Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

as far as areas and whatever go how does it seem to compare to the streamer build that was out over the past week? i know that was cut back so as to not show everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

SlightlyMad posted:

Don't quote me on this but I heard that the stream build was 4 environments, the early access build should be 20? Possibly not all content is polished in later levels? I could be wrong, I am reporting hearsay.

hell, 15-20 would be amazing, so i'm excited

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah there's a lot of scenarios where more precise aiming would be preferable

i'm sure it works just fine with a controller but you're going to be playing at a disadvantage inherently

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

grate deceiver posted:

Yo, you can go past the mountain. There's an entire biome thataway. Be ready for some hard fuckery.

wait, how

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

alright, i finally got through to the other side of the starting mountain and messed around a bit on the surface until i found the point where the game devs absolutely 100% don't want you going any further, lmao. it's less exciting than one might think. went down and hosed around in the pyramid some but didn't find anything super interesting and then went into the sand caves or whatever and hosed around a bit but eventually got overwhelmed. not sure if there was a holy mountain portal to be found.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

hmm, the super dark area further to the left from the collapsed mines is spooky. i wonder if there's a way to see in there.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it definitely gets hard as gently caress once you get way further down. i was pissed because my run basically got ended by a worm chewing up the temple and pissing off the gods. nothing i could have done to stop it.

not sure if there's a clear reason to go to a lot of the side areas yet

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

what are those even for

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Culka posted:

I found a rejuvenation spell in a shop but it was too expensive at the time. I guess it would have been a way to heal.

i assume it was the restoration field. it comes with 2 casts and won't refill your entire health bar but it can be useful.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

you gotta go down into the mines and use bombs or other certain spells to dig up on the other side. it's sort of a crapshoot.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

there's a lot of really weird poo poo to find if you push the borders

got to the lake way out to the left and pulled off my own personal burning man on the island. also grabbed the constant explosion thing under it, which seems uhhhhhhhhh really questionable when it comes to even remotely being useful. not sure if anything is to be found in the lake because i started sinking down with breathless but i started getting bored and also big open things of water really make me anxious so i eventually killed myself with my own sawblade so i could just end it after getting like 3 orbs that run fir the first time since stats starting saving the way they should.

does anyone know what orbs are even for yet?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

there's no timer whatsoever from what i can tell. your main limitation is your health.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i like to think the earthquake spell is prohibitively expensive to cast for a reason

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i get that it's all part of the chaotic gameplay to some degree but i do really wish that random worms wouldn't just completely gently caress up a run by angering the gods and getting the hellskeleton dropped on you

it'd be like if you were all the way across the map in spelunky and out of nowhere the loving shopkeeper just gets pissed and starts hunting you down. usually it requires active effort on your part to kick that particular hornet's nest. i'm fine with hilariously strong poo poo coming to hunt my rear end down as long as i had a part to play in it spawning.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

they added a use for the scrolls with the recent patch. it's a bit obtuse, though.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Gamerofthegame posted:

yeah but how do you get to any of those places except the tree

or is that part of the early access dealio and, practically speaking, it's walled off

go past the tree or the mountain. nothing is really blocked off at all unless you hit the hard limits at the extreme borders of the map

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

goferchan posted:

Apparently all the references to alchemy in the tablets aren't just lore: if you manage to find something called "precursor liquid" (which might have a recipe of its own?) and mix it in a pool of blood it'll create a liquid that you can bottle up and spray at stuff to turn any surface into gold

edit: also new patch. the starting wand is a lot more destructive now and can actually dig through those annoying 1-pixel blocks of rock that get in your way

part of me assumed that maybe all the weird miscellaneous metals have something to do with making weird combinations. and the diamond. not sure!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i hope there's multiple weird concoctions players can make as long as they venture out to side areas to get certain components. performing alchemy seems like a welcome addition to the game.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

those are what certain enemies throw at you in the collapsed mines or fungal caverns or whatever.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

part of it is due to the inherently unfinished aspect of the game. like you can absolutely win a run but there's so many rough edges that it's hard to tell where what's possible and what isn't begins and ends.

