Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Azhais posted:

The only part of the episode that didn't click for me was how fast Chidi decided on which book to summon :v:

Honestly, they should've had half the library fly at him, with Eleanor cringing a split second before as she realises she asked him to make a decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Sloth Life posted:

I agree, William Jackson Harper played neurotic very well but he gave Chidi a real depth and warmth that I didn't realise until it wasn't there any more. He was such a good choice for the role.

Just the simple sincerity when he's drawing the ponies and explaining that he won't feel right until he's fixed things made me basically make the same face Kristen Bell made in the scene.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Well, actually Janet brought it up, but technically it was Bad Janet, so she could have just been playing to Tahani's ego to rile her up.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Xelkelvos posted:

Oh god. Ultimate frisbee?

It really is the Bad Place

See, the Bad Place would DEFINITELY call it just Ultimate, but then it would be less clear what the joke on the poster is so...

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I guess the idea is that the human suits are unique to each demon. Like, Michael's 'human-sona' is Ted Danson, but now they can mimic other people's.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Mr. Powers posted:

I prefer 'person-a'.

That's silly, no-one in the Bad Place is a motorcycle transformer pope or sapient dress with machine guns or anything.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think Eleanor's comment that the group split in half is the key here. Chidi made a hard decision to help Brent and Brent finally started to see he was a shitlord. Simone and John bailed. That's 50/50. To use a Jason analogy: Tie game. Overtime, baby.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ApplesandOranges posted:

Honestly between Eleanor and Jason, they've got enough knowledge to make 80% of demons quake in their boots.

Also, Jason's little introduction to the group in this episode was great.

"Jason Mendoza, Jacksonville, Florida - Go Jags!"

Manny was on fire this week.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Janet also v. good this week.

"Can you make them clap louder?" "Look, they see what they see, man..."

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

GreyjoyBastard posted:

that was excellent yes

Good episode, I feel like this season's back on track (by going off the rails).

Bell was clearly having a blast being evil. She almost never gets to play the villain, unless you count Gossip Girl. Even her previous character for Schur was an bait-and-switch where you expected her to be awful, but she was basically just the rich version of Leslie.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Going by the upcoming episode titles, I assume Patty is the first 'test' of the new system, and 'When You're Ready' is either referring to when Team Cockroach get to go to the real Good Place, or when they get to take their final assessment under the new framework

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Tag yourself, I'm Darcy running back and forth and flailing.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

tsob posted:

Well he was facing a definite consequence with huge implications in both situations, and had already made a major decision in one of those instances and so had no further need to waver and could only look at what was coming. Existential dread (or existential courage I guess, in the case of when he agrees to blank his own memories) can galvanize you in ways you normally don't feel.

Yeah, and having had nearly a thousand similar experiences crammed into his head at once through the Time Knife probably made him go 'huh, this usually turns out OK'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SunshineDanceParty posted:

Ha I just rewatched the funeral episode and when Michael makes the argument about the Friends characters the only one he says should be in the good place is Phoebe.

I was gonna point out that they pretty much wrote Patty as like season 1 Phoebe, or a nicer Ursula. Also I'm gonna miss this show for letting me laugh my rear end off at beloved sitcom icons saying the dumbest poo poo. Ted Danson going "The committee! It me!" and Kudrow's "Is it an S or is it a math?" nearly broke me.