Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

I picked up a trait that froze liquid near me. Then I picked up a wand that shot projectiles with acid trails in a hexagon. Upon firing it once, I was immediately encased in a frozen block of acid, which burnt to me to death from full health.

i feel like a lot of getting good at this game will involve understanding what spell configurations will instantly kill you on cast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

"always carry a water flask" is probably the most useful advice for this game

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

shuffle wands are for machineguns where you just throw a bunch of bullshit in them and don't care what order it comes out in

they're fine for this, the problem is just that late game enemies don't really die to that anymore and instead you need to delete them with some kind of insane nightmare combo that you can't do in a shuffle wand, so by the end anything that has shuffle on it just seems useless

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

I Said No posted:

Had my most successful run to date. I eschewed fighting the final boss in favor of more exploration, and um. Well. Turns out there's some hosed up poo poo hiding out there.

Turns out if you can get through the lava lake beneath the final boss's area, and then use black holes to tunnel through the bedrock at the bottom of the world, you literally end up in hell. All the rock is made of skulls and twisted faces, there's lots of lava, and there are unique enemies down there that will absolutely gently caress you up by spraying lava at you or just relentlessly beaming you to death. Survive that and continue down further, and after a huge drop you end up in what I can only call Double Hell where there's gigantic demonic worms and the world sort of keeps repeating itself with copies of the stages you went through, except with hellstone in place of the usual soil.

fun fact: there's also a heaven version if you fly straight up from the mountain at the start, really really far.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

lofi posted:

What's the deal with the dark place? At the left of the first level. Anything there aside from the orb and stupid drowning deaths?

2 guaranteed max health ups, 1 guaranteed health refill, and on the other side is a continuation of the mines area filled with pools of random alchemical liquids

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

gonadic io posted:

If wouldn't be so bad if angering them meant that you could steal from shops, spelunky style.

it does: if you manage to get a spell or wand outside the holy temple it stops costing money and you can just pick it up. If you've got a black hole wand and god's already pissed off you might as well just drill out the bottom of the shop and collect your free poo poo. I think the tentacle wand lets you push them around, too.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

i've done actually over a hundred runs and i have seen exactly 2 mimics

additionally you can just mouse over the chest and look at the material: treasure chests show up as wood, mimics are a monster and thus not considered to be made of anything, and thus have no mouseover

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I am utterly convinced that if the "randomized starts" mod starts you as a lightning witch, then it removes 80% of the flasks from the first level (replacing them with eggs, lightning stones, or flasks that are placed in pools of liquid and therefore cannot be accessed without destroying them) and doubles the amount of fire/toxic sludge. And if you start as an eldritch witch then most of the wands and flasks require digging to access.

It's uncanny, really.

yes and if it starts you as a fire witch then it proceeds to give you nothing but absolute garbage for wands and spells so that the first time you run into a fireproof enemy you're left virtually helpless

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

oil blood is always going to be inherently boring, just make it lava blood and call it a day

should it come with lava immunity? you be the judge

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Luminous Drill is a spell you always want to hold on to, it can get real powerful real fast on the right wand.

so far all of my best runs have used the unbelievably boring but effective strategy of stacking together several Luminous Drills with Timers to create a long range laser lance and then using the All-Seeing Eye perk to just peck things to death through walls

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

if you're 71 minutes in and aren't either an immortal whirlwind of death or capable of depopulating an entire level from the holy mountain then you're really underperforming

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

gas fire and toxic immunity are both good, actually. being able to be hurt by less things is always good, even if those things aren't especially likely to kill you.

not as good as the other immunities, mind you, but i'll still take them over, like, more love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Ariong posted:

I do have another question. Do the effects of magic liquids just not work on enemies? I keep spraying Pheremones, Flukmoxoniuk, Polymorphium, etc. on enemies and it doesn’t seem to do anything. I just threw a vial of polymorphium at a big boss enemy and nailed a direct hit and it did absolutely nothing. So the conclusion I’m leaning toward is that it doesn’t work, but then why would you sometimes start with a vial of it? If pheromones doesn’t work on enemies, what would it even do???

they mostly do but bosses tend to be immune because otherwise you could trivialize all of them with polymorphine or pheromone.