the existence of weird chemical combinations to form a spray that turns everything into gold makes me hopeful for a bunch of weird, secret combinations that require the player to go to great lengths to get the materials needed for other stuff as well.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

my general wish list for the game is for stuff like toxin to be less overtly deadly because it sucks to lose like at least a third of your health to touching a single pixel of poison, and also for the game to have a bunch of wild optional poo poo to conquer in a run so we can put all these crazy spells to use.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i wonder if something happens if you get both the essence of explosion and the essence of light in the same run. it seems risky to try.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it might just be because i'm so used to a variety of roguelikes but i definitely do feel that noita kind of needs a fair bit of polishing before it can be considered 'fair'. like i get that it's early access for a reason and by no means am i saying it's some sort of failure that it's not to that point yet, it's just that i guess i kind of wanted a time to voice a thought i had in my head. it's absolutely fun as hell but in this game more than most any other in the genre i definitely get the feeling that sometimes i'm just hosed no matter what happens, you know? and to some degree it comes off like stuff that has little to do with parts of it being unfinished, which i'm definitely fine with. like some tweaking for damage from various fluids is something i'd want to see because it's odd that i feel more terrified of a couple pixels of green stuff than like most of the enemies in the game, and then in other scenarios the enemy distribution and the like just feels really loving scattershot and sometimes you drop into a zone to be immediately surrounded on all sides by like 20 things shooting projectiles at you. the snowy depths/hissho base are notorious for that.

anyways, this is a roundabout way of me saying that i look forward to any and all patches because hopefully the devs are taking comments into account and will do some tweaking. the game is hard as poo poo as it is, i just want it to feel like the clusterfucks had more to do with something i did or neglected to prevent than the game just kind of arbitrarily deconstructing itself in real time around me at the blink of an eye.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm actually not sure what the point of the spells in the orbs is because i've seen basically all of their effects for sale and whatever already before even picking them up, and some of the orbs are so far out of the way that, even with more fleshing out of their respective areas, i don't see a reason to ever actually go pick them up

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

goferchan posted:

They only drop the spell the first time you pick them up anyways . I think a lot of the stuff surrounding the orbs is semi-unfinished right now

yeah i'm kind of getting the feeling it's not implemented right. like i found a shop mid-level which sold the holy hand grenade spell component and i know for a fact i had never gotten the orb with that yet.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm kind of never sure what to do with shuffle wands because unless i stack a bunch of really similar things on it i have a high chance of just casting something outright negative for the situation i'm in and blowing myself up or just making things worse overall

it kind of defeats the purpose of what they're going for if i have to work against the idea of it to make it 'usable'

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

not getting poisoned from just like a pixel of sludge makes me so happy

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

you don't have to fire with a lightning wand to trigger a shock. you see how the sparks build at the end of the wand? if you keep it held in water long enough it automatically discharges a blast that will fry you if you're in the water as well. you can hold the tip in water while not in it and shock anything in there, though.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

do people know if some of the weirder materials like diamond and brass and whatever ever get used for a weird alchemy reaction?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

being able to crush wands to possibly get some of the spell components inside would definitely be cool. there's more than a few when i'm out and about that i would have no reason to ever want to pick up and take up a slot with but have things i might want. even if it's like a small chance per each spell component inside to get it.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

by the way, a person on the discord discovered how to make mysterious fungus. it's a set recipe. toxic sludge, sand and liquid fungus creates it. so far it'll convert sands into more of itself and is flammable but not sure on further uses. to repeat, it's not a randomized recipe like other stuff is, it's set every time.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

MMF Freeway posted:

The god room hearts should give you like 10-15 max hp

yeah, i think some form of 'guaranteed' boost would be nice to take some of the edge off so a player doesn't have to always go look for orbs or just get insanely lucky with random spawns. sometimes a person just wants to dive.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the crystal is a 'worm crystal' and it's explicitly there to ward off worms from the holy temple areas to try and prevent unintentional angering of the gods

the crystal can be broken which will, of course, let them go through there again

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

good news

it's not a glitch

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's not exactly 'any' of the temple bricks, more like an arbitrary area here or there of the temple barrier that will piss them off. it makes little sense.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i can definitely tell it's been like half a year since i've played this game because i sure as hell don't remember that thing in the top of the pyramid

also, does filling the eye of the big skull in the desert with liquid still do anything, or was that moved elsewhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

some sort of arena mode to fight off enemies would be amazing