Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

This is cool so far, but it makes me feel like I've skipped a tutorial. How do you do anything with the things that go in the "SPELLS" part of your inventory?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

KillHour posted:

The game kind of tutorializes it by bringing it up when you are first able to. If you don't know what I'm talking about, keep going.

Oh, I guess I've always died after getting the spells but before being told how they work. Thanks, I'll carry on.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Oh, I guess I missed that. Thanks.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Nee player question. I have a non-shuffle wand with 5 spells/cast and 6 spell slots. When I equip it with the following spells/modifiers:

code:
Sparkly Bounce
Light
Spark Bolt With Trigger
Toxic Mist
Every cast fires a spark bolt that generates damaging sparks and a cloud of toxic mist upon hitting a surface. This is the behavior I expect. However, I am confused by what happens when I add another Spark Bolt with Trigger, like so:

code:
Sparkly Bounce
Light
Spark Bolt With Trigger
Spark Bolt With Trigger
Toxic Mist
The behavior I would expect here is that each cast would generate a spark bolt that generates damaging sparks and another spark bolt upon hitting a surface, and that spark bolt would in turn generate toxic mist upon hitting a surface. That’s not what’s happening. It’s quite hard to tell what is happening, a fact which has often hampered my ability to understand the wandcrafting system and thus enjoy the game. I’m hoping someone here can help.

I think what’s happening is that each cast generates two spark bolts that perfectly overlap each other, one of which generates sparks upon hitting a surface. Since they overlap perfectly it’s impossible to tell from looking at the projectile whether it’s two or just one, but I think it’s two because the board in the holy mountain shows two spark bolt with trigger symbols when I cast. The toxic cloud just… never happens? That’s the most confounding part to me.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Ciaphas posted:

perhaps the extra trigger bolt is running you out of mana and skipping spells? can you post the rest of the wand's stats?

Oh, I think that must be it. The wand’s stats are:

Cast Delay 0.10s
Recharge Time 1.08s
Mana Max 70
Mana Charge Speed 225
Capacity 6
Spread -2.0°

So it has a mana max of 70 and the mix of spells I had in it cost… 71! Taking out the light modifier brought it down to exactly 70 and now it works as expected. Thank you.

Is it generally welcome for new players to post questions in this thread regarding wand building?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I do have another question. Do the effects of magic liquids just not work on enemies? I keep spraying Pheremones, Flukmoxoniuk, Polymorphium, etc. on enemies and it doesn’t seem to do anything. I just threw a vial of polymorphium at a big boss enemy and nailed a direct hit and it did absolutely nothing. So the conclusion I’m leaning toward is that it doesn’t work, but then why would you sometimes start with a vial of it? If pheromones doesn’t work on enemies, what would it even do???

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I made it the furthest I’ve ever made it. Unfortunately I died because I couldn’t get to my little pool of ambrosia for some reason. Presumably there was some tiny little bit of stuff that prevented me from getting in there this time but not the previous times for some reason.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Is there a way to place flasks gently on the ground to clear up an inventory slot without breaking them?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Thank you.

More generally speaking, any tips for a new player? The main thing that’s bothering me currently is that it feels like my damage output is supposed to be way higher and there’s something I’m missing to get me there. For example on my most recent good run I made a wand with damage plus, bloodlust, and magic arrow. So that’s 53 damage per shot, pretty good fire rate (2 or 3 shots per second I think). But I got to Hiisii base and it just wasn’t good enough. Every enemy just soaked up so much damage and got so many shots off before I could kill them. I died from attrition.

It feels like once I have a decent wand, almost nothing new I find actually helps. Like, putting additional projectile spells onto the wand isn’t going to increase its damage unless that new projectile does more damage than the current one, in which case I would replace rather than add. Most projectile modifiers are cool but practically useless gimmicks. (Gunpowder trail? Charm on toxic damage?) In short very few of the different things I can find actually help me kill enemies faster, just differently. There’s always more powerful wands, but once I find one that’s down to like 0.05-0.10 on both cast delay and recharge time that’s about the best I can get, and it still seems not good enough.

Then there’s stuff like the boss in that lava area to the right of the first underground level, which seems so impossibly insurmountable that I feel I MUST be missing something. So, what is it? What am I missing?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Thank you everyone for the advice. I always figured that, for example, spark bolt with trigger into spark bolt would just result in the first spark bolt hitting the enemy and a second one flying in a random direction away from the enemy. It certainly helps to explain the existence of the strange multicast options.

