Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
Recently got back into Noita, need to read up on the thread but wanted to offer a trip report-

I finally, finally got a run going where I can get to parallel worlds with some ease and am now trying to figure out what to do with my rapidly ascending godhood. Taking out the alchemist boss and getting access to greek spells really does change everything.

There is so much poo poo to investigate in this game and I have no idea where to begin without spoiling myself. Even since the last time I played there seems to be new stuff getting thrown in all the time.

• Found three music machines that I can kick to turn on, and a note item from the dark temple to the west of the frozen caves, but they don't seem to interact? Maybe I need to find more music for it?

• Found two miniature flaming blue orbs-not the orbs of knowledge with hearts-but smaller ones in the desert and frozen wastes that take damage and got blown up. What could they be? Should I have destroyed them? :iiam:

• Found a small inverted pyramid with an eye on it in the first fungal caverns, and another in the eastern desert with what looks like a mushroom and two... down arrows? on it. I need to bring the eye.. beam... thing to it to see if it reveals anything.

• Also have come across big metal bowls in the mines that seem ideal for holding/mixing potions, and a larger version with a hexagon like symbol and three smaller gem symbols near it. I know there's all sorts of alchemy to uncover, but the only thing I know how to make is acceleratanium :eng99:

• I also know of the existence of the essences, a vague idea of where to find them and that they need to be brought to the moon but I'm holding off on picking any of those up since they seem to be a slow death sentence.

That's about all the threads I'm pulling that I can think of at the moment. I'm just trying to do/see as much as I can as this is the first run of this game where I've managed to achieve a sort of 'escape velocity'.

e; oh yeah, forgot about the scales in the desert. it's stuck down on the left, tried to free it (ended up blowing up most of the left side), but it didn't budge :shrug:

The Protagonist fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jul 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

AceClown posted:

If you've killed the Alchemist he also drops something other than greek spells that you might have missed in all the slime he bleeds....

Oh right, thanks! Yeah I have no idea what to do with it/where to bring it. For now it's sitting where it dropped.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

NEVER! When society collapses and the internet goes out forever, I'll have my solar panels, Noita, and its secrets.

e; I'll happily accept curated hints/nudges tho :)

The Protagonist fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jul 6, 2021

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Goddamn I really do love this game. I've never played something where experience and knowledge of the esoterica translates so directly to incredible, awesome power. I've been downright evangelical about it with introducing it to friends and as I've learned more my pitch has shifted-

At first glance it's a roguelike dungeon crawler with some secrets around the periphery.

In actuality it's this enormous/endless metroidvania with a sideshow dungeon at the start.

One of my favorite things is how some wands you find are just straight up cursed. Not like in other games, where its explicitly labeled 'cursed' and that means whatever, but that you can look at a wand and know (with some hard earned experience)- "oh hey, using this thing will badly maim or just straight up kill me. Cool!"

And then you pocket it to strip useful materials later, only to forget what it does in a moment of panic because you got really really high. But yeah, with some 250-ish attempts now I have no doubt that the vast majority of my deaths were self-inflicted.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

First long run trip report update 7/7/21

Cleared up to the final holy mountain in the main, 1st east and west worlds (parallel worlds don't have a holy mountain after the temple of the art right?), and finally tackled the tower.

Took the wand of destruction, threw on Omega and orbiting nukes. Explosion immunity doesn't protect from falling debris!

I remain, shockingly, alive.

Started poking around to the east of the TotA, eventually ended up in power plant, made a new friend that I can't seem to damage at all! so I'm going to have to go back to the drawing board with some kind of new killing wand.

I'm a bit worried though, if I've collected more than 11 orbs, am I locked out of ng+?

I'm trying to do everything possible before going to kill the final boss and starting a new game, hopefully to get to the 33 orb ending.

e; if I unwittingly locked myself out of ng+ I am going to straight up edit my save file! :mad: Have kept everything totally vanilla up to this point.

