Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Terry van Feleday posted:

Here's my Noita review.

I'm quite enjoying the game, messing around with the world and enemies and spells is really fun but there are a few frustrating aspects I hope the devs hammer out over the course of this early access period.

I like how aggressive and fast and varied your foes are but I'm not as happy with the implementation of the fire and acid mechanics. I understand that they're meant to be punitive to force you to pay attention to your surroundings but sometimes a few stray orange pixels are enough to light you up like a christmas tree, and not only is it hard to gauge how long the DoT is gonna last and how bad it's going to, unless there happens to be water nearby there is nothing you can do about it which feels really bad.
The "empty a potion, fill with water" trick exists but it's unintuitive, fussy & boring to do and sometimes you just get screwed over by RNG and don't see any potions at all. I wish you'd just start with a bottle of water by default.

In general this game is vulnerable to severe RNG swings and sometimes just refuses to hand you the tools you need to keep pace with the high level of challenge. Level generation is generally great, with one exception: The spot where you drop from the inter-level safe zone is prone to leaving you super exposed with no place to escape except the perfectly vertical shaft you came from, which is fun if you're immediately surrounded by 10 flying gunners. That opening should really offer you more geometry and cover.

Like many roguelikes, the early bit you end up doing most often is also the most boring one because you have so few tools to play with, which isn't great. The game is oddly prone to arbitrarily constricting your decision space in a way that feels ill-fit with its sandbox nature; The spells are cool and great fun to mess around with but being unable to edit wands mid-level for example discourages experimentation and limits tactical choices for little gain that I can see. I'm not fond of the random perk choice either, it was my least favourite mechanic in Nuclear Throne to begin with, but here you also get 1 less to choose from and some of them are seemingly worthless or borderline trap choices (like Freeze Field, which has niche uses but makes some things *more* dangerous in practice).
I'd like a few guaranteed drops near the entrance to give you fun choices earlier and smooth out the "RNG curve" a bit.

Enemies giving double gold when killed by the environment is a brilliant mechanic and scheming to drop something heavy on their heads or blow them up is great fun. However, gold despawns way too fast, is often hard to see in the remaining splattery mess and is prone to landing in puddles of acid or fire, making it annoying to recover.

On a purely positive note, even in day 3 of early access there is a *ton* of content, I feel I've barely scratched the surface so far and even in the early levels I keep being surprised by new stuff still.

Basically, Noita is great at presenting an interesting world & foes to deal with but its attempts to construct difficulty on top of that often feel artificial and unnecessary. It's already worth getting but it has a lot more potential that I'm hoping it'll live up to with the coming updates.

Just noting how exactly this matched the subsequent patch notes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The Personally Assured Destruction doctrine

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Tenebrais posted:

Quick cliff notes version:

Your spells can be divided into cast spells (eg spark bolt, bomb, nuke) that create objects in the world, and modifiers (eg fire trail, dualcast) that affect other spells.

Your wand reads the spells you put in from left to right.
If it reads a modifier, it will apply the modifier to the next spell.
If that spell is a modifier it will apply both the next spell, and so on until it hits a cast spell.
If the modifier is one that multi-casts, it will look ahead to get the next two/three/however many cast spells that the modifier requires.
If the cast spell has a trigger or timer, it will cast the next spell without any of the modifiers that the first spell had.

When you reach the end of the spell list, the wand needs time to recharge (how much time is a wand stat).
If your wand is a Shuffle wand, it jumbles up all your spells each time it recharges. This is not a good thing but is usually balanced by the wand having stronger stats.
Each spell takes mana; a bundle of modifiers and spells add all their mana requirements. If your wand doesn't have enough mana, it will skip to the next spell it can cast.
Your wand's cast delay limits how fast you can cast your spells if they are not restricted by recharges or mana.

This is good and clear, if the op can put it in that would be great if I could ask a games mod?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Fire totally kills things, you just have to be patient.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Noita: THUNDER GOD RUN (ends tragically)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The constant risk reward calculations, insanely brutal approach to death and hilarious randomness make it feel the most roguelike of the roguelikes to me

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

resistentialism posted:

Fireball thrower projectiles will actually pass right through you, but you have to not be standing next to whatever they hit.

the rapidfire sparkshot with oil trail was entirely hilarious, the level was drowned in extra virgin by the time I was done

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Okay, new run. This one's gonna be the one.

