Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

A Sometimes Food posted:

How Roguelite is the rogueliteness of this? Is there like a persistent town/base or is it more like you can eventually unlock stuff by clearing or whatever?

There's no immediately apparent unlocks or meta progression . There's a log that tracks the different spell effects and perks you've discovered but that's it as far as I can tell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

SlightlyMad posted:

Don't quote me on this but I heard that the stream build was 4 environments, the early access build should be 20? Possibly not all content is polished in later levels? I could be wrong, I am reporting hearsay.

That's a lot of levels! If I'm cautious I can consistently make it to the ice caves in level 3 but between the having to watch out for damage from freezing vapor & how devastating the electricity demons are I usually eat it almost immediately. Also I just had a really fun run -- I picked up a "high recoil" spell modifier and wondered when the hell you'd ever use it, but then the next perk I got was Low Gravity -- combining the two let me fly all over the map REALLY fast and it felt great

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Pro-tip: hold crouch while standing in liquid to drink it. I just drank "Worm Blood" and now my screen is warping and pulsing different colors

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Oldstench posted:

Mouse+keyboard or controller?

M+KB for sure

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

grate deceiver posted:

Yo, you can go past the mountain. There's an entire biome thataway. Be ready for some hard fuckery.

Yeah I also found a way into a (different, I think?) ice biome by crossing the really big lake of lava in the east of the mines. Seems like there's more options than straight down 👀

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Zedlic posted:

I think it's the same bug as restarts the game every new run. Seems to clear all progression, at least for me. Every run is the first one.

Nah even though it's resetting stats , if you click "Progress" in the menu you can still see a list of every perk and spell effect you've discovered across all your runs. The bestiary section seemed to be bugged though unless there's some other requirement to make monsters show than just killing them

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Are you able to mix and match spells? I know you can put multiple spells in a wand and it's either random or in order what casts, but I put an acid cloud on the default want expecting it to make acid clouds on impact and, instead, it just spawned one on me and started melting me. Is there a way to combine these things so I can throw ranged acid clouds?

Yes but you need to find a spell with a little icon on it in the corner (a clock and something else i forget) and equip it -- firing one of those will cast the next spell on your list at the projectile's location either after a short amount of time has passed or on impact, respectively. That lets you make spell launchers and spell grenades and poo poo

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I'm really excited for this game. It's been a lot of fun and some of things that annoy me the most are things that can be addressed with polish - the game is already fun and the future looks bright.

One of the most concerning elements about the Modern Roguelite Design is meta progression. Nothing destroys my enthusiasm for a game quite as quickly as meta progression. I'm thrilled to report that it seems like Noita does not include meta progression - thank god.

I think this might actually not be true but it seems to be buried pretty deep. I know of 2 secret things right now that seemingly "remember" being discovered during previous runs. I'm just not sure what they do lol

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

abraxas posted:

I'm not 100% sure what this means but I hope it means that there IS some meta progression. I understand being kind of a rogue-like purist or whatever but while the game is a ton of fun to play and I don't regret buying it at all, the "no meta progression" (in my plays so far) has really kinda bummed me out. Makes me feel like the good run down to level 3 or whatever was completely meaningless. Even if it just let me keep some gold or let me spend the gold I earned for some one-time buff for the next run (that you can skip if you don't care about meta progression) or something like that. Even just randomized starting equipment or a choice out of three secondary wands or.. I dunno, ANYTHING but a weird complete restart of the game with a new seed. But hey, that's what EA is for so I'm not really worried.

To not just be a whiny baby about the game, I think the physics are absolutely insane. There's so much stuff that keeps blowing my mind. The liquid physics with oil swimming on water, the fire spreading. They even simulate the smoke! Stuff's real good, and it can only get better from here I hope!

