Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Apologies if this topic has been driven into the dirt, I just got here. Is there any way to turn off the "you have angered the gods" thing? Literally every single one of my good runs since I got my one win is ruined by that loving invincible-rear end skeleton getting pissy about enemy behavior and deciding to take it out on me. I haven't actually personally damaged the temple since I was learning what the Black Hole spell does. I just want a safe place to optimize my wands dangit. :(

At the very least change the text to "THE GODS HAVE BEEN ANGERED", make the skeleton mad at everyone, and make it not show up in every temple from there on. I had one run where I managed to slip past it twice, got to the end game, it decided to wander out into the final boss arena, and when I came out myself it hit me with a guided bolt that knocked me into the "you left the temple" earthquake. Which is a hell of a way to die but still aggravating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

nightwisher posted:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e5iz0bw88pqib4b/angry_god_begone.rar?dl=0

This is my little wrath removal mode, stripped from my Noita+ mod. Basically guts the function, I was going to remove the scripts entirely from the holy mountain but I actually have a use for them so I left the triggers in. Let me know if it causes any issues. It's not Ommel compatible but it only modifies one file that pretty much no one ever touches.

Thank you! I'll give it a playtest soon...though it'll be hard to tell if a mod that removes a randomly-occurring event is working. :v: Unless it still flashes the "you have angered the gods" text, just no skeleton gets spawned?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

nightwisher posted:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e5iz0bw88pqib4b/angry_god_begone.rar?dl=0

This is my little wrath removal mode, stripped from my Noita+ mod. Basically guts the function, I was going to remove the scripts entirely from the holy mountain but I actually have a use for them so I left the triggers in. Let me know if it causes any issues. It's not Ommel compatible but it only modifies one file that pretty much no one ever touches.

Either I installed it wrong, or it doesn't work. :( I'm on the beta branch, and put the angry_god_begone folder into the "mods" folder. I noticed that the example mod has an init.lua that your mod doesn't; is that essential?

On the plus side, I managed to kill the guardian in a stand-up fight, through copious use of a Summon Rock Spirit wand and a triplecast flaming whatever-miscellaneous-projectiles-I-had-on-hand wand. But goddamn am I sick of not being allowed to play with optimized wand loadouts because I keep getting interrupted in the one place I'm allowed to edit wands!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
No, no I did not (enable it). :doh: For some reason I keep expecting mods to just engage automatically by being in the right part of the filesystem.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Nyyen posted:

And speaking of which, can the total stunlock effect of projectiles be lessened some what? I don't mind losing my flight ability, but losing horizontal control seems excessive. It makes me terrified of every little projectile and not in a fun way. I just fear the bullshit.

I got hit by a teleporter wizard and landed right next to a robot with a pistol. I literally couldn't get away from the robot because every time I started to move it'd knock me out of the sky. But I was already almost dead so at least my torture was brief. I'm having trouble imagining how you'd get out of that situation without some real quick thinking. Maybe a teleportium flask throw?

It does seem weird that so many of the perks are actively harmful. Like, I don't see any circumstance that would have me taking Teleportitis, Boomerang Spells, Freeze Field, Slime Blood (despite the projectile resistance, the slow movement would just be so goddamned annoying), or More Love. And Invisibility/Stainless Armour seem basically useless unless you also have Repelling Cape.

Shoutouts to Homing Shots for making me way less accurate, too. It has a real knack for locking onto targets that are nowhere near where I'm aiming. Also shoutouts to Perk Lottery for literally never activating for me. :mad:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

No, no I did not (enable it). :doh: For some reason I keep expecting mods to just engage automatically by being in the right part of the filesystem.

Alright, so, this may well work, but it also changes a whole bunch of other stuff. I've noticed that gold drops all appear to be doubled, wands in the starting area are way more varied, and once when I teleported into the temple, instead of the landing area where the portal dumps you, it was just a wide open shaft leading straight down into the coal pits. The perk area was replaced by a similar wide open shaft.

Can I just delete everything from the mod except for temple_check_for_leaks.lua? I'm guessing that's the code that normally handles spawning the guardian, seeing as your version of it is an empty function.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Falcorum posted:

I accidentally picked up the concentrated spells perk just before, and let me tell you, it doesn't work very well when chainsaw is your main source of damage.

This is a feature and I will be so mad if they ever remove chainsaw jetpacks.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Synthbuttrange posted:

gunpowder trails are terrifying with bouncing projectiles like sawblades.

The green bouncy bullet is even better, but the best is the cloud spells. Toxic Mist + Water creates a stupefyingly huge amount of water, and any cloud + Fireball Emitter will shoot fireballs for a long time.

It just occurred to me that you can probably make homing mists. If the mist homes in, would the fireballs the mist shoots also home?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Did they get rid of wormblood giving you vision through walls? I took Worm Attractor, killed a worm, drank drat near all of its blood, and as far as I can tell I got nothing from it.