1:27 minutes later:

Noita.post

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

is there a mod to turn off 'you have angered the gods'? i've literally never done anything to give the divine fuckfaces the slightest hint of chagrin and the lich guy keeps materialising while I'm choosing my perks and wrecking me. i love dumb deaths, but this goes beyond dumb into stupid.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

nightwisher posted:

After a few days of tinkering with modding, I've decided to release a rough v1 of my Noita+ map expansion mod:

Noita+ on Modworkshop.net

A comparison of the original world biome map, and the mod's map:

Quoting to find this later!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Mzbundifund posted:

I'm starting to think the teleportitis perk is actually really good. It frequently turns a bad situation from getting hit 20 times into getting hit once, and the teleport auto-clears being on fire / poisoned. It's really annoying getting bounced around but so far the number of times I've been teleported into a bad situation and chained is a lot less than the damage it's saved me by getting me out of a bad spot

i teleported away from a sticky situation right into a giant pool of lava next to the exit portal, first pop, bamf sizzle hiss

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Saw this in another thread

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

NOITA: Sometimes being a witch is not fair.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I just had a very noita death, blew up a bunch of lava bees above a big lake, went on to grab the gold and got stuck on some black pixels that weren't there before, while being electrocuted by my lightning wand.

Just as I died I realised that it was the bees lava blood that had turned into rock when it hit the water.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Black August posted:

mod to edit the little angry symbols your noita spews when berserk with actual swears when

I infinitely want this now

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

is this an update, or a mod?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

i keep crashing when i kick things, does anyone have any ideas what might be causing it? I have the Noita + mod made by a goon.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

not having the chainsaw is such a pain

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

AceClown posted:

Interesting, it's also considering the energy shield a spell on the three cast too!

but you can see it's completely ignoring the last three chainsaws.

Edit: this really isn't making any logical sense :psyduck:

Noita: this really isn't making any logical sense

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

the true noita imagines herself already dead

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

If you have homing spells,then levitation trail becomes so much stronger its insane.

I've also found gold is forever makes any run work, personally

I was gonna say that first one. A little trail of enemy locating death sparks that never stop

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

finally finished it! 82 hours, lol.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

400ish

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Which ones?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

i was toodling through the mines and noticed some gold dust, which I hoovered up, and then it made more then holy poo poo gold everywhere and i see a big pool of draught of midas and then heyyy i have 8000 gold

1432548629 is the seed if you want to try it out.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

:frogon:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQNvy_QM5L4

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TmYvYkLZhE

some classic lines in this 'finland is a heavy metal nation and we can trust our people ... even our former president tarja Halonen showed 'the sign of the horns'

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I definitely thought it was a band jamming, but had no idea all the weird noises were being made live, that was very cool to watch. There is a part 2 on the band's YouTube.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

AceClown posted:

well deserved, game is a masterpiece

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Maenad posted:

How do people get good at this game? I love but and have played it a ton, but dear God I suck still.

Lol me too

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Water is your friend, take your time. The advanced starts can be fun (though sometimes you get wands with no spells lol)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Oh, and if you put a spark bolt in your bomb wand instead it's normally v rapid fire.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Zesty posted:

Super cool to go pacifist and get a lit bomb in the pacifist chest. More "gently caress you" rewards from this game.

There's a lot of neat stuff in this game but it's absolutely bogged down by bad design choices.

Lmao you got noita'd

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Goodpancakes posted:

Just got this game finally.

I started a chain reaction in the first mines right as I started. My game slowed to a crawl and the audio never recovered after about 5 minutes of screen shaking and explosions. When I eventually got down to the portal to the temple I had to swim through a sea of blood that had accumulated around that low spot at the portal. It was completely submerged. No idea how many creatures exploded in it. Five stars.

gently caress I'm bad though. I did get glass Cannon and some spell that described itself as the largest fireball or something. It completely cleared the geometry from the ice caves, and me shortly after.

you are not bad, you are noita (noita means withc)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

sebmojo posted:

you are not bad, you are noita (noita means withc)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Water turns toxic sludge into water
Put your spark into your bomb wand
Embrace your inevitable death

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Hellioning posted:

I found a wand that immediately killed me when I activated it for some reason.

Game is good.

ALWAYS CASTS: Nuke