Yeah there seemingly is I'm just not sure how it works yet. Like I'm not sure how I triggered it but now a chest spawns right next to where the game restarts with a random wand in it in addition to my starting kit

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

From reddit, there's a hidden config option that automatically saves a gif of your deaths! Pretty cool:

quote:

Pretty cool feature tucked away in the config file for the game, here's how you enable it:

You'll want to hit Windows+R or type "Run" into your start menu. Then copy/paste the following and hit enter:

%appdata%\..\LocalLow\Nolla_Games_Noita\save_shared

Alternatively you can navigate to the following directory manually if you have hidden folders enabled in explorer:

C:\Users\(user)\AppData\LocalLow\Nolla_Games_Noita\save_shared

Then you open config.xml in Notepad or any other text editor (I use Notepad++). Find the line that says replay_recorder_enabled="0" and change the 0 to a 1, [like so](https://i.imgur.com/2U3ppGq.png) and make sure to save the file. Start up the game and upon death you will have the same option as the video!

The death replays are stored here:

C:\Users\(user)\AppData\LocalLow\Nolla_Games_Noita\save_rec\screenshots_animated

That's the same base folder as the config file is in, so keep that handy!

[Here's what the end result looks like from the video](https://imgur.com/6ER3qpt). Compressed by Imgur of course, the saved files look better but you get the idea.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

So is there healing beyond the rare hearts? I thought drinking water or eating corpses might do it but that doesn't seem to have any effect beyond just draining whatever you need drained.

As someone said earlier, a single bad immolation or poisoning can take a third to half your health.

Outside of certain perks, no. Catching on fire/getting covered in poison is maybe a little too devastating right now but the big protip is find any potion, pour it all out, and then fill up the empty bottle with water so you can rinse yourself off .

edit: oh cool ^^^ never seen a health potion!

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

haunted bong posted:

yeah it seems super rare, i've only found it the one time. "healthification potion" or something goofy like that

Lol also I found a wand today with a ton of charges that heal whatever they hit, except the caster. I guess you could drop it near a humanoid enemy and hope they decide to pick it up and shoot you with it?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Venuz Patrol posted:

i found a spell that creates a single pixel of water per cast. great

Lol yeah I'm sure there's some combos that make it work but I couldn't even put out the fire on my own robes at a reasonable rate by firing it into myself

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

ohhh do enemies drop double money if they die from something other than direct wand damage? good to know

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

The patch made it so that any time I enter a portal it crashes. I guess I'm taking a break for the night. Hopefully it's patched tomorrow.

I get a weird stutter sometimes since the patch and if I click during it I'll get a "not responding" error but if I don't click and just wait a few seconds the next level will load fine

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Oh drat just realized the trip-out effect from drinking worm blood isn't just cosmetic it gives you that "all seeing eye" spell effect where you can see through walls and parts of the screen you haven't explored, at the cost of everything being all warped and hosed up

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Mindblast posted:

So does shuffle mean it rando's the shots and otherwise it fires in exact sequences? Is there a version that chucks everything at once?

depends on your mods and ordering. for example if you have a Pentagram mod and then five spells listed after it, it will cast all five at once in each corner of a pentagram. I think they could definitely improve the UI with some hints (like spells being visibly "linked" together in the wand screen when you have mods like that) but once you gently caress around with it enough it's mostly intuitive.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Gamerofthegame posted:

yeah but how do you get to any of those places except the tree

or is that part of the early access dealio and, practically speaking, it's walled off

No you can definitely get to them if you find a method of digging, flying , etc . You can't do most of them with your starting kit though. is there one in particular you're wondering about?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Apparently all the references to alchemy in the tablets aren't just lore: if you manage to find something called "precursor liquid" (which might have a recipe of its own?) and mix it in a pool of blood it'll create a liquid that you can bottle up and spray at stuff to turn any surface into gold

edit: also new patch. the starting wand is a lot more destructive now and can actually dig through those annoying 1-pixel blocks of rock that get in your way

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

ZearothK posted:

What are orbs good for, anyway?

