Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Can't you override the bigger saw spells' self-homing by using path behaviour modifiers on them?

There's probably potential for some goofy strategy where you wing one of the bosses/enemies who copy your spells and then let them own themselves, but even then it's generally better to use a spell that doesn't require both fighting at short range and dodging your own shots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I like the wands that kill you by reducing your FPS to single digits and causing you to no longer know what the gently caress is going on. I had an infinite spells run where I came across a wand with always-cast Matter Eater, an add-damage modifier, and that freezing gaze spell on some sort of inaccurate multicast. Every time I clicked, the game ground to a crawl and everything in an almost 180° arc from my wand was immediately deleted from existence. This whipped supreme rear end until I came across something that didn't give a gently caress about freezing and had enough health to tank the first couple of blasts, at which point I was already dead by the time the computer stopped screaming and my FPS recovered

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Off to a great start, found a good poison wand, a digging bolt wand, and an all-seeing eye wand, and I see another wand in an obvious trap room. No problem! I'll digbolt my way into the room from the opposite side, then shoot a bomb at the trap mechanism from a safe distance.

It is one of the acid traps. As I watch acid melt most of the mines and also me, I realize that those traps will shoot their acid wave in all directions that are not obstructed, and that said wave of acid will continue for an unreasonably long distance if it doesn't strike a barrier of some kind. :rip:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

You should see how Rock behaves when you have the boomerang spells perk :gonk:

I thought I could use my summoned self-homing rocks cleverly with my telekinesis. I was kind of right, but I mostly just owned myself over and over by launching rock-propelled enemies and explosives at myself. Also, I had to wedge all of my rocks behind terrain and carefully tiptoe away anytime I wanted to go anywhere.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 15:48 on May 16, 2023

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I've been actively trying to fill out my incomplete discoveries and I still haven't taken No Wand Tinkering even once, because Jesus that's a uselessly, cripplingly awful perk.

Now, Lukki Mutation, on the other hand, is an almost universal slam pick for me. I don't even care that it's not good in big open spaces. Spider mode rules, scuttling creepily along ceilings and pouring acid on dudes rules, effortlessly scaling the walls at the edges of the world rules, 420 turn into a hosed up bug wizard erryday

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I was fighting the pyramid boss while immune to a bunch of different stuff AND ambrosia'd to the gills when I suddenly died. The game reported the cause of death as "hit" :confused:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

[damage plus] [triplicate bolt] is also solid, and there's a bunch of other spell modifiers that give bonus damage that you can use if you can't find [damage plus]. Freezing shot, for example.

Triplicate Bolt is incredibly brutal with that one modifier that gives massive extra damage but enables friendly fire. I had a 2 spells-per-cast wand with that as an Always Cast, and just slapping two triplicates in it gave me a hilariously lethal wizard shotgun whose only downside was needing to be careful about shooting straight up in wide-open areas. It effortlessly nuked everything from the coal mines to almost the jungle before I biffed a jump and fell into lava

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

Heavy shot on trip bolt also shreds

Absolutely, though I find that it's a lot harder to use safely unless you add something else to alter its projectile behaviour. A lot of enemies are radically more dangerous at really close range.

Oh, something to be aware of: a lot of enemies become massively less aggressive if you set them on fire. A [fire trail] [basically any projectile] wand can come in quite handy if you're having trouble with the first few zones. It won't kill much on its own, but it will make it easier for you to get the job done with something else. Just be sure to carry water for when you tag yourself.

It's often worth putting [fire trail] on your main wand, as well.

