Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
I am very bad at this game, but it is very fun. Even trying to explore as long as I have health instead of running straight to the portals, I don't usually last long enough to find more max health or decent traversal wands. Mostly unrelated to being bad, I once kicked the nest that the worm egg is sitting in to the left, and then got swarmed by like 10 of the acid spitters. Was that a coincidence and they just broke out of the underground or a triggered event?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
I got a wand with always-cast circle of buoyancy, and apparently that can crash your game, in addition to just making the whole level into "move your mouse around to move, and hope more projectiles and explosives hit the enemies than you." Probably should have explored the surface with it instead of trying to go down normally, but oh well.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
I haven't gotten a real win, but with the mod that lets you respawn at the reroll idols I did manage to turn the entire coal pits into acid, and then somehow managed two more fungal shifts to escape the lake of acid in that state with nearly no solid ground. Poor Noita died in acid so many times...

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
I finally beat Noita legit, and it only took (assuming that the "respawn at reroll idol" mod doesn't increment the death counter) 137 attempts!
(If that mod does count as deaths in the game, I probably spent like half of them trying to fix a flammable gas -> acid fungal shift)
This game rules.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
Speaking of mods, I usually play without, but sometimes on death the game requires me to restart because it thinks some mod settings changed. Did they just make that one message for any reason it has to restart, or is there actually something weird going on?

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
I was having a great run, and got owned by a series of mistakes followed by some bullcrap.
Wanted to get at a chest in Hiisi base, so I used the stone that turns solids to soil, accidentally blowing up some propane on myself. Sucks but no big deal. I open the chest with my wand so I can't electrocute myself on accident, but break open a teleportatium flask and tp into the middle of an enclosed pool of toxic sludge. Luckily I had some water to neutralize it and can dig out. Have to fight some enemies right after and luckily get rid of them with a single HP remaining. I figure since I cleared everything out I can go back to the broken wand I saw and put it into the machine. I pick it up and immediately hear a single tiny "pop" and die, because apparently that was enough to disturb a single tiny pixel of explosive material.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

Zamujasa posted:

Freeze charge is also good, though you need to get it through his shield, either through point-blanking or rapid-fire.

Circle of stillness is also extremely useful for that since you can just lure him into it.

I had a wand that triggered a homing blood mist with freeze charge attached, and unlimited spellcasts that trivialized Steve, and also every non-robot non-ghost enemy. Didn't do jack against super Steve though, F to that run.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
My most recent run I was doing pretty well for myself, got a wand I put boomerang spells and healing bolts on. In the final Holy Mountain I want to steal one of the spells, so I replace the healing bolts on the wand with circle of buoyancy, except whoops no I didn't, I actually replaced it with circle of displacement. Get teleported into the lava, which thankfully instantly freezes thanks to my perk, but then I'm running out of breath. The circle finds me again, making me safe for a second before I get dunked again, and this repeats a third time. Luckily this time I manage to dodge the circle on dry land. I pause and look up the spell duration: 2 minutes. I dodge that stupid thing for over a minute before it runs out, and then immediately throw the spell out of my wand.
I proceed to beat the boss, make it to NG+ for my first time, beat the boss again, and then die to polymorph because I got greedy and wanted to cash in at the upper altar again instead of taking the easy win. What a fun, stupid game, I love Noita.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
Casts 6 spells in one click, 5 summon propane tanks and 1 plasma cutter

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
why is vomit to toxic rock a possible fungal shift. how could you do this to me Noita

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

Hellioning posted:

So I noticed this lake of lava kept spawning and after a failed attempt to cross it normally decided to wait until I got a spell or enough potions to let me make a bridge. Then I finally got a rain spell in the first area, letting me across it. It was cool. Found this cool orb, got another spell, and then I ran into a jellyfish that one shot me.

I think I see how this game works now.

