Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

I thought the homing perk wasn't that great until I got some death crosses.

Also in this run a chaotic polypotion exploding in the ice zone happened to create the recipe for Alchemic Precursor, so I'm fabulously wealthy and can dig down through everything. This might be the run, assuming I don't foolishly explode myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

This happened because a medic picked up a wand and hit me once with a chainsaw about 15 seconds earlier.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

The big spiders are the coolest enemies in the game and I wish versions of them showed up in places outside just the jungle and the final boss

Their ability to tunnel through anything might be a bit much but the way they move around terrain would make them work well in the Vaults.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Chaotic Polymorphine is the most dangerous enemy in the game.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Yeah the random formula for the Draught of Midas, which turns every solid object it touches into gold, in your world happened to collect together in that pool.

Basically for each world seed 3 random materials (totally random, the recipe is frequently impossible to get working) combine together to create blue Alchemic Precursor, and when that comes into contact with meat it turns into the Draught of Midas.

Darox fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Oct 20, 2019

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

This is the rudest thing I've had happen to me through no fault of my own.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

I played around with modding and created a railgun spell.

Being able to freely shoot through walls is incredibly overpowered.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Like 9 lines down from the mana values is the list of spells. Should have two copies of LIGHT_BULLET.

You'd have to go look at gun_actions.lua to get the proper IDs for the spells you want but the most important one is TOUCH_GOLD

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Modding this game is pretty fun.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

One of the properties of chainsaws is that they don't modify the existing wand cast delay, they just set it to 0. So if you have a multicast set up in the right order the chainsaw negates all of the cast delay from the other spells and on the wand. If you also have enough chainsaws/diggers/etc to reduce the recharge time to 0 you get a wand that fires every frame.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

I released a mod.

It lets you set things on fire.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

The hard decisions of modding:

The second shot is definitely more fire but it obscures the central symbol and causing 15 explosions with a single cast can potentially generate slowdown even at the best of times.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

Also, have you given some thought to my question about doing similar spells for the other elements?
I don't really have any interesting ideas for spells like that for other elements.

I did make this though

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

A great tip for when you have already angered the gods anyway, because that can't be done without doing so.

You can absolutely go in and out of holy temples without triggering the collapse or angering the gods, you just need to use a teleport spell to skip over the line trigger that causes it.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

eke out posted:

learned that in the newest beta, by eating 200s worth of fungus, you trip hard enough you turn all of one substance in the world into another

so enemies can uhh bleed lava, for instance

Learning about this has ruined 100% of my runs. Water turning into anything makes fire and toxic sludge much more hazardous and Hiisi base gets real dumb when enemies bleed solid rock.

Still gonna continue eating far too much fungus.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

AceClown posted:

I think some top level perks should be given their own tier with a gold border and then make it so the main world has a guaranteed gold perk in the main seven holy mountains. Have it so that they do still have a lower chance to spawn in the overall perk pool so you can still farm PWs and NG+ for ones you're missing.

Suggesting that that Edit Wands Everywhere (and the other good perks) should be even less likely to show up feels like you're missing the point entirely. For game changers that can outright negate enemies like explosion or melee immunity I can understand, but EWE is a massive quality of life improvement to avoid the incredible tedium of dragging wands to holy mountains. You could say "just don't do that" but even if you sacrifice all flexibility by giving up 3 wand slots (so no reliable digging, no teleporting) to carry unusable floor wands to take the 1-3 good spells stuck on them or rip everything off to use it as a base on the next level you're still going to depend heavily on RNGs favor to give you enough good spells concentrated on the right wands to keep up with the difficulty scaling. You're doing the awful grind or you're getting really lucky or you're dying early.

I don't use any other mods that make the game easier but I keep using the mod that grants EWE because playing without it makes the slog of inventory management unbearable. I found out that insanity mode always gives you EWE at the start so I've been playing that unmodded for a change. It's pretty fun, although the higher difficulty plus the rng of the starter pack means sometimes I just immediately restart because the wands and perks are unworkable.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

I got to play with 2x Spell Duplication and the Divide By modifiers for the first time.

Turns out 100? thunder charges is very good at turning everything into a fine powder.

E: Oh god horizontal path doesn't stop omega blades from climbing.

Oh gently caress oh poo poo.

Update: I hit a swapper wizard with one and lost 2.5k hp in half a second, but also it instagibbed the wand squid and the mechanical spider bosses so I'm going to keep using this deathtrap.

Darox fucked around with this message at 17:39 on May 21, 2021

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Honestly unlocking all the hidden spells doesn't really change regular gameplay for the first 1-4 floors. All the fancy modifiers are extremely uncommon outside of their unlock zone or shops in The Work(s) and most of the orb spells aren't big gamechangers except for nuke, which half the time will be because you suddenly died to an offscreen enemy blasting a rat.

They're neat but getting fireworks instead of magic missile really isn't going to make a run crazy.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

The absolute best way to cross lava oceans is fungal shifting lava into something harmless, next best is using lava to blood or water trail and creating a rock tunnel through it, madmans option is just diving in while spamming a strong healing wand.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

I don't mind enemies with immunities but healing from certain damage types is awful. You can't really kill the purple spiders with something like the Explosion Vulnerability curse because they heal from projectile damage and undo all your explosions. It is possible to kill them with the right combination of weakening curses and crazy wands but honestly you should just use a Freeze charge Tentacle or not even bother, which is kind of lame.

https://i.imgur.com/2YxcepF.mp4

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

It looks like a regular bomb. You can see it bouncing into the fungus directly below you at the start of the gif.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Tuna-Fish posted:

Doesn't that turbofuck you once everything else is dead?