Fireball orbit is like this x1000 and that's why I am unwisely fond of it. In a way, sawblade orbit is also pretty similar, if you replace "fire" with "instantaneous gory death." Give me any orbit spell and you can rest assured that I will immediately find a way to kill myself with it

e: I am also a big proponent of killing myself abruptly because my fire trail plinker detonated a bunch of explosive poo poo in my vicinity

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

ZeusCannon posted:

Its likely true the lack of modifiers is what does me in. I tend to not have a lot of gold as i am not good enough to explore much of the side areas

But i am improving still

You probably know most of this, but just in case:

In a fresh run, you can grab the emerald tablet at the east end of the mines (where it turns into the volcano area, just before Holy Mountain) and, when the opportunity presents itself, just chuck that thing at less dangerous enemies like the ghoul dudes and the lil spiders. Trick/"accident" kills produce double gold, which can help you get a bit of extra cash early on. Also remember that those rear end in a top hat fire wizards take damage on contact with water, so in a pinch, hurling a water potion at one should gently caress it up pretty good (though it's obviously better if you can carefully lure them into a flooded area or just pour water on them from above without getting shot at).

Also, the east edge of the ice caves has an opening leading to a shaft that you can climb to reach the other side of the volcano crater, all the way back at the first dungeon level. If you're struggling, sometimes you can sneak through there and double back to scrounge some more stuff from the earlier levels. Try not to climb the east side of the shaft all the way past the bridge - instead, climb most of the way, levitate over to the west side, and then break the bridge to get out. Water or blood can be used to make a path across the lava, and if you have a reliable light source, you can explore the dark caves to the west (past the collapsed mines, usually) to find some healing. It's a bit of loving around but it can absolutely reverse a doom spiral if you're able to pull it off.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I had a wand that fired two giga sawblades with accelerative homing and the area projectile teleport. It was murderously effective because the blades would zoom to the nearest enemy, teleport directly on top of it, and deal a shitload of damage. It was also murderously effective because the blades would sometimes ricochet off of walls and boomerang into my face, or home on unseen enemies behind me and fly directly into my face.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

First win! Second Kolmi kill, but the first was with a Nuke spell that promptly beaned me with a rock and tossed me into the lava :v:

The endboss itself was surprisingly a breeze, considering how butt-clenchingly tense the level before him was. I managed to put together an absolute monstrosity of a double-triplecasting, mana-adding wand that fired five chainsaws and one fireball-orbited Magic Bolt so loving fast that the recoil hurled me around like a booster rocket, and between that and my ludicrously good perks (fire, toxic, and electric immunity, plus permanent shield), I was able to brute-force literally every problem by either explosively sandblasting it to atoms or launching myself rear end-backwards into another time zone.

I usually did more damage to myself with fireball orbit detonations than the enemies did to me - except enemies with acid or lava for blood, who tended to explode into a fine mist of murderous pixels that did a concerning amount of harm to me. This proved especially deleterious since a botched attempt at hallucinating all lava into not-lava had turned all slime into lava, instead. Oops.

But yeah. Zero orbs so Kolmi went down like a chump to my doom wand; I don't think I actually took damage during the fight, and by far the biggest danger was the risk of accidentally launching my wizard booty directly into the nearest dramatic lavafall. God, it feels good to finally beat Wizard Hubris Simulator.

e: tried nightmare mode and immediately vaporized myself with an Always-Cast Giga Death Cross starter wand, lmfao this mode loving rules

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jun 3, 2023

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

animatorZed posted:

Congratulations! The first win is a great feeling.

Yes, nightmare mode is the best. you can also try exploring the regular world in other directions as well. The hubris is just beginning :getin:

Hempuli posted:

Congrats on the win! It's been a joy to read your progress posts here and in the Roguelike thread, thanks for posting 'em! :)

I haven't come anywhere close to exploring all of the crazy poo poo this game has to offer, so I'll probably be posting about those as I discover them. I found the Lukki Lair (:gonk:) and flew upwards so high that I reached the Work (:stare:) and both places very thoroughly kicked my rear end. I think I'm going to try to get to Kolmi, then see what happens if I can make my way through all the lava underneath him (ideally via fungal reality shift)