Also, rip that character, died from a sniper falling from the sky and taking a potshot before I could get into cover.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Found one of those guys from the Temple of Magic tooling around the Collapsed Mines with a bouncy-ball wand. They have gobs of health so I tried to spray chaotic polymorphine on him to turn him into something that would die easier. It got on me instead and I turned into a fish. Sadly he shot me before I got to see if fish can die of suffocation outside of water.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I kinda wish they'd just put the Fungal Caverns where the Collapsed Mines are currently. You can find high-quality wands there at the cost of it being obscenely dangerous, especially with your starting gear. I always try to beeline there as soon as I get to the Coal Pits currently, basically ignoring the "actual" level.

Got my second-ever win (with 127 deaths) today. Made a wand that was magic arrow with trigger into quad damage-amped giant magic missiles for the boss fight. Trigger spell into multicast basic projectiles is surprisingly strong; for ~half the game my primary attack was magic arrow with trigger into flaming triplecast magic arrow. Not enough to one-shot everything, but way better than trying to land those arrows individually.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
"Nuke with trigger" should 100% be a spell in the game, just so you can find wands with six of them in a row.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
What kind of wand setup do y'all usually go for? I generally have one digging wand (black hole and/or bombs), one unlimited attack wand, one limited attack wand (firebolts / magic missiles, mostly), and one for looting with.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
You know what would make Slime/Oil blood more interesting? If they meant that being slimed didn't slow you down, and being oiled didn't make you slip all the time.

As it is the slime mage is going to be tediously crawling around much of the time because they'll inevitably run into their own slime mists.

(also gotta love starting as a slime mage and being taunted immediately by two wands and a flask that all require digging to get to, with no barrels or explosive crates anywhere nearby)

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Bad Munki posted:

Oh. Oh god. The summoner's nuke, thousands of geeks exploding out of a singularity.

Could we please get a "minion trail" spell effect

Have it summon those tiny flying flea enemies from the fungal caves.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Bad Munki posted:

Can we roll our own shaders and get them in there? Because it'd be cool to have a sort of circular warping as the body, making it look like the legs are reaching out of a mobile wormhole or something.

Have the legs actually reaching out of a portal, and they attack by dragging things into it. If you go into the portal you get teleported to the spider dimension.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Polymorphing into the temple guardian: deeply disappointing.

As far as I can tell, you don't get their giant pink homing blast, just the little pew-pew orb.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Maybe slime blood should make you go faster when you're slimed. :v:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Augh those little flea enemies are immune to fire what the heck. I got dogpiled with my fire mage that was really relying on burning enemies not being aggressive (my attack wands were really slow and mostly just spread fire everywhere).

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
As I understand it, the slime/oil blood perks have the following effects:

* Obviously, you bleed the relevant liquid.
* You get resistance to projectiles (slime) / explosions (oil). Not immunity, making Shield / Explosion Immunity pretty strictly better for this
* If you have Vampirism you can drink slime/oil to recover health, as if it were blood.

super nailgun posted:

Not pictured: A split second before when all of those goblins were stacked up such that it looked like there was just a pair of healers there, waiting for me to get close and kick them to get some free health!

Reminds me of the time I died to like 8 of those little purple guys in the first area. I shot one of them, wandered over to pick up the gold, and all of the others that were standing exactly on top of the first one kung-fu-kicked my rear end into the dirt.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Hempuli posted:

I'm one member of the team, yeah. I designed the enemy that spawns minions upon taking damage, sorry about that

The big green eyeball, the big Hisili guy with the horns, the giant purple mucous monster, or the fleas in the fungal caves?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

I Said No posted:

This is a myth, it isn't actually true. One of those things that seems like it makes sense so people think it's a Thing.

Bah, the wiki lied to me. Thanks for the correction.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Venuz Patrol posted:

i think this combo will burrow down, since each explosion will clear the way for each subsequent nuke to fall further before exploding. that can be handy, but if you really want to go scorched earth the only way to go is quadruple cast + 4 nukes

Why not hexcast? :colbert:

I'm finding the various themed starts to have a common problem: they need to find (or be able to buy in the temple) better wands before zone 2, and they aren't very good at digging, so they're very dependent on the layout of zone 1 whether they'll be viable or not. Vanilla Noita can always at least put spark bolt on the bomb wand and be OK for one more zone...but more importantly, the bomb wand means they're much less likely to be unable to reach wands in zone 1.

EDIT: bahaha. Started a summoner witch, threw one of the starting eggs into a pool, it spawned a bunch of fireflies that immediately died from the water.

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Oct 25, 2019

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

I found a wand once that was stuffed full of nukes with the chaotic-path modifier as its 'always cast'. Another one was a shuffled wand with a bunch of nukes and a pentacast. I think the game likes giving you Russian Roulette wands...I mean, the entire game is like that, but even moreso when it comes to nukes.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

dis astranagant posted:

That spell that makes a single pixel of water is pretty close.

https://twitter.com/logodaedalus/status/1187235747381702656

(Breathless + Electricity + Water projectile modifier attached to an infinite-use spell)

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I once managed to get stuck between the cart at the beginning of the game and the slope leading into the first zone. Kicked it, it landed on me, we both froze.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I feel like immunity to fire should still burn oil off of you, you just wouldn't take any damage from it. Like, I know that standing in the fire clears stains quickly, but the oil stays should keep burning after you leave the fire.

