Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
my favorite wand so far is the lightning wand which helpfully lights up the area around you, and also stunlocks you with shock effects if you ever accidentally dip it into water

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
blood insulates from fire like water, but it also gives you a bonus to crit chance if you're covered in it. as near as I can tell, berserk increases your damage output and might make it easier for enemies to notice you? i don't know if this game actually has a concept of stealth, though

another thing i have learned: it's possible to burrow through the level dividers, which you can use to head back to higher levels, but it tends to rouse dangerous lich gods that hunt after you from there on out, seems sorta like the angry shopkeeper mechanic from spelunky

e: also most importantly if you mouse over your status effects they'll tell you what they do. sometimes they're a bit cryptic but the tooltips have been quite useful for me so far

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
there's a projectile spell which casts the next spell slot in your wand at the end of its duration, which is the only way i've found so far to use spells like acid cloud without instantly killing yourself. has anybody else found other ways to make spells safer?

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
it's a shame the ice caves are so far down because the ice physics are incredibly fun. you can crack pretty much any size chunk of ice with a few bolts, and that lets you rain death on enemies or block them from reaching you easily.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i found a spell that creates a single pixel of water per cast. great

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i made it to the sixth area by burrowing straight down with the sea of acid spell. there's way more game here than i expected

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
so the area east of the first three sublevels is reserved for the elevator from the lava lake down to the ice caverns, but i still haven’t seen much of the areas to the west. i found a fungal cavern west of sublevel two, but it scared me so i didn’t explore any further than peeking at the color palette for a few seconds. it’s very blue

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
yeah i can sorta understand why you’re not allowed to loot all the spells out of wands for balance reasons, but i’m not here to play a balanced game. i’m here to scald all my skin off with a pentagram pattern of arrow bolts with acid trails

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Cool

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
the player should start every game with a nuke, circle of acid, death cross, or other incredibly lethal spell in order to teach the player not to use everything they pick up without setting it up with an appropriate spell combo first

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i'm beginning to suspect that the level generator tries to set wand rarity based on how easy it is to reach the wand. in my experience in the mines, wands lying around in a shaft will usually have a single bomb, basic fireball, or bouncy ball slotted. wands in trapped chambers (the ones with a box in the corner that activates fire or acid or something else when you pick up the wand) will have three or four attack spells or various projectile modifiers, and wands fully enclosed in rock will have the wild poo poo like 14 nukes or sea of acid. might be obvious to other people but i only just started catching on a few runs ago

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i think shuffle wands should be replaced with random wands, which have no recharge stat and instead cast from a random slot every time the wand is fired. if the random slot is a mod, a new slot is picked and it continues from there

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Ass_Burgerer posted:

So there's this giant worm in the ice zone that can dig through everything, even temple bricks, which in turn pisses off the gods into hatemurdering you before the next level.

for everyone having trouble with this, there's no requirement that you fight the temple god between floors if you've pissed them off. You'll get messed up if you try to slip past them in the perk room, so lure them into the shop area with a little more ceiling room and then run past to the next level. after you take your perk the cave in will trap the skelegod into the shop and you'll be good to go for another floor

it's not 100% foolproof, and you'll probably take some hits on the way to the next floor, but it should never be an instant KO before you even get to see anything new

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

getting to watch your horrible stupid deaths in slow motion as the save replay processes is really just the icing on the cake

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
personally i find the base to be way less dangerous than the caves, because it’s much easier to set up a chokepoint that lets you deal with your problems one at a time

also no lightning devils

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

nightwisher posted:

There's an entire discord server dedicated to finding these secrets just fyi, this has been known for at least a week now :) here's another fun one: There's a moon far, far above the starting area that, with the right combination of items will cause the moon to turn into either whiskey or void liquid, revealing the destruction spell

could you link it, if it's public? i'm interested in learning more about the game

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
speaking of homing, it makes an absolute mess of the black hole spell. it can't hurt enemies, but it'll accelerate toward them anyway, which can triple the amount of digging you get out of a single cast. or make it bounce away from where you're trying to aim

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Black August posted:

They really, really, really, REALLY need to lock down the pits from the temple going into the next level, and stop enemies from even approaching the shaft

that would be a smart choice but i hope they'll keep the toxic sludge pool that seems to have at least a 50% chance of spawning below the coal pit entrance, because it's really funny when i'm in a hurry and dunk straight into it