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

In my last run, I somehow shifted fire to gunpowder, and as soon as I was lit ablaze I instantly exploded for all of my health (???). In this run, I have shifted both toxic waste and lava to oil, so I can go all sorts of places by simply starting enormous fires. Just Noita things

e: I have learned not to hold blood potions when fungal shifting. Vomit to lava is survivable if you're really careful about what you imbibe. Blood to acid, not so much.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jun 3, 2023

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Hey remember that "minimalist spells" discussion earlier? I have the unlimited spells perk and just combined Accelerative Homing with Rock and I am simultaneously a) an invincible force of destruction and b) abjectly terrified for my life

e: the game is lagging. All I can hear is clattering and grinding. Everywhere I go I am met with wall-to-wall gore. Nothing lives. This is not a place of honour

e2: cutting the rocks up with Luminous Drill produces multiple smaller, radically faster, infinitely angrier and deadlier homing flechettes

I just watched a single rock literally tear one of the shielded melee robots limb from limb in the blink of an eye, I am cowering in a hole while the evil I have unleashed massacres everyone in the world

Final edit: the rocks turned on me. One carried me bodily across an entire room and threw me into an acid tank before rending asunder a nearby robot, creating an explosion that annihilated us all. I have met my just and inevitable end. At last the fear is gone. At last I can rest.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jun 4, 2023

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I tried fireball-emitter rocks on a distant cast and let me tell you: you should never cast fireball-emitter rocks in the same room as yourself, but you should definitely distant-cast them through walls to pulverize enemies that haven't seen you yet. Just be careful not to summon one IN a wall or the entire world will shake forever.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

bees x1000 posted:

I fought and killed a giant worm dude near the bottom of the ice zone. When I teleported to holy mountain, the gods were mad at me. Did the worm burrow through something to set that off?

Yeah if the Holy Mountain brickwork gets too damaged, the gods get pissy with you (regardless of whether it was your fault). There's a thingy in each Holy Mountain that the worm AI doesn't like to go near, but it's not foolproof.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

That's part of why a rapid-fire wand with Electric Charge can be such a handy backup weapon - the potential self-damage is typically minimal (as long as you don't stun yourself with it by firing it in water or something), and it'll reliably lock down a lot of enemies, both mechanical and otherwise. Even if you can't safely take your time stunlocking an enemy to death, you can usually spray-and-pray to daze any attackers and then flee to a safer position to fight on more favourable terms.

e: Boomerang Spells will still gently caress you against the super long-ranged Hiisi assholes though, yeah :v:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

What'd you do, grab the Peace With Gods perk after he spawned?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

White tracksuit Minä is such a vibe, holy poo poo

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Just found the spell modifier that turns liquid into exploding gunpowder and used it with infinite Earthquake Shot to tunnel all the way into Hell. Once down there I succeeded in killing a couple of hosed up thingies and got to look at some cool spells (Nuke Orbit :stare:) before some godawful thing blindsided me with a ball of magma. Not bad, considering my only sources of damage were "weak rapid fire electric shot stun beam" and "just explode the entire level and hope rocks fall on them instead of me"

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I suggest going west in the Mines until you can't any more. If you haven't triggered a boss fight, keep going.

Wait what? Do you mean going through the dark cave and fighting something in the hosed up alchemist lab on the other side? That place seems like a complete meat grinder for starting characters; I visited it after climbing up the volcano bridge route from the ice caves and still found it to be something of a challenge.

e: unless you mean going the opposite way from that and passing the lava? Idk which cardinal direction maps to which relative direction but I usually assume left=west and right=east

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jun 22, 2023

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Area teleport giga sawblade is :discourse:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

withoutclass posted:

I found spells laid out like I can buy them in the holy mountain but I haven't entered a portal yet. This game has so many surprises.