Unrelated: it's amazing how useful "spark bolt with trigger + some other projectile" can be. This thing was super-reliable and, thanks to the Heavy modifier, didn't have nearly the "accidentally cut my own head off" side-effect that Summon Disc usually does.

EDIT: I found a wand that had "always cast Holy Bomb" on it. The first time I fired it it blew up in my face, almost killing me. So I set about removing the "energy orb with timer" and "poison trail" effects from the wand...and misclicked, dropping a bomb at my feet with not enough room to get away from it. RIP.

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Oct 28, 2019

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Molybdenum posted:

I looked in the debug and I think it can't find falling_everything.pdb (it looks in a bunch of places before crashing) and after a search I do not have that file anywhere on my PC, but it also won't download from steam...

Yeah, that's a problem. falling_everything is the library they use for the pixel simulation, so if you don't have it (or the debugging symbols for it) then you're not gonna get far. Try contacting the devs; I imagine they'll want to know about your issue.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Helter Skelter posted:

Also maybe a hardware thing? I think I also saw something about the game not liking older (like ~7 years old?) CPUs.

I'm using an Intel i7 960 from 2009, so not all old CPUs are problematic.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Toxic Mist on an "always cast oil" wand with a fire trail:

https://i.imgur.com/ZQZ4LO0.mp4

EDIT: the game is not happy about the Hisili base being a mess of fire, smoke, and oil. The framerate keeps alternating between normal and ~.5FPS.

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Oct 28, 2019

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

GulagDolls posted:

so far the only run i've won has involved drowning and electrocuting the final levels. the enemies there are..really hard to deal with if you havent found some cool poo poo

This is why I make a habit of going to the fungal caves ASAP. Either they kill me or I find non-shuffle wands with good capacity/recharge and some high-power spells. I'm still reliant on luck to get a trigger spell to set off the alpha strike, but usually there's one available.

My first win was by finding a wand with innate doublecast that was stuffed full of giant firebolts. I dove through the last three levels doing basically zero exploration. That's another way to do it but it's not exactly reliable.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I've seen those shotgun guys leap up from out of cover, cock their gun while flying over my head, land behind me, and plaster me in the face with all three rounds. Their ability to track a target is unreal.

The lava bees are good. I could do without the mucus monsters' blood getting everywhere, but they're also otherwise good because they will murder the poo poo out of you if you let them get too close.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Next time, put it on a rock that also drips acid.

(I have no idea if this would work to create a tunneling, fireball-spewing hellzone, but it sounds like it should)

EDIT: on variants: it seems like I'm not getting the slime class any more, but summoners seem to be really common. Did they just replace slimes with more summoners? Or am I just getting weird luck?

Anyway, my electricity witch just got offered these three perks: Electricity, Electrical Immunity, and Low Gravity. :mad:

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Oct 29, 2019

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Don't their projectiles also polymorph you? I seem to recall that being the case, and polymorphing is super dangerous because you get the new form's max HP for the duration. Also watch out if/when you kill them, because they release a colossal amount of bone dust that can easily bury you if you try to grab the gold they drop.

The Magical Temple is bad news in general, what with the awful visibility, permanent toxic mist traps, enemies that resist a lot of damage types, and the flying wands. I've found that the best way to handle it, if you have some black hole wands, is to go underneath it as much as possible. It's lined with superdense rock, but there's often a small corridor between that and the actual temple that you can traverse.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
For those who are wondering: yes, the portal absolutely will kill you too. Why would you think otherwise?

^^^ it's an update.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Protip: don't get bit by giant worms. poo poo does like 100 damage.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Melee immunity is honestly a really useful perk. Lots of enemies are rendered completely harmless with it, and they're the ones that otherwise can really easily combo you into oblivion too. Most notably, the purple mucous monsters, the jungle spiders, the fungal fleas, and of course worms are all completely defanged by it; the worst they can do to you is block an explosive shot so you get clipped by the detonation.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Hamelekim posted:

The best is a wand that has always cast acid trails. I can't say no to something like that.

I want to see a perk that lets you edit the "always cast" attribute on wands.

I've had pretty good luck with acid trail on the weakest fire spell, the one that shoots a small, slow-moving bolt. It's pretty controllable, and because it's so slow it has plenty of time to dispense acid.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Playing as the thunder witch is always a good time. For example, this time I was in close quarters and thought "I'd better not use my lightning wand to kill this guy because the explosion will kill me" and used the wand I'd found instead and died because the sawblade bounced off the ground and hit me in the face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I am 100% not regretting using the no-angry-gods mod.

That said, what'd you use to kill the guardian?