Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
This game is a treat. Got instantly melted by my ghost that was carrying some elaborate plasma beam suicide weapon. No poo poo you died firing that thing former me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

So this is the first game where I've made completely broken wands before Hissi base. The first wand kills basically every enemy on the floor immediately while the second wand has always cast matter-eater so the game has turned into wandering empty floors and looting all the wands, repeat. I know I'm going to die instantly once something polys me but in the meantime this is a lot of fun.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

madmatt112 posted:

Alright, what are the hollow eggs good for? I haven’t touched them at all thus far - something about them immediately made me think “lame, next”.

Putting single use spells in item slots. Lets you carry around a Circle/Sea of X without having to dedicate a wand slot to it when you’d rather leave the wand slot open to pick up something new.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Zamujasa posted:

Apparently there was a new update today, too (on the beta branch). Wonder what's new...

The new enemy is apparently a potion mimic which is involved with a new quest line, material and spells.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
I didn’t know what was happening before I looked it up but there’s definitely a point where I was asking myself wtf some wands cast faster if light was the last spell.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

DarkDobe posted:

I very reliably get down to Hissi Base, but am extremely prone to dying there or the jungle to Dumb poo poo like being slightly too close to propane tanks, or not respecting the terrifying DPS some enemies can put out against me.

Does Berserkium affect the explosion radius of world props, or only your spells? Ending myself with a bersker-buffed bomb was a one time affair, but some of the world props are terrifyingly strong if I haven't lucked into explosive immunity (*glares at the red tanks in the vault*)

If I'm not explosion immune I'll usually skip most of Hissi base. Just go for the hourglass and anvil grabbing whatever I see on the way and spend more time in the jungle.

I've just died in Hissi too many times from either teleporting into a light fixture or being gibbed by a propane tank that you can only see a few pixels of buried in snow.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Even though you can get it right from the start on every run you probably shouldn’t. 2 guaranteed hearts right next to each other (orb and boss) in a zone that frequently has heart mages let’s you get a stupidly large health pool as soon as you find a reliable digging and movement method.

Also 5+ minutes of walking for 25 hp is a bad deal, respect your time.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Floodkiller posted:

I don't have a good gif yet of my run in thanks for the thread title, so here's one of me making Minä regret life (I'm near the top of Lukki Lair and it's slime all the way down):

Edit: Okay there we go, what the gently caress is this thing and how did it melt me instantly through 1000 HP (spoilers apparently)

vvv Okay, spoiled it but I still am confused about what it is or why it appeared and destroyed me :(

It appeared because you killed more than 30 innocents (fish/sheep etc.) I have no idea how you’re supposed to fight it, the only time I killed it I had infinite healing, saving grace and ambrosia and just outlasted it trying to instagib me.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
There’s a huge fungal zone east of the pyramid under the desert that has shitloads of wands. I almost always find what I’m looking for there unless it’s something stupid rare like vigor.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
They’re also generally harder to make good wands with. The vast majority of multicast wands have annoyingly large cast delays.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Ciaphas posted:

finally ready to have another go at the sun quest, and the guaranteed paha silma for the ghost boss isn't there :negative:

idk whether to write the run off and go win, or try to farm chests. neither's very appealing

Drag a chest up to the mountain altar and use the polymorph trick to make 1000 chests

E: the new cessation spell would probably work too and is easier.

uPen fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Apr 19, 2024

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
I dearly love the boomerang spells perk, I basically always take it if I see it semi-early in a run.

I'm fairly certain 100% of my deaths with boomerang spells were caused by me forgetting I've got it while testing wands.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Ariong posted:

I’m starting to consider instantly restarting any run where my starting flask doesn’t have water or an equivalent. It’s just such a massive disadvantage to not be able to dilute toxic sludge, and to have it be way more time-consuming to put yourself out. Furthermore, I just can’t see the utility of these flasks of berserkium, pheremones, polymorphium, etc. The early game enemies are weak enough that using them is pointless overkill, but later in the game it’s just so much more efficient to use whatever wands I have. It seems like it’s only useful if you stumble upon a tightly-packed group of fairly tough enemies, and oh yeah, they also have to be ground-based to hit many of them reliably.

I don’t want to do this though because it feels like it runs counter to the game’s spirit of experimentation and working with what you have. Does anyone have any advice for making use of a starting flask of polymorphium or what have you?

Polymorphium is one of the better starting flasks. You’re guaranteed a way to escape mountains so you can edit wands. The more wand editing you can do the more likely you are to get out of the early game and win.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Zamujasa posted:

that also holds true for any non-mina entity. it's just less consistent with chaotic/unstable

i never do the self-poly because i find it too risky. no way to judge remaining flight time and if you blow it you get dropped right into someone who snipes you dead

You can land on the top ledge and hang out until the poly wears off. As long as you hug the right edge you and the mountain will be safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
TWE from the start is great for learning wand building. Way easier to experiment with new spells and combos if you don’t have to haul every spell back to a mountain manually.