You found a shop! Those pop up occasionally. I think there's a semi-secret fixed one that shows up in the same (slightly obscure) place every game, but they're mostly random outside of that. Some pretty good stuff can show up in those - I had an Add Mana show up in one in the Mines earlier today, and that run went on to put together an absolutely ungodly rapidfire ping-pong triple luminous drill wand that I could calmly sweep in an arc to erase all of reality except the hidden boss I met for the first time, who turned out to be totally immune to it and obliterated my poo poo with missiles and laser beams :(

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I loving love that thing lol. Dropping it on the jetpack jerks never stops being satisfying

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

lol I like the "crouch down in a quiet corner and wait for the hyperventilation to stop" at the end

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Cobbling together a good wand and using it to dig directly to the boss while avoiding everything else is an extremely efficient strategy, but also a slightly counterintuitive one, so I wouldn't feel too bad.

Congrats on the win! Now go to the places you didn't go and kill some optional bosses :)

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

If you're gonna do optional stuff it's helpful to grab some orbs of true knowledge (you might even know where to find one or two already). It powers up the endboss but most of the optional bosses are drastically more dangerous than base Kolmisilma anyway, so you might as well grab the extra max health

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jul 11, 2023

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Yeah the Vault is an absolute shitstorm. That place is the crucible that determines whether a run is capable of beating Kolmi (without orbs, anyway). The Temple or whatever is also incredibly dangerous but if I can get through the Vault, I can almost always get through the last zone too; it's extremely dangerous, but nowhere near as hectic in my experience, so you can carefully pick through as long as you're patient and methodical. Vault is the true test imo.

And if you bypass Vault entirely, then you automatically pass that test due to having an enormous brain :v:

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jul 11, 2023

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I believe you can get one guaranteed if you... brave the super lightning mages in the Cloudscape, get the Essence of Air from the ??? room there, and then go kill one of those little floaty blue Essence Eater orbs :v:

Lightning enemies are indeed motherfuckers. Getting stunlocked to death isn't quite as bad of a "oh gently caress off" moment as getting poly'd and instakilled, but it's close.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I had a wand recently that went spark bolt with trigger -> ball lightning with increased speed, short range homing, and plasma beam orbit. That thing was absolutely loving terrifying. It supremely murdered every single thing I ever shot with it, but whiffing a shot even slightly created a very real risk of doing like 100 damage to myself in half a second as a Slapchop made of spinning plasma beams rebounded into my face

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Immune to plasma? I can't think of anything. There are some enemies you probably shouldn't plasma beam because it'll cause them to emit insane amounts of dangerous materials or other enemies, and there are enemies that can't be damaged at all, but if there's anything specifically plasma-immune, I've never seen it.

I you just want a wand that can rapidly, reliably murder whatever you point it at, a wand that shoots a shitload of plasma beams is a great bet. The tradeoff is that it can rapidly, reliably murder you as well, and it almost definitely will if you're not using it with extreme care.

e: lmao new thread title is :perfect:

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jul 14, 2023

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

dis astranagant posted:

plasma does regular projectile damage so there's quite a few things immune to it.

Huh! Good to know. In that case I'm guessing the number things immune to projectiles, explosions, and electricity is probably pretty low. Goddamn that was a good wand :science:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

No that's pretty loving funny

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Give sheep and other "harmless" critters the ability to wield wands so that poly'd players can at least try to fight back. Yes this will make poly less effective against some enemies. Yes this will result in players getting owned by a fish who picked up a wand of nuke. Working as intended imo

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

In contrast, burning and toxins deal damage comically fast in nightmare. Which one one hand, I hate, but on the other hand, I must admit is a very distinctly Noita kind of dickishness :v:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Huh! Today I learned that the candles I keep finding actually signify something.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

sebmojo posted:

What do they signify?

Apparently a cluster of 4 candles showing up means that a bones file ghost might spawn soon

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Sweet loving jesus that's horrifying lmao

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

I could see that being kind of an issue yeah :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Be careful wrt flask mixing though; it seems like something (either getting absurdly hot or catching an errant lava particle in your flask) can cause all of your water to turn to steam, which obviously isn't very good at making you not be on fire anymore. This has killed me in Vault multiple times.