However, I am currently trying to put your advice into practice and it doesn’t seem to be working. I’ve created a wand that has 4 spells per cast and the following spells slotted in: Spark bolt with trigger, spark bolt with trigger, magic arrow, spark bolt with trigger, magic arrow. Based on my understanding of the game each fire of the wand should make two spark bolts,, one of which generates a magic arrow on collision, the other of which generates a spark bolt that generates a magic arrow. Based on your advice, nailing an enemy with this should cause all the follow-up stuff to go off inside it, resulting in 29 total damage. Here’s an example of what happens instead:

Pathetic, literally worse than a magic arrow by itself. Where am I going wrong here?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Letmebefrank posted:

Do you have enough mana for all of the spells?

Easily. Here are the full stats of the wand.

Shuffle: No
Spells/Cast: 4
Cast Delay: 0.07s
Recharge Time: 1.17s
Mana Max: 480
Mana Charge Speed: 10
Capacity: 5
Spread: -4.0 deg.

I think at the end of that clip I might have run low on mana due to the bad mana charge speed, but at the beginning of the clip you can see I nail a direct hit with enough mana for every effect and it deals 9 damage, with at least one of the magic arrows going sailing off to the right.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Is that Magic Arrow missing because your triggered spell is making another triggered spell, and the second trigger misses? I think it's generally better to have one triggered spell make multiple other spells inside the enemy (with modifiers like Double Spell) rather than chaining triggers together.

To test this I made a wand that goes: Reduce recharge time, spark bolt with trigger, triple scatter spell, magic bolt, magic bolt, magic bolt. That seems to work… sometimes.

What’s causing the inconsistency?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

What exactly is the deal with Chainsaw? I’ve tinkered with it and it makes little sense to me. For example, right now I have a starter wand with two slots. If I put in spark bolt, then chainsaw, it fires slightly slower than if the chainsaw wasn’t there. If I put in chainsaw, then spark bolt, it fires slightly faster. I don’t understand why it is different. It also doesn’t seem to have a particularly good effect on speed either way.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

dobbymoodge posted:

Did you pick up the projectile duplication perk? That will break virtually every wand build, especially if they depend on trigger spells.

Edit: if you don't mind mild spoilers, the old man has a good "wands 101" video: https://youtu.be/-W4o-6_omXI

I can’t remember what perks I had during that run. Is there a way to make the HUD visible in replays?

Thanks for the recommendation.

crimedog posted:

This will make wand building more difficult. It's still doable, of course

True but I think I did successfully make the wand I was trying to make in that instance.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

AUGH. Just had a super promising run going, finally made some progress into the dark area on the left of the first level. I was brought down to low health and tried to make my way back to a health regen pickup I had saved for that purpose. However, I found that my exit route was now filled with liquid, a layer of teleportatium beneath a layer of water beneath a layer of flummoxonium. It was impossible to navigate. The ceiling was too low to fly above it, and in order to get through I had to go down into the water layer, which would instantly wash off the flummoxonium and reverse my direction. I had to try and time my change of arrow key to perfectly match the moment when the water overrode the flummoxonium, which I was never quite sure when it would happen. Furthermore if I tried to hover for long enough to run out of levitation energy, I dropped into the water with enough momentum to hit the layer of teleportatium and lose all my progress.

Once I finally got past all that, I hit a pocket of unstable polymorphium right at the end, where there was a ceiling laser firing down. Between the flummoxonium, polymorph, and pile of copper, I ended up with so many movement hindrances that I literally could not move from the spot directly beneath the laser.

The worst part is that had previously I predicted that laser would be a problem on my way back and tried to destroy it, but for some reason those dinky little things are invincible. Shooting them just generates an endless amount of copper powder, and firing a black hole at them just leaves them floating in midair, the stuff they were anchored to having been vaporized. So I made a good planning decision but wasn’t allowed to implement it because of a seemingly arbitrary design decision and got killed for it. :sigh:

EDIT: Woah, weird. My game just crashed. No crash dump.

