Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Season 2 Airs October 1st!
Carmen Sandiego is a Canadian-American Netflix animated action-adventure series with educational elements, based on the media franchise of the same name. In this series, the usually villainous Carmen is actually our hero. Wikipedia lists the premise as this:

Wikipedia posted:

Carmen is a modern day Robin Hood, traveling the globe, stealing from V.I.L.E. and giving back to its victims. Cloaked in red, she is accompanied by her hacker Player, and her assistants Zack and Ivy. Carmen is publicly perceived as a criminal by most law enforcement agencies – or actually, make that a master criminal due to the sheer scale and theatricality of her heists. We will follow her escapades and get to determine not only where in the world but “who” is Carmen Sandiego?

The players in this game are:

Carmen and her team

Carmen Sandiego (Gina Rodriguez): The eponymous 20-year-old heroine seeking to dissolve V.I.L.E. and donate their stolen funds to humanitarian causes. This Carmen is notably different than previous incarnations, who were leaders of V.I.L.E. and lady thieves. Carmen was found as a baby abandoned on the roadside of Buenos Aires, Argentina 20 years ago. She takes her name from the tag in her hat, since her code name "Black Sheep" was the only name she previously knew. At a young age, she used to be a student at V.I.L.E. Academy until she left when she didn't want to take the life of anyone who gets in her way after stowing away on a mission and seeing what really goes on in V.I.L.E. She is also nicknamed "Carm" by Zack and "Red" by Player.

"Player" (Finn Wolfhard): A white-hat hacker from Niagara Falls, Ontario who helps Carmen plan her heists. He also gives Carmen intel about the places she visits, keeping her updated on the local authorities, and possibilities she may have missed. Player has met Carmen in person at least once, as he has the stolen V.I.L.E. drive, which he uses to plan out Carmen's trips to the caches of V.I.L.E.'s stolen goods.

Zack (Michael Hawley) and Ivy (Abby Trott): A brother and sister duo who assist Carmen on their heists. Generally the comic relief, these bumbling sidekicks nonetheless get the job done when it counts.

A.C.M.E.

(From right to left)
The Chief of A.C.M.E.(Dawnn Lewis): Head of A.C.M.E. and supervises all of the organization. She is inspired by the Chief from the PBS game shows, played by Lynne Thigpen. She has only appeared via hologram in the series, but believes Carmen may be a lead to helping A.C.M.E. prove the existence of V.I.L.E.

Chase Devineaux (Rafael Petardi): A French Interpol Agent turned A.C.M.E. Detective. He, along with Julia, is one of the only two officers to get close enough to see Carmen's face. He is arrogant, pompous and constantly over-estimating his own abilities.

Julia Argent (Charlet Chung): A British Interpol Agent turned A.C.M.E. Detective. She usually does the logistics and fact finding that Chase would otherwise overlook or disregard. Unlike Devineaux, Julia is highly intelligent, competent and perceptive. She, along with Chase Devineaux, is one of the only two officers to get close enough to see Carmen's face. While Chase constantly blames Carmen for the actions of V.I.L.E., Julia is more open to believing Carmen is instead stealing from other thieves.

V.I.L.E.
Vile High Command:

From Left to Right:
Coach Brunt (Mary Elizabeth McGlynn): Carmen's "mama bear" when she was growing up, and a member of the head faculty at V.I.L.E. teaching combat and physical training. She was Carmen’s favorite teacher, and she had a soft spot for Carmen. Carmen always thought that Coach Brunt was the one who found her, so the two shared a good relationship. Brunt, like the other faculty members, was quite upset over Carmen’s betrayal. However, it seems that Carmen still has a soft spot for Coach Brunt.

Professor Gunnar Maelstrom (Liam O'Brien): A member of the head faculty at V.I.L.E. teaching psychological manipulation. Unlike the 1994 animated series, Gunnar Maelstrom is a member of V.I.L.E. Sinister and quite psychotic, Maelstrom is often the classic Machiavellian type villain, coming off as creepy to the V.I.L.E. graduates.

Countess Cleo (Toks Olagundoye): A wealthy Egyptian debutant and one of V.I.L.E.'s head faculty teaching culture and class. She seemed to not really care that much about Carmen, and always tried to use her etiquette lessons to get rid of Carmen’s rebellious streak.

Dr. Saira Bellum (Sharon Muthu): A mad scientist and one of V.I.L.E.'s head faculty and master inventor; teaching technology and science. She is willing to destroy the food supply of Indonesia just to shill in a market for an artificial commercial brand. She is of Urdu ancestry in this incarnation. She tends to multitask even during council meetings, focusing on numerous screens of information, much to Maelstrom's annoyance.