I believe they permanently unlock the spell they drop to show up in the random pool the first time you find one . Collecting them again works like a max HP+ . But since there's a count of how many you've collected during that current run people are thinking there's some secret to be found if you complete the (insane, extremely long) route to find them all and beat the game in one run

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

This gif from reddit is sick. gently caress polymorphine potions you can build your own worm wand

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Been doing some testing and it seems like the "trail" effects scale with the size of your projectile and the results are pretty drastic. Attach one to a medium or large energy orb and you can flood a room very very quickly. Got a water trail one combined with the perk that makes you electrocute everything around you and it was very fun until I got too close to a tank in the ice fortress and found out they cause a huge explosion if you electrocute them

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

tildes posted:

The tentacle is also great for water and fire effects, if you hit it right you get a ton of water really quickly. I’d really like to get it on a water breathing run and just drown everything.

Speaking of tentacle, cool use for it-- if you can manage to pull an item out of the Holy Mountain shop and get it into the next zone, you can pick it up for free. I think this might be possible with gust of wind too?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Yeah right now the game is extremely fun to play but not quite so fun to play to win. Which is just fine with me at this point, honestly, they've got plenty of time to work out balancing and difficulty issues. The core game is so loving cool.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

BaconCopter posted:

All-Seeing Eye is unsurprisingly, really good.

Yeah it's excellent. Sometimes I go kill the worm in the tree just so I can drink its blood and get the effect on the first floor. Also while typing this I realized I can probably bottle up some worm blood and have a reusable source of it without taking up a wand slot. Holy poo poo!

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Pro-tip for my fellow water flask lovers-- you can right click a potion icon in the hotbar to empty it immediately instead of having to dump the whole thing out pixel by pixel

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Ooh another find. Beating a level with no direct kills (so only accident/environmental stuff) spawns a chest in Holy Mountain. It seems like any other random chest -- done it twice now and I got 200ish gold the first time, a wand on the second .

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Here's the map of the world to scale. Pretty loving big!

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Man Lightning Bolt is really easy to kill yourself with but other than that it's insanely OP. It's a highly damaging railgun with infinite charges and great range and accuracy . I just got one floor 3 and then got super excited when I picked up the "electrified" perk in holy mountain and immediately in floor 4 i landed on one of those steel floors and electrified one of the freezing gas canisters and detonated it and was instantly killed :smith:

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

nightwisher posted:

The world map for this game is really, really bizzare. I'm sure they plan to fill the empty areas but just the way everything is laid out in those world maps people have charted are surreal and almost whimsical. It reminds me of being a 10-year-old kid and designing new sonic the hedgehog levels on A3 sheets of paper with the most arbitrary, silly layouts and crazy ideas possible.

there was an AMA right before release and when one of the devs was asked about how "complete" the game is in early access they basically said that most of the planned areas exist in the game currently but only the early areas are "fully polished". So I'm assuming the plan is that the lateral zones will be fleshed out in the same way that the main branch is, at some point. Agreed that right now they're really empty but they're also incredibly cool to see for the first time when you're only used to going straight down

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Honestly one of the biggest things I'm looking forward to being balanced/fleshed out is max HP upgrades. They can EASILY make or break your run and right now they seem completely random to where you might find 3 in the first zone or you may go down forever without running into one . I think it needs to be more consistent like tied to killing an elite/out-of-depth enemy on each floor or something

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

skaianDestiny posted:

Haven't been able to tell what effects the different liquids have if you drink instead of dunking.