Giga sawblades are only mostly dangerous without a homing target, they'll just arc back to their origin. It's the omega sawblades that actively hate you and seek your demise, but you can make them harmless by locking their regular movement with something like Horizontal Path.

Totally safe.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

With enough projectile repulsion fields & energy shields (as well as fungal shifting the poly liquids into something less dangerous) even the danger of polymorph can be effectively removed, though projectile repulsion also has the downside of making healing wands much harder to use.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Holding the fire/electric stones grants you damage immunity to that type, which can be very useful before you get the perk especially for the fire stone. Water is a good fire deterrent but it's not great when you want to dive into a pool of burning oil to rescue some gold nuggets.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Note to self do not put piercing on the trigger for the world eater wand.

Things get ugly when it spawns 40 giga black holes, thank god for horizontal path.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Sax Solo posted:

You are right, and also that is another reason why it would be fine and good to nerf spark bolt w/ trigger.

Disagree, there's a massive collection of spells that are useless or near useless if they're not attached to a trigger projectile and very few good trigger projectiles, especially since the small number of other potentially workable ones have gigantic mana costs relative to spark bolt and even to their regular versions, and/or they need other modifiers (like homing) to actually make them useful as a delivery projectile. The only good early-mid option is spark bolt trigger with magic arrow and magic bolt being okay.

Trigger disk projectiles, bouncing balls, energy balls, lightning bolts, giga disks should all exist imo.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Disk projectiles should have a trigger version with the hidden effect of also making all the triggered spells capable of friendly fire. I feel like it's lore appropriate.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Saws are amazing, all of them are incredible for damage. The small ones blow every other basic spell out of the water for damage to mana, medium is probably the most risky for smallest payoff but can still do impressive cheap long range damage, and the Big Saw deletes things. The wand boss past the volcano gets removed from existence instantly by big saws.

Eric the Mauve posted:

IIRC the saws home in on the player specifically rather than on the entity that fired the wand. It's been a long time since I've tried it though, so I could be misremembering.
There's 3 kinds with 3 different behaviors
Regular disks bounce off surfaces and can cause friendly fire but are otherwise a normal projectile. Giga blades arc back towards their origin if they don't hit anything. Omega saws hate you personally and unless they have a projectile modifier overriding their movement they will start aggressively homing towards the player after about a second.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

strategery posted:

Why anyone uses giga blades without blade immunity (mod) is beyond me

This is the most disgusting thing I have seen in this thread. How can you live with yourself knowing you are denying saws their greatest hope in life, the possibility of turning a Noit into a blood fountain.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Short Teleport Bolt is one of the best spells in the game and I always dedicate a wand slot to 'movement wand' as soon as I get it. It's good for long distance, it's good for avoiding hazards, it's good for combat mobility. Regular teleport bolt does okay in a pinch if you can't find the short version.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

If there was a version of Nightmare without the HP scaling that makes anything past coal pits into huge damage sponges that force you to make a broken wand even earlier than normal, I'd love that game mode. The damage scaling is fine but I really hate going into Hiisi with an adequate but not great wand, seeing a single robot and saying "guess I have to play keepaway with this fucker for five minutes to kill it"

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Simply tag him with a Giga Black Hole
https://i.imgur.com/6DfazyH.mp4
It's Safe™

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

madmatt112 posted:

Lol those first two shots drat near gibbed you

Luckily the Noit is immune to almost all physics damage, otherwise you'd gib yourself during the traditional minecart kick at the start of the game. The most notable exception is collapsed concrete, the material created by earthquake/nuke spells (and temple collapses), and if you've ever been near that stuff you know it's super lethal.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

The only bad thing about the introduction of fungal shifts is that you can't just decide to get absolutely obliterated on mushrooms on a whim because the shift clears your trip when it happens.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

If you hit 200 seconds duration you're sure to get a shift unless you're in the cooldown period.
Really it should just be that the fungal shift doesn't clear your fungus buff when it triggers. That way you get the fun of trying to figure out what happened while tripping balls.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Almost every single spell unlocked by meta progression is either mostly irrelevant or locked to extremely high rarity/non-existence outside of the boss that unlocks it or random shop spells in The Works, so I don't see how unlocking them in a previous run matters at all. If you can traverse The Works you could just go beat up the boss that unlocks the spell. The only real exceptions for unlocks are the dragon orbit spells and nuke, the latter of which mostly just make things harder on you when a random hiisi picks up a wand and fires it at you.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

I was playing yesterday and shot one of the flaming skulls that drop exploding gunpowder when shot. They were next to a portal to Holy Mountain, and after I killed them and the little explosions went off.. the portal went away! I've never seen that before, I didn't know that could happen!

There's an eye in the brickwork under each portal filled with teleportium, if you remove that the portal vanishes. I'm guessing the random gunpowder explosions managed to burn it away.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Ariong posted:

Is there a way to place flasks gently on the ground to clear up an inventory slot without breaking them?

The further away your cursor is from you, the harder you throw an item. If your cursor is directly on top of you when you throw you'll gently drop the flask with a ~99% success rate of not breaking it.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

It's not that Worm Blood has an incredibly specific effect just for that one zone, it's that drinking worm blood gives you "true sight" or whatever you want to call "see through walls" vision, and that lets you see in the dark tunnel. The All-Seeing Eye perk that does a similar thing also lets you see in the dark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

It's interesting the first time, and then it quickly becomes tedium when you're dragging wands back to the temple so that you can strip spells off them.