VVVVV: They curse you to take damage for a good long while, but it's possible to block it.

The Protagonist fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jul 7, 2021

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

boop

https://i.imgur.com/UpFNKYk.mp4

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

resistentialism posted:

The fun part about eating a ball lightning to the face is that the explosion can make you bleed, and then the shocks can arc back onto you from your blood.

Bloodrocuted
\

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

mitztronic posted:

Finishing the ‘main boss’ marks the end of the tutorial and the beginning of the game.

Yeah this is perfect. I thought Noita was a rogue-like with some secret peripheral stuff with metroidvania-like qualities, but in reality it's a metroidvania with rogue-like qualities.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

also recall that the probability of an under-water treasure chest holding an electric stone rapidly approaches 100%

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

:stare:

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJwHk7OHE6Q

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

i know i don't feel like im really getting going until i get a lil 'chug'

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

can noita create a noita so powerful even noita can't kill noita??

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

lmao

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

hi noita thread!

i'm looking for some good gifs demonstrating spell craftin', something like a wand getting tested and it's kind of sputtering and anemic at first, then flipping a few things around to create a 0 cast/recharge time deathbeam with absurd, rocket-like recoil

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

KillHour posted:

Just wait until you find a wand where when you click, things stop happening for 10-20 seconds.

I always know I've got a pretty good run/wand going when I start to get chug

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

nicely done! yeah the refrain of noita is it seems like a roguelike random dungeon game, but in reality that's just the progression core of an infinite metroidvania where true Godhood is attainable and the final enemy is the ennui of immortality

e; oh and polymorph

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

:eyepop: thats alotta damage!

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

resistentialism posted:

You can get to about a 40% stain with an incredibly small amount of ambrosia by spritzing a bit and then kicking it upwards off the ground.

oo thats a neat trick, kick is underrated

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

yea they own

did myself in last night with one by getting hit by one of those goddamn wizards that curses you to fire randomly

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

i tucked myself safely in a corner to figure out wtf i'd been hit by :negative:

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

:stare:

https://i.imgur.com/NbgKc7b.mp4

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The fact that wands can be dynamically inherently cursed is really fantastic

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

I still haven't managed to make the Kali wand, which is when you merge the ultimate killing, traveling, tunneling & healing wand into a single package.

Poly gets me every time when I get close :negative:

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnMHGgdgRh4

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Started a run on a fresh reinstall for the first time and it opened up to a long run immediately. I need help.

whats some cool poo poo i can do with this all this junk? easy to get overwhelmed with all the options that come with ever more powerful poo poo and feel im probably missing really incredible combos i haven't discovered yet

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

i like how the nature of these things is to inevitably leave single little solid pixels just waiting to catch u slippin'

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

i love this ty

e; not mine-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkmHhWofdxo

The Protagonist fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jun 1, 2023

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

a way to tweak poly could be have your health be a reduced percentage of your normal health rather than a flat native value for the mob

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

There's no undo in the arcane arts

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

id say that freezing liquid into acid is somewhat of a lateral move

e i bet propane canisters really fling it tho :ohdear:

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Zamujasa posted:

I just do it because I like chaos.

Good page topper. Even better thread title.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Gromit posted:

I need to be more careful when I see my ghost, but for some reason I always think I can take that weak-rear end piece of poo poo because he already died so must suck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpgNcRsKIlQ

That's nawt a wand... this is a wand

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

https://i.imgur.com/8o38bYf.gifv

emphatically telling that shitter to Get Dead is satisfying as hell every single time :allears:

no joke, gotta roll out this chesnut

https://i.imgur.com/pNxVYjA.mp4

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

:drat: he came at the queen and did not miss

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Situation Noita, All Fine Underground

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

I would really like that actually

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

the ultimate losing condition in noita is when death becomes impossible to attain

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The answer is always more chainsaws

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Doesn't that involve some ng or ng+ world save state fuckery?

Even when I saw it it's hard to sell as 2s