Ariong fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Apr 18, 2024

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

drat, I shot one for a full minute and gave up when the pile of copper it produced was 10x larger than it and almost reached high enough to block my shots from reaching it. I figured that was my sign that I was engaged in a fruitless endeavor.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I’m starting to consider instantly restarting any run where my starting flask doesn’t have water or an equivalent. It’s just such a massive disadvantage to not be able to dilute toxic sludge, and to have it be way more time-consuming to put yourself out. Furthermore, I just can’t see the utility of these flasks of berserkium, pheremones, polymorphium, etc. The early game enemies are weak enough that using them is pointless overkill, but later in the game it’s just so much more efficient to use whatever wands I have. It seems like it’s only useful if you stumble upon a tightly-packed group of fairly tough enemies, and oh yeah, they also have to be ground-based to hit many of them reliably.

I don’t want to do this though because it feels like it runs counter to the game’s spirit of experimentation and working with what you have. Does anyone have any advice for making use of a starting flask of polymorphium or what have you?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

uPen posted:

Polymorphium is one of the better starting flasks. You’re guaranteed a way to escape mountains so you can edit wands. The more wand editing you can do the more likely you are to get out of the early game and win.

Can you elaborate on this?

The Protagonist posted:

Concentrated Mana melts metal/robots and converts water to itself: a single flask can core a hole through a whole hiisi base sometimes

I didn’t even know you could start with concentrated mana. I’d have kept that even before I learned these two uses, as that is quite useful if I end up stuck with a wand that is lacking in the mana department for a bit.

BMan posted:

I'm terrible at remembering to use buff potions, but there are some great utility potions in there:
Acid: Dig into sealed treasure rooms
Polymorphine: Sneak out of/into holy mountain
Pheromone: Gain a pet healer in hiisi base

Yeah I’m not really at the point where I can reliably get to Hiisi Base, especially on a run where I effectively start without a flask.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

resistentialism posted:

To collapse the holy mountain the player has to be in a small zone in the upper left corner of the inverted u-turn corridor. If you're not the player but instead a sheep, even being in that zone won't collapse it.

spoilered it

Oh, neat. I could see that being useful if all my wand slots are full and I find a wand with some good spells on it.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I don’t know anything about NG+ or its mechanics, but if it helps I did once find CoV pretty early on, early enough to use it in the icy depths. I don’t remember whether I bought it from a mid-level spell shop or whether I bought a wand with it from a holy mountain, but it definitely wasn’t an always cast.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

“Can’t shoot straight up or down” they said…

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Is there a trick to getting the empty-wand-into-pheromone thing to work consistently? I did it for the first time earlier this week and it took so long to work that I was in the middle of drafting a post saying I couldn’t make it happen when it suddenly did, completely randomly. Now I can’t seem to make it happen at all.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Tried to get it to work for like half an hour. I give up. :geno:

Ariong fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Apr 26, 2024

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I’ve been ambushed!

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Yeah I feel like if teleportitis dodge A) didn’t proc on fire damage and B) couldn’t teleport you directly into a pool of lava then it would be only moderately useful, but those elements make it actively harmful.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Why is adding magic guard to this wand causing some of my shots to fly around all wacky?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Weird, you’d think that would result in some shots going the opposite direction. I guess the magic guard things run into the sparks from the side.

I have another question about magic guard. Some configurations result in the shield appearing around the enemy I hit rather than myself. This doesn’t line up with the information on the wiki, which unequivocally states that casting the spell causes the guard to appear around the player. Why does this occur?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

𝔅𝔈 𝔑𝔒𝔗 𝔄𝔉ℜ𝔄ℑ𝔇

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Hempuli posted:

IIRC this is because when the guard spawns, it selects who to rotate around by finding the closest object with a specific tag. This is because when the spell was implemented there wasn't an easy way to tell the spell object the ID of the object that shot it (or possibly there was but I didn't know how to access it yet), so in order for both the player and enemies to be able to cast it without too many issues I made the spell do a lookup like that. There are a bunch of other spells of that kind too, I think.

Neat. This lines up with the fact that the problem was mostly solved when I made the guard cast directly from the wand rather than a trigger spell, but even then I noticed that sometimes when an enemy was very close to me they would get the guard instead of me. I guess they were closer to the tip of my wand than I was.

