Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
I picked this up after really wanting it for a long time. Have died to explosions for the first 5 runs.

10/10 would explode again.

Any tips for a new noita?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The one big acid balloon boy in the first area was a shock. Thank you for the tips!

I have yet to find any good wands but ive found a raincloud wand like 4 times.that was cute

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I really wish i had a good option for terrain destruction in the beginning (besides limited ammo bombs) i keep finding myself on the far side of dirt with no path to a health up.

God burning everything is satisfying though

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I got high enough on mushrooms all the ... Water? Turned to diamonds.

Was not expecting that

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I took a perk called gas fire and tbh it was incredibly useful

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I am not good at this game.

I have made it to the vault! I have learned to fear the gigasaw.

My spells are very normal. Someday i will break the game.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I wish i knew how to make a good murder wand. I feel like I'm inevitably just using the starting spell for waaay to long

Edit: I did impress the gods the other day. No idea how i did it though or what it means

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Why are chainsaws good? They seem underwhelming at least initially

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Oh ive never seen them affect anything and didnt see any projectile associated with them. Do they affect the next projectile or something?

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer

cuntman.net posted:

most of my runs still get stuck at the hiisi base and the two most recent times i got past it were both because i found a wand that shoots 8 missiles at once

For me that spell thats three purple bolts and lightly homes can get me through but generally the ice levels are where i get hard stopped most times

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Do saws count as projectiles or melee?i guess what im actually asking is, is there any way to be immune to saws when i inevitably bounce 5 back into my face

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
All saws hunger for their creator

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Homing plasma is dangerous but fun. Also how the hell did it recast on each damage tick?

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I am once again reminded that all my cool spells are in fact stupid and boring.

Thats very cool

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
My favorite thing in this thread (besides absurd murder wands) is hearing about the actual bosses.

My boss is that aggressive little robot with a shield in the vault and so far he has known no defeat.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I saw a video on YouTube about effective spells using minimal slots (like homing and rocks etc) which was pretty interesting. Are there any go to spells combos people use that only use like 2 or 3 spells?

I ask as this would be useful for me, a person who sucks at noita and does not make good wands.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The way fire propagates in this is fun to watch so i am a danger to myself and the environment at all times.

These minimal spell suggestions are very cool. I like triplicate shot a lot but always feel it ends up lack lustre by the jungly area so itll be interesting to try these combos.

Does chain shot (or whatever its actual name is) synergize well with anything? I really like its ability to natively curve around corners

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Triplicate bolt is mostly handy because each of the projectiles it creates inherits all of the spell modifiers before the triplicate bolt spell itself. You can get a similar effect via e.g. [damage plus] [triple spell] [spark bolt] [spark bolt] [spark bolt], it just takes a lot more spell slots.

If triplicate bolt is losing lustre, then that just means you haven't put enough modifiers on it. [spark bolt with trigger] into heavy, exploding, freezing triplicate bolt is strong enough to win the game. It'll make three projectiles directly on top of the enemy that the spark bolt hit, and each of those projectiles should do around 100 damage.

Its likely true the lack of modifiers is what does me in. I tend to not have a lot of gold as i am not good enough to explore much of the side areas

But i am improving still

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Having a good run. Taking my time.

Noita ghost shows up with a full auto fireball wand that duplicates on firing and turns the entirety of the mines into a smoldering rubble only occupied by whats left of my corpse.

I have luck

ZeusCannon fucked around with this message at 23:43 on May 27, 2023

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I just had the weirdest thing happen. I was playing in the mines and noticed that a place i had fought earlier had a lot of gold dust on the ground. So i went to pick it up and wherever i walked in it it converted the ground to gold. I ended up accidentally tunnelling down almost to the holy mountain getting richer the whole way.

Any idea what the hell happened?

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer

KillHour posted:

You discovered draught of midas. Every run has a random recipe to make it but one of the ingredients is always blood.

Well i wish i knew what the actual draught was i didnt mix anything on purpose.

Is there a maximum number of ingredients?

Edit: this may be pointless as i used a rock with boomerang spells on and oh no

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Arent fungal shifts entirely random?

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Welp the nice ground is gold save killed me in the ice caves. Those gatling gun drones can suck it. My boomerang spells couldn't reach them and they just filled the air with lead.

I might try to figure out how to replay a seed to see if i can figure out how i accidentally alchemied. If anyone wants it its 765984207

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer

yes, well, my advice for that is: don't take boomerang spells

It was doing funny things to my circle of protection tho

Edit: got noitad. having a good run. Had a good but not amazing wand that i had built into a shotgun that was actually killing most enemies in max two shots. Decided to clear the hisii base since it was going well and get gold.

