Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
When I was in 6th grade I was in special ed because of autism and ADHD and a kid pushed me out of my chair because I was being annoying by bouncing a freshly sharpened pencil on its eraser, and the pencil went up my nose when I hit the ground. I was lucky that it didn't stab me somewhere else in the face, and that it caught on the inside of my right nostril instead of killing me by going all the way up. There was a lot of blood but rather than send me to the nurse's office the people running that program just sat me in a chair with a hankerchief and a cold can of V8 to press on it until it stopped bleeding. I assume this was to prevent them from getting in trouble. In 7th grade, if there was a kid having a tantrum the school I was in would wrap them in a scrap of carpet and transport them to a small concrete cell with a solid metal door (as in no bars, just a flat door like normal) and lock you in there for a couple hours. It was about the size of a shower stall and there was a drain at the bottom, I guess in case you had to piss. That school handled both middle school and high school age kids, but also wasn't accredited, so if you happened to "graduate" part of the 12 grade curriculum was helping you get a GED.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

When I was transitioning back to normal middle schools from ~special~ schools that would gently caress you up even more, the school system had the bright idea to do only half the day at the normal schools each day, so I was dropped off in front of the glass-walled lunchroom as the only passenger of a short bus during lunchtime, so everyone having lunch at the time saw me get off a short bus. Because any behavioral issues would be reported and I would be intensely hosed for any mistakes I made, any kid who wanted to could fully capitalize on that and I just had to take it or get hosed right back into GED land. Probably the worst incident was just getting full force punched across the face during class while the teacher was occupied, but pretty much every day was just a one day at a time getting by kind of experience.

tatterhood posted:

Holy poo poo, I'm pretty sure that violates the Geneva Convention. I'm so sorry, I can't even imagine the scars that kind of abuse would leave you with. I hope you're doing better now.

Burdens are more easily carried on our backs than in our hands. :)

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Yeah thinking back on it, it basically seems to me like many of them probably started out wanting to do good, but weren't cut out for it given the amount of funding they had and the stress the students could give them. Ultimately, the reason I tell those stories is just for awareness so people know what can actually go on in special ed programs, because of lot of kids got ignored and many are still getting ignored, and they don't really have good advocates. The education system in the US is already hosed as it is, and when it comes to special ed, expectations are so low that it seems like the goal is just "deal with them until they're 18 because we can't legally just throw them away." The low expectations were absolutely there though. I now have a master's degree in computery management poo poo, but in 6th grade, the head of the program set up mock interviews for potential jobs to get. Keep in mind, I'm like 11 at this time or something. She asked what I wanted to get a job doing, and I said I wanted to make video games. As part of this mock interview, she told me to give her the first 5 lines of code for a program that generates prime numbers. I was like "I am 11, what the hell?" She told me I should set my sights on something more realistic like working at a gas station. Again, this was the head of that program and this is what she thought of our potential.

Anyways hopefully this is enlightening to some people!