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
if the hidden temple always had a free holy hand grenade in it that would be amazing

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
something interesting i've found is a semi-reliable way to refill your health to maximum once without the need to enter the holy mountain, which lets you explore the overworld more safely.

in the dark area west of the collapsed mine, there's a bonus health pickup and a full health refill. it's a pain to find without light, but if you toss bombs around you can usually find it without too much bumbling around

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
the bigger issue is that that wand has a 20% chance of shooting nukes above and below you at the same time, which seems less than ideal

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i would say low gravity is good in the aggregate but it makes dodging hiisi snipers a real pain in the rear end

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
something important to understand about wands with trigger/timer spells is that the mana for the entire chain of casts is consumed up-front, and if there isn’t enough mana for the whole chain it will only cast as many as it can before running out. unless the mana cap/recharge on the wand is insanely high you’ll only get a full chain once or twice, after which you’ll only get double or single casts if you hold down the cast button

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

JonTerp posted:

Hello. I made a mod called wand2wang.

It turns every instance of "wand" to "wang".

Enjoy via this sketchy link https://drive.google.com/open?id=1AVA6i2lDS_zzrLhM2VrC3OhOZiuYPRxN

thank you for your service

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

goferchan posted:

drat people are coming up with some pretty cool spells in mods already like this projectile modifierthat makes spells follow your mouse cursor

oh my god that would be an amazing perk

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

lmao rude

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
the big green mucus monster rules because you can leave it alone and it generally won’t bother you at all, so you have full control over whether or not to Release the Acid

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Bad Munki posted:

Proposal: nuke with timer with nuke with timer with nuke with timer with nuke with timer with nuke with timer with nuke with timer with nuke with timer with nuke with timer with nuke with timer with nuke with timer with nuke with timer with nuke with timer with nuke with timer with nuke with timer with nuke with timer with nuke with timer with nuke with timer with nuke with timer with nuke with timer with nuke with timer with .......

i think this combo will burrow down, since each explosion will clear the way for each subsequent nuke to fall further before exploding. that can be handy, but if you really want to go scorched earth the only way to go is quadruple cast + 4 nukes

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
it took a while to get used to the shotgun guys. i figured that the shotgun cock would be when they lock onto your current location, but instead they just fire directly at you no matter where you go or how far away you are. they can get some absurdly long shots off

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Speaking of glass cannon, this is your irregular reminder that if you have it, be very careful with using bombs to dig.

if you get glass cannon the way to go is starting each level by firing three bombs off the ledge leading to the next level and hide in the perk room until they go off. then you can start every level halfway down with no worries about explosions killing you

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
much like most enemies in this game lightning elementals will aim at the exact spot you're at when they launch the projectile (with a few degrees of spread), which means you want to be moving perpendicular to the path of any potential projectile. if you're above or below, be moving left or right at all times, and if you're to either side, be moving up or falling whenever you're in view. using falling speed is a good way to bait out and dodge an attack, and then you should have enough time to burn the elemental down or get to safety before the next attack

the attack has a pretty big aoe, so you want to be in the air and away from walls or ceilings to avoid being clipped even if you dodge the attack

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

jaete posted:

Ok so I'm about to enter the Hiisi base

Plan is... drop the nukes down the shaft I guess... maybe try out the weird fireball thrower mods and I dunno, use that wand for the bombs?

I've never got through the Hiisi base yet, last few times I didn't have anything good enough to deal with the turrets. This time there's a wand with lightning bolts in the shop but I don't have enough gold haha. Maybe the two nukes will kill some of them? :v:

I again have the other ingredients for an explosive mist cloud wand, but like last time, don't have homing, and it is indeed kinda hard to hit bad guys without it

the hiisi base shaft is pretty short, so it's likely the nuke will knock chunks off the roof of the temple and anger the gods

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

jaete posted:

Oh poo poo that is good to know, thanks!

So I guess the turrets are like those weird flying ghost batons (which I've never seen myself yet), super resistant to everything except physical tablet damage

Hmm. Is "throw thing at enemy" the same kind of damage as kicking? Could one kick the turrets (and ghost batons, etc) to death?

kicks do one damage per, if i recall correctly. might be higher but it’s definitely not worth it

any sort of accelerated or falling environment will instakill, though. earthquake would be great for killing packs of nasty units if not for how great it is at killing you too