Shadow-san (Paul Nakauchi): A master thief, skilled swordsman, and a member of the head faculty at V.I.L.E. teaching stealth and covert thievery. He was the hardest on Carmen, and failed Carmen when she was unable to steal a dollar from his coat. Ever since, Carmen has been under the impression that he did not have a dollar in his coat.

Notable V.I.L.E. Agents:

Sheena/Tigress (Kari Wahlgren): A spy with a cat-suit and mask, who is particularly antagonistic toward Carmen, even while at the Academy. Carmen felt like she needed to prove she was better than Tigress at pickpocketing, due to Tigress acing a test set by Shadow-san that Carmen failed.

Paper Star (Kimiko Glenn): A psychopathic master of origami weapons and a V.I.L.E. agent; she is Maelstrom's favorite pupil. While on the contrary, Shadow-San rightfully believes Paper Star to be too psychotic to carry out orders.

Mime Bomb (Nobody, he's a mime): A silent spy and snitch; dresses as a mime artist for public camouflage. He is usually used by the faculty to spy on the students, which is also how the faculty found out that Carmen had stowed away. However, they sometimes wonder if it was a good idea to hire a mime as a spy since they can’t really understand what he’s trying to say.

Graham/Crackle (Michael Goldsmith): Carmen's former best friend, who took it hardest when she defected from V.I.L.E.

Antonio/El Topo (Andrew Pifko) and Jean Paul/Le Chevre (Bernardo de Paula): A pair of thieves who used to be Carmen's friends before she defected from V.I.L.E. Rarely seen without the other.

Cookie Booker (Rita Moreno): V.I.L.E.'s bookkeeper who Carmen steals the V.I.L.E. Drive from. Also the source of Carmen's trademark red coat and hat. Rita Moreno previously voiced Carmen in Where on Earth is Carmen Sandiego?

Senerio fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Sep 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
As Season 2 airs on October 1st, a reminder of the Netflix rules:

Put spoilers for the new season in spoiler tags for 3 days afterwards. Starting on October 4th, the thread will be spoiler-free. Also label your spoilers like follows:

2x04: I can't believe that Carmen went to Las Vegas to steal the Pyramids

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Aww yes! Birthday treat for me! :toot:

Edit: obligatory Rockapella:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1EIUP8tvbE

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Sep 24, 2019

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I really enjoyed the first season of this. There was a lot of silly spy fun.

But it was kinda weird how different the degrees of villainy where. In one episode they are chasing after a somewhat rare coin and in one they want to starve a country.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Honestly, I kinda appreciated that there were some hobby crimes they stopped between the country destroying ventures.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
It’s like Doctor Who, not every adventure can be about the universe ending. You have to have smaller stakes between those.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
I'm going to have to check this out. I recognize Kimiko Glenn and Kari Wahlgren from Ducktales (as Lena and Roxane Featherly respectively).

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Zack and Ivy will always be my loudmouths from Southie. :3:

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Here's the Season 2 Trailer by the way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVPgMERW42c

I'm slightly surprised to see Graham back, but I honestly shouldn't be.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
And the new season is out! Remember to keep stuff under spoilers until Friday 12 am EST!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
That's not how alexandrites look! Show's ruined.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
So my only major complaint with this season is the same complaint I have with Ducktales: Not enough Kimiko Glenn.

Quite enjoyed it otherwise. Any show with a karaoke scene is aces in my book.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Senerio posted:

So my only major complaint with this season is the same complaint I have with Ducktales: Not enough Kimiko Glenn.

Quite enjoyed it otherwise. Any show with a karaoke scene is aces in my book.

From Season 3 of Legends of Tomorrow on which Carmen and crew would fit in very well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5N49dw1vQII

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I laughed at the scene where Zach bribes the jeweler with his own watches

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I updated the thread title to reference my favorite scene. After the season I am unsure whether Episode 3 (the Shadowsan episode with Paper Star and the Karaoke scene the thread title is referencing), Episode 5 (the Zack and Ivy backstory episode.), Episode 6 (the Zack episode with the super fast car and Sterling Sterling) or episode 8 (the Ivy episode where she is mistaken for Carmen) is my favorite, and at the start of the season I didn't expect so many Zack and Ivy episodes to be near the top of my list.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

cant cook creole bream posted:

That's not how alexandrites look! Show's ruined.

Despite that, the season really ruled.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
Finished season 2. Ready for season 3 to drop right now. Feels like Chief is overreacting to Carmen's hack. I mean, how would she not expect that if she knew Carmen was observing her. Seems perfectly logical to want to find out about ACME without a bias voice.