Water and oil don't seem to do anything, potions give you that effect, and lava kills you. Haven't run into a sludge one to try yet but going by potions I'd guess that poisons you and also that whiskey makes you drunk. No idea about gunpowder or any of the super secret alchemical concoctions though

edit: alchemy is really confusing in general lol and makes me wonder if some recipe stuff is randomized per save file or what. Across multiple runs I've consistently managed to mix Berserkium with Polymorphine to create Chaotic Polymorphine but I've also heard other people saying this doesn't work for them. All I know is that you can definitely pull off some cool poo poo in this regard (with the obvious alchemical end goal of the midas conconction, which definitely exists in the game and turns whatever it touches to gold -- it's just that nobody's sure how to consistently make it yet and it's mostly just been stumbled upon). All in all though the idea of alchemical liquid mixing is such a cool concept and I hope it continues to be fleshed out

goferchan fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Sep 29, 2019

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I will say that if you have a chainsaw those guys that appear when you anger the gods are no longer scary and just become a free source of a million gold . Just jump inside of their shield and you can take them out in a few seconds pretty easy

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Gamerofthegame posted:

tentacle spell is powerful a f, always get it

also i dropped down into the ice caves that run to have two groups of jetpack dudes on either side of the cloud and a worm immediately came up to make me fall through the floor

yea sure guess i'm dead

It can steal from Holy Mountain too (only spell components though not wands). Circle of Levitation also works or whatever it's called

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

IronicDongz posted:

imo you shouldn't start with a water flask, you should start with an empty flask. both because it'd be more interesting to find something to fill it with, and also because it would tutorialize filling flasks to new players(I have an empty flask, what should I do with that?)

That's a great idea. Hope Hempuli is reading this

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

IronicDongz posted:

There's a lot of cases where this can happen. Falling rocks after getting a perk, falling ice from shooting ice structures... I've been killed by a random bit of debris that got flung out of a giga black hole. Safe to assume most physics objects can kill you if they hit you hard enough.

I don't think ice does it, i've intentionally tried and couldn't get it to hurt me. Same with the stalactites in the first room of the cavern. It seems to be only a specific material called "broken concrete" (or something close to that?) and the material is only spawned, as far as I can tell, by nukes and by the Holy Mountain collapse after you pick a perk up

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Mindblast posted:

So can you head east/west straight out of the gate or should I just go down, get armed, and clamber out again? Used my starter bombs to get out the mines and journey east topside but I just get mauled by these floating tuskan raiders. They don't think much of my og zap stick!

You definitely CAN explore topside without much preparation (easiest way is probably get a chaotic polymorph potion floor 1 and use it to take advantage of flight or ideally worm form so you can either fly over or burrow through everything) but if you're looking to get geared up first your easiest route back above ground will be heading as far as you can to the right once you reach the ice caves. You'll find yourself at the bottom of a big chasm that should be climbable to the surface if you take advantage of the dents in the wall

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

violent sex idiot posted:

i died to "physics" damage after using earthquake and having the top of the level right out of the pipe fall on me so maybe its related to the temple bricks

Tested this a little more and I'm pretty sure part of Earthquake's effect is converting materials in range to Collapsed Concrete (that's the actual name) -- it can definitely crush you to death even if you're nowhere near a Holy Mountain and if you survive casting it and mouse-over the parts of the environment that fell, they'll have that label

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Johnny Joestar posted:

i'm actually not sure what the point of the spells in the orbs is because i've seen basically all of their effects for sale and whatever already before even picking them up, and some of the orbs are so far out of the way that, even with more fleshing out of their respective areas, i don't see a reason to ever actually go pick them up

They only drop the spell the first time you pick them up anyways . I think a lot of the stuff surrounding the orbs is semi-unfinished right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Clark Nova posted:

Picking one perk at start would be a really good boon, and the perks are powerful enough and varied enough to make it completely game-changing

That's another good idea, I think "more consistently interesting starts" is something that would really help the game out and that way you have something to build and play around from floor 1. Right now the mines are in a way the weakest part of the game IMO -- they're not that dangerously if you play cautiously, and so your only incentive not to scour every inch of the floor for wands and gold and max hp boosts is just skipping that and pushing ahead because it's kind of tedious to do so. I kind of like that there's no timer but there needs to be something besides boredom keeping me from min-maxing by sweeping the whole first level