You know what's funny about that thing you found? The most consistent way to beat that jellyfish without end-game one-shot wands is to make him copy a spell that will kill himself, and the spells he drops are also good ways to kill yourself.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

Mr. Lobe posted:

There's no such thing as cold immunity, right?

I think the perk that ignites any gases also works on the freezing vapor

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
1: non-dangerous damage wand
2: teleport if I have it, explosive if I don't
3: digging if I have it
4: dangerous wand or storage

First item slot is water, and is also bound to q for quick access during stressful situations so I don't just scroll past it onto a lightning stone or something. I'll put the tablet in the final item slot, for quick access during calm situations.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
good old flammable gas to acid

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
I've died a lot to standing too close to an explosive and having it get shot, but I don't think I've died until now to standing out of the range of one of those explosive spore pods, and then having an enemy teleporter mage suddenly appear and fire a black hole wand, simultaneously dragging the explosive towards me and pulling the pin on the fungal grenade.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
If you get really into the game, both FuryForged and DunkOrSlam on YouTube have really good Noita mechanic explainer videos and runs. For example, a video on how to effectively use the chainsaw spell in wandcrafting:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1hFMDaTZgA

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
Made one of those fun spam wands using the musical note tech, forgot that picking up an orb gives Kolmi the reflector, gave myself a bazillion shots of venomous curse and died. fun round.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
It turns out that having poison trail on a multicast freezing gaze wand is not a good idea, and casting a freezing spell while underwater is a worse idea.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
the brand new egg-based meta: hollow eggs will survive into a New Game and instantly hatch one layer, allowing you to carry throwable versions of powerful spell payloads right out of spawn, without using mods.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RFkJ1k1Je0

I have to assume you can also use this to kill your noita in blazing fast times with no inputs after hitting New Game.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
The new interaction with empty wands and pheromone is a compromise with the old, bugged behavior where it would spawn unlimited ghosts for you to farm money off of, because npcs don't hold on to empty wands. Now, in the current beta branch patch, instead of spending an arbitrary amount of time killing ghosts for an arbitrary amount of money, you destroy the empty wand for an instant set payout. A nicer solution than only fixing the bugged behavior, and removing a source of free money.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
I tried to do the sun quest but all I succeeded in doing was yeeting 8 sun stones into space. That's 7 parallel worlds I had to go to carrying the evil eye and killing the ghost, returning, slapping the seed on the pyramid, going all the way up to the moon, failing to blow it up in the apparently very specific way it wants, and having it zoom off-screen never to be seen again.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
I'll admit that the first maybe 3 times I wasn't doing it properly at all, and the next 4 maybe I had mana issues or the explosives were unnecessarily huge or something, but my most recent attempt I used this but with the sigma properly replaced with phi:

and it still failed. I took that screenshot before casting, asked someone if it would work, got the sigma->phi correction, and it still just zoomed until it probably unloaded or at least got stuck somewhere unfindable.

e: for my 9th one I just said gently caress it and grabbed a divide by 10 instead of a 4 and 2, and then I just straight up fumbled it. Didn't launch it, just fell straight down off the screen and still vanished. Then I said double-gently caress it, I'm going to just grab two stones at once, and then dig out an alcove and use the music note to drag it into place, and it finally worked.

Red Minjo fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Mar 20, 2023

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

Has the recent patch changed the seed generation? I feel like the seeds I've been loading aren't the same as I remember them

It fixed the chest loot tables, which might have had knock-on effects.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
If you use an external seed checker, it's also not a gamble since all of the possible shifts, including whether or not you have a potion equipped, are set at map creation. Same with whether or not Perk Lottery will proc on a particular perk. Of course, this is not playing as intended and probably shouldn't count.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

The Protagonist posted:

the ultimate losing condition in noita is when death becomes impossible to attain

I accidentally did this after smashing the suns together and triggering the ending. Not even rapid-casting touch of gold could reduce my HP below 1. Couldn't stain myself to get rid of the armor, or find an enemy to polymorph me. I ended up corrupting my save trying to end noita's life even harder.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

sebmojo posted:

200 hours in I've done it twice

I've done it surprisingly few times considering I've also managed to do one of the more massive end-game quests. 28 times in 245 hours, of course mostly concentrated in the latter hours. Even though I've gotten to the point where I can do well, I have not gotten to the point where I can do well consistently.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
Played my first run in several months, lost because I forgot just how big of a deal shooting the white orb guys is.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
Looks like the beta branch has now become the main branch.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
I just lost a game of Noita because I fatfingered the 4 key instead of the 3 key and sat in cursed rock firing off freezing glare instead of infinite black hole+heal. This, too, is Noita.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
General knowledge for bosses is that most are better dealt with via massive single shots than machine gunning a lot of smaller hits. For that guy specifically, there is actually a gimmick, though it isn't strictly necessary to exploit it.In addition to his status shots and explosive shots, he will copy whatever spell you're shooting him with, so many of the spells that are easy to kill yourself with end up being useful.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
Since cloud saves get massive for this game, I didn't transfer my save file with the crown to my new computer. I've been playing a while on this new file and finally got a god run going. Spent hours on it, slowly made myself invincible again, gathered up materials. Maybe the people who are good at this game can guess how it ended prematurely.
Was bringing the essences up to the moon since that's apparently a thing that's easier to do without a sun in the way. No moon radar for no good reason, going through the cloudy areas instead of around. Figured that surely I was high enough to go full out on my teleport wand. Teleported directly into the guy that bleeds polymorphine.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

Ariong posted:

Can you elaborate on this?

I didn’t even know you could start with concentrated mana. I’d have kept that even before I learned these two uses, as that is quite useful if I end up stuck with a wand that is lacking in the mana department for a bit.

Yeah I’m not really at the point where I can reliably get to Hiisi Base, especially on a run where I effectively start without a flask.

There is another, earlier-game use for pheromone, though it's kind of obscure, since it's basically a patch to an old exploit. If you have a little pool of pheromone, throwing a wand with no spells on it will sell it for a couple hundred gold, depending on what tier wand it is. It's surprisingly finicky though, so you may have to pick it back up and throw it again. You can even potentially make a profit on the first floor buying the cheaper wands, emptying them of their spells, and dunking them in the pheromone. This patched an earlier behavior where empty wands would spawn infinite friendly wand ghosts that tried to pick it up but dropped it instantly since it had no spells, which you could kill for infinite gold. By the way, for wands with spells, those friendly wand ghosts will actually pick up and use the wand, which can be a problem, potentially.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
"Restart with enabled mods" should fix the sound issue temporarily, though admittedly it's just a faster version of quitting out, reopening the game and loading the save.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
Sometimes, I'm forced to remember that the reason I think that the worm boss is really easy is because I usually only decide to fight it when I have melee immunity. Turns out, if you don't, then opening the egg from the top is a very bad idea.

e: If the game kept a separate statistic for "Losses after picking up the Salt and killing Kolmi," I'm pretty sure it would eclipse my wins. Any amount of EDR digging ability and I just can't help myself.

Red Minjo fucked around with this message at 01:58 on May 2, 2024

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
This may be the worst loadout that's ever managed to get me through the game I've had yet. You can tell I had dreams of drowning the world that failed to materialize without unlimited spells, but it did at least provide a nice cushion against Kolmi's shots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
Finally got a run good enough to make the sun and the dark sun on my new computer. Unfortunately, I had accidentally grabbed the spider legs perk while setting up, and then I also threw a kuu directly into the dark sun after having already displaced it a fair bit. The thought of going to get the music stone and then finding the dark sun again while under the spider legs restrictions was a bit much, and I was paranoid about getting polymorphed and messing up my end game stats, so instead of going to the boss to claim a victory I decided to just lose right there. So I'm still slightly behind my old computer's pillar of smashing together the sun and the dark sun, but at least I've got my crown back.