I feel like ACME and Devineaux were really underused for this season. Season with them kinda gave an outside observation to the stuff between Carmen and VILE. Plus Julia deserves so much more screen time.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

They could've dropped a .txt explaining her motives, but I suppose that would tip them off to where she's likely to head next. I liked the lingering suspicion that Shadow-san wasn't truly undergoing a redemption arc throughout the first three episodes of this season. I like when the VILE agents get thrown off at the end of a chase, like when Neal the Eel got stuck between electric fields and Paper Star got stuck from the paper lanterns full of glue. Inspector Devineaux as a file clerk was funny.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Rockapella when?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Is there more gayness?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
One thing it took me until now to realize, but is exactly as stupid as necessary:
(Regarding the scene referenced in the title.) The reason Zack and Ivy chose to sing this particular song, is because it's by Boston. I kinda love those goofy Southies this season.

The_Doctor posted:

Is there more gayness?

I guess kinda, if you're searching for it. That stuff usually flies over my head until someone points it out.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Timby posted:

Rockapella when?

They're gonna be ACME Agents chasing Carmen, and capture someone on her team, and then the Chief will tell them to take them into custody by saying DO IT, ROCKAPELLA.

cant cook creole bream posted:

I kinda love those goofy Southies this season.

Genuinely, they jumped way up my favorite character list this season. Another thing I like this season is that it shows that Chase is genuinely a very good detective. He was able to locate VILE Island all on his own, without any of ACME's resources.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

The CSI: Miami gag made me laugh harder than normal.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Finished. Talk about burning bridges.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

This is an extremely good show with surprising complex characters, motivations, and moving parts working at cross-purposes. But the best part is that I swear they occasionally use sound effects from the SNES Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego game, the one that came with an almanac so you could look up flags and capitals.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
I burned through all of S2 on a plane ride back from Ireland yesterday, and it's definitely better than the first. Even with episodic fun they still manage to keep their overall plot going without some of the fits and starts that the first season had.

Shadow-san kept me guessing throughout the season, but it's great that he came clean and appears to be 100% on the side of Team Carmen. Episode 3 was wonderful, and the fact that it doesn't have a happy ending was a nice touch.

Zack and Ivy continue to be the best, and they both got standout focus episodes. Someone on this crew is clearly from Mass, they get the little details right. Also, Zack's no Brad Delp, but he was able to hit some of those high notes...

Also, the John Wick joke (I heard he killed twelve guys with just a pair of chopsticks or something to that effect) got a big guffaw.

I do like how they're managing the Carmen/VILE/ACME triangle, though the very final episode is a clear case of "If we talked about things we wouldn't have a problem." I know they want to save Carmen confronting the chief about the death of her father for next season, but had they just had it out at the coffee shop things might have turned out differently. Both the hack and the chief's reaction to it seemed like extreme measures. Carmen's trust issues at times seem to be logical or arbitrary depending on the expediency of the story.

That said, I hope season 3 has more Chase and Julia. I just want all these guys on the same team so they can take down VILE. :(

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
They just released a CYOA. I have yet to watch it but I've heard it's good.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Same. I rewatched the whole series in anticipation of it and yep; still rules.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
Watched it earlier today. It is worth it just for the bonus scene you get at the end for getting a “good” end. Also listen very carefully to the music they use in the credits

ZixTheYeti
Jul 12, 2005

Hellarious!
Holy poo poo that bonus scene.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

ZixTheYeti posted:

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

ZixTheYeti posted:

It started great, and then it went to eleven.

I do think it's a bit incongruous that the Acme Chief opens and closes the CYOA, given the events of the last season but whaddya gonna do.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
It's been about 3 days, so:

Now we have answered the most burning question in the entire thread:

Timby posted:

Rockapella when?

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

It's pretty clear which members of the cast have musical backgrounds/training and which ones don't. :v:

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Ivy sang the Smash theme!

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Help, I can't stop watching the bonus scene on loop.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZvt37w9sEA

Here add this

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

You monster.

The CYOA was very good, by the way. The only single, glaring flaw was the fact that it wouldn't let you leave Mime Bomb to choke to death, objectively the correct choice in that situation because gently caress that guy.

Also ... we all know that Julia has the hots for Carmen, right? That's not just me being a weirdo and reading into things that aren't there?

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
I had one bug when I was playing it. I would do Bellum's quest first, then tried the arctic rescue (both with and without Tigress' help) and then when I would jump back to Rescue or Last steal it would put me back at bellum again and I would have to jump back to the last choice in the bellum stuff and pick doing the last mission to get Cleo's to trigger properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

SardonicTyrant posted:

The CSI: Miami gag made me laugh harder than normal.

I just got to that and had to pause for a bit for laughing.

This ep looks heavily influenced by the Paris level from Hitman, and Player’s “Ok, but why models?” is straight up Zoolander. This season has really picked up the humour!

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Apr 14, 2020