch out your base wand as you get bigger, faster, stronger wands and more modifiers

3. luminous drill + some way to extend its range and keep it casting forever: lumi drill is incredible and the main question is can you figure out how to extend its range and get enough mana for it, so always be looking for (1) things that reduce delay, like chainsaws or more lumi drills or reduce recharge (2) things that increase range, like ping-pong path, orbiting path, the slithering path one, etc. and (3) +mana modifiers
- once you get this set up you can just iterate with additional damage+ modifiers as you go along, and can easily win the game with it, since it'll let you kill things through walls
- i also recently learned that Light is really good on this, since it'll let you see whatever you're hitting on the other side of the wall through the fog of war (light is actually way better than i thought on practically everything, and barely costs any mana)

while you have edit wands everywhere via a mod, you should be able to get one of these options pretty consistently, since it's easy to just grab a spell or a modifier here and there from the different wands you come across.

but without the spell trigger. just a lot of powerful mods before 3x the little bug projectiles that are normally kind of useless, but with the mods I had on them (homing, damage field, slow projectile and a few others) they would blast out of the wand and fly around the level blowing all the enemies up before they got near me. killed the boss for the first time in a while!

I hadn't played this game in over a year until very recently and it is hugely impressive how much more fun everything is now. It feels like every run, even by the end of the first and second level I can put together much more varied and interesting combinations of wands and perks than before.