It was hard to tell because at that point any time I started casting I became a big ball of opaque light due to the sheer amount of magic guards.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Clark Nova posted:

hell yeah, let us know whether you get polymorphed or taken out by something that erases your entire health bar in one tick

No, though there was one moment after that when I was fighting an enemy and I literally physically recoiled because my still-developing sense of game knowledge suddenly kicked in and told me the pools of pink fluid I had been fighting around and hovering over for like half a minute was some flavor of polymorphium.

I actually won the game for the first time on that run. Totally shredded the end boss. I still had an extra life in the bank, too! I’m glad for it because when I put the thing in the machine it said “killed by midas” and if I hadn’t had the extra life my thoughts would have been consumed by curiosity over what would have happened if I did have one.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and I didn’t keep the wand like that because I assumed that healing fields also heal enemies, and I didn’t really have a safe way to test it and the wiki didn’t say anything one way or another. So I ended up switching my offense to a different wand and keeping the healing one in my back pocket for when I needed it. Was that correct?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Yeah, this was kind of a weird edge case where I was able to make a wand with ridiculous healing but couldn’t get my damage output all that inspiring.

Also, LENS FLARE!

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I’m experimenting with fungal shifting for the first time. So far I’ve turned:

Oil to Sima
Water to Sima
Blood to Sima

Jesus Type Wizard Beats

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Letmebefrank posted:

It is vappu time, so not very surprised

I keep staring at this emerald tablet but it’s not translating!

Also LAVA TO SIMA BABEY!

EDIT: :wtf: How did this happen? I entered the holy mountain and immediately got the “YOU HAVE ANGERED THE GODS” message, then went forward and saw this. I definitely haven’t touched the worm crystal.

Ariong fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Apr 30, 2024

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

GOD DAMNIT. Of course this would happen during the wacky Sima run. Why would it happen during a normal run? No of course not, it’s the fun one where I sat around for half an hour setting up a crazy fungal shift that it all gets thrown right in the trash for no reason. I’m so so so so so bummed out and disappointed. :(

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Clark Nova posted:

A worm did it. The crystal under the holy mountain is supposed to repel them but it is far from perfect

Ugh! Worms seem to be very annoying and pointless. I feel the same way about them as I used to feel about the weird multicasts and modifers: that there’s a bizarre amount of emphasis placed onto them relative to what they add to the game. Worm-based perks, worm-based fluids and flasks, worm crystal, all kinds of bespoke mechanics in service of what seems for all the world to be a very run-of-the-mill enemy that apparently sometimes borks your run. I hope at some point something clicks and, like with the aforementioned weird multicasts and modifiers, I realize that there is a whole dimension to them I am not seeing that makes all this worm stuff totally worth dealing with.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Can someone explain this phenomenon? I’ve seen it happen a few times but just got killed by it for the first time.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Zamujasa posted:

it looks it may have been a leaky corpse. sometimes when a mob dies some pixel(s) of its corpse will become stuck in some way where it constantly generates the corpse's "blood"

you see it a lot with steve, where bone dust will sometimes just rise up like a mountain from some bit of his body

Oh, I see! I knew that this particular enemy bleeds lava but it didn’t occur to me that it would continue to do so after death. And it’s no wonder it happened here, because in that clip I killed it with sawblades. Thank you!

Gromit posted:

Particles up-warping is very common. When something wants to spawn in the world and the space above it is full, it will sometimes keep looking straight up until it sees a free space to appear in. That's why you will see gold appear on the other side of a platform to where a creature dies. It's very common with fluids and why you avoid standing over the corpses of things that leak lava/acid/toxic. You can use it to your advantage by spraying water through terrain onto one of those fire guys in the first area to hurt or kill them.

I was just in WandMart looking for a healing spell (no luck) and found my ghost there, woefully underpowered with a starter wand. I've never seen it outside of the main path down before.

I’m familiar with that phenomenon (mostly from losing gold nuggets to it!!!) but that isn’t what happened in this case. The place where I died there is exactly where the lava-bleeding devil guy died.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I am not merely a clown. I am the entire circus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Just watched a new player guide and it was all stuff I’ve already learned… except for the fact that drinking worm blood lets you see into that magically dark area, which is something I never would have discovered on my own in a million years. Seems like there’s lots of stuff in this game that is obscure to the point of being incredibly unlikely to discover organically.

Is there a middle ground between looking up all the secrets and just risking that you’ll never discover a bunch of stuff? Maybe a good hint guide somewhere?