Mob jumps out of nowhere with a rapid fire plasma beam wand. Instantly kills themselves and me. Hahah

ZeusCannon fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jun 12, 2023

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Eric the Mauve posted:

I installed the Polymorph Immunity mod three years ago and have never looked back. gently caress that bullshit.

When people mention mods are they just pulling from steam workshop or is there a related launcher etc.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Im dumb and just realized that some spells are locked behind specific tasks not just randomness. Are there any that you all would recommend getting first? Feel free to vaguely hint and or spoiler specifics if its something that you think i should figure out on my own.

Id appreciate gentle nudges in the right direction though

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I should just give in and play with the tinker with wands everywhere mod since it would increase the fun im having but i really wish i could pull off a vanilla win. Got close to the bottom of the vault in a run but wasn't strong enough to survive.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Still havent beaten first main boss (because im bad)

But i got another seed that had random natural alchemical something something appear.

Still dont understand alchemy but it showed up so now theres midas all over and im rich in the mines.

This generally means im about to die terribly

Edit: i was right. Surprise ukko out of nowhere. :sigh:

ZeusCannon fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Oct 29, 2023

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I love this game im just so so bad at it.

Was that the seed? Surprised i wasnt drowning in it as that appears to be a recipe that would just make precursor if you pour water out

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I wish i was good enough to unlock anything in this game

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer

If you can beat the enemies in the jungle, then you can probably beat the game. You might run into some issues with enemies that are immune to whatever bullshit you've cooked up, but a big part of Noita is saying "hmm, don't think I'll engage with you" and finding a different route. So if you're getting bored, just start speedrunning the rest of the game IMO.

I can make it past the jungle. I have never made it past the vault. It murders me every single time. Either a sudden plasma beam or robot just destroys me.

I had a good run a bit ago where i got some aggressive homing rocks which cleared some areas well for me. But i only had a few shots of it and they got stuck so i ended up relying on another lesser wand till i got overwhelmed.

Someday ill get past it.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I made it to the boss and the salt!

It murdered me in a quarter second!

But i saw it!

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Angry Diplomat posted:

I found acid and freezing liquid flasks in the mines. "Great," I thought. "Maybe I can fungal shift these into something less hazardous when I hit up the fungal caves."

I turned all smoke into acid :negative:

"poo poo. Well, this is fine," I thought. "I just have to be really really careful around fire. It's fine. I can still try to turn freezing liquid into something less dangerous."

I turned it into more acid :negative:

Why i dont fungal shift in one quote

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer

HolHorsejob posted:

Thanks lil buddy

That is what taught me to never ever take that little fella.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
When you want to die horribly

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Jesus gently caress (think this made my post sound exasperated rather than very very surprised so editing it.)

i just had a game where i finally got tired and installed the tinker everywhere mod. (Side note: its great i should have done this earlier) made it down to just above the vault and had some rando anger the gods for me so i killed steve and decided to climb back up to see what else i could find.

Shot a black hole up through the roof of the mountain when all of a sudden it comes back down and then seconds later im dropped into the vault by a random teleport?

No idea what happened but i died hard.

ZeusCannon fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Dec 30, 2023

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Hempuli posted:

Thanks for the supportive messages!

There was an intent to push these already in August, but we were waiting for me to finish up what I was doing, i.e. the stuff you saw in this patch. Once the most awful bugs are fixed, there shouldn't be much need to wait (but I don't know what the exact plan/timeline is at this point, if there is one).

Yeah, it slows everyone around itself down. I should probably see if I could easily add an UI icon for the effect.

This game is amazing and the reason i bought a new computer rather than a console.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer

That's me every moment of this game haha. I'm so bad at dodging damage and making wands.

I tried to challenge the boss to the right of mines and it no selled everything i hit it with. Someday I'll hurt a boss.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Angry Diplomat posted:

Are you talking about the bridge boss past the volcano? That thing doesn't gently caress around even slightly; I've had runs where I handily killed the endboss and still wouldn't even think about scrapping with bridge guy. Never gently caress with him in the early game unless you're attempting one of the cheese strategies that work against him (and remember that said strategies won't get you any unlocks unless you manage to land the killing blow).

Yes i think so. Big wiggly boy made everything dark.

Is there a first boss i should focus on beating now that im cheating modding tinker in all the time? Or is that literally the end boss.

I keep trying to unlock new spells but it feels like im missing something in my brain sometimes because by the time i have enough power to climb back out to look for the spells etc im also just insta mercd by something (last time was a propane tank tumbling down my blackhole tunnel :classiclol:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Zamujasa posted:

I shifted Blood into Chaotic Polymorphine and died to a shotgun zombie turned into missile robot firing a missile into my face.

I was debating trying that shift with my ambrosia flask instead but decided on poly :negative:

You can influence shifts?